Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2010 10:14:13 AM EDT
So did Patrick kill all those people or did he just imagine killing those people?
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So did Patrick kill all those people or did he just imagine killing those people?

Imagined it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Both
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both

Awesome...

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both

No, he simply had a psychotic break from reality.  His stash house where he housed all the bodies...none were actually there.

I'm going off the movie, not the book.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both

No, he simply had a psychotic break from reality.  His stash house where he housed all the bodies...none were actually there.

I'm going off the movie, not the book.

Then why the creepy routine from real estate agent?
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I actually saw it in the theater with my wife and another couple who are friends of ours.

I was LOL'ing through the whole thing.

They were just: They did not get it at all.

I always took it that he imagined the killings, and the realization they didn't happen was a final utter kind of defeat, because despite how crass and evil it was, the killings were the one REAL and VISCERAL thing he had going on in his life, and even that was fake.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Also, this thread needs more stray cats:

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This was the true sociopath in the movie, she cleaned up the apartment and was showing it to other buyers and was going to pocket the money herself since the owner was dead.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#10]
He had a nervous breakdown after forgetting to return some videotapes.

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#11]

also needs more of sabrina removing her dress..
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He had a nervous breakdown after forgetting to return some videotapes.

I realized it when he shot the car with the 9mm and it exploded.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was the true sociopath in the movie, she cleaned up the apartment and was showing it to other buyers and was going to pocket the money herself since the owner was dead.

I think you can take the movie either way.  If you work with the assumption that Bateman did kill all those people, then yes, that building manager cleaned up the bodies and literally whitewashed the crime scene to keep the value of her property up.  That's pretty twisted, but it fits in with the theme of everyone being interchangeable and everyone confusing everyone else for third parties.  Basically Bateman was psychotic, but he was so similar to the vapid and arrogant people he was surrounded with that he fit right in.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Imagined...  Remember that one of his 'first' was alive and well in England (or somewhere)...
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#15]
No. Marcus Halberstam did it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Imagined...  Remember that one of his 'first' was alive and well in England (or somewhere)...

No proof of that, except for a guy who claimed to have ate lunch with him.  That same guy couldn't even recognize one of his own clients face to face (bateman).  That's one of the themes in the movie, mistaken identity.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't know, but I'll never look at a Habitrail the same way again
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#18]
He killed 'em.

It was covered up by his father.

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#19]
You have to realize that NYC is a place where they throw old ladies out of the window so they can get their rent controlled apartments out on the market at current rates.
It's a big part of the city's legend and not unheard of in practice.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a watermark!
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#21]
What I took away from the book was some killings were real and other were imagined.

What I took from the movie was it was all in his head.

ETA:  But AJ_Duel's comment is really making me think now.  Might have to go back and re-read some parts.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I read an article a while back that said Bret Easton Ellis intended the book to be open to interpretation, and that he was a little annoyed that the movie director leaned more toward it all being in Bateman's mind. We weren't originally supposed to know for sure.

That was one fucking awesome and disturbing book, and a fun movie as well. I love them both.

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 11:54:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I read an article a while back that said Bret Easton Ellis intended the book to be open to interpretation, and that he was a little annoyed that the movie director leaned more toward it all being in Bateman's mind. We weren't originally supposed to know for sure.

That was one fucking awesome and disturbing book, and a fun movie as well. I love them both.

I hated how it described every single thing he saw. Ralph Lauren silk shirt, Hugo Boss tie, blah blah blah. So hard to get through.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#24]
The movie was only so-so. The part I liked was when he started to offer his insights on musicians and stuff, that part was pretty funny.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#25]
funny book, the movie, not so much.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hated how it described every single thing he saw. Ralph Lauren silk shirt, Hugo Boss tie, blah blah blah. So hard to get through.

Agreed. It was hard to get through those parts, but to the Bateman character those things were critical to his image, so it's kind of necessary to include that stuff if you really want to get inside his head. I've had some seriously yuppie friends in the past and those parts seemed to really capture their thought process perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you can take the movie either way.  If you work with the assumption that Bateman did kill all those people, then yes, (snip)quote]

Definitely read "Bateman" as "Batman" and laughed my ass off.  Seriously. I'm still chuckling.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you can take the movie either way.  If you work with the assumption that Bateman did kill all those people, then yes

Definitely read "Bateman" as "Batman" and laughed my ass off.  Seriously. I'm still chuckling.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Mergers and acquisitions....................................................Murders and executions..............
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#30]
My all time favorite Movie

he killed them

Paul allen  was not really seen in England either.   just more  evidence that  all of them confused each other cause they all looked the same and no one ever really cared or paid that much attention.

I tihnk the book makes it more clear. he imagined a lot though.   but some of the authors follow up little short stories  that happen after the movie when they where hyping it on the net before release    kinda gives more evidence he did the killlinbg.

he also shows up in a later ellis book and everyone knows him as a killer. so I tihnk its fairly clear he did the killings

so..

"Dont just stare at it christy , eat it!!"
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Marry Harron basically admitted that she fucked up the movie (mainly the ending) and if she had it to do over again she would have done it differently.

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My all time favorite Movie

he killed them

Paul allen  was not really seen in England either.   just more  evidence that  all of them confused each other cause they all looked the same and no one ever really cared or paid that much attention.

I tihnk the book makes it more clear. he imagined a lot though.   but some of the authors follow up little short stories  that happen after the movie when they where hyping it on the net before release    kinda gives more evidence he did the killlinbg.

he also shows up in a later ellis book and everyone knows him as a killer. so I tihnk its fairly clear he did the killings

so..

"Dont just stare at it christy , eat it!!"

So Patrick is in another one of her books.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I never thought so.

BTW, it's one of my favorite movies.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Awww man theres is a fucking miligram of sweetnlo in this i wanna get high not sprinkle it on my fucking oatmeal.
Snort;  While weak i think if we do enough it will work.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#35]
He absolutely did in the book

The movie left out a very key point at the end with the real estate agent: she had tons of fresh flowers everywhere to cover up the stench.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Funniest part of the book

"Some nights I would find myself roaming the beaches, digging up baby crabs and eating handfuls of sand––this was in the middle of the night when the sky was so clear I could see the entire solar system and the sand, lit by it, seemed almost lunar in scale. I even dragged a beached jellyfish back to the house and microwaved it early one morning, predawn, while Evelyn slept, and what I didn't eat of it I fed to the chow. "

I lol'd
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a watermark!

that's what she said.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#38]
I liked the facial Peel mask.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#39]
God I love that movie. My friends and I used to watch it before we went out to the bars and clubs on Friday night to get us pumped up. We would introduce ourselves and Sean and Patrick Bateman.

Sean Bateman makes his appearance in the movie "Rule of Attraction" which is another great flick.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Fantastic movie.  One of my favorites.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
God I love that movie. My friends and I used to watch it before we went out to the bars and clubs on Friday night to get us pumped up. We would introduce ourselves and Sean and Patrick Bateman.

Sean Bateman makes his appearance in the movie "Rule of Attraction" which is another great flick.

Thats so fucking gay....seriously dude. thats gay. Actually I shouldn't say "gay" as I would not want to accidentally associate honorable homosexuals with such loser behavior.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My friends and I used to watch it before we went out to the bars and clubs on Friday night to get us pumped up.

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats so fucking gay....seriously dude. thats gay. Actually I shouldn't say "gay" as I would not want to accidentally associate honorable homosexuals with such loser behavior.

It was a unique time. We would go out to the bars, and my buddy would go up to a girl and say "Your name is Christie". When talking to a group of girls we would use as many movie quotes as we could in the conversation like "Don't touch the watch", and ask them if they had seen "Oh Africa Brave Africa because it was a laugh riot", then leave all of a sudden because we had to return some movies. It was so fucking hilarious at times.

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a unique time. We would go out to the bars, and my buddy would go up to a girl and say "Your name is Christie". When talking to a group of girls we would use as many movie quotes as we could in the conversation like "Don't touch the watch", and ask them if they had seen "Oh Africa Brave Africa because it was a laugh riot", then leave all of a sudden because we had to return some movies. It was so fucking hilarious at times.

/thread
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top