Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2010 10:19:46 AM EDT
Neighbor from a couple of doors down and I were talking about these unemployment checks.
He asked some questions I didn't know answers to so I thought I'm come to the All Knowing ARF Fount of Knowledge and ask.

Background: Male. 56yrs old.
He is an involuntary retiree from a local company.
They walked in on him one day and said you are now retired.
He had to sign some kind of paperwork saying he would not apply for unemployment.
He receives a small pension(approx ~ $500 per month).
Been out of work for 1+year now.
Can not find a job.

Can a retiree get unemployment?
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#1]
The Chicago Police Officer are successfully collecting due to being forced out at a mandatory age limit.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
He had to sign some kind of paperwork saying he would not apply for unemployment.

Hopefully he has a copy of it.  He needs to check with his state's Department of Labor to see if this is even legal.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Neighbor from a couple of doors down and I were talking about these unemployment checks.
He asked some questions I didn't know answers to so I thought I'm come to the All Knowing ARF Fount of Knowledge and ask.

He had to sign some kind of paperwork saying he would not apply for unemployment.He receives a small pension(approx ~ $500 per month).
Can not find a job.

He NEVER should have signed such a thing. What were they gonna do if he didn't? Fire him?

Link Posted: 12/7/2010 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Can not find a job.

I think the fact he waited a year will make it a no-go.

I was laid off when my employment sector cratered (home construction) but I figured I  would find a new job shortly (being a top performer for my previous employers) and after a year of "Thanks for your resume but we aren't hiring - we are firing left and right to try and keep alive" I figured I might actually need some assistance.  Sorry Charlie.  If you don't file within 6 months (in TX at least) you don't qualify so I was told "Thank You for trying to look for employment and paying your own bills from your own reserves.  For doing that, you will not receive any .Gov assistance"  

Got to love the .GOV when it comes to helping the "working man" (which I was for 30 years) when he needs some help getting back to work.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can not find a job.

I think the fact he waited a year will make it a no-go.

I was laid off when my employment sector cratered (home construction) but I figured I  would find a new job shortly (being a top performer for my previous employers) and after a year of "Thanks for your resume but we aren't hiring - we are firing left and right to try and keep alive" I figured I might actually need some assistance.  Sorry Charlie.  If you don't file within 6 months (in TX at least) you don't qualify so I was told "Thank You for trying to look for employment and paying your own bills from your own reserves.  For doing that, you will not receive any .Gov assistance"  

Got to love the .GOV when it comes to helping the "working man" (which I was for 30 years) when he needs some help getting back to work.

This... You can just wait a year or two and then expect to collect UE...
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#8]
He can probably appeal it to whatever labor board or unemployment commission you have in your state.  Doubt he'll get anything as he's receiving a pension.  In my state, accepting any retirement funds disqualifies you from receiving unemployment payments.  I think if he can stop receiving the pension, and the state labor board finds his termination to be without cause, he may be able to collect unemployment until he finds work.

Link Posted: 12/7/2010 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#9]
So he has to go back to work for at least 26 weeks to become eligible for UE?
So if he got laid off after that he could collect?

I told him he wasn't eligible for benefits because he receives a pension.
Would this still be the case even after he went back to work and laid off?
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully he has a copy of it.  He needs to check with his state's Department of Labor to see if this is even legal.

sounds, looks and smells like BS from there as well..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top