Site Notices
4/17/2014 3:33:50 PM
Author
Posted: 2/13/2011 10:09:56 AM

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
I'm not talking about bums sitting on the curb or a wall drinking out of a paper bag either.

When I buy beer, the clerks always insist on putting it in a bag. Even if I don't buy anything else, and can easily carry the beer.

So, beer nerds and cops, what law requires it go in a bag?

Also, I've heard the reason bums drink out of paper bags is so the cops don't have probable cause to inspect the container to see if there is alcohol in it, and thus prevents them from getting an open container ticket That sounds like a legal fiction if there ever was one. But, I guess that could be the law.
cat-mechanic
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2011 10:11:23 AM
So next time by a 30 pack and see if they have a bag that fits.
"Just because you're old, doesn't mean you have to sit in the corner and drool."
George H.W. Bush on his 85th birthday

Thanks Ripak for the membership.
itsARanchrifle
Home of tier 1 ranch goats and cattle.
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2011 10:12:25 AM
In Texas the beer doesn't have to be in a bag , but liquor has to be .
Look , you wanna play blindman go walk with the sheppard.

Wear the fox hat.

Proud member of " Team Ranstad "
sel366
Pie Taste Tester Champion 41 years Running
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2011 10:14:08 AM
It's so it doesn't scare teh childrens.
Baffle them with Bullshit is what I always say. Also, FUGseriesFAIL! Arcoms most hated/loathed troll. Thanks to the Arfcom staff that banned this FUCKNUT! Though he will be back.
JustinOK34
Professional Left-Hand Turner
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2011 10:15:28 AM
You live in Oklahoma don't you?

A 6 pack of bottled beer generally doesn't come in an enclosed container (yes I realize a few do though), so as it was explained to me some time ago that is considered "open container". I believe the liquor stores must bag those items.

(ie 12 packs of beer, cases of beer, etc, all are sold in a fully enclosed carboard container).
D-47
Free Rodent!
Waldo
World's Foremost Glock Hater
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2011 10:25:19 AM

There are a lot of archaic state laws on the books with regards to alcohol sales.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it..
crazyquik
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2011 2:02:31 PM
Originally Posted By JustinOK34:

A 6 pack of bottled beer generally doesn't come in an enclosed container (yes I realize a few do though), so as it was explained to me some time ago that is considered "open container". I believe the liquor stores must bag those items.

(ie 12 packs of beer, cases of beer, etc, all are sold in a fully enclosed carboard container).

North Carolina.

Basically the same for booze purposes, probably. I don't think we ever had the 3% beer though.
benbpi
lol wut...
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2011 2:05:03 PM
[Last Edit: 2/13/2011 2:06:23 PM by benbpi]
Virginia doesn't have that law I believe, but we put them in bags just in case and our customers demand it.

and this too
replicators
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2011 2:08:52 PM

The 2 liquor stores I frequent rarely even offer to bag beer.
corwin1968
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2011 2:17:11 PM
[Last Edit: 2/13/2011 2:19:02 PM by corwin1968]
Originally Posted By crazyquik:

North Carolina.

Basically the same for booze purposes, probably. I don't think we ever had the 3% beer though.

Hopefully, by this time next year, we won't have it either!

And, if everything goes right we'll be able to buy it COLD and at a GROCERY STORE on a SUNDAY!!! Wine too.

Oklahoma might actually come into the modern century with it's alcohol laws.
replicators
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2011 2:18:50 PM
Originally Posted By corwin1968:

North Carolina.

Is that on the horizon?
cyrus-the-virus
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2011 2:21:00 PM
I just do it out of habit.

I don't bother with bottled 6 packs because it just rips the plastic. But canned 6-packs and singles just go in. Most of the customers request it.
corwin1968
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2011 2:21:12 PM
Originally Posted By replicators:
Originally Posted By corwin1968:

North Carolina.

Is that on the horizon?

I'm not following it too closely but there have been several news articles stating there is significant support in the OK legislature to seriously update our liquor laws.
allenNH
tempted the devil with my song
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2011 2:23:58 PM
I haven't had my beer or liquor put in a bag in forever, they just "don't do that" around here. The liquor does usually get put in a box though, who buys only one or two bottles at a time?

How the hell can that be open container? That law, everywhere I've been, applies to the cans/bottles themselves, not the packaging they are in.
"Laws are no longer made by a rational process of public discussion; they are made by a process of blackmail and intimidation, and they are executed in the same manner"
Melvinator2k0
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2011 2:27:52 PM

Originally Posted By itsARanchrifle:

You sure about that? It may be just local city ordinances, but every time I buy singles, it goes in a paper bag.
crazyquik
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2011 2:30:33 PM
Six pack, singles, or 3 pack. I've tried not to get it in a bag, and they are pretty adamant that it has to go in one.
txinvestigator
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2011 4:24:52 PM

Liquor does not either.
txinvestigator
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2011 4:26:37 PM
Originally Posted By Melvinator2k0:

You sure about that? It may be just local city ordinances, but every time I buy singles, it goes in a paper bag.

Neither beer nor liquor must be delivered or transported in a bag.
oarlock
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2011 6:11:12 PM
[Last Edit: 2/13/2011 6:11:29 PM by oarlock]
Its a Baptist thing you wouldn't understand!
20iner
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2011 6:15:20 PM

Originally Posted By allenNH:
I haven't had my beer or liquor put in a bag in forever, they just "don't do that" around here. The liquor does usually get put in a box though, who buys only one or two bottles at a time?

How the hell can that be open container? That law, everywhere I've been, applies to the cans/bottles themselves, not the packaging they are in.

I think you can be charged with open container in my state if you're heading over to a buddies house and you have your opened 18 pack in the car. Say I buy an 18 pack, have a few, then go to a buddies house the next night. Gotta put it in the trunk. But with the way cops are when it comes to alcohol in Alaska, I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't even do that.