Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I had an Old Korean vet tell me about his first Kill. He said it was a Chinese mass attack and he said this guy ran for 600 yards across this open field. The Old Guy said he couldn't pull the trigger until the guy got to about 50 yards and then he realized it was him or me.

Another story he told me. He had found this American kid shot to shit and he put him on his back and started carrying back to the aid station he said about a mile away. He said the kid was talking to him and and said how bad it hurt. He said he told the kid to just lay his head down. He said he got to the aid station and the kid had died along the way.

I was told these stories 30 years ago when I was 20 years old and it moved me to hear them. It made me realize War is not a flag waving and the beat of the drum.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm an USAF network guy. Unless someone died while on the NIPRNET I had nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every enlisted Air Force member should be given their own plane.
If they could, they would.

and not no cheap turbo prop, either.

I'm talking gen 5, stealthy, thrust vectoring air show capable.

failure to do so would show a lack of strategic vision on the part of the nations leadership.

You want to be a strategic thinker, don't you?

Knock it off!

sorry.

I'm grumpy.

Too much shit going on, most of it self inflicted.

Venting is a good thing.

Nothing releives stress quite like creating a 100+ page brief-in powerpoint.

You wouldn't be the first man I killed.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
failure to do so would show a lack of strategic vision on the part of the nations leadership.

Knock it off!

sorry.
I'm grumpy.

Venting is a good thing.

I was instructed to give a brief on the differences of uniform standards between theater and Conus. I did a quick little deal, 5 minute tie your shoes wear your pt belt in theater but not in conus kind of deal. I put the relevant information out. Soldiers were reminded of the standards, leaders knew what to look for.

One of my supervisors was displeased that I called him mean names a few weeks prior with the briefing. I was directed to redo the brief, and to make it longer.

I wrote an 80 page powerpoint slide on the subject. I read, in depth, the differences between every uniform standard I could find. When I was done, I began reading verbatim out of 670-1 (uniform standards). I briefed for more than three hours before I was ordered to stop.

I am pretty sure someone wanted to kill me that day.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I usually make up something about using my knife to cut a guys throat, complete with gurgling and screaming and blood splatter and they say "really?!?" And I say "naw, but I did stomp on a guys foot once"
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to get asked that a lot. I told em I wouldn't know because I didn't know if I had or not. I've shot at people who shot at me but unless you're a sniper with a spotter do you really know? You damn sure don't when you're laying suppressing fire with a .50 and hoping your nuts don't get blown off.

They tend to get disheartened by that response because it's not what they imagined I guess.

I did however get called a baby killer once by some libtard cunt in Fl back 6-7 years ago. I'd had a few beers so without hesitation I sarcastically responded I preferred to let them grown up so they'd have a sporting chance against the war machine.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I just say no, I had Iraqis that would kill people for me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I've shot at people who shot at me but unless you're a sniper with a spotter do you really know?

Or you maneuvered within 20 Meters of your enemy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I have been asked "Did you kill anyone when you were in?" many times.
My responses are usually:
-blank stare and walk away
"Does it matter?"
-"I hurt someones feelings once." (Thank you Mr. De Niro)
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Knock it off!

sorry.
I'm grumpy.

Venting is a good thing.

I was instructed to give a brief on the differences of uniform standards between theater and Conus. I did a quick little deal, 5 minute tie your shoes wear your pt belt in theater but not in conus kind of deal. I put the relevant information out. Soldiers were reminded of the standards, leaders knew what to look for.

One of my supervisors was displeased that I called him mean names a few weeks prior with the briefing. I was directed to redo the brief, and to make it longer.

I wrote an 80 page powerpoint slide on the subject. I read, in depth, the differences between every uniform standard I could find. When I was done, I began reading verbatim out of 670-1 (uniform standards). I briefed for more than three hours before I was ordered to stop.

I am pretty sure someone wanted to kill me that day.

You are one cold dude.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#11]
When asked I usually ask them if they mean:
my first main gun kill which was a BTR-60 on the opening night of the invasion of Iraq
my first coax kill which was an RPG team a few days later
my first M-16 kill which was some idiot running from cover to cover with an AK
my first M9 kill which was at a checkpoint or
my first MRE kill which was about 50 flies that landed on the front slope of my tank and I bashed them with a pork chow mein main meal package.

That will usually leave them confused enough that I can just walk away.  If they persist and want details, then I give them details.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#12]
If people ask me and I don't want to get into conversation, I just say "I was a Mk-19 gunner, in the Infantry in Iraq, don't want to talk about it.

If it's a friend who really wants to know, and isn't just making conversation, I'll let them know.

I saw way, WAY more bodies than what I contributed. (Our RCT smoked 200+ outside al Nasaryia with 2nd LAR)
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I usually say:

"I don't know, ask the guys who were not on per diem and living in hotels."

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I never had anyone to shoot back at. Arrested a few Iraqis, and made one cry.

I have been known to tell people that I never killed any babies that didn't deserve it.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#15]
What's the big fucking deal?  Some people get so sensitive about it.  If you were running around cutting off heads and burning villages, I could see keeping it quiet.  I've been asked a few times, and I tell the truth.  It used to bother me, but I made my peace with it.  They tried to kill me first.  Fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My state is weird.  The senior leadership brought up a retired general who fought in vietnam to kinda give a pep-talk.
Like most guard, most of our senior leaders have no combat experience and some have no deployment experience.  Just the way it is.  Anyway, so they bring this guy up who has about 100 combat medals from Air Medal with V to DSC.  
He was a pilot in vietnam, so my state (which is pilot heavy) thought he was going to talk about flying.
Nope, he talks about killing.  How his two regrets in life were that he "Didn't bang more hot chicks (note, his wife was there with him) and didn't kill more dinks!"
He talks about taking different guns with him on missions so he could kill people with as many different guns as possible and his disappointment in strangling a guy and never getting his knife kill when he had the chance.  He was a qualified pilot, but served on the ground in aero scouts (Doc Bahnson is the guys name)

You should have seen the uncomfortable shifts in the room. (GOs and Colonels.  I was there as a the junior guy just pinning LTC)
I had just gotten back from deployment.  Towards the end he asked, "Who here has deployed" about 70% raised their hands.
"Who has their CIB?"  Couple of us
"Who here has killed." Just me with my hand up and 30 guys who outrank me staring at me.

he ends with "Well, at least there is one killer out there"
End of speech.

awkward, but funny as fuck.  We still email each other.
His sig line is "Fight Fiercely" or FF on text.
quite a character.

I've read that guy's book about Vietnam and he was for sure a Grade A number 1 bad ass. I'm surprised more people don't know about him. He exposed himself to enemy fire so frequently that he had no right to survive his time in combat. Doc Bahnsen was one helluva warrior and a Vietnam legend.

Col. George S Patton (L), MAJ John C. "Doc" Bahnsen (R) during their time together in the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment

Anyone who hasn't read the book American Warrior should proceed immediately to this link and buy it: http://www.amazon.com/American-Warrior-Combat-Memoir-Vietnam/dp/0806528060
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I look them in the eye and say:

"I joined the army to kill people and smoke hash out of baby skulls, I just regret that ive only been able to do one of them."
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I regret never getting to head-butt someone while wearing my kevlar.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

"I joined the army to kill people and smoke hash out of baby skulls, I just regret that ive only been able to do one of them."

One of my great friends routinely tells people his psychiatrist tells him to tell people about his small penis so he can learn to get over it and move on.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I watched the video feed from an AGM I built fly into a train of civilians, does that count.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Knock it off!

sorry.

I'm grumpy.

Venting is a good thing.

You are evil.

The only thing that I have experienced that could be considered worse is a 2-fucking-day class given via video conference.

For the record, the Navy has no clue how to run a video conference.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Knock it off!

sorry.
I'm grumpy.

Venting is a good thing.

You are evil.

The only thing that I have experienced that could be considered worse is a 2-fucking-day class given via video conference.

For the record, the Navy has no clue how to run a video conference.

The sad thing is, back 100 years ago when I was in the Army, we didnt have Powerpoint - we had these stupid sheets of clear acetate that you would run through a copier to put words or images onto, and then present them with an overhead projector.  It took a lot more effort of a 100-slide presentation, so there were not many of them.  Now, Powerpoint has made it so any goober on Earth can squeeze a 200-page nightmare out of their ass.  

Now I work for a civilian software company, and we are doing some maintenance software for the Army, so suddenly, I am doing Army presentation powerpoints!
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Being Air Force I don't have that problem.  Usually they ask me what type of plane I fly.    That often happened while wearing SSgt
stripes.  

When I was a F-16 crew chief we would get asked stupid questions like that during air shows. The external wing tanks are actually bombs. The pitot probe is actually a laser cannon. My favorite one is telling people that the oil vent (look in the exhaust on a GE motor and you see a tube pointed at you dead center of the motor) is the rear cannon. So you can shoot people that get behind you.  And if an attractive woman would ask if I'm a pilot the correct answer is "yes I am".
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#25]
<–– Not .mil

I'd imagine its hyped up the same as having sex for the first time.

Afterwards you dont feel any different.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Seriously?  You're asking this in GD?  You're going to get about 50 chest thumping responses from well trained civilians telling you that what they felt when they killed their last Taliban was "recoil".  You're going to be completely ignored by your target audience, and ridiculed by others. Why would you ask such an inane question when you could have it answered honestly here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=11&f=1

I for one, enjoy reading responses in these threads.  One of the greatest things about ARFCOM is the presence of our military members.

And for threads like these to be hidden away, so that people are unable to interface between the two is very very frustrating.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been asked that question before. I respond something along the lines of 'I never had to kill anyone and I'm glad for it.'

I don't think it's rude if a kid asks it. They're just curious about something very alien to their experiences. They see killing in the media and are somewhat aware of the toll killing takes on the survivor.

If an adult asks it it's more complicated. Is it a hippie asking in the sense of calling you a murderer? Does it make your point to live up to their stereotypes and say some grizzled war vet BS? I think it's a better idea to break their stereotype and talk honestly about it if you've been in that situation.

Is it a CCW permit holder asking because he's balancing the risks and benefits of a defensive action in his head?

This is part of what it is to be a vet. It's not all cake and ice cream and VA benefits when you get home. You're also a representative for military people to the general populace.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It's not all cake and ice cream and VA benefits when you get home.

I had more ice cream in Iraq than in all my years stateside

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of my great friends routinely tells people his psychiatrist tells him to tell people about his small penis so he can learn to get over it and move on.

I had a buddy of mine who told a Naval psychiatrist that all he wanted to do was rip people's eyelids off so he could watch the Dr. blink during the whole session.

He tells it much better than I do.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#30]
I answer them honestly:  I've never killed anyone and hope I never have to.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

<–– Not .mil

I felt like the biggest, baddest, swinging dick stud in the pasture after having sex for the first time.

I wrecked that broad like a TOW hitting a technical!  

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I felt like the biggest, baddest, swinging dick stud in the pasture after having sex for the first time.

Saw this myself, from the air.

ETA:

Not sure if it was a tow or not...might have been a SMAW or sic....either way, the skinnies didn't like the outcome.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<–– Not .mil

Lasted about as long as the time in flight, too.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Knock it off!

sorry.
I'm grumpy.

Venting is a good thing.

Don't fucking encourage it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<–– Not .mil

Lasted about as long as the time in flight, too.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Knock it off!

sorry.

I'm grumpy.

Venting is a good thing.

Don't fucking encourage it.

I find it entertaining and it makes quite a few of my fellow Air Force weenies uncomfortable.  For some reason I enjoy that.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What do you say when people ask you what it's like to kill a man?

I get asked this all the time, usually by kids. I usually just walk away but my buddy likes to mess with people,

"It felt pretty good to slaughter that village but the kids wouldn't STFU so I'm really mean to them" etc Is what he usually says.

Tell them:

It sucks, that person was somebody child, father, brother, etc
but sometimes in life unpleasant things things need to be done.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#38]
To you all who have done the deed for this country, thank you for shouldering the burden.

I know it would mess with me.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's nasty, especially with a nod mount
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It breaks your nods mount.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#41]
We were on our final FTX  at Sill, just relaxing, BSing with our PS  in, an all too unfamiliar brief second of almost human compassion, learning squad movement...
and the resident platoon window-licker asked our Drill Sergeant that question out of the fucking blue...READ: (2 tours, CIB, AB,)
after the knife hand was sheathed and 45 minutes of the most scathing smoking I could ever remember in my 8 weeks to that point, we proceeded to low crawl for about 1000 yards.

if you have to ask, you don't don't fully understand.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Most that answer it would be lying since the vast majority of Soldiers have not had a man in their sights. A lot have fired at people but to say you have killed a man would mean a certain level of attention and control was needed to confirm that your threat was eliminated. I personnaly would not answer it and would find it a bit offensive for soemone to expect me to have to relive it for their satisfaction.

That sums up what I'm thinking.
I don't like discussing shit like that with civilians.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most that answer it would be lying since the vast majority of Soldiers have not had a man in their sights. A lot have fired at people but to say you have killed a man would mean a certain level of attention and control was needed to confirm that your threat was eliminated. I personnaly would not answer it and would find it a bit offensive for soemone to expect me to have to relive it for their satisfaction.

That sums up what I'm thinking.

I don't like discussing shit like that with civilians.

I'm strangely comfortable with it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#44]
"Thanks for making me re-live that, asshole."

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I've never fired a round from my service weapons at a person.

But having been in a self defense shoot, I just say it wasn't worth the stress or anguish, and it takes a long long time to come to terms with what you did. No matter whether it was justified or not.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#46]
I guess I'm the odd one out.  I really don't care at all.  People are curious animals, and it is an odd experience that 99% of people will never have.  I usually tell them about my second deployment and the fact that I was seriously distraught because I felt more anguish over killing a guys dog on accident than shooting a man.  It's not chest thumping or anything like that, it's just a strange emotional disconnect that can come with the territory.  I mean I was a Lance at the time of my first kill, and it was "cool" among the guys to get kills.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I guess I'm the odd one out. I really don't care at all. People are curious animals, and it is an odd experience that 99% of people will never have. I usually tell them about my second deployment and the fact that I was seriously distraught because I felt more anguish over killing a guys dog on accident than shooting a man. It's not chest thumping or anything like that, it's just a strange emotional disconnect that can come with the territory. I mean I was a Lance at the time of my first kill, and it was "cool" among the guys to get kills.

I am kinda the same way.

I am not going to pretend to be distraught or moody over it.

Killing taliban was a very primal, satisfying thing.  I honestly wish I had killed more.  Maybe I am a psychopath.  Don't really care.  They were my enemy, they chose their path, I chose mine.  Especially knowing what they do to civilians.  Some people need to die.  I am OK with doing it.

Now, co-axing Kurdish draftees in DS?  That would be somewhat problematic for me.  

I talk with young officers and soldiers on the subject and have given Law of Warfare, leadership OPDs and NCODPs on my experiences so I have gotten more comfortable taking about it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I think society conditions people to think the "I dont want to talk about it" is the correct response, as seen in this thread.

I have for sure, me only, killed a couple of people and never been bothered by it. Only happy I performed well when I needed to.

But you cant go around saying that or average joes and the book On Killing say you are a psychopath.

When I first got back from Iraq, I guess I wasnt thinking and happily talked with enthusiasm about the time I blew up a suicide van with an AT4 and how it was a great time. (among other stories) I got really bad reactions from people I would not have expected them from.

So I generally stopped telling people war stories, not because I dont like to, but because it elicits a bad reaction.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think society conditions people to think the "I dont want to talk about it" is the correct response, as seen in this thread.

I have for sure, me only, killed a couple of people and never been bothered by it. Only happy I performed well when I needed to.

But you cant go around saying that or average joes and the book On Killing say you are a psychopath.

When I first got back from Iraq, I guess I wasnt thinking and happily talked with enthusiasm about the time I blew up a suicide van with an AT4 and how it was a great time. (among other stories) I got really bad reactions from people I would not have expected them from.

So I generally stopped telling people war stories, not because I dont like to, but because it elicits a bad reaction.
I read "On Killing" and thought it was crap personally.  

I doubt I will ever fire a round in anger in the Mil.  I am more likely to than most Air Force personnel, but the chances are still pretty low.

I have had one on duty shooting in the civilian world and it did not phase me.  The retardation I had to deal with after the shooting bothered me more.  I can honestly say I hope to never have to do it again, but will if the situation calls for it.  

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#50]
When i get asked that question, i react differently depending on who ask.
Adults get "Why do you think that is an appropriate question?" Then I go into a rant about their thinking before speaking and what difference would it be to them if I have.

Kids I ask why they want to know usually it because they think it is cool to have done something like that (it usually does not matter if it is a soldier or a gangster who did it). They get a honest answer and the a lecture about why is something they want to avoid doing themselves unless to protect themselves.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top