Site Notices
9/2/2014 3:43:50 PM
9/2/2014 1:00:39 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Run Brun Fid
Posted: 12/10/2010 2:43:58 PM
The Story: Taken from a wacky website. Anyone think this is real?

"This information about hair has been hidden from the public since the Viet Nam War.

Our culture leads people to believe that hair style is a matter of personal preference, that hair style is a matter of fashion and/or convenience, and that how people wear their hair is simply a cosmetic issue. Back in the Viet Nam war however, an entirely different picture emerged, one that has been carefully covered up and hidden from public view.

In the early nineties, Sally [name changed to protect privacy] was married to a licensed psychologist who worked at a VA Medical hospital. He worked with combat veterans with PTSD, post traumatic stress disorder. Most of them had served in Viet Nam.

Sally said, " I remember clearly an evening when he came back to our apartment on Doctor's Circle carrying a thick official looking folder in his hands. Inside were hundreds of pages of certain studies commissioned by the government. He was in shock from the contents. What he read in those documents completely changed his life. From that moment on my conservative middle of the road husband grew his hair and beard and never cut them again. What is more, the VA Medical center let him do it, and other very conservative men in the staff followed his example. As I read the documents, I learned why. It seems that during the Viet Nam War special forces in the war department had sent undercover experts to comb American Indian Reservations looking for talented scouts, for tough young men trained to move stealthily through rough terrain. They were especially looking for men with outstanding, almost supernatural, tracking abilities. Before being approached, these carefully selected men were extensively documented as experts in tracking and survival.

With the usual enticements, the well proven smooth phrases used to enroll new recruits, some of these indian trackers were then enlisted. Once enlisted, an amazing thing happened. Whatever talents and skills they had possessed on the reservation seemed to mysteriously disappear, as recruit after recruit failed to perform as expected in the field.

Serious casualities and failures of performance led the government to contract expensive testing of these recruits, and this is what was found.

When questioned about their failure to perform as expected, the older recruits replied consistantly that when they received their required military haircuts, they could no longer 'sense' the enemy, they could no longer access a 'sixth sense' , their 'intuition' no longer was reliable, they couldn't 'read' subtle signs as well or access subtle extrasensory information.

So the testing institute recruited more indian trackers, let them keep their long hair, and tested them in multiple areas. Then they would pair two men together who had received the same scores on all the tests. They would let one man in the pair keep his hair long, and gave the other man a military haircut. Then the two men retook the tests.

Time after time the man with long hair kept making high scores. Time after time, the man with the short hair failed the tests in which he had previously scored high scores.

Here is a typical test:

The recruit is sleeping out in the woods. An armed 'enemy' approaches the sleeping man. The long haired man is awakened out of his sleep by a strong sense of danger and gets away long before the enemy is close, long before any sounds from the approaching enemy are audible.

In another version of this test the long haired man senses an approach and somehow intuits that the enemy will perform a physical attack. He follows his 'sixth sense' and stays still, pretending to be sleeping, but quickly grabs the attacker and 'kills' him as the attacker reaches down to strangle him.

This same man, after having passed these and other tests, then received a military haircut and consistantly failed these tests, and many other tests that he had previously passed.

So the document recommended that all Indian trackers be exempt from military haircuts. In fact, it required that trackers keep their hair long. "

Jarhead_22
Marinating in Hate
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 2:50:03 PM
Has Ron Reid-Daly weighed in on long hair/short hair for trackers?

Stories from unnamed American Indians and Vietnam veterans are interesting, but hardly conclusive. Reid-Daly is pretty much the god of tracking in the modern age.
Another man's sword is your sword.
- Yagyu Munenori
Katana16j
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 2:50:35 PM
Plausible, we didn't evolve with the practice of getting regular haircuts and there probably is some interplay with how our ears and noses interact with long hair nearby that is based on evolutionary need.
JBlitzen
.22lr Hater
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 2:50:59 PM
Be more impressive if they still had the document.
A liberal is someone who believes that subsidizing a company will keep it in business, while subsidizing unemployment will end it.
joker581
Cowboy Elvis
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 2:54:01 PM
If "retardedest" was a word, I'd say that that article is the retardedest thing I've ever read.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
DangerJ
Nut up or shut up
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 2:55:02 PM
Very interesting. I would think having long hair would interfere (as it does) with hearing.
"The only way to bring him into understanding is by putting the pain on him and understand that everybody understands pain."
Lhotse
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 2:55:15 PM
Ask yourself this - is your wife/girlfriend more aware of her surroundings or are you?

My wife, long hair and all, wouldn't notice if Bin Laden and zombie Hitler were running down the street at us with machetes while screaming "Death to America."

Myth.
tommytrauma
/1*\
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 2:55:21 PM
I now know why I can never get laid following manscaping.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
"Eventually, I managed to use the squirrel to break down the door..."
Rogue-Sasquatch
Akimbo Pixelslinger
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 2:57:09 PM
[Last Edit: 12/10/2010 2:58:12 PM by Rogue-Sasquatch]
I can see some deep, hard-wired subconscious and reflexive muscular responses contributing to this.

Human brain has deep-seated hardwiring to make hair 'stand on end' in response to certain frequencies and sound patterns (cracking brush, missing background noise in certain environments, dirt moving in recently-walked path, etc). Things that are inaudible to the conscious mind.

Hair moves very slightly due to the follicular reflexive response. Areas of neck, shoulder and wherever long hair would touch are hardwired to sense those tiny changes and trigger certain conscious responses.

We hear things without realizing it, reflexive response causes us to feel things without realizing it, instinctive response gives us a conscious response that seems like a "sixth sense".

I know I can feel the wind and air currents very finely in my beard when it's long, and my wife can do the same thing easily with her hair (she has like 4+ feet of hair).
You know, I've been here for aqua-bumpers, shower cookies, goose fuckers, doll shows, fire on airplanes, and the attempted theft of an AR by Shitty McBritches, and this post is the one that's finally made me say, "This place is getting weird." -53
JamesP81
Moody loner with a Jesus rifle
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 2:58:09 PM
Strange, but maybe not completely insane.

In my martial arts class, we used to do this interesting exercise where students would be lined up in a seated position, with their backs turned to the instructor. The instructor would toss a foam punching target to the right of a student he selected at random. The student's job was to knock the punching target out of the air as it passed by.

As you can imagine, it was epic fail when we first started. But some students, with sufficient practice, go to where they could reliably sense the approaching projectile. I don't know if their hearing became sensitive enough to hear vibrations in the air, or if their nerve endings in their skin could detect it, or what.

I don't remember if the best ones had long hair or not, though.
Member of the Thin CMD Line
pighelmet
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 2:59:24 PM
Does this testing include nose hairs?

If so, Tom Brown has nothing on me.
Mclovin5-0
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 2:59:49 PM
Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:

Stories from unnamed American Indians and Vietnam veterans are interesting, but hardly conclusive. Reid-Daly is pretty much the god of tracking in the modern age.

I believe he just passed away only a few months ago.
gmill
Run Brun Fid
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:00:45 PM
wastegate
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:02:43 PM
Proud member "Ranstad's Militia"
Jarhead08
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:02:48 PM
So does that mean that those Woodland Tribes that wore scalp locks and the like were fucked for not having long hair?
marksman121
FU whale, FU dolpheen!
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:03:36 PM
Do people really buy this kind of bullshit when they post it in GD like this?

I really hope not.
"It says......'You're shit out of luck. *BAM* 'ā€¯ - Harry Callahan
JamesP81
Moody loner with a Jesus rifle
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:04:28 PM

For some reason, when I saw this pic, I thought.......

(in a pirate voice) "I senses the landlubbers with me epic red beard.....arrrrrrr"

Member of the Thin CMD Line
kilowhiskey
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:05:03 PM

Ron Reid-Daly died back in August.

[NO TEXT]
Jarhead_22
Marinating in Hate
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:05:07 PM
[Last Edit: 12/10/2010 3:07:00 PM by Jarhead_22]
Originally Posted By Mclovin5-0:

I believe he just passed away only a few months ago.

Yes, so I heard. Regardless, I can't believe that this article and the unnamed study it references are the only places this phenomenon has ever been observed. No recognized tracking gurus were quoted or referenced. If a shaggy mane was this crucial to successful tracking, I'd think LtCol Reid-Daly would have noted it in one of his books.

I could be wrong, but it seems a little...odd. I've got Tom Brown's book on tracking at home. I'll have to see if I can dig it up and look for hairstyle tips.
- Yagyu Munenori
forker
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:06:25 PM
Originally Posted By pighelmet:
Does this testing include nose hairs?

If so, Tom Brown has nothing on me.

That's hilarious . . .
ZeroZero
Avenge me boys!
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:07:17 PM
Originally Posted By joker581:
If "retardedest" was a word, I'd say that that article is the retardedest thing I've ever read.

it is the most retardester article in all of retardia.
"That weapon will replace your tongue and you will learn to speak with it. Your poetry will now be written in blood."
tax_monster
I am a low speed, high drag operator
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:10:31 PM

It's not, but I'll allow it for this thread.
I believe that all politicians are born with a genetic flaw that compels them to meddle in the affairs of others.
gmill
Run Brun Fid
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:11:51 PM
Spade
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:13:05 PM
[Last Edit: 12/10/2010 3:15:01 PM by Spade]
Easily proven false:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-places/wolves.html

If Long Hair was required for trackers (especially Indians), the Shadow Wolves would have it down to their knees.
theliberating1
See, my mule don't like people laughin...
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:13:41 PM
[Last Edit: 12/10/2010 3:24:19 PM by theliberating1]
I've never seen such a steaming pile of bullshit in all of my life...

OlCrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:14:52 PM
- Proud Supporter - WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT

I miss the days when computers were difficult for stupid people to operate.
~Lumpy 9/25/2010
JBlitzen
.22lr Hater
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:18:13 PM
Originally Posted By Lhotse:
Ask yourself this - is your wife/girlfriend more aware of her surroundings or are you?

My wife, long hair and all, wouldn't notice if Bin Laden and zombie Hitler were running down the street at us with machetes while screaming "Death to America."

Myth.

That's hard to argue with.
A liberal is someone who believes that subsidizing a company will keep it in business, while subsidizing unemployment will end it.
DonS
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:18:16 PM

Who is this guy?

The best modern trackers that I know of are BP trakers, men like Jack Kearny.
KentuckyGunGuy
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:21:35 PM
maybe they were just bummed about losing their hair.....................emotions, effect how we act.
This Space was bought and paid for by therex, it in no way reflects the views of aforementioned .
Jarhead_22
Marinating in Hate
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:24:00 PM
Originally Posted By DonS:

Who is this guy?

The best modern trackers that I know of are BP trakers, men like Jack Kearny.

LtCol Ron Reid-Daly was the commanding officer of the Rhodesian Selous Scouts.

I just realized that the tracking god I had in mind all along was another hyphenated Rhodesian: David Scott-Donelan. My mistake.
- Yagyu Munenori
Steve_T_M
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:24:10 PM
Mystical mumbo jumbo

The average Indian I've known couldn't track his way out of a crowded bar.
Chaingun
Tuff shit...start chewing मन्
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:25:56 PM
Light sleeper and good hearing are two criteria

Otherwise the article is retardideditesttt
"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared so we may always be free." Ronald Reagan 1984
sam1chlt
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:33:09 PM

Wow, I didn't know that Lynch, from the game Kane, and Lynch Dead Men, was real, but that pic proves it.
Seansworth
Mastering the art of Kentucky Windage
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:35:38 PM

Yep

The 2nd prettiest thing I've ever seen is a pickup with a fresh coat of Oklahoma's finest red clay.
Gamma762
criticality accident
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:36:02 PM
[Last Edit: 12/10/2010 3:36:25 PM by Gamma762]
If there was an effect I'd say it was likely a psychological one.

The whole point of the military recruit haircuts is as part of the process of depersonalization... part of a process of psychologically scrubbing the recruit in order to be reconstituted to fit a different mold. The fact that they have lost some of their previous personalized skills or characteristics is entirely believable from a psychological perspective as that's what the process is designed and intended to do.
This is...a clue. - Pat_Rogers
CO, FL, MI, SC, NH, NV - Please lobby your legislators to end discrimination against non-resident CCW permit holders
LazarusLong
Stroke of the pen, law of the land... Kinda cool
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:38:21 PM
This is such a load of bullshit
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
cwebbcam
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:40:14 PM
I could believe that shaving your head after having it long your whole life could throw you off your game. Doesn't mean the hair helped, don't change part of the equation and act shocked that things play out different.

Butt secks is a lot like spinach. If you're forced to have it as a kid, you're not gonna enjoy it as an adult.-PantherArms762
KN
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:40:33 PM
Maybe these guys knew something we didnt?

USMCRONIN
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:42:13 PM
BS.
Rogue-Sasquatch
Akimbo Pixelslinger
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:47:49 PM
Originally Posted By KN:

http://www.militaryartgallery.com/images_3_b/b_founding_fathers.jpg

That's it, we're gonna have to make it law in the Constitution that all presidents and legislators must wear a powdered wig during the performance of their duties.
You know, I've been here for aqua-bumpers, shower cookies, goose fuckers, doll shows, fire on airplanes, and the attempted theft of an AR by Shitty McBritches, and this post is the one that's finally made me say, "This place is getting weird." -53
Beachjumper12
CPO (Ret.) '69-'95
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:55:35 PM
[Last Edit: 12/10/2010 3:57:34 PM by Beachjumper12]
As someone who worked closely with "trackers" during and post-Vietnam, this is complete unmitigated garbage.

Certain operational personnel assumed local customs and appearances to ease tensions and comfort those "natives" intruded upon, then later to adopt standard grooming habits once trust is established.

Long hair Voodoo magic assists tracking?

BULLSHIT.
Texas is CLOSED. If you jump the fence we'll kill you and eat you, and not necessarily in that order.
http://www.specialops.org/
http://www.beachjumpers.com/
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
wildearp
Simple solutions to complex problems...
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:59:45 PM
licensed psychologist who worked at a VA Medical hospital

So.................was the fucking doctor a tracker?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room!
Semper Fi, do or die!
NRA Life Member
SASS Life Member
KN
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 4:00:07 PM
[Last Edit: 12/10/2010 4:01:23 PM by KN]
Originally Posted By Rogue-Sasquatch:
Originally Posted By KN:

http://www.militaryartgallery.com/images_3_b/b_founding_fathers.jpg

That's it, we're gonna have to make it law in the Constitution that all presidents and legislators must wear a powdered wig during the performance of their duties.

I dont know about the others but Washington did not wear a wig. He did powder his hair though. It was the fashion of the time.
LibertyShip
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 4:02:10 PM
Best guy I knew at snooping out booby traps had a flat top and black frame glasses. Looked kinda like Drew Carey.
WayneD
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 4:04:23 PM

That's the first thing I thought about too.
"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."
phatmax
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 4:04:38 PM
[Last Edit: 12/10/2010 4:05:09 PM by phatmax]
Here is where I knew it was BULLSHIT:

What he read in those documents completely changed his life. From that moment on my conservative middle of the road husband grew his hair and beard and never cut them again. What is more, the VA Medical center let him do it, and other very conservative men in the staff followed his example

So why the FUCK would a VA doc grow his hair out because "trackers" needed it? For "tracking down medical records"? Using the word "conservative" mulitple times to show that even a "stodgey anti-hippie figured out that long hair was OK"?

In Memory of Mishi. 08/13/10
Seraph
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 4:04:55 PM
Horse shit.
We seem to repeat this thread, again, and again. We should give the whole argument a name, like Alouicious. Then, next time it seems pertinent, instead of doing an 8 page thread, we can just say, "Alouicious, and all that."
phatmax
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 4:05:48 PM
Originally Posted By Seraph:
Horse shit.

Makes it easy to track Cavalry.
In Memory of Mishi. 08/13/10
blackdogremi
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 4:05:52 PM
[Last Edit: 12/10/2010 4:07:59 PM by blackdogremi]
it is the same reason why blood hounds are bred with long draping ears. the ears help consolidate the smells.
how many times have you smelled fire before you saw it
KJCA3
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 4:10:18 PM

Pretty much what he said
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ 2. The American GI, One died for your soul, the other for your freedom".
gmill
Run Brun Fid
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2010 4:11:56 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2