Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 2:05:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:  

Luttrell is the only living witness that was on the ground that wasn't a taliban fighter, so his word will have to suffice.  Anything else is just Monday morning QB bullshit, unless the guy who claims to have been flying the predator drone is able to step up and give reliable testimony otherwise.  

As for why they didn't use the radio, it is covered in the book.  If you haven't read the book, then don't make assumptions when you are ill informed.  The man with the radio was the first one killed and his body, and therefore the radio, was not in an area that could be easily reached, IIRC from the book.

Well the problem is, his AAR doesn't match the book other than it is being in AFG and his team mates being killed.   The book is pretty much a work of historical fiction, ghost written by a guy who primarily does SEAL fiction.  

The issue of the radios, was the Marine told them that a 148 didn't have the power necessary for where they were going.  The team decided for reasons of weight that they would stick with the 148, vice the 117 that the Marines who were operating in the territory were using.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 2:09:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
maybe they should just talk to someone who was really there.

I had the misfortune of watching the CH47 getting shot down in realtime Predator feed.

Not nearly as unfortunate as what happened to those who were in the fight.

As the only one who can shed any sort of authoritative light on the situation, what was your take on the events that transpired there?
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 5:59:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, I was unaware that there was so much controversy surrounding this operation.

(Then again, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. Real life very rarely plays out the way the papers say, at least in my experience.)
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
read it and the point was what? the military covered up the operation( rather skewed the information in it). The SOF command took over a US Marine operation( first two phases in exchange for help)? The war in A-stan is a SF style of war and I'm sure the Marines where glad to have the SEALs. The comm break down?, it can happen with any kind of gear, getting found on a mission? happens. SEALs coming to the aid of other SEALS and taking a risk that ended in tragedy,..... it's war.  "He who dares wins" risk is part of the job.

SF and SEALs
Comparing footballs to nanotubes.
I don't know of any military organization that is happy to have SEALs.
The comm break down happened after the SEALs specifically did not take the advice of the marines.

A 148 is a great piece of kit.  It is NOT a substitute for a PRC-117, however.  Nor is an iridium

1st key is to not reinforce failure, but the MH-47 shoot down could have been dumb luck.  Or it could have been a poor choice of LZs.  

Were they trying to use the MBITR to reach the Marines' net down valley or with a TACSAT antenna?

I think TACSAT.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top