Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2010 9:10:57 AM EDT
I have been renting a house for a few months and last night the thermostat said 59 but was set a 70 and the house was cold. Its an old house but has new windows and is mostly insulated. The Furnace is gas and is in the basement which is not heated. The thermostat is a Honeywell digital and the heat kick on about every 7 minutes and runs for around 3 minutes and repeats the cycle, The air coming from the vents is warm but it is not heating up the house. This has not been a problem until the outside tempeture went below 20. Any help, suggestions, or experience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Just breath deep. It will all be over soon. Now go to sleep.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I would call the landlord.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#3]
don't screw with it.. call the landlord.. it is his problem

If you mess with it first... they could blame you

ETA: and go buy at least one Carbon Monoxide Detector NOW

even if you have to pay out of your pocket, just do it.

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1.  One of the benefits of renting.

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah right, the landlord is a joke and is actually in Floridia right now.
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#6]
if gas forced air it is mostlikely triping off on a highlimit temp sensor ,try finding intake airfilters and replace to insure good airflow,also the antisipator setting on the digital t stat might need to be changed for a highgher run time,also a heat vent might be too close to the t stat heating it up before the house, so close that one down, good luck
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#7]
IF calling the landlord doesn't help, clean the flame sensor with fine sandpaper. It's probably dirty and sending a false signal.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
IF calling the landlord doesn't help, clean the flame sensor with fine sandpaper. It's probably dirty and sending a false signal.

had to do this last week
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That.  Your furnace is short cycling.  There are a number of possible causes (Google "furnace short cycles"), but the flame sensor is a likely, quick, and easy place to start.  I've had to lightly sand my flame sensor a couple times in the last 10 years.

Last year my furnace started short cycling.  It turns out that the old (1950s-era) mechanical thermostat (on the wall) went bad.  I replaced it with a cheap digital one.

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Older houses often have fireplaces that are no longr used. Make sure the draft is closed up inside the fireplace. Still, if you hold a smoldering piece of paper in front of the fireplace you'll probably see the smoke sucking into the chimney. It's a common problem - fireplaces suck heat out of a house and sometimes suck more when they are in use. Cover it over with cardboard, newspaper taped in place - whatever it takes to stop air flow. Use the same smoky match or paper to check windows and doors. I recently found that my cooking stove vent was acting in reverse and artic air was literally blasting down from it into the kitchen......so I Seran wrapped over the vent.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I would call the heating and air guy and have him bill the landlord.

Probably the thermocouple.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 9:46:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

DING. Key word being RENTING.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#13]
If it is actually lighting, it is NOT the flame sensor.  Flame sensor 99.999999% of the time won't even prove ignition if it's bad.

ETA: Call landlord.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Is the thermostat above a vent?

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah right, the landlord is a joke and is actually in Floridia right now.
Quoted:

Then it looks like the joke's on you, son.  It's his RESPONSIBILITY to unfuck the situation.  And if you look at your lease agreement there should be a standard clause in there about the place being 'liveable'. That's a catch-all for working plumbing, safe electrical and gas, and not freezing your dick off in the winter.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Is there anything blocking the exhaust vents?

I just had this problem Saturday, but then again, I also had 17" of snow over the weekend.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the responces.

No vent below thermostat
No vents blocked

Going to clean flame sensors and hope for the best.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
if gas forced air it is mostlikely triping off on a highlimit temp sensor ,try finding intake airfilters and replace to insure good airflow,also the antisipator setting on the digital t stat might need to be changed for a highgher run time,also a heat vent might be too close to the t stat heating it up before the house, so close that one down, good luck

Did you check your filter? powdershots might be close on the limit idea.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

This, and call the landlord I have had the same issue and I changed the filter and it fixed it.  You should definitely call the landlord if there is any doubt as heating issues are nothing o take lightly ans if you are concerned he might even get you a CM detector I know in the one apartment I own I bought my tennant one plus smoke detectors.

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#20]
constant cycling like that may mean the filter is clogged remove it see what happens
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I will check that also but I just bough a new pleated filter for it a few months ago. The house has been under some construction and alot of drywall dust in the air may have clogged it.

I will post tomorrow and let you guys know what the status is.

Thanks again for the help.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Does your stat have a "Fan" setting?  leave the fan running constantly.
Chances are no furnace will keep a house warm 100% of the time.
They are just not sized that large typically.

Check for any outside air or ventilation air from your unheated basement, note where it is set and then close the damper.
Re-open in in spring.

A gas furnace "Should" put out 120 F air on full heat, but that doesn't mean your house will stay 70 in the dead of winter.
It could be a problem with the furnace, so call the landlord and schedule a HVAC service call.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I will check that also but I just bough a new pleated filter for it a few months ago. The house has been under some construction and alot of drywall dust in the air may have clogged it.

I will post tomorrow and let you guys know what the status is.

Thanks again for the help.

Quoted:

Quoted:

A "Few months is NOT a long time for a furnace filter especially if you are in a dusty environment.  You definately want to go ahead and change that filter.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top