Page / 537
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, look who's back in the story.

Lawmakers push to interview ex-White House aide in 'Fast and Furious'
By Ed Henry
Published March 28, 2012
| FoxNews.com

WASHINGTON –  Two top Republican lawmakers investigating the Fast and Furious controversy are demanding the White House make a former aide available for testimony to see whether the scandal reached the upper echelons of the administration, according to a letter obtained by Fox News.

Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., and Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, fired off the letter Wednesday urging the White House to make available Kevin O'Reilly, a former National Security Council staffer who is currently stationed in Iraq for the State Department.

The lawmakers are giving White House staffers the deadline of April 4 to respond, with Republican aides privately saying the back-and-forth could provoke a showdown over executive privilege if the administration tries to shield O'Reilly from talking to investigators.

Read more on Fox News.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:35:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lumpy03] [#2]
As usual, AlphaJaguars, you're on top of this.

I was just going to post the link.

Funny, though, how fast o"Reilly was disappeareded after Melson's boy in Phoenix dropped his name in the oversight hearings.

Hope O'R doesn't suddenly get Secretary Ron Brown'd/ Beitbarted or Vince Fostered.

If so, I'd like to hear the WH explain that...  

'03
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Lumpy03:
As usual, AlphaJaguars, you're on top of this.

I was just going to post the link.

Funny, though, how fast o"Reilly was disappeareded after Melson's boy in Phoenix dropped his name in the oversight hearings.

Hope O'R doesn't suddenly get Secretary Ron Brown'd/ Beitbarted or Vince Fostered.

If so, I'd like to hear the WH explain that...  

'03

No explanation necessary when his plane crashes while on the way to DC to testi-lie...
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 10:14:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:11:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: polymer4me] [#5]
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:

By Ed Henry
Published March 28, 2012
| FoxNews.com

WASHINGTON –  Two top Republican lawmakers investigating the Fast and Furious controversy are demanding the White House make a former aide available for testimony to see whether the scandal reached the upper echelons of the administration, according to a letter obtained by Fox News.

Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., and Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, fired off the letter Wednesday urging the White House to make available Kevin O'Reilly, a former National Security Council staffer who is currently stationed in Iraq for the State Department.

The lawmakers are giving White House staffers the deadline of April 4 to respond, with Republican aides privately saying the back-and-forth could provoke a showdown over executive privilege if the administration tries to shield O'Reilly from talking to investigators.

Read more on Fox News.

I know this was the case ... but I thought he had already returned to the States? IIRC, I thought this was mentioned towards the end of 2011?

Don't remember the source for sure, but think it might have been SSI??? Or am I just dreaming this

ETA -  there have been so many twists & turns with this fiasco, it's sometimes hard to keep track of everything

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By polymer4me:

By Ed Henry
Published March 28, 2012
| FoxNews.com

Read more on Fox News.

I know this was the case ... but I thought he had already returned to the States? IIRC, I thought this was mentioned towards the end of 2011?

Don't remember the source for sure, but think it might have been SSI??? Or am I just dreaming this

ETA -  there have been so many twists & turns with this fiasco, it's sometimes hard to keep track of everything

There are so many CIs involved in this that I've lost track of who is who and many other things.

From the fox article
"To date, the White House has not complied with multiple congressional requests to interview O'Reilly," the lawmakers wrote to White House Counsel Kathryn Ruemmler. "Our staffers have had extensive discussions with lawyers in your office, who have represented that the White House does not perceive any need for us to interview O'Reilly and consequently will not make arrangements for him to speak to us."

White House spokesman Eric Schultz said in response: "White House Counsel is reviewing the letter and will respond as appropriate. But broadly speaking, while some personnel in the White House were made aware of ATF's efforts to combat gun trafficking along the southwest border, including Operation Fast and Furious, there has been no evidence to suggest that anyone at the White House knew about any decision to allow guns to 'walk' to Mexico."

So now we go from nobody in the whitehouse  knew to "while some personnel in the White House were made aware".
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Everrest:

By Ed Henry
Published March 28, 2012
| FoxNews.com

Read more on Fox News.

There are so many CIs involved in this that I've lost track of who is who and many other things.

From the fox article
"To date, the White House has not complied with multiple congressional requests to interview O'Reilly," the lawmakers wrote to White House Counsel Kathryn Ruemmler. "Our staffers have had extensive discussions with lawyers in your office, who have represented that the White House does not perceive any need for us to interview O'Reilly and consequently will not make arrangements for him to speak to us."

White House spokesman Eric Schultz said in response: "White House Counsel is reviewing the letter and will respond as appropriate. But broadly speaking, while some personnel in the White House were made aware of ATF's efforts to combat gun trafficking along the southwest border, including Operation Fast and Furious, there has been no evidence to suggest that anyone at the White House knew about any decision to allow guns to 'walk' to Mexico."

So now we go from nobody in the whitehouse  knew to "while some personnel in the White House were made aware".
OK know lets get down to narrowly speaking. To do that Issa needs people in front of him under oath. The stalling has to stop.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I just keep thinking, a professional interrogator in Iraq could get ALL the information requested by the committee from Mr. O'Reilly if he's still there.

But I too am working under the impression that Mr. O'Reilly has returned from Iraq.

Did anyone notice that Fox is describing him as a 'FORMER' NSC 'staffer?

Mr. O'Reilly has been closely associated with The State Department and Hilary Clinton... He 'was' the National Security Council 'ADVISOR'

That may have changed recently...bit of a downgrade in jobs, heh? I guess the 'under the radar emails' "lit up" when the radar was pointed in the correct direction.

http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2011/10/ssi-exclusive-is-this-any-way-to-run.html

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By hugh1:

By Ed Henry

Published March 28, 2012

| FoxNews.com

Read more on Fox News.

From the fox article

OK know lets get down to narrowly speaking. To do that Issa needs people in front of him under oath. The stalling has to stop.

"White House does not perceive any need for us to interview O'Reilly"

So now the White House is running the Congressional hearings?

WTF?

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By us-kiwi:

Originally Posted By hugh1:

By Ed Henry

Published March 28, 2012

| FoxNews.com

Read more on Fox News.

From the fox article

"White House does not perceive any need for us to interview O'Reilly"

So now the White House is running the Congressional hearings?

WTF?

WH:  "O'Reilly doesn't know anything so you don't need to interview him"

Grassley & Issa:   "That's BS and you know it, that's why you disappeared him to Iraq as soon as his name came up in testimony"

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Phone FIREMISSION - like never before.

How many Congresscritters to date have called for a vote of no confidence in Holder? 120 or so?

that's not enough !!

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Can someone find for me the video of Newell, at the very beginning, responding to gunwalking questions by saying "Hell NO! we don't allow guns to walk" or something to that extent.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 12:23:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andrapos] [#14]

Originally Posted By NoloContendere:

Can someone find for me the video of Newell, at the very beginning, responding to gunwalking questions by saying "Hell NO! we don't allow guns to walk" or something to that extent.

This one?  No speakers at work, tryin to post from phone  ETA: 4minute mark has what you are looking for

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 12:29:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Everrest] [#15]
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Another question that needs to be asked is, How many F&F/ATF walked guns have showed up in crimes since the murder of Brian Terry?

These weapons that the ATF walked had been consistently turning up in crimes in Mexico and the US, but once the public found out that the weapons were part of an ATF program, all of a sudden the unaccounted for weapons quit being used in crimes?

I'd like to know when and where these weapons are, and have been turning up.

The DOJ is keeping a lot of secrets about where these weapons have turned up since the murder of Brian Terry.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Slain border agent's family 'sickened' by revelations

by Mackenzie Weinger - Mar. 28, 2012 04:05 PM

POLITICO.COM

The family of the U.S. Border Patrol agent killed in connection with Operation Fast and Furious said it "is sickened" to learn that law enforcement agencies were not sharing information that could have possibly closed the investigation early and spared his death and other bloodshed.

"The Terry Family, like most of America, is sickened to read the latest revelations relating to ATF's error-plagued and misguided Fast and Furious Investigation," the family of slain agent Brian Terry wrote in a statement. "It is beyond our comprehension that U.S. federal law enforcement agencies were not talking with one another."

The Los Angeles Times reported last week it had obtained documents showing that the law enforcement agencies were not coordinating their respective investigations. The ATF released the alleged gun trafficker Manuel Fabian Celis-Acosta in May 2010 in the hopes he would bring them two drug lords, who were actually brothers and FBI informants, Eduardo and Jesus Miramontes-Varela. After Celis-Acosta was arrested in Feb. 2011, the Los Angeles Times reported the ATF learned that the brothers were secret FBI informants.

The Arizona Republic is a member of the Politico Network.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/pinal/articles/2012/03/28/20120328fast-and-furious-border-agent-terry-killed-report-politico.html#ixzz1qWkevURs
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Mister_H:
Another question that needs to be asked is, How many F&F/ATF walked guns have showed up in crimes since the murder of Brian Terry?

These weapons that the ATF walked had been consistently turning up in crimes in Mexico and the US, but once the public found out that the weapons were part of an ATF program, all of a sudden the unaccounted for weapons quit being used in crimes?

I'd like to know when and where these weapons are, and have been turning up.

The DOJ is keeping a lot of secrets about where these weapons have turned up since the murder of Brian Terry.

Very good question Mister_H
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:

Jan 25, 2011 press conference. Can't find video.
Azstar: Newell's role, Mexico's participation and more on ATF's Tucson operation (oct. 2011 article)
Newell, you may know, was the special agent in charge of the Phoenix ATF division, which includes Tucson, from June 2006 to May this year. At a Jan. 25 press conference, when asked if guns were allowed into Mexico as part of Operation Fast and Furious, Newell replied "hell no" — an assessment that quickly was revealed as false.

Also in Issa/ Grassley report page 46
http://www.scribd.com/jessicak_29/d/57921671/22-X-The-Beginning-of-DOJ’s-Denials-“Hell-No-”
At the press conference announcing the indictments, SAC Newell made two notable comments.  Newell claimed that the indictments represented a take-down of a firearms trafficking ring from top to bottom.59  Yet virtually all of the indicted defendants were mere straw purchasers—not key players of a criminal syndicate by any stretch of the imagination.  

Newell's second notable comment was equally negligent and inaccurate.  When asked whether or not ATF ever allowed guns to walk, Newell emphatically exclaimed “Hell, no!”60  

60 Dennis Wagner, Sen. Chuck Grassley: Guns in ATF sting tied to agent's death, TUCSON CITIZEN, Feb. 1, 2011
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#21]

<snip>

From the fox article

<snip>

... there has been no evidence to suggest that anyone at the White House knew about any decision to allow guns to 'walk' to Mexico.

I have maintained from the beginning that everyone involved in the design and implementation of F&F are criminals. And as criminals, they think as such.

I'm sure many here have read the excellent post by BurnedOutLEO, Street robberies and you - The Basics

A little snipit from that post ...

"If someone challenges you after you indicate you are armed say "I don't have a gun". Then they will know you do".

It's basically the same principle at work here. The manner in which the WH has denied any need for Issa's committee to interview O'Reilly, has clearly telegraphed their fear of what could happen if they were to allow such an event to occur. Basically said, the WH simply can not allow O'Reilly to talk.

Of course my theory would never hold up in a court of law ... but for me it clearly shows the untruthfulness of their statements.

An O'Reilly interview could be the key element to tying F&F right into the WH. Not necessarily to Zero himself, but at least to the administration. And this scares the hell out of 0bummer.

In essence, the WH is saying, "we ain't got no gun". But the street translation is "yeah man, we got one, but we ain't gonna let you see it".

Bunch of F'ing criminals
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#22]
GITMO. Waterboard. DONE !!

I'm serious !
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:12:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Everrest] [#23]
LATimes: Partisan politics plague probe of 'Fast and Furious
I find nothing in this article worth quoting..
Basically it's the LATime saying we covered this story the last 2 weeks.

ETA: http://t.co/daXC5fsS
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:17:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lumpy03] [#24]
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-atf-fast%E2%80%93%E2%80%9320120329,0,6522548.story

page not found...  

hopefully, the LA times has closed down due to a flash of conscience...

nahhh... never mind...
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#25]
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-atf-fast%E2%80%93%E2%80%9320120329,0,6522548.story

page not found...  

nahhh... never mind...

Damn hyphens
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#26]

page not found...  

nahhh... never mind...

Damn hyphens
Yep, if Issa isn't careful they will have him as the one that murdered 200+ people and committed treason while at it.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#27]
some "special parts" of CA need a monster, EPIC earthquake.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:04:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Remember, Remember, #FastandFurious

Hold the line, gentlemen. I need/am taking a break.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 1:23:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Didn't Mr. Holder say those responsible would be brought to justice by the end of this quarter, March 31? (rhetorical question)
Better get on that Eric. Tic-toc.
FUEH
(spell check on the new iPad is awesome! I type FUEH and the autocorrect prompted to "FUEHRER", coincidence ?)
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#32]
What does this mean? Is Cynthia gone?
Attorney General Eric Holder Welcomes Confirmation of Kathryn Keneally and Michael E. Horowitz
Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEFriday, March 30, 2012
Attorney General Eric Holder Welcomes Confirmation of Kathryn Keneally and Michael E. Horowitz
U.S. Senate Approves Justice Department Assistant Attorney General for the Tax Division and Inspector GeneraL

WASHINGTON – Attorney General Eric Holder today welcomed the confirmation of Kathryn Keneally as Assistant Attorney General for the Tax Division and Michael E. Horowitz as Inspector General for the Justice Department.  Keneally and Horowitz were confirmed yesterday by the U.S. Senate.

“I'm confident Kathryn and Michael will provide strong leadership to the department, and will play an instrumental role in fulfilling our critical mission of protecting the American people,” said Attorney General Holder.  “Kathryn will be integral to our efforts to enforce our nation's tax laws fully and fairly, and Michael will promote integrity, financial austerity and effectiveness in Department of Justice operations.  They are both welcome additions to our senior leadership team."

Keneally most recently worked as a partner at Fulbright & Jaworski LLP in New York. For over 25 years, Keneally represented clients in tax controversies and defended against allegations of tax, securities and bank fraud, money laundering, currency transaction reporting, false statements and other financial crime.

Since 1994, Keneally has chaired numerous committees for the American Bar Association (ABA) Taxation Section.  Most recently, she served vice chair for Committee Operations for the ABA Taxation Section and as co-chair of the ABA National Institute on Criminal Tax Fraud and Tax Controversy.  She previously served as chair of the ABA Civil and Criminal Tax Penalties Committee, the ABA Standards of Tax Practice Committee and the ABA Subcommittee on Department of Justice Procedures.

From 1993 to 2008, Keneally served on the U.S. Sentencing Commission Practitioner’s Advisory Group.

Keneally began her legal career in 1982 as the law clerk for U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of New York Edward R. Neaher.  She received her J.D. from Fordham Law School, her LL.M in Taxation from New York University and her B.S. from Cornell University.

Most recently, Horowitz worked as a partner at Cadwalader, Wickersham, & Taft LLP, where he focused on white collar defense, internal investigations and regulatory compliance.

From 2003 to 2009, Horowitz served as a commissioner for the U.S. Sentencing Commission.  As commissioner, Horowitz was instrumental in rewriting guidelines for fraud, antitrust, intellectual property and money laundering offenses and corporate compliance programs.

Horowitz previously worked for the Justice Department in the Criminal Division from 1999 to 2002, when he served as Deputy Assistant Attorney General and then Chief of Staff.

Prior to joining the Criminal Division, Horowitz served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York from 1991 to 1999.  From 1997 to 1999, he was chief of the Public Corruption Unit for the Southern District of New York.  In 1995, he was awarded the Attorney General’s Award for Distinguished Service for his work on a five-year corruption investigation.

Before joining the department, Horowitz was an associate at Debevoise & Plimpton and clerked for Judge John G. Davies of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.

Horowitz is a board member of the Ethics Resource Center, the Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics and the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law. He earned his J.D. from Harvard Law School and his B.A. from Brandeis University.

12-408        Attorney General
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#33]
No coverup here.
MainJustice: doj-ig-nominee-worth-9-3-million
Michael Horowitz,  the nominee for the Justice Department’s Inspector General post, has disclosed as part of his confirmation process that his household net worth is $9.3 million.

The current Cadwalater, Wickersham & Taft partner told the Senate Judiciary Committee that he made $4.6 million in 2010 and the first few months of 2011, according to the Blog of Legal Times.

He listed Pfizer Inc., Cablevision Systems Corp., and Magyar Telekom PLC, a Hungarian telecommunications company, as clients that paid “compensation in excess of $5,000.” In the disclosure, Horowitz also referred to 11 other clients “where the representation involved a grand jury or other non-public investigation and the client name was not made public.”

Horowitz also said that he has $5.2 million invested in securities that mainly consist of mutual funds.

His liabilities amount to $401,000 from mortgages and a car loan.

The Senate Judiciary Committee held a confirmation hearing for Horowitz on October 19, where the nominee said that his relationship with Department of Justice criminal division chief Lanny Breuer would not hinder the DOJ OIG investigation of Operation Fast and Furious, a botched gun-walking operation carried out by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#34]
No coverup here.
MainJustice: doj-ig-nominee-worth-9-3-million
Michael Horowitz,  the nominee for the Justice Department’s Inspector General post, has disclosed as part of his confirmation process that his household net worth is $9.3 million.

The current Cadwalater, Wickersham & Taft partner told the Senate Judiciary Committee that he made $4.6 million in 2010 and the first few months of 2011, according to the Blog of Legal Times.

He listed Pfizer Inc., Cablevision Systems Corp., and Magyar Telekom PLC, a Hungarian telecommunications company, as clients that paid “compensation in excess of $5,000.” In the disclosure, Horowitz also referred to 11 other clients “where the representation involved a grand jury or other non-public investigation and the client name was not made public.”

Horowitz also said that he has $5.2 million invested in securities that mainly consist of mutual funds.

His liabilities amount to $401,000 from mortgages and a car loan.

The Senate Judiciary Committee held a confirmation hearing for Horowitz on October 19, where the nominee said that his relationship with Department of Justice criminal division chief Lanny Breuer would not hinder the DOJ OIG investigation of Operation Fast and Furious, a botched gun-walking operation carried out by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Does not pass my bullshit test.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#35]
She was always listed as "Acting IG" so I'm not sure how this would impact ongoing investigations.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By miker84:
She was always listed as "Acting IG" so I'm not sure how this would impact ongoing investigations.

I knew she was acting, I wonder about the delay in the report also.
So if Breuer gets blamed OIG will say how unbiased they were in the report.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By miker84:

I knew she was acting, I wonder about the delay in the report also.
So if Breuer gets blamed OIG will say how unbiased they were in the report.

Yeah, either this will delay the report, or it will come out as soon as the new guy gets sworn in. Breur is still looking like the fall guy regardless.

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#38]
http://www.mainjustice.com/2012/03/30/senate-confirms-keneally-as-tax-division-head-and-horowitz-for-ig/
Updated: This story was updated with a statement from Attorney General Eric Holder.

Kathryn Keneally was confirmed as Assistant Attorney General to head the Tax Division and Michael Horowitz as the Department of Justice’s Inspector General late Thursday, ending months of delay in the Senate.

Keneally and Horowitz were confirmed by voice vote as the senators acted on numerous nominations, under a deal cut before Christmas to break a logjam on nominees. Their fates had been in limbo for months, in part because of Republican anger at the Justice Department over a gun-tracking attempt that backfired badly and then over a broader constitutional tug-of-war between the Senate and the White House.

The failed gun-tracking investigation was Operation Fast and Furious, in which the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives allowed straw buyers to acquire hundreds of guns so they could be tracked across the U.S.-Mexican border and lead law enforcement officers to Mexican gangsters.
More at link.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 7:17:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kevyn] [#39]
Didn't see this linked anywhere, could be a dupe but it's good reading.

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2012/03/that-other-oreilly.html

I see no reason why Kevin O'Reilly couldn't be deposed from his State Department station in Iraq. Unless of course someone in the State Department or at the White House would rather not have him talking to a Congressional investigating committee.

Kevin O'Reilly really needs to give his side of the story... now that they've had time to put it all together. Shouldn't be a problem. Right?
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Kevyn:
Didn't see this linked anywhere, could be a dupe but it's good reading.

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2012/03/that-other-oreilly.html

I see no reason why Kevin O'Reilly couldn't be deposed from his State Department station in Iraq. Unless of course someone in the State Department or at the White House would rather not have him talking to a Congressional investigating committee.

Kevin O'Reilly really needs to give his side of the story... now that they've had time to put it all together. Shouldn't be a problem. Right?

It's so fucking weird that it was easier to get the president to talk about F&F, but this guy can't be reached for comment, he must be super important that he doesn't have time for an oversight commitee.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#41]
some "special parts" of CA need a monster, EPIC earthquake.

Rampit fast moving wildfires driven by strong Santa Anna winds can lay waste to large areas in a short time period.
What survives the fires will then face the waves of mud slides later.

I've lived through a few of these. But I don't recall it ever happening in Sacramento.

Earthquakes arn't so selective. Been through many of those also.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 1:50:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Garryowen] [#42]
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Garryowen:
Just caught a news story on the local station, that a gun recovered from a shoot-out here in AZ was a F&F gun...

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/local_news/investigations/new-pics-of-arizona-gun-connected-to-fast-and-furious

It should be hammered every time one of these guns comes up that DOJ is responsible for that weapon being on the street.

I mean, most states have a "safe storage law" don't they?  Don't some even have laws that say you must report a stolen gun within so much time or else you are held liable if it is used in a crime?

Wouldn't it be ironic if one of these guns where used in a state like that and the state DOJ charged the feds with that crime?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#44]

Just caught a news story on the local station, that a gun recovered from a shoot-out here in AZ was a F&F gun...

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/local_news/investigations/new-pics-of-arizona-gun-connected-to-fast-and-furious

It should be hammered every time one of these guns comes up that DOJ is responsible for that weapon being on the street.

I mean, most states have a "safe storage law" don't they?  Don't some even have laws that say you must report a stolen gun within so much time or else you are held liable if it is used in a crime?

Wouldn't it be ironic if one of these guns where used in a state like that and the state DOJ charged the feds with that crime?

TRACE ON THE PISTOL

According to a
Department of Justice Firearms Trace Summary dated September 29, 2011,
Hernandez-Diaz’s second weapon, a Beretta pistol, could be traced back
to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Dept, Fiscal Svcs, as the dealer.

However,
according to Steve Whitmore, a senior media advisor for the Los Angeles
County Sheriff’s Department, the gun did not belong to the department
at the time of the incident involving Hernandez-Diaz.

"It’s not
our gun,” he told the ABC15 Investigators. "It was sold back to
Beretta.”
Whitmore did not respond by our deadline as to when or why the
gun had been returned to the company.

A spokesperson for the Beretta company would not address our questions about the ownership of the weapon.

Wow did this just get a whole lot worse?  Either the LA Sheriff's Dept is lying or Beretta is selling/supplying

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Andrapos:

TRACE ON THE PISTOL

According to a Department of Justice Firearms Trace Summary dated September 29, 2011, Hernandez-Diaz’s second weapon, a Beretta pistol, could be traced back to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Dept, Fiscal Svcs, as the dealer.

However, according to Steve Whitmore, a senior media advisor for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, the gun did not belong to the department at the time of the incident involving Hernandez-Diaz.

"It’s not our gun,” he told the ABC15 Investigators. "It was sold back to Beretta.” Whitmore did not respond by our deadline as to when or why the gun had been returned to the company.

A spokesperson for the Beretta company would not address our questions about the ownership of the weapon.

Wow did this just get a whole lot worse?  Either the LA Sheriff's Dept is lying or Beretta is selling/supplying

I think it was probably a trade in.  I'm sure they will propose laws to require crushing used police guns, or not allow civilian ownership of police models.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#46]
I think it was probably a trade in.  I'm sure they will propose laws to require crushing used police guns, or not allow civilian ownership of police models.

Many places already do that out of fear of something like this. This case has the potential to hurt us on many sides
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm reading Clancy's new novel Against All Enemies. It focuses on Al Qaeda/Taliban working with the Cartels to get at us, but the opening meeting with the alphabet agencies is starting to sound like democrat talking points. I'll keep reading because in the last book Clancy pulled no punches when describing the administration that had to be inspired by 0bama's.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By sixnine:
I'm reading Clancy's new novel Against All Enemies. It focuses on Al Qaeda/Taliban working with the Cartels to get at us, but the opening meeting with the alphabet agencies is starting to sound like democrat talking points. I'll keep reading because in the last book Clancy pulled no punches when describing the administration that had to be inspired by 0bama's.

Which book? I'm interested
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#49]
I include @dcodrea and @ATFreport in the tweets of the IG announcement and Main Justice article yesterday hoping they would see them and retreet (they have more follower than me). David finding all the other references and publish an artice on Saturday, shows his dedication to this issue. (I'm undeserving of being mentioned for the tip, but that just shows what a good Journalist he is and that anybody can get involved and make a difference. Even from their mom's basement).

David Codrea: Senate approves Breuer supporter as head of OIG at Justice
“Attorney General Eric Holder today welcomed the confirmation of… Michael E. Horowitz as Inspector General for the Justice Department,” a Friday Office of Public Affairs release announces

“…Horowitz [was] confirmed yesterday by the U.S. Senate,” it reports.

The nominee was confirmed by a voice vote, per the Library of Congress THOMAS legislative database.

So who is Michael E. Horowitz?

Most recently he’s been a partner at a law firm. He’s been a commissioner on the U.S. Sentencing Commission, a deputy Assistant Attorney General and Chief of Staff at the Justice Department, an Assistant U.S. Attorney, a law firm associate, and a U.S. District Court clerk.  He got his law degree from Harvard.

It would seem if anyone is qualified, the administration has picked the right guy—if his CV is all that matters. But there is one relatively obscure piece of background information that is nonetheless extremely relevant to this particular nomination, and one that has received virtually no media coverage, with only a few notable exceptions.
More at link.

(If you are currently following me on twitter, thanks! If your twitter name doesn't match your username here, send me an IM and I'll follow you back.  Unless you post your entire life. )
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Link to his Cadwalader bio: Michael E. Horowitz before the scrub:( if it hasn't already happened.)
Michael E. Horowitz, a partner in Cadwalader's Business Fraud and Complex Litigation Group, counsels corporations and individuals on complex civil litigation, criminal and regulatory matters, and compliance issues. 

In recognition of his legal expertise, Michael has garnered recognition as a leading lawyer in his field, including by Best Lawyers in America, Super Lawyers, the International Who's Who of Business Crime Defense Lawyers, the Benchmark Litigation Guide to America's Top Business Litigation Attorneys, Ethisphere Institute and Washington Smart CEO. 

Drawing on his experience in private practice and as a former high-level official at the Department of Justice (DOJ) in Washington and the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York, he has worked on countless high profile matters, including representations of:

Securities Fraud/Corporate Governance

Publicly-traded companies in complex civil litigation matters, including Bank of America in the WorldCom matter, Wachovia in the Adelphia matter, and Dow AgroSciences in the Oil For Food matter
Companies and senior executives in SEC, DOJ and State Attorney General investigations, including parties in the AOL, BP, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Collins & Aikman, and Monster.com accounting fraud investigations
Audit and Special Litigation Committees in internal investigations involving alleged securities law violations, as well as Sarbanes-Oxley whistleblower allegations and corporate governance issues
The former CEO of Gen Re in a two month securities fraud trial in federal district court in Connecticut
Foreign Corrupt Practices Act

U.S. and foreign companies and senior corporate executives in significant DOJ and SEC investigations
Leading companies in conducting M&A due diligence regarding potential FCPA issues, including successfully resolving for Delta & Pine with the SEC in advance of its acquisition by Monsanto
Boards of Directors and senior executives of Fortune 500 companies regarding anti-corruption compliance, including conducting training programs and developing compliance programs
At the request of the SEC, participating in its FCPA training program for Enforcement Division staff; at the request of the FBI, participating in its FCPA training program for FBI Special Agents; and at the request of the International Association of Prosecutors, conducting a presentation to international prosecutors on FCPA enforcement issues
Criminal Antitrust Investigations

Fortune 50 companies and senior executives in international price-fixing investigations, including a case where the DOJ closed its criminal investigation without charges despite a competitor's amnesty cooperation agreement
The Board of Directors of a joint venture of two Fortune 50 companies as independent outside counsel in an internal investigation
Corporations in drafting and implementing antitrust compliance procedures and conducting training on best practices
Other

Companies and individuals in connection with DOJ and HHS-OIG investigations involving civil and criminal health care fraud issues
Companies on whistleblower issues
A former KPMG partner in a DOJ tax shelter investigation
A Fortune 500 company in successfully convincing the DOJ to close an asbestos contamination investigation without bringing civil or criminal charges
Organizations and individuals in connection with DOJ campaign finance investigations
Michael is a former presidential appointee to the U.S. Sentencing Commission, serving as a Commissioner from 2003 through 2009.  In that position, Michael played an instrumental role in rewriting the guidelines for corporate compliance programs and helped rewrite the guidelines for fraud, antitrust, intellectual property, and money laundering offenses. 

Prior to joining Cadwalader, Michael served in senior positions in the DOJ's Criminal Division during the Clinton and Bush Administrations, first as Deputy Assistant Attorney General and then as Chief of Staff to the head of the Criminal Division.  In those positions, he worked directly with the Attorney General, the Deputy Attorney General, the FBI Director, and nearly every U.S. Attorney, as well as with the leadership of the SEC's Enforcement Division, the Treasury Department, the State Department, and the HHS Inspector General's Office. 

While working at the DOJ, Michael also helped draft the Department's Principles of Corporate Prosecution, participated in drafting the medical records privacy rules, and was centrally involved in the post-September 11th anti-money laundering efforts.  He also appeared before the House of Representatives and Senate on numerous occasions to testify and brief Members of Congress on a variety of criminal law issues.

As the DOJ's liaison to the National District Attorney's Association and the National Association of Attorneys General, Michael regularly interacted with District Attorneys and state Attorneys General and, in his capacity as a member of the International Association of Prosecutors, led the DOJ's delegations at meetings in China, South Africa, Australia, and Azerbaijan.

From 1991 through 1999, Michael was an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of New York, where he served as Deputy Chief of the Criminal Division and Chief of the Public Corruption Unit.  He successfully prosecuted and supervised sophisticated white collar matters involving securities fraud, health care fraud, money laundering, environmental crime, and tax evasion.  His efforts on a complex five-year corruption investigation earned him one of the DOJ's most prestigious honors, the Attorney General's Distinguished Service Award.  Michael also successfully argued numerous cases before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.

In addition to his client work, Michael speaks regularly on regulatory, criminal law, and compliance issues, including at events for the U.S. State Department, the International Law Enforcement Academy, the Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics, the Ethics and Compliance Officers Association, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the International Institute of Auditors, the Association of Corporate Counsel, the Health Care Compliance Association, the American Bar Association, and several health care insurance associations.  For the past several years, he has also served as the co-chair of the Practicing Lawyer's Institute's annual Advanced Corporate Compliance Program.

Michael has taught at Georgetown, George Washington, American and Catholic Law Schools, and is a Barrister with the Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court.  A prolific author, his pieces have appeared in, among other publications, Georgetown's American Criminal Law Review Survey of Federal Prosecutions, White Collar Law Defense Strategies, and the White Collar Crime Reporter.  He has provided commentary on legal issues for The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, CNN, National Public Radio, and C-SPAN, and appeared in the role of the prosecutor in episodes of HBO's K Street television series.

Michael serves on the Board of Directors of the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law and the Ethics Resource Center, as well as the Advisory Board of the Society for Corporate Compliance and Ethics.

A summa cum laude graduate of Brandeis University, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, he earned his J.D., magna cum laude, from Harvard Law School, where he was Executive Editor of the Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review.  Following law school, Michael was a law clerk to the Honorable John G. Davies, U.S. District Judge for the Central District of California.  He is a member of the bars of the State of New York and the District of Columbia.
More at link.

From his Listed quotes:
"I intend, if confirmed, to pursue every avenue," Michael E. Horowitz said during his Senate judiciary confirmation hearing, discussing an ongoing investigation into the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco. Firearms and Explosives operation known as Fast and Furious.
IG Nominee Attempts to Assure Senators of His Independence, Main Justice
October 19, 2011
Page / 537
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top