Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/26/2010 7:32:47 PM EDT
My brother in the Shitcago burbs calls me yesterday, Merry Christmas and all that.

Anyway, he asks about a good home-defense weapon?

Turns out he had an attempted break-in last week, while he and the wife were at home.  Upscale neighborhood with a 7-series BMW in the driveway.  They hear someone prying and jamming at the back door.  They grab the cordless telephone, a butcher knife and lock themselves in the hall bathroom.  Call 911 and cower in fear.  The dispatcher asks if they have a firearm, and tells them that can use if if they feel threatened (no shit Sherlock).  Takes several minutes for the calvary to arrive, who also inquire if my brother has a firearm.  Somewhere along the way, the prep disappeared.  Of course, nothing good comes from it, perp isn't even pursued, well, that's about it.

I recommended this to him.

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#1]
if it was an upscale neighborhood, why didn't they park their 7-series BMW in a garage?

ETA: I have the Remington 870 Tactical and it's a sweet shotgun, i load it with birdshot for HD.

my weapons of choice against home invasions

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#2]

i would pray too if that happened to me.

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's mine:

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Depending on budget...

Remington 870 police.

Mossberg 590

Remington 870 express with factory 8 shot extension.

Maverick 88 with factory 8 shot extension.

All should be adequate when loaded with buckshot. Make sure he practices.

Regardless of wealth, he should stick with a pump shotgun or a revolver unless he wants to make a hobby out of it and learn the in's and out's of semi-automatic firearms.

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Just an Obama supporter gettin' what's his.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#6]
12 gauge shotgun with #1 buck and bright LED light, reliable handgun with bright light, training and practice.
What am I missing?
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Shotgun and 00 buckshot.

There was a video going around some time ago of a guy being shot point blank in the chest, center mass with a shotgun from about five feet, presumably with buckshot.  Yes, it dropped him like his legs were cut from his body.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My brother in the Shitcago burbs calls me yesterday, Merry Christmas and all that.

Turns out he had an attempted break-in last week, while he and the wife were at home.  Upscale neighborhood with a 7-series BMW in the driveway.  They hear someone prying and jamming at the back door.  They grab the cordless telephone, a butcher knife and lock themselves in the hall bathroom.  Call 911 and cower in fear.  The dispatcher asks if they have a firearm, and tells them that can use if if they feel threatened (no shit Sherlock).  Takes several minutes for the calvary to arrive, who also inquire if my brother has a firearm.  Somewhere along the way, the prep disappeared.  Of course, nothing good comes from it, perp isn't even pursued, well, that's about it.

I disagree. Your brother is now putting some thought into protecting his family.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#9]
If your bro is not a firearms guy, he could get hurt very badly. I would suggest some pepper or tear gas spray. The reason is that if you show a gun, you have better be prepared to use it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

ETA: I have the Remington 870 Tactical and it's a sweet shotgun, i load it with birdshot for HD.

and let the debate begin......NOW!
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
if it was an upscale neighborhood, why didn't they park their 7-series BMW in a garage?  

http://images110.fotki.com/v560/photos/4/499657/1762319/download-vi.jpg

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#12]
If he is serious about getting a gun for self defense and he has a 7 series BMW in the driveway why not suggest that he get some professional firearms training as it sounds like he might have the money to do it. All the hardware in the world isn't going to solve a software problem.

He should also probably invest in good physical security as a first layer.
ETA: Nothing like a terrifying situation to flip the switch in someone's mind that they aren't going to be a victim anymore. It happened to me.

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking at the high brass on the spares, I think and hope he's joking.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#14]
If they're just getting one gun, it should be something the wife can use too.  Maybe a high capacity pistol cal. carbine.  If it's a shotgun, go with low recoil shells.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looking at the high brass on the spares, I think and hope he's joking.
of course i was, but my clips are loaded.

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Can't go wrong with an 870.  But it's not friendly to south paws.  I prefer the Mossy 500.  But that's cuz I'm wrong handed.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree. Your brother is now putting some thought into protecting his family.

Yep, and just tell him to get 0 Buck shot, not bird shot.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#18]
The EBR of your choice.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#19]
If he's got the bucks why not a nice AR with an aimpoint, a surefire, and some TAP?
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#20]
870 police w/ low recoil 00buck
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Can't go wrong with an 870.  But it's not friendly to south paws.  I prefer the Mossy 500.  But that's cuz I'm wrong handed.

i'm a lefty, so far the ejected shells haven't hit me in the face yet

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I am talking to him about getting his FOID so he can buy something, then getting a shotgun, and some trigger time at a local range, of maybe come down to Texas and I'll run him through the procedures.

He's not so much a big liberal, he just assumed nobody really needed a gun, until....

And BTW, I have taken him skeet shooting a couple times back in the 1990's.

I'm glad he came to me.  And it was a chance to promote the ideal of CCW and training.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Someone kicked in our front door last week weekend.  I've since installed these on the front and back doors.  I also put a padlock on the backyard gates because one of the perps was out there and started setting my home alarm EVERY time we sleep or leave the house.  Motion sensor lights were in place at the time of the break-in but they did not deter the burglars.  We made the mistake of not picking up our newspaper for 3-4 days so they assumed we were not at home.  

I've learned that a multi-layered defense to make your house such a PITA to get into that a burglar will leave it for easier pickings is the right thing to do.  Of course, the last layer of that defense is either a 12 gauge shotgun or a high capacity pistol or rifle but the strategy is to maximize the odds that they will never make it that far.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

or try an Ithica model 37HD.  bottom eject for true ambidexterious use
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I hope the experience of cowering behind a hollow-core door with a phone and a butcher knife has wrought a lasting change in their way of thinking about personal security.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#26]
If he's been skeet shooting before, then he should know what to expect with regards to a shotgun's recoil. And  I don't think there are many guns better for HD than a Remington 870 12ga, though that is a personal (ie unprofessional) opinion.

Will his wife be shooting it too? If so, then maybe a 20ga would be good. They will ruin a bad guy's day very well and won't have quite the recoil.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot22.htm
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I hope the experience of cowering behind a hollow-core door with a phone and a butcher knife has wrought a lasting change in their way of thinking about personal security.

Yes, I think it hit him pretty hard.  He's a masculine guy, played football (even semi-pro) and generally is not a pussy in any way.  Locked in a potty talking to a 911 operator while somebody is breaking in has got to be humbling and awakening at the same time.

He always wondered why I CCW.  Yesterday while we talked, I told him how good it made me feel, even if I never needed to use my carry gun.  And if I did, and lost, at least I'd go down fighting for myself and my family.

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

i'm a lefty, so far the ejected shells haven't hit me in the face yet

Me neither. I just can't get comfortable with the controls on the 870.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He always wondered why I CCW.  Yesterday while we talked, I told him how good it made me feel, even if I never needed to use my carry gun.  And if I did, and lost, at least I'd go down fighting for myself and my family.
The old saw of "better to have it, and not need; than to need it, and not have it."

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Any pump action shotgun should do the trick. Even a 20ga with the right ammo would be good to go if his wife can't take the 12.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I don't know, cowering in the bathroom with a butcher's knife and waiting for the police to show up sounds like a pretty good idea to me, as long as they don't have kids to protect. But, cowering in the bathroom with a shotgun and waiting for the police to arrive is an even better idea.

Going out searching for bad guys in the dark while you're stumbling around in your draws isn't really that great of a plan and just having a gun isn't necessarily going to do you a whole lot of good if you don't know how to use it.

I've been through kind of a lot of firearms training, and if anyone breaks into my place then I'll probably be cowering in my bedroom with an AR waiting for the police to arrive.

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Old Ithaca 37. $200
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 8:33:35 PM EDT
[#34]
They need to practice with that 870 or any other manual pump, short stroking under stress, or getting it locked on an empty chamber and panicking etc. and being unable to find the action-lock is common. So building muscle memory is a must.

A trap club will solve that. And the good thing is that no intruder is going to be as small as a clay pigeon or fly at 40+ mph either.

Otherwise, a Remington 1100, Beretta AL930 family (or whatever they're calling them now...) or a Mossberg 930SPX might be a good choice so there's no worries on short-stroking it, and there's the gas semi-auto action to soak up a little recoil.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Currently this. Colt HBAR and Gemtech HALO.

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#36]
I think these conversations are best started with discussions of commitment more than equipment.  Before you guide him to a firearm, be sure he's willing to use it and to be trained/practice to use it.  There's a lot of people who think it is a magic talisman that will ward off bad guys or scare them away without violence.  If he falls into that category, helping him pick a gun isn't a service to him.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn sorry to hear that...seems like these threads are becoming more and more common.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

870 police w/ low recoil 00buck

For a noob with little experience who lives in a place that frowns upon lawful SD / HD... this is a good choice.

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Sounds like he got a little reality check, now get him a PA system to play a shotgun racking sound when a sensor trips.

Really get him a 12g and teach him and his wife to use it. I think your making this harder then it needs to be
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#40]
And The Lord sayeth...."Take up my prophet John's most holy implement of divine retribution.....Go forth and smite the scumbags and send their souls to Hell"

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Hate to say it but I think he's fucked if he is hiding his candy ass in the bathroom begging for help over the phone.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#42]
buncha folks here seemed to have missed it's SHITCAGO.  GUn bans / regs / registration cards, the works.   OP, how about starting with the list of what he can actually have, it'll be much shorter.

eta -

]"The City of Chicago requires all firearms possessed in the city to be registered. Handguns not previously registered in Chicago cannot be registered."

Let me clarify some things for you. First of all, Chicago has a complete ban on hand guns. Chicago residents cannot own them; they're illegal and you can serve anywhere from 6 months to 10 years in jail for having one, even in your home. Secondly, you cannot carry concealed weapons in Chicago, nor can you open carry. You can open carry in Illinois, but only when hunting. To legally own a gun here, you have to obtain a Firearms Owners Identification card which is obtained through the Illinois State Police. There are cities in Illinois that ban guns all together. Cook County (the county that Chicago is located in) outlawed assault rifles and magazines.

Link Posted: 12/26/2010 11:18:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think these conversations are best started with discussions of commitment more than equipment.  Before you guide him to a firearm, be sure he's willing to use it and to be trained/practice to use it.  There's a lot of people who think it is a magic talisman that will ward off bad guys or scare them away without violence.  If he falls into that category, helping him pick a gun isn't a service to him.
The anti-gunners before they had this AW BS, was advising people to get a shotgun because "just racking the slide will scare them away." BUT, of course, what if it doesn't, are you prepared to use it against another human being? If there is any hesitation, the BG will certainly take your gun and shoot you with it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 11:50:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I've been shooting lefty since the beginning of my existence, and for the life of me I cannot make any weapon I've ever shot hit me in the face with an ejected shell.

I've tried all manners of pistols, shotguns, subguns, carbines and fully automatic weapons with no luck, with any without case deflectors.

So what's the secret to getting hit in the face with brass?
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 11:57:06 PM EDT
[#45]
He lives in the suburbs there isnt those kind of regulations there.

Quoted:

buncha folks here seemed to have missed it's SHITCAGO.  GUn bans / regs / registration cards, the works.   OP, how about starting with the list of what he can actually have, it'll be much shorter.

eta -

]"The City of Chicago requires all firearms possessed in the city to be registered. Handguns not previously registered in Chicago cannot be registered."

Let me clarify some things for you. First of all, Chicago has a complete ban on hand guns. Chicago residents cannot own them; they're illegal and you can serve anywhere from 6 months to 10 years in jail for having one, even in your home. Secondly, you cannot carry concealed weapons in Chicago, nor can you open carry. You can open carry in Illinois, but only when hunting. To legally own a gun here, you have to obtain a Firearms Owners Identification card which is obtained through the Illinois State Police. There are cities in Illinois that ban guns all together. Cook County (the county that Chicago is located in) outlawed assault rifles and magazines.

Link Posted: 12/27/2010 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Cook county's regs are just as fucked up.

And the whole state falls under their f'ed up FOID gun owner registration program.

So do some work and find out just what set of Illinois' fucked-up anti-gun rules he falls under. Then maybe you can get some useful help.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/

Firearm Owner's Identification Information    

The Firearms Services Bureau is responsible for administering the Firearm Owner's Identification Program (FOID) and the Firearm Transfer Inquiry Program (FTIP). The FOID card is required for any resident of Illinois to possess or purchase firearms. During the FOID application process, the applicant’s identification and background information is checked. Individuals with prohibiting factors are disallowed from obtaining a FOID card.

Through the FTIP program, background checks are conducted on prospective firearms purchasers attempting to acquire a firearm from an Illinois firearm dealer. Potential violations of law uncovered by these programs are quickly referred to law enforcement entities. These efforts contribute to a comprehensive strategy intended to reduce the availability of illegal firearms in Illinois  

Questions may be directed to the ISP FOID Section by phone at 217-782-7980 between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. CST Monday through Friday.

Due to the large volume of firearm-related questions, please allow 30 days from the date your check cleared the bank before inquiring about the status of your FOID application.

get that last part - don't even ask about the status of your app, peasant, until 30days after your check clears.  So he's got at least a month of waiting, before he gets his card, before he even gets approved to BUY a gun. Then more time.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 4:26:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I find it amazing how liberal types suddenly become converted once they get to cower in fear listening to a 911 dispatcher state "we'll be there in about 10 minutes".

As an aside is this the same CHicago that if they actually did shoot the intruder that your brother would probably be arrested, convicted and be sued for hurting an Obama voter looking for his wealth redistribution?
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 5:22:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
And The Lord sayeth...."Take up my prophet John's most holy implement of divine retribution.....Go forth and smite the scumbags and send their souls to Hell"

http://geoffreygoldberg.com/1911_l.jpg

That is beautiful..........I should read that scripture more often........
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 5:30:47 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm sorry if already asked and I missed it, but might I ask which suburb? Crime seems to be on the upswing in IL again.

Sorry this happened.

My primary HD weapon is a basic USGI 1911A1 and a  full choke 870 Wingmaster made in 1969 with 00 Buck.

Bad guys will not be welcomed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find it amazing how liberal types suddenly become converted once they get to cower in fear listening to a 911 dispatcher state "we'll be there in about 10 minutes".

As an aside is this the same CHicago that if they actually did shoot the intruder that your brother would probably be arrested, convicted and be sued for hurting an Obama voter looking for his wealth redistribution?

Chicago city and suburban residents are seldom if ever charged for shooting in self defense. Just over the summer a 60 year old lady in the ghetto walked outside and shot two hood rats in her front yard for throwing rocks at her house. She was more-or-less held up as a hero.

Couple weeks ago a customer in a tanning salon took away the honey bee killers gun and shot and killed him with it in an awesome display of fucking jedi knight ninja level shit, he was also held up as a hero.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top