Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Except for the dope part I like the song....and the sentiment. If I could find a version that excludes that verse I'd d/l it.

It's a libertarian song, the dope part is part and parcel of it, integral to the whole, sine qua non.

The alternative is to write and sing your own song.

Link Posted: 3/1/2011 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Who sings the song WAY OUT HERE?

Josh Thompson.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Whiney
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Except for the dope part I like the song....and the sentiment. If I could find a version that excludes that verse I'd d/l it.

Quoted:

like it except for the weed reference

YA DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!!!11!!!111!2

Link Posted: 3/1/2011 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Country folk are in every state, not just in the South....it only takes five minutes of talking with someone to figure out if they are true 'salt of the earth'....however in defense of the south, I would have to say there is a larger concentration of country folk than anywhere else.

Agreed. Despite popular belief the Redneck Family Tree has many branches- it's a way of life, a state of mind, not a place.

+ fucking 1.

You guys in the South do not have a monopoly on "country boys".

Edit for posting when half asleep
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Dupe, but good either way
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess he couldnt make it singing that scream-o emo shit, so now he's trying his hand at the Kid-Rock style "Rock-a-Country" shit.

It started out confusing enough. There isnt much of a chorus, the verses seem to run into one another, and lets be honest, Lewis doesnt have what most would call a great voice. I dont suppose all of those Marlboro Reds help. .........and just when things seem like they couldnt be more of a clusterfuck,  they bring (rolled) in the Possum , and that clouded the water up even further.   It was just a clusterfuck. Just a clusterfuck.

But scince he mentions "9" and ".45" (and a the Possum) the majority of the membership here will download it to thier i-pods.

+1

I'm curious what some fuckstick from Massachusetts knows about being a country boy, atleast by my definition of such. It is probably a lot like the country boy from the city of Detroit.

just for clarification, I actually like the song and like Kid Rock, but being a fake cowboy/country boy doesn't do much for me. I know what a "country boy" is. YMMV

quoted to show how idiots on here seem to think the "country" equates to the south.  Plenty of country up in our areas.  Kid Rock is from Romeo, Michigan.  Romeo is in a pretty rural area.  Alot of farm land.  So I would say Kid is pretty close to being from the "country".
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the song. First I've heard of it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You guys in the South do have a monopoly on "country boys".

Agreed. And we like it that way.

Link Posted: 3/1/2011 4:42:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Just another washed up artist trying to call himself country cause its what everyone is doin. I'm so sick of these Hollywood country artist. Its a lifestyle before its a brand of music for people. Like someone said there just doing what sells right now. Singing about it doesn't make you a country boy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I like.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess he couldnt make it singing that scream-o emo shit, so now he's trying his hand at the Kid-Rock style "Rock-a-Country" shit.

It started out confusing enough. There isnt much of a chorus, the verses seem to run into one another, and lets be honest, Lewis doesnt have what most would call a great voice. I dont suppose all of those Marlboro Reds help. .........and just when things seem like they couldnt be more of a clusterfuck,  they bring (rolled) in the Possum , and that clouded the water up even further.   It was just a clusterfuck. Just a clusterfuck.

But scince he mentions "9" and ".45" (and a the Possum) the majority of the membership here will download it to thier i-pods.

+1

I'm curious what some fuckstick from Massachusetts knows about being a country boy, atleast by my definition of such. It is probably a lot like the country boy from the city of Detroit.

just for clarification, I actually like the song and like Kid Rock, but being a fake cowboy/country boy doesn't do much for me. I know what a "country boy" is. YMMV

Out of curiosity have you ever LEFT Ms? I've covered 46 of the 48 states and 33% of the world and although Ms has the lock on a lot of stuff (the majority of it being undesirable as I dated 3 women from there years ago) being a "country boy" isn't one of them. Maybe trailer houses, poor education, and cars on blocks but you can find hill billies all over the damn planet. One of the biggest renecks I know is from Washington state, another 3 or 4 from Pa, one from Rhode Island who would rather hunt and fish than breathe.

I always get a kick out of people from cities with populations of 5 (all related) and a 28k connection thinking that anything north of them is obviously all shiny lights and Lexus cars.

And this video is a dupe, I posted it  2 months ago, love the song
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

quoted to show how idiots on here seem to think the "country" equates to the south.  Plenty of country up in our areas.  Kid Rock is from Romeo, Michigan.  Romeo is in a pretty rural area.  Alot of farm land.  So I would say Kid is pretty close to being from the "country".

You've taken my post out of context.  I'm not criticizing his roots, I'm criticizing his style, and his song.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I kinda feel the same way but at the same time, I'm not concerned enough with what someone else does to let it bother me. I personally have no use for it but I try to subscribe to the "live and let live" mentality otherwise I'd have a stroke just from shit I see every day. I guess if smoking a little pot is the worst thing he's doing, he's probably better off than most of the meth billies I work around on rigs daily.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

You've taken my post out of context.  I'm not criticizing his roots, I'm criticizing his style, and his song.

No I understand your post.  I was refering to Rebelceb.  He says that no one from Mass or MI would no shit about being a "country boy", like its a thing only of the south
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#17]
That song sounds like Nickelback's "Rockstar" married Bon Jovi's "Dead or Alive" and gave the baby a dobro to play with.

Not bad, but I was sure I'd heard every part of it before.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
One of my current fav songs

The song itself is not the best SOUNDING song, but gotta love the words
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool song and I'm hardly a big listener to country music.

Is he from the Boston area ? ( I dont know )

Massachusetts is a pretty big state , with an awfully lot of rural areas .  

One doesn't necessarily need be from South of the Mason-Dixon to be a 'country-boy' ..........you cant automatically assume someone from New York , Michigan, or Massachusetts is going to dress/act like someone raised in Brooklyn , Detroit or Boston.

As much as many Southerners would like to think so , they absolutely do not have a monopoly on  'rednecks' , 'hicks' , 'cowboys' or 'country-boys' .

he is from the Springfield area.

longmeadow

while close to springfield, its WAY different

money in longmeadow

eta: the median household income in the town was $75,461, and the median family income was $87,742

not crazy money, but still

Link Posted: 3/1/2011 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Liked it. Prolly stick it in a playlist somewhere
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I like it
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#22]
i like it!
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Before you all pass judgment on the guy (not the song) remember some times people lose there way and focus on life.  I know I forgot the way I grew up and gave up on what I was taught by my father and it doesn't mean a thing in my life now.

If he's is true to the song then I'm sure he got a big wake up call from Hollywood life at some point figured out that he pissed away friends and family.

As far as him being a real country boy you all need to pull your heads out your asses. Just because someone sings or listens to rock has not one thing to do with it.  You all act like you have to be born into it or something ignorant like that .
 Hell most real country folks don't even know there country.   Most of us had no idea when you go up north they don't put sugar in the tea or have fried chicken at the gas station

The one poster said it best he's one of us I don't care if you like the song but cut the guy some slack there are plenty of rednecks from Massachusetts I got one living across from me.    

Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Before you all pass judgment on the guy (not the song) remember some times people lose there way and focus on life.  I know I forgot the way I grew up and gave up on what I was taught by my father and it doesn't mean a thing in my life now.

If he's is true to the song then I'm sure he got a big wake up call from Hollywood life at some point figured out that he pissed away friends and family.

As far as him being a real country boy you all need to pull your heads out your asses. Just because someone sings or listens to rock has not one thing to do with it.  You all act like you have to be born into it or something ignorant like that .
 Hell most real country folks don't even know there country.   Most of us had no idea when you go up north they don't put sugar in the tea or have fried chicken at the gas station

The one poster said it best he's one of us I don't care if you like the song but cut the guy some slack there are plenty of rednecks from Massachusetts I got one living across from me.    

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m292/mc556/us-sccsa.gif

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've read all evening.

Tea without sugar, an abomination to be sure.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#26]
neck tat-Dont tread on me
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Honestly, we've never heard about this song before.  Completely new!

Not a fan.  Good message, bad music, whiny singer who probably knows about as much as me about being country (and I don't know jack about it).
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You know what I love?

How the "country" of ARFCOM is so quick to lay claim to what is and is not "country."  Oh, he can't be country, he's from Massachusetts.

Give. me. a. break.
"Country" is a commercialized, marketed product - just the same as emo, hipster, that 'alternative' debacle back in the 90s, punk, and dozens of others.  The only reason there's no redneck section in Hot Topic is because someone decided that it's more "country" to shop at Wal*Mart instead.

This is why I'm not a country boy.  I'm not a redneck.  I refuse to ascribe to the lifestyle and the philosophy that I have to be purposefully ignorant.
I love shooting.  I love fishing and hunting.  I love taking a fast vehicle down a muddy trail, I love drinking beer, and I love my family.  Not crazy about NASCAR, but whatever.
Despite my love for all most things "redneck," I am not one myself.  Because it's a stupid label with no meaning.

If you guys want to pick up that banner and wave it proudly, go for it.  But the rest of us think you're pretty ridiculous for championing such a commercialized, absurd cause.

How does one subscribe to your newsletter?
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m292/mc556/us-sccsa.gif]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m292/mc556/us-sccsa.gif[/url]

I had that experience once... I went out to Arizona and I asked for sweet tea at a Denny's (out there for a paintball tournament) and they lady asked if I wanted raspberry or lemon....

I was like LOL WUT
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

You know what I love?

How the "country" of ARFCOM is so quick to lay claim to what is and is not "country."  Oh, he can't be country, he's from Massachusetts.

Give. me. a. break.

"Country" is a commercialized, marketed product - just the same as emo, hipster, that 'alternative' debacle back in the 90s, punk, and dozens of others.  The only reason there's no redneck section in Hot Topic is because someone decided that it's more "country" to shop at Wal*Mart instead.

This is why I'm not a country boy.  I'm not a redneck.  I refuse to ascribe to the lifestyle and the philosophy that I have to be purposefully ignorant.

I love shooting.  I love fishing and hunting.  I love taking a fast vehicle down a muddy trail, I love drinking beer, and I love my family.  Not crazy about NASCAR, but whatever.

Despite my love for all most things "redneck," I am not one myself.  Because it's a stupid label with no meaning.

If you guys want to pick up that banner and wave it proudly, go for it.  But the rest of us think you're pretty ridiculous for championing such a commercialized, absurd cause.

I am a redneck. My father is too. That term has been around long before you decided it was commercialized. I'd even wager you don't have a fucking clue what it really means, or where it came from. To those of us that do, it does have meaning. It carries the pride of those of us that have come from humble beginnings, and fought to become a functional, valuable member of the working class.

You need to not speak of what you don't understand. Also, those of us that do wave the banner, don't give two shits about what you think. Have a nice day.

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
You know what I love?

Give. me. a. break.

I am a redneck. My father is too. That term has been around long before you decided it was commercialized. I'd even wager you don't have a fucking clue what it really means, or where it came from. To those of us that do, it does have meaning. It carries the pride of those of us that have come from humble beginnings, and fought to become a functional, valuable member of the working class.

You need to not speak of what you don't understand. Also, those of us that do wave the banner, don't give two shits about what you think. Have a nice day.

someone forgot to take their meds today
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#34]
It's sort of a caricature of Country boy can survive.  As if the writers sat down with their collective bong and said "Let's write something that will appeal to those inbred rednecks down south"

He did manage to tap into our collective subconscious to an extent, but it seems a little contrived.

Regardless, it's pretty cool that people are trying to cash in on our demographic and mindset.

I have a hard time criticizing any song that features guns and the Gadsden flag.  The lyrics are good, but the the song is slow, drawn out and depressing.

Let me know when the CDB does a remake with a picked up tempo and some asskickin guitar, banjo and fiddle licks.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I like it and will be adding it to my iPod playlist.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

It's sort of like Dr Dre singing country music, isn't it.

Not really, no.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Good to see the Possum get in a verse, I love that guy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I like it.

I don't like Staind either.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really, no.

No, it it.

He's talking about how he got his nine wiffem errware he go, smoke that weed, don't like the po-lice, etc etc.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really, no.

No, it it.

He's talking about how he got his nine wiffem errware he go, smoke that weed, don't like the po-lice, etc etc.

Are you really going to troll this country music thread?
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really, no.

No, it it.

You're the one trolling with personal comments...

I find it quite interesting that this song has such stark paralells with gangster rap music.

Rap and Country have always been the sort of indigenous music styles of the underclass, urban and rural respectively. Both rely on southern dialects, and both are usually about very mundane stuff.

You don't hear much country music that addresses the themes of gangster rap though- carrying his nine with him, smoking weed, resenting authority.

It's really quite fascinating, and it's not something I'd ever have come across if not for reading this thread.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really, no.

No, it it.

Please dont refer to that as country music.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag for home.

I listen to country music, but the song doesn't ring a bell.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

That's because it's not really country- Aaron Lewis is the lead singer for Staind

You know I was all about this guy until I found out he was a singer for such a douche band.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn, I really liked the lyrics.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Cool song,i like it alot.He's also a stand up guy,i wouldn't be surprised if he's a member here.He lives in Worthington wich is a pretty small backwoods town in Western MA.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really, no.

No, it it.

I find it quite interesting that this song has such stark paralells with gangster rap music.

Rap and Country have always been the sort of indigenous music styles of the underclass, urban and rural respectively. Both rely on southern dialects, and both are usually about very mundane stuff.

You don't hear much country music that addresses the themes of gangster rap though- carrying his nine with him, smoking weed, resenting authority.

It's really quite fascinating, and it's not something I'd ever have come across if not for reading this thread.

How about that, country is underclass and on par with rap.

What genre does the elite listen to in your house?
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really, no.

No, it it.

Yes of course it is, that's not exactly something in dispute anywhere...

It's sort of like getting dressed up and going to the opera or an orchestra, but on the other end of the spectrum.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Do you really think that the South has a monopoly on rural living, rural/agricultural skills like hunting, fishing, farming, etc?
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Here a better one.... YMMV

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really, no.

No, it it.

Yes of course it is, that's not exactly something in dispute anywhere...

It's sort of like getting dressed up and going to the opera or an orchestra, but on the other end of the spectrum.

I've attended opera, musicals and symphonies. I still prefer Country.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top