Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#1]
All I bought was a lime.

No since getting scurvy or having a limeless gin and tonic tonight.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well, every now and then we get tired of non-stop Filet Mignon and lobster. Sometimes the kids want cereal or toast. Go figure. A few real fringe  people even have 3 or 4 kids and milk and bread go fast.

I guess I am one of those fringe people. 3 kids and they can go through a gallon of milk in two days. Toast and sandwiches for the fam and there went a loaf of bread.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I prefer to do my shopping during the snow storm. Usually very few people in the store and they still have everything I want.

I've done this after I shovel out and boredom sets in.
Used to take my daughter out on the 4 wheeler but she's 18 now and not so interested.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The milkman lights the breadman's cigars with $100 bills when the weatherman predicts an inch of snow where I'm from too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, every now and then we get tired of non-stop Filet Mignon and lobster. Sometimes the kids want cereal or toast. Go figure. A few real fringe  people even have 3 or 4 kids and milk and bread go fast.

This.

I have yet to see a snow storm when I couldn't get to the store but I don't feel like going out to a cold truck for food when I could have bought it all two days ago.
Were you alive in 1978?

Because THAT is the reason people stock up on Milk and bread. New England was crippled for a week by a storm that was not predicted properly. Many died. Widespread power outages. mid Atlantic states were also crippled for nearly a week. Food was scarce; truckers could not get here...even if they could, folks couldn't get to the stores.

http://tinyurl.com/26xvd56

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Is this really an Arfcom thread bitching about people prepping?

Now THAT's comedy!

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#7]
these times are the only advantage to working at a grocery store....when SHTF, i'm Lord Humongous
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Because people that wait until the last minute to get food are dumber than a bag of fucking hammers.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

these times are the only advantage to working at a grocery store....when SHTF, i'm Lord Humongous

"Just walk away.  Leave the bread, the milk, the eggs and the whole shopping cart, and I'll spare your lives.  Just walk away, and I promise safe passage through the Kroger."

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

"Just walk away.  Leave the bread, the milk, the eggs and the whole shopping cart, and I'll spare your lives.  Just walk away, and I promise safe passage through the Kroger."

http://hockeyheadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/lord1a.jpg

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I live 40 miles west of Austin in the sticks. The forecast for Austin was 1.5 inches of rain. I needed some beer and a few things so I made a store run. You would have thought everyone in Austin thought the world was coming to an end. OMG IT"S GOING TO RAIN GET TO THE STORE BEFORE WE  GET KILLED BY 1.5 INCHES OF RAIN! FUUUUUU we are dead. We got 2 inches.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Milk and eggs are for snowcream

Don't really understand the bread thing though

Snowcream sammiches................Duh
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
you don't hardly drink much milk?  

why does that sound funny?

Because it's grammatically incorrect.

Yes, I am a grammar nazi. I can't help it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://hockeyheadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/lord1a.jpg

bingo..i gots keys and a couple of meatroom henchmen,too...for "long pig specials" in mad max world...

yup...might be willing to trade country hams for ammo at a future date,too..

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Icy Apocalypse
...no zombies though

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What's a snow storm?

It's where it gets really cold and tiny white ice crystals fall from the sky....sometimes in massive quantities.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#18]
If the power is out you can eat things that don't require cooking.

Like cereal (nice to have milk for that) and sandwiches (which never seem right without bread.)
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a snow storm?

It's where it gets really cold and tiny white ice crystals fall from the sky....sometimes in massive quantities.

You gotta be joking, right?

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They should be stocking up on some hearty Belgian Ales. Not only fills your stomach, but keeps you warm and helps the time go by nicely. The Monks knew what they were doing.

Alcohol doesn't keep you warm.

Alcohol makes the consumer feel "warm" but alcohol actually lowers your internal body temperature. If this worries you take ecstacy when you drink that'll sure keep you warm...
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd stash tamales and gin
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Also what is all the hate I am seeing for people having some foresight and preparing for a snowstorm? Geeze this is the last place I thought people would be given a hard time for preparing... There are many legitimate reasons to pick up supplies before a winter storm... Especially medicine for those that need it...
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Folks here drive SUVs in the snow like it's Spring time.
I grab a few extra items, park the trucks and wait for the Darwin candidates to litter the guard rails.

Where the fuck is "here"?

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#24]
No idea. Same with massive amounts of TP. Why? One or two rolls isn't enough? I think you'd run out of food long before you'd run out of TP.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Get yo bread, get yo milk, dey snowin errbody out here.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What's a snow storm?

Beautiful, is what it is.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Milk sandwiches.  Traditional Southern snow dish.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
you don't hardly drink much milk?  

why does that sound funny?

Because it's grammatically incorrect.

Yes, I am a grammar nazi. I can't help it.

We should get together and discuss it further
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#29]
It's a survival trait, ingrained into human instincts from a time when our primitive ancestors shopped in supermarkets without roofs.  After a snowstorm, it was hard as shit to find white stuff like milk, bread, and TP.  Those who purchased such items in advance were better equipped to survive, and passed this characteristic on to their offspring.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#30]

It's like buying a condom for a first date.   You know you aren't going to need it....but just in case.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't know.  Never done it, and I don't live where it snows.
If I did live where it snows, and if I had little kids, I'd want milk for them to drink, and bread for sandwiches, which don't require cooking.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Staples.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#33]
They don't know how to cook and my not be able to make it to a fast food joint.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's so they can enjoy a skin-nourishing bath and then dry off without getting any towels dirty.

Funniest fucking thing I have EVER read!!!!
You sir WIN!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#35]
this thread gives me lulz
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#36]
What it really shows is the panicky fear and unpreparedness of your average sheeple in this country.  Fortunately, I guess, I am lactose intolerant so no milk for me and I buy lots of bread each grocery shopping day.  I keep the excess in the freezer, keeps fine that way.

What was waaaaay more unbelievable was the massive lines of cars at the gas pumps on 9/11/01.  People were waiting in several blocks long lines to buy gas at upwards of $4 a gallon because apparently, the twin towers going down was going to end oil production immediately and those 12.7 gallons of gas they were going to spend $80 for would get them through the next several years of no oil.  It was absolutely stupid.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#37]
There are still some parts of the country where it is wise to stay ahead of the game.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:19:41 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's a snow storm?

Beautiful, is what it is.

http://vwsage.com/images/Photos%20for%20Blog/snowstorm.jpg
For about 37 seconds. After that, it's work that gets covered in dirt.

That's when it becomes Rosie O'Donnell Ugly.

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:27:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

For about 37 seconds. After that, it's work that gets covered in dirt.
That's when it becomes Rosie O'Donnell Ugly.

Nah, that happens the next day
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:29:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Milk and eggs are for snowcream

Don't really understand the bread thing though

Icicle sandwiches.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:31:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I have yet to see a snow storm when I couldn't get to the store but I don't feel like going out to a cold truck for food when I could have bought it all two days ago.
Were you alive in 1978?

Because THAT is the reason people stock up on Milk and bread. New England was crippled for a week by a storm that was not predicted properly. Many died. Widespread power outages. mid Atlantic states were also crippled for nearly a week. Food was scarce; truckers could not get here...even if they could, folks couldn't get to the stores.

http://tinyurl.com/26xvd56
Yep, you should pop over to the ARFCOM survival forum. I would recommend that everyone have at least a month's worth of food, just for weather related problems. The supply chain for grocery stores is pretty fragile, and little problem with weather or road, things could get a bit complicated.

Personally, for me, I would get eggs also so that I can have french toast for breakfast.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:32:20 AM EDT
[#42]
I would get jerky and peanuts.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:34:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've never been able to get this.  The store shelves around here are totally devoid of milk and bread.  I don't hardly drink much milk and I only use bread for toast and sandwiches.  A loaf will last my wife and I for more than a week.  Why in the hell do people stock up on just milk and bread before a snowstorm?

Because they are survivalists who have a years worth of freeze dried food but the bread maker is busted and they are tired of condensed milk.

Actually I am pretty set up for 3-4 weeks of food if things went to hell but I would still need bread and milk because they both go bad.

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Why would you guys down south worry about the snow keeping you from the store? Is your snowmobile in the shop or something?
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:37:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

doesn't really count as prepping if you run to the store at the last second :)
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:48:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Dumbass southerners.

It's because it can be difficult to get to the grocery store in the next few days, so people push their normal shopping forward.

What you're seeing isn't everyone in the county buying milk, but rather a case study in just how low a grocery store's inventory really is.

Every time it snows south of the mason dixon line, a bunch of geniuses start threads criticizing people for not wanting their wives to drive on ice.

First of all -  SNOW RULES.  The only people who don't like snow are women and metrosexuals and other joyless, fussy, pampered, unhappy, consumer types.  Funny how dismayed everyone is when it rains or snows, as if it was some sort of strange occurance like a Biblical plague of locusts.

Second - all it takes for the shelves to empty off is for 10% of the shoppers to say, "Hmmm... I need bread for the kid's lunches, i'll pick up an extra loaf just in case I cannot get to the store".  It's not like everyone ran in a screaming panic to the store for bread.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Why do people stock up on bread and milk before a snowstorm?

Because they haven't stocked up on flour, yeast, and Morning Moo.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 6:40:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never been able to get this.  The store shelves around here are totally devoid of milk and bread.  I don't hardly drink much milk and I only use bread for toast and sandwiches.  A loaf will last my wife and I for more than a week.  Why in the hell do people stock up on just milk and bread before a snowstorm?

Because they are survivalists who have a years worth of freeze dried food but the bread maker is busted and they are tired of condensed milk.

Actually I am pretty set up for 3-4 weeks of food if things went to hell but I would still need bread and milk because they both go bad.

You can put bread in the freezer. We usually rotate out a few loaves at a time. They keep great in the freezer for a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is all a matter of degree.

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It is all a matter of degree.

The Dow could plunge faster than the mercury!!! This could be THE BIG ONE

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top