Site Notices
7/29/2014 4:02:36 PM
7/28/2014 11:40:43 AM
Author
There ain’t no easy way out
Posted: 1/21/2011 10:13:52 PM
go or no go? I know they are really close but the last thing I need is a fire.
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the people's liberty's teeth." - George Washington
thebeekeeper1
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2011 10:14:22 PM
Should work, but really stinky.
mattfoley
Capitalist Dog
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2011 10:15:42 PM
[Last Edit: 1/21/2011 10:16:02 PM by mattfoley]
Torpedo heaters is a confirmed go.

Just a bit more smokey.

Even red dye diesel.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."

--James Madison
smalljaw
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2011 10:16:54 PM

It will work but i wouldn't recomend it in the house. Very smoky and soot
GarandM1
"Help, help, I'm being repressed!"
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2011 10:19:48 PM

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
Should work, but really stinky.

Yep. Chemically-speaking, they're about the same, kerosene being a bit lighter fuel

Same thing with Coleman Fuel and unleaded: Pretty much anything that will run the first will run the second –– but gasoline will leave black soot residue over everything.
"Belief in God does not preclude belief in evolution. Belief in evolution does not preclude belief in God. Do not trust those who insist otherwise."
Keith_J
Veteran of Reagan Era
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2011 10:23:22 PM
Not is a wick type unless it is #1. Most diesel is #2, kerosene has a much lower boiling point than #2. This causes soot to form.
GD: Too much Chicken Little, not enough Gene Kranz.
17Z
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2011 10:26:00 PM
Space heater/torpedo heater is fine...not in a wick-type space-heater...will not burn worth a crap..and will eventually not burn at all.

Then you get to take it apart and reset the wick.
fundummy
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2011 10:31:48 PM
Originally Posted By Drewcoolness:
go or no go? I know they are really close but the last thing I need is a fire.

It's less flammable than kerosene.

Now days the pumps have ultra low sulfur diesel.
I've tried it in a Dyna-Glo ( tower ) and it's ok for the garage, or for backup fuel WTSHTF.
Flame adjustment is more critical than kerosene... it doesn't seem to burn quite as hot.... but it does seem to burn 10% longer.
Therefore the tendency is to burn the wick a little higher, which would give off the familiar diesel smell.
A lower wick setting seems to work ok...

I haven't tried it in a " catalytic converter " type ( perforated steel inside glass ) kerosene heater yet.
Drewcoolness
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2011 10:39:12 PM
[Last Edit: 1/21/2011 10:41:46 PM by Drewcoolness]

Originally Posted By Keith_J:
Not is a wick type unless it is #1. Most diesel is #2, kerosene has a much lower boiling point than #2. This causes soot to form.

yep it's a type one/kerosene torpedo heater. I had a friend tell me I'm good to go but I like my shed non charbroiled. I don't have any problem substituting stuff but when it comes to fire hazards I check, double check and triple check.

If it makes any difference it's a reddy heater and about as old as me. Maybe 20-25 years old. Still works great but never put diesel in it before.
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the people's liberty's teeth." - George Washington
fundummy
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2011 10:48:02 PM
Originally Posted By Drewcoolness:

Originally Posted By Keith_J:

yep it's a type one/kerosene torpedo heater. I had a friend tell me I'm good to go but I like my shed non charbroiled. I don't have any problem substituting stuff but when it comes to fire hazards I check, double check and triple check.

If it makes any difference it's a reddy heater and about as old as me. Maybe 20-25 years old. Still works great but never put diesel in it before.

I feel better, especially burning liquid fuel, with a couple of fire extinguishers and a digital CO detector on standby.
Drewcoolness
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2011 11:22:43 PM
success! I didn't blow up and it seemed to burn just like kerosene.