Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2011 6:13:52 PM EDT
go or no go? I know they are really close but the last thing I need is a fire.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Torpedo heaters is a confirmed go.
Just a bit more smokey.

Even red dye diesel.

Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]

It will work but i wouldn't recomend it in the house. Very smoky and soot
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Should work, but really stinky.

Yep.  Chemically-speaking, they're about the same, kerosene being a bit lighter fuel

Same thing with Coleman Fuel and unleaded:  Pretty much anything that will run the first will run the second –– but gasoline will leave black soot residue over everything.

Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Not is a wick type unless it is #1.  Most diesel is #2, kerosene has a much lower boiling point than #2.  This causes soot to form.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Space heater/torpedo heater is fine...not in a wick-type space-heater...will not burn worth a crap..and will eventually not burn at all.

Then you get to take it apart and reset the wick.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
go or no go? I know they are really close but the last thing I need is a fire.

It's less flammable than kerosene.

Now days the pumps have ultra low sulfur diesel.
I've tried it in a Dyna-Glo ( tower ) and it's ok for the garage, or for backup fuel WTSHTF.
Flame adjustment is more critical than kerosene... it doesn't seem to burn quite as hot.... but it does seem to burn 10% longer.
Therefore the tendency is to burn the wick a little higher, which would give off the familiar diesel smell.  
A lower wick setting seems to work ok...

I haven't tried it in a " catalytic converter "  type ( perforated steel inside glass ) kerosene heater yet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Not is a wick type unless it is #1.  Most diesel is #2, kerosene has a much lower boiling point than #2.  This causes soot to form.

yep it's a type one/kerosene torpedo heater. I had a friend tell me I'm good to go but I like my shed non charbroiled. I don't have any problem substituting stuff but when it comes to fire hazards I check, double check and triple check.

If it makes any difference it's a reddy heater and about as old as me. Maybe 20-25 years old. Still works great but never put diesel in it before.

Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

yep it's a type one/kerosene torpedo heater. I had a friend tell me I'm good to go but I like my shed non charbroiled. I don't have any problem substituting stuff but when it comes to fire hazards I check, double check and triple check.

If it makes any difference it's a reddy heater and about as old as me. Maybe 20-25 years old. Still works great but never put diesel in it before.

I feel better, especially burning liquid fuel, with a couple of fire extinguishers and a digital CO detector on standby.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#10]
success! I didn't blow up and it seemed to burn just like kerosene.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top