Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2011 6:00:20 PM EDT
As requested in this thread (which has been kind of a trainwreck due to some kids not playing well with others), here is some more information regarding the three four people that heroically tackled the crazed gunmen who shot Rep. Giffords and killed all these other people:
Retired Colonel Bill Badger, age 74, who had come to talk to Rep. Giffords, narrowly escaped death (he was shot at by the gunman but since he dropped to the floor at just the right time the bullet just grazed his head), got up and grabbed the gunman's one arm - interview here: http://video.foxnews.com/#/v/4490356/retired-colonel-helped-tackle-shooting-suspect/

[sorry, don't have time to do a transcript of that interview tonight - any volunteers?]

Roger Sulzgeber, who also tackled the gunman [any more info on him?]

Patricia Maisch, age 61, who grabbed the gunman's other arm with which he held a full magazine as he was trying to reload [ETA link to article: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/patricia-maisch-describes-stopping-gunman-reloading/story?id=12577933], and who then ran to the Safeway and got some tissue to put on Bill Badger's wound [and I don't care what her political leanings are - she did the right thing at the right time, stood and acted when others cowered or ran]
Joe Zamudio, who was in the store buying cigarettes when he heard the shots and, since he was CCW'ing at the time, decided to run towards the scene and, after seeing that the shooter had run dry and thus there was no immediate need to pull his own gun, proceeded to help the other two folks hold down the shooter, who kept struggling until the police arrived and had a knife and more ammo on him, and may have been able to overpower the Colonel and the lady had Mr. Zamudio not intervened. Video here: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/01/08/exp.az.zamudio.witness.cnn?hpt=T1
Rough transcript of the interview with Mr. Zamudio:
[joining us now is Joe Zamudio, he's an eyewitness]

[tell us where you were when you came upon this meet and greet]
"It was just a normal Saturday, I woke up and had breakfast with my
mom, I was planning on watching football, I didn't plan on this horrible
thing,  I walked out and went into the Walgreens to buy cigarettes and
inside of the counter I heard the gunshots, it was like a fireworks
almost it was pop pop pop like that, and I said to the girl behind the
counter is that is that because i was going to say is that fireworks but
I knew it was a gun I've been raised around guns my whole life and I knew it was a gun, and I carry a gun for my own protection and I had it with me so I ran back outside and there was a man with a camera who said 'shooter shooter get down' and I
ran towards the noise and that was after the last gunshot, at that
point the other gentleman you spoke with the other gentleman and a lady
were wrestling with I don't know what his name is, the guy, the shooter
"
[so you ran towards the suspect]
"yeah, they had already taken the gun form him and he was struggling with them, I went over there I pinned him down to the ground I waited with them until the police came, it was just ridiculous, the
gun was empty, when you finish firing an semiautomatic like that the
top stays back and it was cocked back, it was locked open and he was out
of bullets, but he had another extended magazine that he was trying to
load into the gun that the woman was able to wrestle away form him
, and he was gonna keep shooting, he was not over he just ran out of bullets"
[how long were you on him]
"oh I don't know not more than five minutes, probably 'bout like
three or four, it seemed like a really long time at first but I checked
my phone afterwards 'cause I was calling 911 and it couldn't have been
more than five minutes, three minutes, four minutes maybe, the first
sheriff's department officer showed up and when he got there we said 'we
got him he's right here he's the shooter' he came put him in cuffs,
almost immediately there were two or three more deputies there, they
searched him in my presence, I saw them pull two more magazines out of
his pockets and a pocket knife, I mean he was ready for war, he was not
playing around"
[did he say anything while you were holding him down]
"the only thing he said was 'my arm ow my arm' they had his arm wrenched back which I'm real glad I
didn't know he had a knife in his pocket I mean I had a gun and if he
had been reloaded or something I would have pulled it on him but I
wasn't trying to go that place and scare anyone if it wasn't necessary
but I didn't know he had a knife on him I mean he could have hurt us
there holding him down, it was just scary, and he said 'ow my arm' but
we didn't care we just kept holding him there, and then his facial
expression was expressionless, it was blank, it was callous almost."

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I salute Joe and Bill for their service to society . To the lady responder , while her immediate efforts probably proved helpful , there was something in an interview where she blamed Palin ? WTF , lady !
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Joe Zamudio is the unsung hero of the day.

Average Joe CCW'ing hears shots, runs to the mayhem and helps subdue the mad shooter - MSM totally ignores a friendly gun in their quest for the true story.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#3]
[did he say anything while you were holding him down]

"the only thing he said was 'my arm ow my arm'"

WTG, Joe!  (shoulda broke it, though.)

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I salute Joe and Bill for their service to society . To the lady responder , while her immediate efforts probably proved helpful , there was something in an interview where she blamed Palin ? WTF , lady !

Her name is Patricia Maisch, and she went full retard in the Shepard Smith interview... blaming Sarah Palin and other Republicans.... also ranting about some job-killing bill or some nonsense.

She indicated that she grabbed the magazine out of his pocket and/or hand at the direction of Bill, or another subduer.  

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Average Joe CCW'ing hears shots, runs to the mayhem and helps subdue the mad shooter - MSM totally ignores a friendly gun in their quest for the true story.

This.

Great thread, hopefully someone knows Joe and we can make an Arfcommer out of him.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]
He showed a lot of restraint. I might have held my foot to his neck and the barrel of my gun in his eye until the cops came.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Her name is Patricia Maisch, and she went full retard in the Shepard Smith interview... blaming Sarah Palin and other Republicans.... also ranting about some job-killing bill or some nonsense.

She may have been trying to get the gun from the perp so she could start shooting people. Good thing Joe showed up !

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Fox has completely ignored Joe's efforts.

Initially Shep Smith said something about a citizen possibly exchanging gunfire - but then just dropped that completely.

I smell a Sheriff controlling the story.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Hats off.  Can anyone push these names to the right media outlets?
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes , on one hand we have Sherrif Puknik who proudly states that he is not a proponent of ALLOWING citizens to run willy nilly through the streets  packing. And on the other hand , JOE ZAMUDIO , who heard gunshots and ran towards the sound.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Bravo for Geraldo having him on!
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hats off.  Can anyone push these names to the right media outlets?

Won't matter.

By the time ARFCOM was up to 48 pages, including names, motives, weapon, etc. the news channels were all still blathering nonsense.

The news doesn't care about the facts, they care about "the story."
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Veteran and CCW holder for the win!
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I concur.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Retired Colonel and CCW trumps schitzo-libtard every time !
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I concur.

Mark LaRue agrees and is giving him a brand new rifle....

Quoted:
Watching Fox / Geraldo right ...

Joe Zamudio (sic) ...

24 years old ... told Geraldo he was armed but decided not to whack the sumbitch for obvious safety-to-others reason.

Joe said he was sitting on the sumbitch's legs while the other guy looked to Joe like he was trying his damndest to break th

[span style='text-decoration: underline;']Joe is a cool cucumber ... and has a new rifle coming his way as soon as I figure out how to get it to him.

If anybody knows what FFL he uses, let me know he uses, let me know.

M. LaRue [/s]

LINK

All hail LaRue.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I concur.

Quoted:

Joe Zamudio (sic) ...

24 years old ... told Geraldo he was armed but decided not to whack the sumbitch for obvious safety-to-others reason.

Joe said he was sitting on the sumbitch's legs while the other guy looked to Joe like he was trying his damndest to break the guys arm

Joe is a cool cucumber ... and has a new rifle coming his way as soon as I figure out how to get it to him.

M. LaRue [/s]

LINK

All hail LaRue.

Good deal.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Great thread, hopefully someone knows Joe and we can make an Arfcommer out of him.

I sent him a friend request on Facebook - wanted to thank him for being a credit to gun owners.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I need a copy of that video.  I don't want to be at CNN's mercy if they take it down.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I concur.

Quoted:

Joe Zamudio (sic) ...

Joe said he was sitting on the sumbitch's legs while the other guy looked to Joe like he was trying his damndest to break th

[span style='text-decoration: underline;']Joe is a cool cucumber ... and has a new rifle coming his way as soon as I figure out how to get it to him.

M. LaRue [/s]

LINK

Very cool.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I concur.

Quoted:

Joe Zamudio (sic) ...

M. LaRue [/s]

LINK

Very cool.

+1

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 12:40:55 AM EDT
[#22]
It's good to see us in a positive light...and good to see Mr. Zamudio knew when––and when not––to draw his sidearm.!  
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 12:47:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Amazing thread.

Forget one crazy POS.

Remember those who did something when it mattered.

74? LOVE IT!
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 12:51:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

I sent him a friend request on Facebook - wanted to thank him for being a credit to gun owners.

Send him an email of what Mr. LaRue said...

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 12:51:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 4:20:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Morning bump for Joe, who was just interviewed on Fox News.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 4:25:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Morning bump for Joe, who was just interviewed on Fox News.

I watched that interview as well.  Pretty humble guy.  I found myself clapping for him afterwards.  What a brave young man.  I bet he was carrying a 1911....
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 4:29:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

He showed a lot of restraint. I might have held my foot to his neck and the barrel of my gun in his eye until the cops came.

Yes, being the only non-uniform holding a gun on a chaotic scene like that is a GREAT idea.

If there had been a need for a gun, fine, but if there is no reason to draw, then it is generally a better idea to keep your piece concealed.

IMO, Mr. Zamudio did the correct thing.

Part of the responsibility of carrying a firearm is not only knowing when to get it (or not get it) out, and keeping your cool. Real life is not the movies.

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 4:31:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, being the only non-uniform holding a gun on a chaotic scene like that is a GREAT idea.
If there had been a need for a gun, fine, but if there is no reason to draw, then it is generally a better idea to keep your piece concealed.
Part of the responsibility of carrying a firearm is not only knowing when to get it (or not get it) out, and keeping your cool. Real life is not the movies.

+1
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Yep, good call...

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 6:52:27 AM EDT
[#31]
If anyone sees the video for the Fox & Friends interview with Joe Zamudio, please post it here.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:37:54 AM EDT
[#32]
The guys on Fox and Friends asked Joe if he had any "formal" training...he said nope...that his Dad raised him with guns....
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 8:07:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the exact same thing zoot

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

agreed
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I concur.

Quoted:

Joe Zamudio (sic) ...

M. LaRue [/s]

LINK

All hail LaRue.

wow  BRAVO MARK!
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#36]
there was a man with a camera who said 'shooter shooter get down' and I ran towards the noise

In a world full of sheep, it's good to have a few sheepdogs.

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#37]
tag
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Would the CCW holder have gotten into legal trouble had he shot an active shooter, since he ran to where he heard the gunshots from? I say no, my friend claims that since it wasnt in his immediate vacinity, he could have gotten in trouble because he involved himself had he shot him while the guy was shooting.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Edit:  Wrong thread
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Would the CCW holder have gotten into legal trouble had he shot an active shooter, since he ran to where he heard the gunshots from? I say no, my friend claims that since it wasnt in his immediate vacinity, he could have gotten in trouble because he involved himself had he shot him while the guy was shooting.

I happy to say that I can't imagine how your friend came to that conclusion.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

No, in my area the CHL holder would have received the keys to the city

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I happy to say that I can't imagine how your friend came to that conclusion.

He lives in NJ.

I found what i was looking for to use in my argument anyway :)

2005 Arizona Code - Revised Statutes §13-406  Justification; defense of a third person

A person is justified in threatening or using physical force or deadly physical force against another to protect a third person if:

1. Under the circumstances as a reasonable person would believe them to be, such person would be justified under section 13-404 or 13-405 in threatening or using physical force or deadly physical force to protect himself against the unlawful physical force or deadly physical force a reasonable person would believe is threatening the third person he seeks to protect; and

2. A reasonable person would believe that such person's intervention is immediately necessary to protect the third person.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Bump, wanted to keep this active.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
there was a man with a camera who said 'shooter shooter get down' and I ran towards the noise

In a world full of sheep, it's good to have a few sheepdogs.

Right on, that there is a hell of a man. Ran towards the vilonece, not away.

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#45]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUmmOWL05r8&feature=related

Carry your guns (and know how to use them).  We are the "first responders."
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 7:04:04 AM EDT
[#46]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-3GTwalrGY
A most excellent interview with Joe.
This one is a keepsake.
Jeremy

ETA:

Link Posted: 1/13/2011 7:21:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Looks like Ed, in spite of being a "gun owner" is for gun control. Joe told him like it is.

Hessian-1
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the exact same thing zoot

OTOH, he probably could have gotten in a few gratuitous pistol whips and then re-holstered.

Link Posted: 1/13/2011 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Looks like Ed, in spite of being a "gun owner" is for gun control. Joe told him like it is.

Hessian-1

I did not care much for ED's comments at all. " ...they have been a part of my family for over 33 years. I don't own any pistols, they were meant to kill." Okay ed, your deer rifle was meant for target practice only, stop killing things with it. You either support all firearms that are legal, or you don't. No middle ground when it comes to politics ED.

Jeremy

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top