Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2010 5:31:46 PM EDT
What if you take some damage to your off hand?  And can't grip the slide to rack it?

Best way to do a reload one handed?

I realize that if you empty a mag, the slide should be locked back, and all you have to do is hit the slide release.

But, one handed? Dropping the empty is easy. What about getting your spare and popping it in?

Or, how about clearing a FTE? One handed?
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Put handgun backwards into the holster. insert mag.
Just one of many ways to do this
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Rear sight on heel of shoe.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#3]
To rack, put the area near the front sight on the edge of the holster, heel of shoe, table edge, curb edge, or similar, and push down.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Put top of slide against anything that won't move and push forward
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Put handgun backwards into the holster. insert mag.
Just one of many ways to do this

The Crabman speaks the truth!
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I was taught to use the front sight-catch it on the edge of something (holster,tabel,etc) to run the slide one handed.Of course that only works if you have a sight that has enough of an edge.

As far as changing mags,I also learned to rejolster the weapon to change mags one handed.I practice this a lot,as well as with the weak end.

Murphys a bitch-prepare for the worst case..........
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Rear sight on heel of shoe/boot, belt (if it's stiff enough), or pouch/holster on your belt. As far as inserting the mag, all I do is put it between my knees if I'm practicing lefty only, or in the holster if I'm doing righty only.

Now what makes it interesting is when you practice like you HAVE to hold your injured arm with your non-injured hand. Really happened to me (not a gunfight, but when I got shot there was no way I was letting go of my right arm as it was entirely shattered right above the elbow joint and basically no bone support at all), so I'm trying to figure out a good way to deal with something like that. Only way I can think of is to rest it on something and try to jostle it as little as possible because it hurts like a bitch when you move it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Plate Carrier or knee pads too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#10]

drop mag

kneel down with gun held by back of knee between thigh and calf  insert mag

found this to be much faster than using the holster especailly IWB or other that are some what hard to reholster

rear sight or front site against shoe or really anything  and push

edit LOL I spelled kneel wrong

Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What if you take some damage to your off hand? And can't grip the slide to rack it?

Best way to do a reload one handed?

I realize that if you empty a mag, the slide should be locked back, and all you have to do is hit the slide release.

But, one handed? Dropping the empty is easy. What about getting your spare and popping it in?

Or, how about clearing a FTE? One handed?

With the slide forward, USGI 1911 (and similar) sights would allow you to hook the rear sight on the heel of your boot, push the pistol down, and then chamber a round. Table edges or other 90o angles would work too.

If it's slide back, just clamp the pistol between your knees/elbow and chest/armpit/whatever is available, insert a fresh mag and then get back to work.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Hit the mag release. Drop to the kneeling position. Wedge the handgun between your calf and thigh. Insert new mag and grab the handgun by the grip. Place the front sight (without sweeping yourself) on the back of your heel and push forward to release the slide*. Resume shooting.

*This part can be done for FTE as well.

Or you can place it back in your holster for a simple reload.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Put slide in mouth of handy pit bull.

Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Put pistol in holster, swap mags.

Take pistol out of holster.

Point the pistol away from you upside down, force sites over belt/buckle and push down.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#16]
If you use a locking holster just holster it and rack the slide after putting in new mag. Then draw and shoot.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

this is how I do it too.
I pinch the gun in between my knees to insert a mag.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#21]

No way....

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Multiple ways, rear sight on a hard object or put grip tape on the top of the slide so you can use your clothes.

Take a training class and they'll teach you how a bunch of different ways if they're worth anything.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
To rack, put the area near the front sight on the edge of the holster, heel of shoe, table edge, curb edge, or similar, and push down.

You can even use your pants, although it will leave fun scratches.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I can rack a 1911 (and most handguns) with one hand - not using a table or belt or anything, but freehand. An MP showed me how with a SIG210 back in the army years ago. It's not that hard, but you've got to practice it.

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=1277

(If you're in a hurry, it can be done without cocking the hammer first, but it a little harder - depending on the strength of the spring).

You know I have to go home and try that now right?

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:25:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can rack a 1911 (and most handguns) with one hand - not using a table or belt or anything, but freehand. An MP showed me how with a SIG210 back in the army years ago. It's not that hard, but you've got to practice it.

(If you're in a hurry, it can be done without cocking the hammer first, but it a little harder - depending on the strength of the spring).

You know I have to go home and try that now right?

You probably won't be the only one.

Be sure to use snap caps, please.

I've done it with a Beretta 92FS (M9). No biggie.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#29]
There are multiple ways, off of your shoe, off the leg of your pants, side of a car, off of the ground. The belt method and off of the pocket are the most common.

There is a scene in Beverly Hills Cop 2 where Eddie Murphy is shot in the hand, he does a one handed reload with the Browning HP. I wonder how many takes it took to get that scene down. IIRC it was near the end in the Mansion shoot out scene.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#31]
I pinch it between my knees.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Wonder what weight spring he has....

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Wonder what weight spring he has....

There was a "discussion" about it when the video was first posted. People said they had done it with stock springs.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

drop mag
kneel down with gun held by back of knee between thigh and calf  insert mag
found this to be much faster than using the holster especailly IWB or other that are some what hard to reholster
rear sight or front site against shoe or really anything  and push

edit LOL I spelled kneel wrong

Yup. Works slick. Keeps me down and behind cover.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I can rack a 1911 (and most handguns) with one hand - not using a table or belt or anything, but freehand.  An MP showed me how with a SIG210 back in the army years ago.  It's not that hard, but you've got to practice it.

I can do that with my Glocks while uninjured.  Not my preferred way should I need it in a pinch though, as the weapon could easily get dropped due to adrenaline, being slippery with my blood, etc.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can even use your pants, although it will leave fun scratches.

I'm wearing pants right now with abrasions on both thighs from that. One-handed reaction side double feed malfunctions are miserable to practice but may save your life.

Have also done the double knee pinch, knee/calf, holster, belt methods just to keep options open & ingrain the idea of keeping the gun running.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Boot or belt.  Those are the best ways.  Just have to watch your muzzle AND your trigger finger.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#38]

That could ruin your pants.  Of course if you need to do it, your pants are probably already ruined at that point.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top