BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2011 5:22:33 PM EDT
Wife and I were debating this today:

-Two lane highway
-Bus moving normally (but slowly....below speed limit), transporting kids, no stops.
-Bus has that flashing light on the top rear flashing, but, again, isn't stopping. Just transporting kids.
-Broken center stripe (i.e. passing zone)

Well?
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure why it would be illegal.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Legal.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#3]
as long as you don't exceed the posted speed limit and it is done in a place where passing is permissable and safe to do so, I don't see why not (as least here in CO)
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#4]
2 lane???  Highly illegal  Most bus drivers will take your plate number down and turn you in
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
2 lane???  Highly illegal  Most bus drivers will take your plate number down and turn you in

Not here.

Link Posted: 2/26/2011 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Legal here.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Only illegal if the lights are flashing red and the stop arm is out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

For what?  

You can pass a School bus as long as it's warning signals aren't lit.

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title49/T49CH14SECT49-1422.htm

49-1422.Overtaking and passing school bus. (1) The driver of a vehicle
meeting or overtaking from either direction any school bus stopped
on the highway shall stop before reaching the school bus when there
is in operation on a school bus the visual signals specified in section 49-915, Idaho Code,
and the driver of a vehicle shall not proceed until the school bus
resumes motion or the visual signals are no longer actuated. Oncoming
traffic on a highway of more than three (3) lanes is not required
to stop upon meeting a school bus when visual signals are actuated.
Any person found guilty of violating the provisions of this subsection
shall be fined an amount of not less than one hundred dollars ($100)
nor more than five hundred dollars ($500).

Link Posted: 2/26/2011 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

-Two lane highway
-Bus moving normally (but slowly....below speed limit), transporting kids, no stops.
-Bus has that flashing light on the top rear flashing, but, again, isn't stopping. Just transporting kids.

Well?

Flashing light being a white revolving beacon?  If so, passable as long as the red flashers and stop sign aren't activiated.

I don't write many traffic tickets but passing a stopped schoolbus with it's red flashers on will get you my signature.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Perfectly legal here, provided the the lane is marked with intermittent stripes (allowed passing zone) and it is safe to proceed.

The newer buses have a flashing white LED on top as a cautionary device, which they keep switched on while rolling just to heighten their visual profile for other motorists (sometimes it is still dark when they are making their morning runs).

The only time you cannot pass one is when the yellow side flashers activate and the side mounted "STOP" sign begins to deploy to the open position, or (obviously) when the red flashers are on, the STOP sign is fully deployed, and the bus is stopped to take on or drop off students.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#11]
let me get this straight:

Bus is just driving along, not dumping off the rug rats, not with the arm out, not with the 4 red lights going, it is just going 35mph on a road that is a legal passing area?

if So, yes it isl OK to do.

make sure ya get the camera out and take a pic of the kid licking the window, I missed one last week of a Bambino licking a display case.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

this.

that little strobe light on top always flashes if the bus is running.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it depends on the state.  Had a buddy get a ticket for thin in PA back inthe 80's.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#14]
A school bus is not different than any other vehicle unless its red lights are flashing and its stop sign is out. Then you shall not pass from either direction.

Unless... It is a divided highway with a median or separating barrier, then you can pass if you are oncoming.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/26/2011 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#16]
In TX they will usually pull onto the shoulder after every stop on rural roads to let people pass.

I don't think it's illegal to pass them, but it makes me nervous.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 7:05:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Pass that mother fucking cheese wagon.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Get used to it up there in the north.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AND if the bus is stopped.

Link Posted: 2/26/2011 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#20]
It is in VA  If they pop out that stupid semaphore, you're supposed to stop.

Fuck that.  I've blown right pasty those pieces of shit on Reston Parkway.  If you need a law, make a law that says the bus driver can't let kids wander into the street, or if the bus driver can't be held accountable, pass a law saying the parents must be there to pick up their spawn.  Don't gum up traffic over this ridiculous, feel-good BS.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

-Two lane highway

-Bus has that flashing light on the top rear flashing, but, again, isn't stopping ...

Well?

Link Posted: 2/26/2011 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not here.

or here i do it all the time.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Fuck that.  I've blown right pasty those pieces of shit on Reston Parkway.  If you need a law, make a law that says the bus driver can't let kids wander into the street, or if the bus driver can't be held accountable, pass a law saying the parents must be there to pick up their spawn.  Don't gum up traffic over this ridiculous, feel-good BS.

Amazing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Agree.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amazing.

He'll either learn or walk when the state pull his license.

Link Posted: 2/26/2011 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

-Two lane highway

Well?
if the lights are flashing but the bus isn't slowing down t is driver error.  you can pass.

if it is stopping  you may get a ticekt if passing.

Link Posted: 2/26/2011 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Of course it's legal.  Only illegal if the red lights are flashing and the little fold out stop sign is out, and then it's illegal for both passing and oncoming vehicles.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Of course it's legal.  Only illegal if the red lights are flashing and the little fold out stop sign is out, and then it's illegal for both passing and oncoming vehicles.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
-Two lane highway
Well?

Flashing yellow or red?
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Two lane highway

Well?

Flashing yellow or red?

Probably white.  I've noticed that a lot of new school buses have a white strobe on top, very annoying to other drivers when it is pitch black out.  It's on all the time, stopped or moving.

Link Posted: 2/26/2011 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Legal 'round here, as far as I know.

If a bus is not stopped with the signals on, it should be treated the same as other traffic.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

-Two lane highway

Well?

Now here's the question.  If the school bus is moving down the road with its lights flashing and honking its horn, do you have to pull over like it is an emergency vehicle?
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A school bus is not different than any other vehicle unless its red lights are flashing and its stop sign is out. Then you shall not pass from either direction.

Unless... It is a divided highway with a median or separating barrier, then you can pass if you are oncoming.

This part seems to confuse a lot of people around here.

I get a lot of ugly looks, when I zoom past the people stopped for the twinkie bus on the other side of the divided highway on the way in to work.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 4:48:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
-Two lane highway
Well?

Flashing yellow or red?

Probably white.  I've noticed that a lot of new school buses have a white strobe on top, very annoying to other drivers when it is pitch black out.  It's on all the time, stopped or moving.

Correct on both counts.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 4:49:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Two lane highway

Well?

Now here's the question.  If the school bus is moving down the road with its lights flashing and honking its horn, do you have to pull over like it is an emergency vehicle?

Hmmm.....is the bus on a treadmill?
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 5:04:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
-Two lane highway
Well?

Flashing yellow or red?

The buses here have the white strobe.  It blinds me if I'm behind a bus while it's still dark out.

What's the best way to make your childrens' trip to school safer?  Ensure that any drivers behind the bus can't see the fucking road!  What a brilliant idea
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 5:06:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What a brilliant idea

Reason #36083561082765 why you should homeschool.

Link Posted: 2/27/2011 5:53:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Turn you in for what..........Like thats gonna fly.......lol
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 6:11:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There's one in every thread that has to spout something totally wrong, unbelievable, and state it as fact.

And by the way, what is the difference between "illegal" and "highly illegal"?
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 6:12:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Reading comprehension fail, the bus isn't stopped and the flashing reds aren't on.  

Didn't stop you from outing yourself as a POS though
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 6:15:20 AM EDT
[#41]
In Cali you can't pass a moving school bus that is displaying the yellow warning lights, which indicate that the driver intends to stop soon to pick up or let off kids.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 6:16:52 AM EDT
[#42]
If their yellow lights are flashing and not their red lights you can pass. If you are travelling in the opposite direction there needs to be a
physical median between the two directions of travel before you can pass, when red lights are flashing. Painted lines are not
considered a true median.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazing.

He'll either learn or walk when the state pull his license.

That or he will know what its like to be on a bus when they take his license.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#45]
legal
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#46]
You may pass, my son.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
2 lane???  Highly illegal Most bus drivers will take your plate number down and turn you in

As opposed to "just sort of" illegal?
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Fuck that.  I've blown right pasty those pieces of shit on Reston Parkway. If you need a law, make a law that says the bus driver can't let kids wander into the street, or if the bus driver can't be held accountable, pass a law saying the parents must be there to pick up their spawn.  Don't gum up traffic over this ridiculous, feel-good BS.

pure win right there
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a brilliant idea

Reason #36083561082765 why youeveryone should homeschool.

fix'd
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

yes
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top