Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 537
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#1]
How much money are they out of? Do they still have a business or means of income? Basically were their lives ruined without being convicted of anything?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 10:35:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems like I read when the story broke that the feds took everything they owned
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By learath:
Originally Posted By shooter_tx:
Originally Posted By JPN:
Would be nice if they came across files containing the documents that Holder is withholding from the committee, and released those.

Might actually get some news coverage.

IIRC, it wouldn't be the first time Anonymous has been our 'friend'...

Sadly nothing they produce can be used as evidence.

I'm pretty sure evidence obtained through a third party is admissible as long as the third party wasn't directed to find it and instead found it and gave it of their own volition.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
Originally Posted By Kevyn:
Another big ATF FAIL day.

De-fund and disband that agency. They are an embarrassment and liability. They lie, cheat, steal and murder with seeming immunity.

I hope and pray the Reese family is "made whole" for ALL their losses.

See, it's not even about being "made whole." It's about punishing the wrong doers, and punishing them severely.  Because if its just the "government" paying a settlement, the perpetrators don't have any skin in the game.   I think the US attys have culpability in this case too.  They withheld evidence.  At a minimum, he should be disbarred.

Didn't the same thing happen with the case about the Oly AR-15 that malfunctioned and 'went auto' on a public range?  The defense didn't know (until after the trial) that the BATF lab's report said the rifle was not capable of firing multiple shots from a single trigger pull, until the lead agent had them redo the tests using ammo with improperly seated primers (which can cause slamfires).

I'm assuming you're talking about the David Olofson case?

I remember all of the rest, except the part about an ATF lab report stating what the rest of us in that thread already knew/suspected.

Len Savage is in this thread, too, IIRC... but I doubt he checks it on a regular basis.

As I recall, the BATF lab tested the rifle, and reported that they could not get it to fire more than one round with a single pull of the trigger.  Then the lab repeated their previous tests, and reported  that the rifle would fire more than one round with a single pull of the trigger.  The defense learned that the rifle had been tested twice (and determined not to be a machinegun after the first test) after the trial.  Somewhere along the way, it came out that the lead agent had requested that the test be done again, and gave instructions on the ammo that was to be used.

If my memory isn't off.

It's not.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SKWhitlc:

De-fund and disband that agency. They are an embarrassment and liability. They lie, cheat, steal and murder with seeming immunity.

See, it's not even about being "made whole." It's about punishing the wrong doers, and punishing them severely.  Because if its just the "government" paying a settlement, the perpetrators don't have any skin in the game.   I think the US attys have culpability in this case too.  They withheld evidence.  At a minimum, he should be disbarred.

Didn't the same thing happen with the case about the Oly AR-15 that malfunctioned and 'went auto' on a public range?  The defense didn't know (until after the trial) that the BATF lab's report said the rifle was not capable of firing multiple shots from a single trigger pull, until the lead agent had them redo the tests using ammo with improperly seated primers (which can cause slamfires).

I remember all of the rest, except the part about an ATF lab report stating what the rest of us in that thread already knew/suspected.

Len Savage is in this thread, too, IIRC... but I doubt he checks it on a regular basis.

As I recall, the BATF lab tested the rifle, and reported that they could not get it to fire more than one round with a single pull of the trigger.  Then the lab repeated their previous tests, and reported  that the rifle would fire more than one round with a single pull of the trigger.  The defense learned that the rifle had been tested twice (and determined not to be a machinegun after the first test) after the trial.  Somewhere along the way, it came out that the lead agent had requested that the test be done again, and gave instructions on the ammo that was to be used.

If my memory isn't off.

It's not.

What was sickening was the handful of people we had - even here on a gun rights forum - trolling the shit out of that thread, smearing Olofson, and spreading misinformation and lies about the details of the case.

There's one member in particular that made my permanent shit list after that stunt...  I hope he gets the full anal rape of an ATF railroad job in return for his troubles.  Unless his job is providing them, which I kind of suspect it might be as hard as he sucked their balls.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 6:33:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sixnine] [#6]
Glenn Beck on Ruby Ridge and Waco

Link Posted: 2/12/2013 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#8]
CBSNews: Family of second murdered federal agent files lawsuit against U.S. government over "Fast and Furious" - CBS News
A second wrongful death lawsuit has been filed blaming U.S. government officials involved in the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives' "Operation Fast and Furious," which allowed thousands of weapons to fall into the hands of Mexican drug cartels.

Tuesday, the Texas family of fallen Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agent Jaime Zapata sued the Justice Department, the Department of Homeland Security, the former head of the ATF and others they blame in Zapata's death.

In February 2011, Zapata and his partner Victor Avila were gunned down in Mexico by suspected drug cartel members. Avila survived but was critically injured and has joined Zapata's family in the suit.

As CBS News reported, at least two of the murder weapons had been trafficked by suspects the ATF had under surveillance but failed to arrest. Zapata's parents argue that if ATF agents had arrested the suspects and confiscated the weapons early on, the rifles might not have been used in their son's murder.
More at link.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Tracy Schmaler leaving DOJ

Tracy Schmaler, a top aide to Attorney General Eric Holder who has been working in the Justice Department's public affairs shop since 2009, is leaving DOJ to join a public relations firm founded by former White House senior advisor David Axelrod.

Schmaler, whose last day will be March 8, has been DOJ's top flack throughout the congressional investigation into ATF's Operation Fast and Furious as well as DOJ's defense of the Affordable Care Act. She'll be joining ASGK Public Strategies as managing director, heading a new practice group that will focus on crisis communications as well as litigation, regulatory and congressional matters.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By miker84:
Tracy Schmaler leaving DOJ

Tracy Schmaler, a top aide to Attorney General Eric Holder who has been working in the Justice Department's public affairs shop since 2009, is leaving DOJ to join a public relations firm founded by former White House senior advisor David Axelrod.

Schmaler, whose last day will be March 8, has been DOJ's top flack throughout the congressional investigation into ATF's Operation Fast and Furious as well as DOJ's defense of the Affordable Care Act. She'll be joining ASGK Public Strategies as managing director, heading a new practice group that will focus on crisis communications as well as litigation, regulatory and congressional matters.

The rats scatter...
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Everrest:
CBSNews: Family of second murdered federal agent files lawsuit against U.S. government over "Fast and Furious" - CBS News
A second wrongful death lawsuit has been filed blaming U.S. government officials involved in the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives' "Operation Fast and Furious," which allowed thousands of weapons to fall into the hands of Mexican drug cartels.

Tuesday, the Texas family of fallen Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agent Jaime Zapata sued the Justice Department, the Department of Homeland Security, the former head of the ATF and others they blame in Zapata's death.

In February 2011, Zapata and his partner Victor Avila were gunned down in Mexico by suspected drug cartel members. Avila survived but was critically injured and has joined Zapata's family in the suit.

As CBS News reported, at least two of the murder weapons had been trafficked by suspects the ATF had under surveillance but failed to arrest. Zapata's parents argue that if ATF agents had arrested the suspects and confiscated the weapons early on, the rifles might not have been used in their son's murder.
More at link.

How many people are needed for a class action lawsuit?  Wonder if they considered that route, and if so why they chose not to take that path?
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Someone that writes better than I should put the F&F story on the following web site.

http://www.barackobama.com/stories/gun-violence/all/all/
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TX_M1:

More at link.

How many people are needed for a class action lawsuit?  Wonder if they considered that route, and if so why they chose not to take that path?

I would imagine they're trying to slow-walk the truth out of the feds, as the feds have been slow (and loathe) to admit... anything... about this entire damned story that doesn't fit the anti-gun narrative.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 12:23:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shooter_tx] [#15]
To continue some of the earlier conversation about US Attys and the Reese case:

Via [national] Gun Rights Examiner David Codrea:
Today's Gun Rights Examiner report notes a temporary hold, and asks for your help to make it permanent, so that another Obama nominee who gets convictions against those he persecutes by withholding evidence from juries doesn't get elevated to the federal bench. Am I asking too much?

Here's his most recent piece:
Judicial nomination held over for U.S. Attorney in Reese case

The Senate Judiciary Committee “held over” the nomination of United States Attorney Kenneth J. Gonzales to be a U.S. District Judge for the District of New Mexico district yesterday. Nominated by President Barack Obama last November, Gonzales’s suitability for the post may be under scrutiny due to the way his office has handled the prosecution of the Reese family on gun and money laundering charges.

<snip>

That assessment is based on the opinion of Judge Robert C. Brack, who in granting the motion for a new trial observed “there is no doubt the prosecution, intentionally or negligently suppressed the evidence.”

The Judiciary Committee’s decision to hold the nomination has no doubt been influenced by these developments, which would have never come to light had the family not decided to fight the charges against them and to not give up against crushing odds, and had a handful of activists not taken it upon themselves to bring details of their ordeal to light that the mainstream press has ignored.

Whether that will be enough to keep the nomination from going forward, or whether Obama’s choice of Gonzales will be confirmed is unknown. Those who are concerned about elevating a U.S. Attorney who has presided over a pattern of prosecutorial misconduct to the federal bench can make their views known to Ranking member Sen. Charles Grassley, and request that he investigate the appropriateness of giving such a man even more power.

<snip>

[more at link]

And my separate thread:
Judicial nomination held over for U.S. Attorney in Reese case
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 8:25:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Everrest] [#16]
David Codrea: Holder answer on contempt charge shows disrespect for more than Congress - National gun rights | Examiner.com
Reacting to statements by Attorney General Eric Holder that he did not respect members of Congress, House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform Chairman Darrell Issa issued a statement today calling the head of the Justice Department “arrogantly dismissive.”

Holders comments came in an ABC News interview Wednesday, responding to a question by Pierre Thomas about being found in contempt of Congress over the Fast and Furious gunwalking scandal.

“I have to tell you that for me to really be affected by what happened, I’d have to have respect for the people who voted in that way,” Holder replied. “And I didn’t, so it didn’t have that huge an impact on me.”

“Attorney General Holder’s admission that he does not respect the Democratic and Republican Members of Congress who voted to hold him in contempt offers a window into why Washington is so dysfunctional,” Issa responded. “President Obama once campaigned as someone who wanted to bring America together but instead appointed divisive and highly partisan figures like Attorney General Holder who are arrogantly dismissive of those who question them and demand transparency.

“Finding out why the Justice Department made false denials about Operation Fast and Furious, and only corrected the record after ten months of public pressure, is a legitimate exercise of congressional authority,” Issa concluded. “The Attorney General clearly believes he is above the law and is not accountable to the duly elected representatives of the American people or the institutions of our democracy.”
More at link.

ETA:
Chairman Issa on Holder Statement that he doesn’t “Respect” Congress February 28, 2013
WASHINGTON –Today, Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa released the following responding to the Attorney General’s statement that he does not respect members of Congress, including 17 Democrats, who voted to hold him in contempt:

“Attorney General Holder’s admission that he does not respect the Democratic and Republican Members of Congress who voted to hold him in contempt offers a window into why Washington is so dysfunctional,” said Chairman Issa. “President Obama once campaigned as someone who wanted to bring America together but instead appointed divisive and highly partisan figures like Attorney General Holder who are arrogantly dismissive of those who question them and demand transparency. 

“Finding out why the Justice Department made false denials about Operation Fast and Furious, and only corrected the record after ten months of public pressure, is a legitimate exercise of congressional authority. The Attorney General clearly believes he is above the law and is not accountable to the duly elected representatives of the American people or the institutions of our democracy.”

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#17]
David Codrea: Holder answer on contempt charge shows disrespect for more than Congress - National gun rights | Examiner.com
Reacting to statements by Attorney General Eric Holder that he did not respect members of Congress, House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform Chairman Darrell Issa issued a statement today calling the head of the Justice Department “arrogantly dismissive.”

Holders comments came in an ABC News interview Wednesday, responding to a question by Pierre Thomas about being found in contempt of Congress over the Fast and Furious gunwalking scandal.

“I have to tell you that for me to really be affected by what happened, I’d have to have respect for the people who voted in that way,” Holder replied. “And I didn’t, so it didn’t have that huge an impact on me.”

“Attorney General Holder’s admission that he does not respect the Democratic and Republican Members of Congress who voted to hold him in contempt offers a window into why Washington is so dysfunctional,” Issa responded. “President Obama once campaigned as someone who wanted to bring America together but instead appointed divisive and highly partisan figures like Attorney General Holder who are arrogantly dismissive of those who question them and demand transparency.

“Finding out why the Justice Department made false denials about Operation Fast and Furious, and only corrected the record after ten months of public pressure, is a legitimate exercise of congressional authority,” Issa concluded. “The Attorney General clearly believes he is above the law and is not accountable to the duly elected representatives of the American people or the institutions of our democracy.”
More at link.

ETA:
Chairman Issa on Holder Statement that he doesn’t “Respect” Congress February 28, 2013
WASHINGTON –Today, Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa released the following responding to the Attorney General’s statement that he does not respect members of Congress, including 17 Democrats, who voted to hold him in contempt:

“Attorney General Holder’s admission that he does not respect the Democratic and Republican Members of Congress who voted to hold him in contempt offers a window into why Washington is so dysfunctional,” said Chairman Issa. “President Obama once campaigned as someone who wanted to bring America together but instead appointed divisive and highly partisan figures like Attorney General Holder who are arrogantly dismissive of those who question them and demand transparency. 

“Finding out why the Justice Department made false denials about Operation Fast and Furious, and only corrected the record after ten months of public pressure, is a legitimate exercise of congressional authority. The Attorney General clearly believes he is above the law and is not accountable to the duly elected representatives of the American people or the institutions of our democracy.”

Which reminds me where is the civil suit at?

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By hugh1:
--

Which civil suits?  The Terry family's?  The Zapata family's?  Or the Oversight & Reform suit for docs?
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Sirveaux:
--

Which civil suits?  The Terry family's?  The Zapata family's?  Or the Oversight & Reform suit for docs?
Sorry,I forgot there was more than one, I was referring to the Reform suit for doc's.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#20]
The status of Oversight & Reform's page on F&F does not bode well:

http://issues.oversight.house.gov/fastandfurious/
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#21]

"Did not know"

"Do not recall"

All of these and similar answers should not be an acceptable response, they should, no must, be made to answer truthfully. I have no faith whatsoever in a system that allows people to "not remember". In the future I will not be as reasonable as I have been because I know that it carries no weight, I will be campaigning for someone who has the fortitude to actually do their job and I will be very vocal about those that do not meet muster. I will do everything in my power to teach those in office that what they do is not acceptable to me and that their lip service in matters as grave and disturbing as this have consequences.

From now on I will make it my duty to make sure a Republican is never elected to office until they realize that they have an obligation to be something other than a wolf in sheep's clothing, the faster this current crop is destroyed the sooner the new and hopefully improved breed will be ready to act honorably.

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 11:16:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shooter_tx] [#22]
Originally Posted By sixnine:
How much money are they out of? Do they still have a business or means of income? Basically were their lives ruined without being convicted of anything?

It looks like we now have an answer to your questions, courtesy of David Codrea:
<snip>

They're broke. They've been broke.  They'll continue to be broke.  And the government just guaranteed their bills will do nothing but grow with its latest appeal.

<snip>

more at link
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Guess this was just some pre-election bluster.  

Expected that.  Hoped for better, but expected that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 1:28:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: polymer4me] [#24]

So part 3 of the report was never released?

Can't say I'm surprised

As to the Reese case ... this should scare ALL of US! Our fedgov and all it's many tentacles are completely out of control. It's actually been this way in many departments for a very long time (ATF, FBI - just to name a couple). But now the whole damn system of checks and balances is being deliberately dismantled before our very eyes. The "Total Transformation" that our fearless leader commie overlord has spoken of so many times is in full swing.

Keep your powder dry folks ... it's gonna be a dangerous and bumpy ride

ETA - FBHO

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Part 3 is likely going to be delayed because they need to investigate the claim of Executive Privilege.

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Ted Cruz had some good questions for Holder.
Skip to 7:00 for Fast and furious.
Sen. Ted Cruz Q&A with Attorney General Eric Holder - 03/06/2013
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Ted Cruz had some good questions for Holder.
Skip to 7:00 for Fast and furious.
Sen. Ted Cruz Q&A with Attorney General Eric Holder - 03/06/2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsy01ljGcy0

And he is one of those few I was speaking about in my rant above, and in the perilously fragile state of Texas no less. He IS the kind of Conservative I will be championing, the rest can stand on their record, nothing they say can change my mind.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 6:27:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Sort of refreshing to see Rand Paul's stand. I think that has received more airtime than all of the F&F coverage combined.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Why do I feel that this will wind up going nowhere?  I feel dirty & no shower will make me clean.  Folks need to stand trial for this & I fear it will never happen with all the back room deal making.  God help us all.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By P_squared:
Why do I feel that this will wind up going nowhere?  I feel dirty & no shower will make me clean.  Folks need to stand trial for this & I fear it will never happen with all the back room deal making.  God help us all.

They are going to stand trial in a civil case, and probably end up broke.

Can their pensions (if they are eligible) be touched in that case?

Link Posted: 3/9/2013 1:44:25 AM EDT
[#31]
DrugWarAnalyst is writing a new book and it will include a section on Fast and Furious.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 7:29:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By burbanite:
DrugWarAnalyst is writing a new book and it will include a section on Fast and Furious.

And it too will do nothing. These bastards beat us and they dont care. They will do it again as they have a million times before.

Link Posted: 3/9/2013 7:39:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Rogue-Sasquatch:
Originally Posted By SKWhitlc:

If my memory isn't off.

It's not.

What was sickening was the handful of people we had - even here on a gun rights forum - trolling the shit out of that thread, smearing Olofson, and spreading misinformation and lies about the details of the case.

There's one member in particular that made my permanent shit list after that stunt...  I hope he gets the full anal rape of an ATF railroad job in return for his troubles.  Unless his job is providing them, which I kind of suspect it might be as hard as he sucked their balls.  

I looked into it. The so called m16 parts he looked for on the internet were from posts where he asked for trade ar15 parts and m16 accessories like mag pouches and slings. He was even carful to say pouches and slings and was still railroaded.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By P_squared:

It seems to be getting lost in the crowd.  Kinda like a criminal being arrested and charged with a long list of crimes, and people can't remember every charge.

The question is whether any of the charges will stick, or if their attorney (the news media) will get them off.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Have any of the straw buyers been sentences yet? The reason I ask is that would not this free up evidences like wire taps from being sealed? There is no question that would go a long way toward  telling who in DOJ new what when and where.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Have any of the straw buyers been sentences yet? The reason I ask is that would not this free up evidences like wire taps from being sealed? There is no question that would go a long way toward  telling who in DOJ new what when and where.

Of who?  The dealers forced into straw sales?
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 12:41:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Eric Holder's personal finances have been leaked:

http://www.opensecrets.org/pfds/candlook.php?CID=N99999942

Not sure if relevant, but could be some interesting correlations for the investigative reporters covering this.
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 3:19:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 6:30:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Garryowen:
Motherfucker is worth $8 million dollars and he's been in Govt service for the last 10 years or so? How the fuck does that happen (legally or ethically)?

I do not know if he falls under the same rules or not, but I know there are no insider trading laws for Congress.  Wouldn't be surprised t find out he takes advantage of that, too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Motherfucker is worth $8 million dollars and he's been in Govt service for the last 10 years or so? How the fuck does that happen (legally or ethically)?

Payments from the cartels?
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#41]

Payments from the cartels?

His net worth means way less than his change in net worth.
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 11:41:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hugh1] [#42]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
Eric Holder's personal finances have been leaked:

http://www.opensecrets.org/pfds/candlook.php?CID=N99999942

Not sure if relevant, but could be some interesting correlations for the investigative reporters covering this.
Looks like he pretty much followed the Dow with maybe a slightly more aggressive investment plan than most. But if you have 8 million you can afford to do that.

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Holder was a senior partner at Covington & Burling in Washington, D.C. for several years between government jobs.  Probably made most of his money there representing "his people".
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#44]

What has Eric Holder ever done that indicates he has ethics?
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Fast and Furious: Two Years Later, Still a Battle for Transparency
Watchdog Wire is well aware of one of the most underreported scandals in U.S. history known as Operation Fast and Furious– a program started in September 2009 in which the United States Department of Justice [DOJ] sanctioned and watched the sale of 2500
AK-47s and .50 caliber sniper rifles to Mexican drug cartel members.  DOJ through its subordinate Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, knowingly allowed the weapons to not only be illegally purchased, but trafficked from the United States into Mexico into the hands of violent criminals notorious for carrying out gruesome murders south of the border.

Two and a half years, two dead Americans and hundreds of dead Mexican nationals later, we’ve still seen little to no transparency from the Obama administration on the issue of Fast and Furious or general DOJ gun trafficking policy. The ongoing lack of transparency from the Department of Justice under the leadership of Attorney General Eric Holder started just hours after Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry was killed on December 15, 2010. Fast and Furious guns were left at the murder scene.
More at link.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#46]
House panel tells judge: Justice's offer in Fast & Furious settlement a 'grave disappointment'

In a joint filing Friday night, the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee told the judge in the case that a settlement offer it received from the Justice Department this week was a "grave disappointment" and that a settlement is not possible.
"The parties are very, very far apart," lawyers for the GOP-led committee wrote. "Indeed, they are not even conceptually on the same page. After nearly four months of negotiating in good faith, the committee reluctantly has concluded -- principally as a result of the department's settlement document -- that the attorney general is not serious about settlement." The committee added that it didn't think court-ordered mediation would help.

In a January court filing, the Justice Department had reported progress in settlement talks, prompting U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson to postpone a hearing that had been scheduled for the following week. That hearing is scheduled to take place next month.
Since that filing, Holder told ABC News that the contempt vote didn't bother him.
"But I have to tell you that for me to really be affected by what happened, I'd have to have respect for the people who voted in that way," Holder said in the interview last month. "And I didn't, so it didn't have that huge an impact on me.
"

more at link....

what a douche
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By miker84:
House panel tells judge: Justice's offer in Fast & Furious settlement a 'grave disappointment'

In a joint filing Friday night, the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee told the judge in the case that a settlement offer it received from the Justice Department this week was a "grave disappointment" and that a settlement is not possible.
"The parties are very, very far apart," lawyers for the GOP-led committee wrote. "Indeed, they are not even conceptually on the same page. After nearly four months of negotiating in good faith, the committee reluctantly has concluded -- principally as a result of the department's settlement document -- that the attorney general is not serious about settlement." The committee added that it didn't think court-ordered mediation would help.

In a January court filing, the Justice Department had reported progress in settlement talks, prompting U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson to postpone a hearing that had been scheduled for the following week. That hearing is scheduled to take place next month.
Since that filing, Holder told ABC News that the contempt vote didn't bother him.
"But I have to tell you that for me to really be affected by what happened, I'd have to have respect for the people who voted in that way," Holder said in the interview last month. "And I didn't, so it didn't have that huge an impact on me.
"

more at link....

what a douche

He needs to be in jail.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Just coming to post this new development of secrecy and shame.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 12:53:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#49]
Originally Posted By 44Regular:
Holder was a senior partner at Covington & Burling in Washington, D.C. for several years between government jobs.  Probably made most of his money there representing "his people".

They represented Chiquita Bananas in their "Let's use the AUC & Colombian FARC as torture extortionists/port security for banana shipments" legal case.

Chiquita Banana Legal Case/FARC/Eric Holder

Cincinnati-based Chiquita has been growing bananas in Colombia since 1899. For over four decades these operations have been under attack – first by the Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia (FARC), a left-wing guerrilla group, and then by Autodefensas Unidas de Colombia (AUC), a paramilitary group created by ranchers and drug traffickers.

Court documents show that Chiquita executives paid off both groups. FARC was paid between $20,000 and $100,000 a month. Chiquita has also admitted to making over 100 payments totaling $1.7 million to the AUC or affiliated organizations over seven years.

The villagers have accused the AUC of  a number of human rights abuses including torturing and killing at least 40 people in the town of Mapiripan in July 1997 and then killing 36 people and torturing dozens in a February 2000 operation.

Court documents also show that a shipment of 3,000 AK-47 assault rifles and 5 million rounds of ammunition from Nicaragua in 2001 was invoiced to Chiquita. The armaments were delivered to Chiquita warehouses and then trucked to the AUC by Chiquita, according to the legal papers.

Chiquita, which was represented by Eric Holder, admitted the payments and paid a fine of $25 million. (Holder has since been appointed U.S. attorney general in 2009 by Barack Obama)

That's one possible reason why Holder is worth $8 million.  This drug & arms smuggling business seems to be well-known to him.  Check this out:

http://www.newsytype.com/6861-chiquita-terrorism/
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
Originally Posted By 44Regular:

They represented Chiquita Bananas in their "Let's use the AUC & Colombian FARC as torture extortionists/port security for banana shipments" legal case.

Chiquita Banana Legal Case/FARC/Eric Holder

Cincinnati-based Chiquita has been growing bananas in Colombia since 1899. For over four decades these operations have been under attack – first by the Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia (FARC), a left-wing guerrilla group, and then by Autodefensas Unidas de Colombia (AUC), a paramilitary group created by ranchers and drug traffickers.

Court documents show that Chiquita executives paid off both groups. FARC was paid between $20,000 and $100,000 a month. Chiquita has also admitted to making over 100 payments totaling $1.7 million to the AUC or affiliated organizations over seven years.

The villagers have accused the AUC of  a number of human rights abuses including torturing and killing at least 40 people in the town of Mapiripan in July 1997 and then killing 36 people and torturing dozens in a February 2000 operation.

Court documents also show that a shipment of 3,000 AK-47 assault rifles and 5 million rounds of ammunition from Nicaragua in 2001 was invoiced to Chiquita. The armaments were delivered to Chiquita warehouses and then trucked to the AUC by Chiquita, according to the legal papers.

Chiquita, which was represented by Eric Holder, admitted the payments and paid a fine of $25 million. (Holder has since been appointed U.S. attorney general in 2009 by Barack Obama)

That's one possible reason why Holder is worth $8 million.  This drug & arms smuggling business seems to be well-known to him.  Check this out:

http://www.newsytype.com/6861-chiquita-terrorism/

Are you hinting there may have been an additional personal monetary reason for him doing F&F?
Page / 537
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top