Site Notices
10/30/2014 3:55:04 PM
Author
Posted: 12/11/2010 7:59:47 AM
Obviously they kill if they damage or destroy the brain or CNS or cause severe blood loss.

But if a guy is gut shot, how long should it take him to die? Will he die at all and if so, what typically kills him, is it organ damage, blood loss, infection or a combination of these?

For example, I've always been told that during the 1800's, the cowboy days as I know them, if a bloke was gut shot, it was not only one of the most painfull places to get shot, but a slow death was almost certain, is that because of the lack of advanced medical care available or because no matter what a gut shot is leathal?.

Take this senario, if a bloke is shot in the gut, its a through and through, no vital organ has been hit, all it is is a hole in the body, if nothing vital has been hit, and no medical attention is given, could the bloke die and if so from what?
Obviously, if something important is hit, I guess depending on how important that thing is will determine how fast he dies but is is possible for soemone to die instantly from a handgun round, to the stomach or if nothing vital is hit would they have time to get to a hospital?

Also, what are the most common causes of death resaulting from a gun shot wound, blood loss, vital organ damage or infection?
bigjunk1
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 8:16:05 AM
[Last Edit: 12/11/2010 8:18:02 AM by bigjunk1]
Blood loss would be the most common death other than the instant head or heart shot.
Internal bleeding is caused from a gun shot to most any torso area.The lungs and or stomach will fill with blood causing a slower death from obvious reasons.
57Strat
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 8:18:12 AM
bloodsport2885
Use of live ammunition is now authorized
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 8:24:58 AM
[Last Edit: 12/11/2010 8:27:34 AM by bloodsport2885]
Gut shots often get infected VERY quickly due to introducing feces (and associated bacteria) into areas of the body they aren't normally found. You also have the liver, kidneys, aorta, and other organs that often have a very dense vascular supply, meaning any trauma to these could result in you bleeding out pretty quickly.

The assured slow death in the past was a result of poor medical care. Without antibiotics, the patient was sure to die and, in the case of battlefield hospitals, there were other wounded that might be saved through amputation. If you were unlucky enough not to bleed out within a few minutes, the death by infection was very gruesome and unpleasant. The pain often associated with abdominal wounds is likely similar to the pain of a hernia. Once the peritoneal (abdominal) sack is compromised, I imagine it becomes painful when your guts try to hold themselves together. Your abdominal muscles are also highly involved in your balance and movement so the wound would continually be aggravated by muscles contracting and tugging on the edges.

As for how fast a person dies and from what, that's impossible to say except on a case by case basis. Even today, untreated "through and through" gunshot wounds are likely to fester without sterile debridement and any wounds to internal organs are likely to bleed enough to kill. Your organs don't have the same vascular characteristics as skin (since your organs weren't designed to take damage like your skin) they often bleed profusely and require surgical repair to stop internal bleeding.
Originally Posted By ecgRN:
Floridahunter had to get some one to shoot him. Twonami and I manned up and did it ourselves....

0699TeufelHnd
Master Guns
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 8:28:25 AM
[Last Edit: 12/11/2010 8:28:41 AM by 0699TeufelHnd]
For all intensive porpoises, Magic.
steve2071
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 8:32:56 AM
A gunshot is tremendously traumatic on the human body, especially from higher power projectiles like a rifle. When a bullet is fired, there is not only the hot piece of metal being launched, but behind it follows a massive pressure wave. When the bullet strikes tissue, it penetrates and loses energy. Driving in behind it is that pressure wave, kind of like an invisible wedge that forces its way in behind the bullet. This causes massive disruption and tears and destroys surrounding tissue. When you hear about cavitation, this is usually caused by that pressure which is suddenly trapped inside the body and expands. Small space, lots of pressure, all kinds of things are going to rupture. Usually massive blood loss or acute organ failure is the result.
mhoffman
I don't trust a single one of you
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 8:35:05 AM
Short answer: It puts holes in things that aren't supposed to have holes.

Very, very short answer: Fuckin' miracles.

_MaH
Guys, uh... Act of God clause, fire protection... Saved our asses again.
tc556guy
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 8:38:13 AM
Exsanguination, primarily. Bleed out and the mechanism runs down.
*post contains personal opinion only and should not be considered information released in an official capacity*
Tomtbo
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 8:42:20 AM
With today's medicine, neither President Garfield or President McKinley would have died in office. Apparently, the doctors infected them more as they kept unhygienically opened them back up to remove the bullets that were no longer a threat.
timco
Boiler guy
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 8:44:21 AM
I'm leakin'.
The Patriot Act...Turning good citizens into suspects since 2001!
superchi
PRAY TO GOD YOU DON'T DROP THAT YELLOW CAKE
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 8:44:42 AM
Originally Posted By 0699TeufelHnd:

I lol'd
I KEEP IT REAL
Kuraki
Pavlov's deaf dog
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 8:46:17 AM
A number of things. Large, slow moving bullets tended to push bits of clothing in with the wound, introducing bacteria to the sterile body cavity. Lack of antibiotics, lack of standard precautions or an understanding of how infection works or is caused. Damage to the intestinal tract introducing fecal matter to the body cavity.
"It's hard to kill a horse with a flute."
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
Boycotting GM. Not one dime.
LaRue customer for life!
America-first
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 8:46:18 AM
Fatal gun shots ultimately result in lack of oxygen to the brain.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.
AeroE
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 8:50:32 AM

Originally Posted By Berettadeprived:
Obviously they kill if they damage or destroy the brain or CNS or cause severe blood loss.

But if a guy is gut shot, how long should it take him to die? Will he die at all and if so, what typically kills him, is it organ damage, blood loss, infection or a combination of these?

For example, I've always been told that during the 1800's, the cowboy days as I know them, if a bloke was gut shot, it was not only one of the most painfull places to get shot, but a slow death was almost certain, is that because of the lack of advanced medical care available or because no matter what a gut shot is leathal?.

Take this senario, if a bloke is shot in the gut, its a through and through, no vital organ has been hit, all it is is a hole in the body, if nothing vital has been hit, and no medical attention is given, could the bloke die and if so from what?
Obviously, if something important is hit, I guess depending on how important that thing is will determine how fast he dies but is is possible for soemone to die instantly from a handgun round, to the stomach or if nothing vital is hit would they have time to get to a hospital?

Also, what are the most common causes of death resaulting from a gun shot wound, blood loss, vital organ damage or infection?

You've pretty well nailed it, death could come from a broad spectrum of causes over greatly different spans of time.

Small caliber pocket pistols were indeed feared due to likely death from infection in the 1800's. That was the deterrent as much as the pistol.

20 January 2013 - The End of an Error

1 lbf = 32.174 lbm-ft/sec^2
TDCJBoss
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 8:52:31 AM
Pretty much what others have said. When it comes down to it
though, trauma is trauma is trauma. If you take a round through
some of the major blood vessels, you'll bleed out in under 5 minutes
(Say the Femorl artery). A shot through the head will, in all probability
stop brain function instantly.

It's all just a matter of where the bullet hits, and, how big the wound channel
is. Fully jacketed rounds tend to make a smaller wound channel than hollow
point or soft point rounds, with the latter giving more expeansion, thusly
opening the wound channel more and causeing more damage.
sherrick13
Nice JBT that says FBO
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 8:53:41 AM

Wrong.

Magnets.
Fist-of-Freedom: Shortly, in 2007, well maybe 2008, nope 2009, shit 2010... I'll show you folks my take on what could possibly trigger... The Hypercontracting Superdepression.
Booze
Hell Yeah.
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 9:29:04 AM
Has a lot to do with turning heart and lungs into goo. Otherwise, you're doing it wrong.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Honk if you've never seen an M203 fired out a car window.
Pegasus6
Motivated Through Ridicule
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 9:34:13 AM

Originally Posted By sherrick13:

Wrong.

Magnets.

Is there a difference?
'Well, Grant' Sherman said to his friend, 'we've had the devil's own day, haven't we?' 'Yes,' replied Grant, 'lick 'em tomorrow, though.'

Always one more thing...
marcushire
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 9:40:50 AM
On the subject of infection.

The Mrs. had a hysterectomy a couple of years ago. She ended up with a staph infection somewhere around her gut. The Dr. made the comment that the type of infection was what used to kill gunshot soldiers back in the day. Said it was a horrible way to go. The Mrs. agreed as she dealt with it for a couple of days before going in. Said it was much sharper and worse than child birth. She had screaming pains, high fever, it was pretty nasty.
Membership courtesy of mac130.
BrandonP
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 9:41:24 AM

In short...

Fuckin' bullets, how do they work?
offshorebear
PAZRT - Sector 4 Transportation
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 9:46:49 AM
Loss of blood pressure causes blood to not go to the brain. You pass out pretty quickly after that.
"Sorry I'm late. I had to stop by the wax museum again and give the finger to FDR." - Cotton Hill
us-kiwi
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 9:59:37 AM

Just go to the South Island when they are doing one of the 'deer shoots' from helo's.
Lots of carcasses to check out, with all different kinds of wounds.
Do a search on U tube, I saw a video 2-3 years ago, IIRC

Or just go whack some wild pork. Same deal.
Somebody, - I think one of the bigger gun mags, did a 'bullet test' a while ago on pigs.

IIRC they shot a lot of pigs in a lot of different ways, then studied the wounds.

Study was cut short, because people could not stomach the slaughter.

YMMV

Motor Racing, Mountain Climbing and Bullfighting are the only true sports. The others are simply children's games played by adults. - Ernest Hemingway
thorm001
Professional Gas Passer
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 10:07:43 AM
Hemmorhagic shock, spinal shock, TBI, or sepsis

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
OlKev
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 10:17:58 AM
We have a saying in surgery . . . "All bleeding eventually stops . . . "

Bleeding aside, gut shot - peritonitis . . . It got Houdini after a ruptured appendix.

MNJack762
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 11:31:16 AM

That is a good read.
Berettadeprived
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 6:36:51 PM
Thanks for the replies, there are certainly some dynamics at work which are obvious as I was reading them, but for some reason I never thought of before, in short, it is not as simple as just a hole, there is a lot more going on inside then I ever thought.
brickeyee
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 6:53:49 PM
[Last Edit: 12/11/2010 6:54:22 PM by brickeyee]

Gut shots are contaminated and infected about from the instant they happen.

The alimentary canal is NOT a sterile place, unlike the rest of the viscera.

A fever should show up in as little as 12 hours, with abdominal rigidity in a matter of minutes.

Your body does not like to digest itself.

KRONIIK
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 6:57:52 PM
I've heard it surmised that bullet holes in one's body allow one's ghost to leak out...
(That's almost always fatal.)

It sounds like something Clint Smith would say!
Eazy_E
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 6:59:19 PM
I think it's usually infected pockets of bile.
Snowleopard
Not to be left in unenlightened hands
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 7:05:15 PM
A shot to the belly won't always kill. Consider Alexis St. Martin.

On the other hand, he may have used up the luck for all of us there, between surviving and getting in the history books.
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 7:33:26 PM
Acute lead poisoning. One shot, and it's all over.
garand555
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 7:39:36 PM
Originally Posted By steve2071:
A gunshot is tremendously traumatic on the human body, especially from higher power projectiles like a rifle. When a bullet is fired, there is not only the hot piece of metal being launched, but behind it follows a massive pressure wave. When the bullet strikes tissue, it penetrates and loses energy. Driving in behind it is that pressure wave, kind of like an invisible wedge that forces its way in behind the bullet. This causes massive disruption and tears and destroys surrounding tissue. When you hear about cavitation, this is usually caused by that pressure which is suddenly trapped inside the body and expands. Small space, lots of pressure, all kinds of things are going to rupture. Usually massive blood loss or acute organ failure is the result.

Even if that pressure wave originates in the chest cavity, it can also cause brain hemorrhaging. You're typically not going that for hand gun cartridges smaller than, oh, about 357 mag, but that kind of secondary effect can be pretty nasty too.
Assault-Rifle-City
Southern by the grace of God.
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 7:47:52 PM
Tension pneumothorax, or piercing the chest cavity (which causes, among other things, one or both of the longs to collapse) is a quick and painful way to die if not treated quickly. Not real hard to fix, but a quick fix is necessary.
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson

1/26 INF, welcome to the suck.
sherrick13
Nice JBT that says FBO
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 10:06:10 PM

Originally Posted By Pegasus6:

Wrong.

Magnets.

Is there a difference?

Now that you mention it, no.
Fist-of-Freedom: Shortly, in 2007, well maybe 2008, nope 2009, shit 2010... I'll show you folks my take on what could possibly trigger... The Hypercontracting Superdepression.
MP0117
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 10:20:35 PM

Wrong.

Magnets.

Fuckin' A.

F22_RaptoR
The Discombobulator
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 10:37:21 PM
Essentially a fatal drop of blood pressure, or a direct hit to the central nervous system.

So they bleed out, or you shoot em in the head and destroy the brain.
You snorted AIDS - 82ND-ABN

"Whoa, whoa...you mean my Klorp was made in China!?!" - operatorerror
www-glock19-com
Field General of the Godless Armies of Satan
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 10:48:41 PM

Originally Posted By Eazy_E:
I think it's usually infected pockets of bile.

LOL 3 kings
my first thought at seeing the title too
Originally Posted By Aimless: Some dirty sons of bitches coming to steal your cattle that your family's livelihood depends on? What do you do? Kill the fuckers with a submachinegun.
MarkRSims
High...in fibre
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 10:50:57 PM
Basically, take your garden hose, hook it up to the watersource and put a prinkler on the other end. Turn the water on, It's important for you to live to keep the sprinkler going, it's the stuff in your body that works and keeps you going.

Whack the hose in the middle with an axe, and see what happens to the sprinkler. The axe is the bullet.

If you can fix the hose quick enough with some tape, you live. Note however, that if the hose still leaks, the sprinkler doesn't work as well.
Max: The chain in those handcuffs is high-tensile steel. It'd take you ten minutes to hack through it with this. Now, if you're lucky, you could hack through your ankle in five minutes. Go.
[the hacksaw is dropped next to The Kid, and Max limps off]
chupacabras
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2010 11:07:33 PM
The shockwaves of racking the slide on the pump shotgun obliterate the vitals.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.