Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2011 6:09:56 AM EDT
I'm not talking about bums sitting on the curb or a wall drinking out of a paper bag either.

When I buy beer, the clerks always insist on putting it in a bag.  Even if I don't buy anything else, and can easily carry the beer.  

So, beer nerds and cops, what law requires it go in a bag?

Also, I've heard the reason bums drink out of paper bags is so the cops don't have probable cause to inspect the container to see if there is alcohol in it, and thus prevents them from getting an open container ticket    That sounds like a legal fiction if there ever was one.  But, I guess that could be the law.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 6:11:23 AM EDT
[#1]
So next time by a 30 pack and see if they have a bag that fits.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 6:12:25 AM EDT
[#2]
In Texas the beer doesn't have to be in a bag , but liquor has to be .
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 6:14:08 AM EDT
[#3]
It's so it doesn't scare teh childrens.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 6:15:28 AM EDT
[#4]
You live in Oklahoma don't you?

A 6 pack of bottled beer generally doesn't come in an enclosed container (yes I realize a few do though), so as it was explained to me some time ago that is considered "open container".  I believe the liquor stores must bag those items.

(ie 12 packs of beer, cases of beer, etc, all are sold in a fully enclosed carboard container).
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 6:25:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A 6 pack of bottled beer generally doesn't come in an enclosed container (yes I realize a few do though), so as it was explained to me some time ago that is considered "open container".  I believe the liquor stores must bag those items.

(ie 12 packs of beer, cases of beer, etc, all are sold in a fully enclosed carboard container).

North Carolina.

Basically the same for booze purposes, probably. I don't think we ever had the 3% beer though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Virginia doesn't have that law I believe, but we put them in bags just in case and our customers demand it.

Quoted:

and this too
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The 2 liquor stores I frequent rarely even offer to bag beer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

North Carolina.

Basically the same for booze purposes, probably. I don't think we ever had the 3% beer though.

Hopefully, by this time next year, we won't have it either!  

And, if everything goes right we'll be able to buy it COLD and at a GROCERY STORE on a SUNDAY!!!    Wine too.  

Oklahoma might actually come into the modern century with it's alcohol laws.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

North Carolina.

Is that on the horizon?
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I just do it out of habit.

I don't bother with bottled 6 packs because it just rips the plastic. But canned 6-packs and singles just go in. Most of the customers request it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 10:21:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

North Carolina.

Is that on the horizon?

I'm not following it too closely but there have been several news articles stating there is significant support in the OK legislature to seriously update our liquor laws.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I haven't had my beer or liquor put in a bag in forever, they just "don't do that" around here.  The liquor does usually get put in a box though, who buys only one or two bottles at a time?  

Quoted:

How the hell can that be open container?  That law, everywhere I've been, applies to the cans/bottles themselves, not the packaging they are in.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You sure about that? It may be just local city ordinances, but every time I buy singles, it goes in a paper bag.

Link Posted: 2/13/2011 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Six pack, singles, or 3 pack.  I've tried not to get it in a bag, and they are pretty adamant that it has to go in one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Liquor does not either.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You sure about that? It may be just local city ordinances, but every time I buy singles, it goes in a paper bag.

Neither beer nor liquor must be delivered or transported in a bag.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Its a Baptist thing you wouldn't understand!
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I haven't had my beer or liquor put in a bag in forever, they just "don't do that" around here.  The liquor does usually get put in a box though, who buys only one or two bottles at a time?  

Quoted:

How the hell can that be open container?  That law, everywhere I've been, applies to the cans/bottles themselves, not the packaging they are in.

I think you can be charged with open container in my state if you're heading over to a buddies house and you have your opened 18 pack in the car. Say I buy an 18 pack, have a few, then go to a buddies house the next night. Gotta put it in the trunk. But with the way cops are when it comes to alcohol in Alaska, I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't even do that.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top