Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#1]
That Turret looks like the old MBT70 model I had as a kid, the Aurora kit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Primorsky thanks you for your pics comrade...

If it moves by rail, it WILL be photographed by rail buffs.

Trident ICBM solid fuel segment carrier

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures%5C10532%5CDODX_29506.jpg

Spent reactor core carrier

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures%5C3555%5C2-7-06%20DODX%20870%201.jpg

No humping the train cars!!!!!

LOL

Sorry, about as far from that as possible

Hump Yard In Action

Allowing rocket fuel or nuclear reactors to roll free isn't a good idea.

Well, they've got to get it from point A to point B. But I have to say if I saw a train with the reactor core cars I would check it out if I could.

The key to protecting things like that is making them look very uninteresting so people won't bother. The ICBM fuel could be put in a tank labeled 'Budweiser' and the nuke core could go inside hollowed out chevy aveo.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#3]
For comparison:

It looks pretty clear to me that what is pictured in the OP is not a standard M1.
This pic is of a Leopard-2A4 with an add on armor kit.  It is not a Leo-2A5/6, but rather an upgraded A4, as a number of countries still use them.  I'm wondering if this is a similar concept that we are seeing here for the M-1A2.  

This is a Leo-2 with (I think) the same add on armor kit compared to a standard Leo-2A4.

-K

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My guess is, movie prop.

That "Battlefield: Los Angeles" movie that's coming out, it have woodland tanks in it?

It is on a DOD owned rail car, so I doubt it is a prop.

Maybe the whole train is a prop in a movie about experimental tanks on trains.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My guess is, movie prop.

That "Battlefield: Los Angeles" movie that's coming out, it have woodland tanks in it?

It is on a DOD owned rail car, so I doubt it is a prop.

Maybe the whole train is a prop in a movie about experimental tanks on trains.

...and we're all part of the movie, talking about experimental tanks on DOD-owned trains, trying to figure out what the tank is.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#6]
not a movie prop. all of the fake Abrams out there are built on centurian or m8 tracter chassis that have 6 road wheels. real abrams have 7 road wheels. count the wheels.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does that say "Do Not Hump"?
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The turret does seem somewhat similar to the Leopard 2A6 etc uparmor packages but the lifting points on the side have me wondering if perhaps it's a weighted dummy for suspension testing etc. No idea but better tanks are cool by me.

That would be my guess, unless we're abandoning sloped armor.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classification_yard

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#10]
That's just my new car on it's way. I ordered it straight from the factory.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I have heard talk about the military going ahead with the M1A3 and are preparing prototypes for 2014 trials.

BTW, that looks kinda like the CATTB Abrams... only larger.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#13]
It's not in multicam so I'd say no.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The turret stuff is handled in Picatinny NJ, by whatever team. The paint scheme shows that it's not one of the newer tanks, probably been kept around for testing purposes or training.

If you do a Wikipedia search, the latest Abrams is the M1A2 SEP with TUSK, which is basically an uparmored Abrams with reactive armor and rear slat armor. It looks pretty wicked.

Yeah it does. I like the addition of the CROWS .50 for the commanders slot, and the remote/thermal capable M240 for the loader.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have represented guys who got hurt humping rail cars.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Road wheels and spacing indicate it's at least an Abrams chassis.  7 road wheels with a space between 1 and 2.

Turret looks more like a Challenger than anything.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#17]
It's the new M1A4 armed w/ auto loading Mark-12 5"/38 Naval Gun being rushed to the Mongolian Defense Forces.

Fact.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Bump because I want to see if anybody has more information about it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Hmmm, camo paint means nothing really. Depending on where a piece of equipment is stationed determines woodland vs tan paint, i.e. Texas = tan, Hawaii = woodland, etc. Definitely not a prop. It is properly tied down for a full 72 ton tank. Turret is the same size, if you enclose all the racks and storage on the outside of a regular turret. This obviously isn't. Gun appears larger than 120mm. No large bore evacuator or muzzle reference system. Does have the gunners "dog house" sight in the normal place. I notice the slope in the center of the turret starting at the mantlet sloping up as you go toward the back of the turret. That tells me they needed more room in the turret around the breech.  What throws me off, as mentioned earlier, is the older style track. When was this photo taken?

I'm calling it a test vehicle for a larger than 120mm. But how old is the photo? We tested some autoloaders and 140mm several years ago.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looks like an Abrams tank with its turret point backwards. I'm no expert though.

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Looks like an Abrams tank with its turret point backwards. I'm no expert though.

'Something' has been attached where the bustle rack normally is.

'Autoloader' would make sense.

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Hmmm, camo paint means nothing really. Depending on where a piece of equipment is stationed determines woodland vs tan paint, i.e. Texas = tan, Hawaii = woodland, etc. Definitely not a prop. It is properly tied down for a full 72 ton tank. Turret is the same size, if you enclose all the racks and storage on the outside of a regular turret. This obviously isn't. Gun appears larger than 120mm. No large bore evacuator or muzzle reference system. Does have the gunners "dog house" sight in the normal place. I notice the slope in the center of the turret starting at the mantlet sloping up as you go toward the back of the turret. That tells me they needed more room in the turret around the breech.  What throws me off, as mentioned earlier, is the older style track. When was this photo taken?

I'm calling it a test vehicle for a larger than 120mm. But how old is the photo? We tested some autoloaders and 140mm several years ago.

The cannon kinda looks like the XM360, but larger.

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 10:28:26 PM EDT
[#24]

That fringe beneath the skirt reminds me of frontier clothing.  Are tomahawks including in the tank's kit?
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That paint job is partying like its 1989.

It looks very similar to the CATTB test bed from about 1987, so that is about right.

It definitly is not a new thing sporting a 3 color woodland camo paint job, and that CARC has some age on it.

I bet it is a CATTB related prototype version, and given that the OP is in Texas, I bet it is headed to Red River to be stripped down and rebuilt into an M1A2.

I was thinking it was one of the protypes goin in for a modernazation and issue.

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It looks very similar to the CATTB test bed from about 1987, so that is about right.

It definitly is not a new thing sporting a 3 color woodland camo paint job, and that CARC has some age on it.

I bet it is a CATTB related prototype version, and given that the OP is in Texas, I bet it is headed to Red River to be stripped down and rebuilt into an M1A2.

I was thinking it was one of the protypes goin in for a modernazation and issue.

The XM1 was a smaller tank than the final product.

It somewhat lives on as the ROK's K1 series.

Link Posted: 1/16/2011 6:35:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not true actually. The XM1 prototypes and pilot tanks are still around, one was at Fort Knox, now probably Benning, and the other was at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. The K1 series is a completely different tank that shares resemblance due to the fact that the designers of the M1 assisted in the design of the K1. It is not a baby M1, it's a very different tank.
Steve
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Definitive answer on the OP. Saw this on another forum I frequent.

"It's Thumper. I helped train the guys from Watervalete Arsenal in New York on M1 hull system. It was a test bed for a 120 or 140 auto loader. This was back in the early 90's. I later saw the prototype at the Armor Conference at Knox. We tried to convince them that auto loaders, can't replace a thrown track, pull LPOP,radio watch, or do dismounted actions.
G Dean 19K4A8
US Army Armor ( RET )"
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Definitive answer on the OP. Saw this on another forum I frequent.

"It's Thumper. I helped train the guys from Watervalete Arsenal in New York on M1 hull system. It was a test bed for a 120 or 140 auto loader. This was back in the early 90's. I later saw the prototype at the Armor Conference at Knox. We tried to convince them that auto loaders, can't replace a thrown track, pull LPOP,radio watch, or do dismounted actions.

G Dean 19K4A8

US Army Armor ( RET )"

I went to watervliet in 1992 and saw the raw 140s.

BIG tubes.

Link Posted: 1/16/2011 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I smile with glee at the thought of a 140mm HE round direct fired at a POO site in Afghanistan...  Even better, imagine a 140mm canister or beehive round... mother of god
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks normal to me, it just doesn't have all the bells and whistles attached.

Link Posted: 1/16/2011 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, not so much. Turret is longer, taller, and wider with much different angles, especially on the side. The gun is a 140mm tube and is much longer than a standard M256 L44 gun.
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I smile with glee at the thought of a 140mm HE round direct fired at a POO site in Afghanistan...  Even better, imagine a 140mm canister or beehive round... mother of god

M1s might get 140mm cannons in the future. It just depends on if the Army thinks they'd need it to deal with China's new 75 ton tank with it's 155mm cannon.

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 5:43:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Quoted:

M1s might get 140mm cannons in the future. It just depends on if the Army thinks they'd need it to deal with China's new 75 ton tank with it's 155mm cannon.  

IIRC, the 140 was considered for export to namby pamby countries that don't want to use DU penetrators to get similar performance of 120 DU sabots.

Link Posted: 1/18/2011 11:47:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Courtesy of TankNet, I do believe we have a winner. ATAC.

NTM
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 1:16:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not true actually. The XM1 prototypes and pilot tanks are still around, one was at Fort Knox, now probably Benning, and the other was at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. The K1 series is a completely different tank that shares resemblance due to the fact that the designers of the M1 assisted in the design of the K1. It is not a baby M1, it's a very different tank.
Steve

There's one sitting at Camp Shelby in front of their museum. It has a big 155th Armored Brigade patch painted on the turret front. The museum doesn't talk much about it, but the old Mike Golf who works in the vehicle and weapon conservatory can tell you everything you want to know, if you ask nicely.

There's also a yard full of M1's sitting out behind the 3656th Maintenance area near Warehouse Avenue. There's two M48's sitting out there as well. If you know where to look, there are a LOT of old prototypes, unserveiceable vehicles and tracks sitting all over the place at Camp Shelby.

Link Posted: 1/19/2011 1:28:58 AM EDT
[#37]
just looks like it's been stripped and the turret is pointed backwords

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top