Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/17/2010 5:40:49 PM EDT
Title says it.  Not for sale.  Internet sources are conflicting so I dont know.    To distill a small amount to drink, not fuel  nor barter nor to render hookers unconscious is it legal?

I know you can make wine and beer so it stands to reason distilling spirits SHOULD be fine.  

Legal?

SSS?
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, not one drop..
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope not legal,go straight to PYITA prison.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on your state's blue laws. Yes blue laws. Fucking blue laws.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I would. But... I ... um... don't... own.. a still!

If you make some, I would buy it!
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Remember the 11th commandment, and keep it, wholly.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Its federal.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#7]
According to this, there's an underground association of distillers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXcalGrgjM8
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I've always heard it was legal, as long as you weren't selling it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No its a federal law.  Not one drop for any reason.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#10]
the guy on the history channel show last night made a still and made some moonshine, they never put up a disclaimer or anything (THAT I SAW) i bet alot of ppl watched and are like WOOHOO gonna make me a still!

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Its only illegal if you get caught.......

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Nope - totally illegal to distill in the USA without a tax stamp.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#13]
It's only illegal if you get caught.

There are some very good resources on the web, I would google bokabob and move on from there.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
the guy on the history channel show last night made a still and made some moonshine, they never put up a disclaimer or anything (THAT I SAW) i bet alot of ppl watched and are like WOOHOO gonna make me a still!  

Yup, always thought it illegal.  This had me wondering.

I would never advocate violating the law but I would be lying if I said I never considered it.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Homebrew beer isn't.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, I saw that, too. Excellent video for evidence if they decide to give him shit. Seems kind of foolish to break the law on camera like that, assuming the info is correct (and it's been overwhelming so far in the various threads on the subject.)

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I think you can only make beer and wine.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#19]
No.  Not legal.

Can someone tack this already
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#20]

From what I've seen on TV, it appears to be legal in South Korea.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#21]
No, it is illegal, regardless of whether you intend to sell it or if it is for personal consumption only.  It is not illegal for safety reasons, it is illegal for fucking tax reasons.  If you look at what is actually required to distill legally, a bunch of the regulations are geared towards knowing exactly how much ethanol you have produced so that taxes can be set accordingly.  I bet you could find a (non internet type) link on this that goes all the way back to the Whiskey Rebellion.  

Now, I'm not opposed to regulations that say "hey, your still had better be safe enough so that it doesn't blow up your neighbor's house," but as it is now, it really is ridiculous.  That being said, if it truly is only for personal consumption, you are a lot less likely to get busted than if you are selling the stuff.  They are less likely to notice and if they do, more likely to not want to deal with the paperwork over a couple of gallons.  But still, if you do it, you are doing it at your own risk.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thread/
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#24]
so how'd the guy on history channel skirt around the law?
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its federal.

Some states have laws as well. In Florida it is a misdemeanor to possess up to a gallon of homemade liquor, over one gallon is a felony. They also have several laws regarding transporting, selling, and possessing "untaxed" liquor as well.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Will someone please post the relevant "federal" law regarding the making of liquor for personal use?
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#27]
ethanol permit
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Will someone please post the relevant "federal" law regarding the making of liquor for personal use?

This was posted in another thread on the subject in the SF:
"From US Code: TITLE 26 > Subtitle E > CHAPTER 51 > Subchapter J > PART I > § 5601

§ 5601. Criminal penalties

(a) Offenses Any person who—

(1) Unregistered stills
has in his possession or custody, or under his control, any still or distilling apparatus set up which is not registered, as required by section 5179 (a)"

Apparently the actual physical still itself is kinda like an NFA item.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#29]
After watching the guy make some last night I so want to make a still and barrel some and age it for personal use. I just want to see if I can do it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Federal Alcohol Administration Act (FAA Act), 27 U.S.C. § 203, requires a

basic permit in order to engage in the business of importing into the United States,

distilled spirits, wine or malt beverages. Likewise, a basic permit is required to engage in

the business of distilling distilled spirits or producing wine. Finally, a basic permit is

required for persons who engage in the business of purchasing for resale at wholesale

distilled spirits, wine or malt beverages. 27 U.S.C. § 203. Retailers are not required to

obtain basic permits under the FAA Act. The FAA Act provides that basic permits are

conditioned upon, among other things, compliance with the Twenty-first Amendment and

other Federal laws relating to its enforcement.

27 U.S.C. § 204(d).

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/qb/2000/atf-quarterly-bulletin-2000-volume-2-bureau-rulings.pdf

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure if it's the right thing.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/26/5601.shtml
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#33]
http://www.ttb.gov/faqs/genalcohol.shtml

My dad's family was "in the business" 50 years ago. Didn't turn out well.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

basic permit in order to engage in the business of importing into the United States,
distilled spirits, wine or malt beverages. Likewise, a basic permit is required to engage in
the business of distilling distilled spirits or producing wine. Finally, a basic permit is
required for persons who engage in the business of purchasing for resale at wholesale
distilled spirits, wine or malt beverages. 27 U.S.C. § 203. Retailers are not required to
obtain basic permits under the FAA Act. The FAA Act provides that basic permits are
conditioned upon, among other things, compliance with the Twenty-first Amendment and
27 U.S.C. § 204(d).

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/qb/2000/atf-quarterly-bulletin-2000-volume-2-bureau-rulings.pdf

The part I found referred to other parts (who knows what's in that), but this one refers to "business of"....

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

27 U.S.C. § 204(d).

What if you're not setting about The Business? But instead perhaps The Hobby?

Sort of like selling firearms to enhance your collection... as a collector, not as a gun dealer.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Popcorn Sutton was the last true old school moonshiners. You can watch all the videos on youtube. RIP good sir.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Popcorn Sutton was the last true old school moonshiners. You can watch all the videos on youtube. RIP good sir.

He was truly a man among men.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#38]
You can supposedly get a personal use permit to make fuel alcohol for your own use without having to denature it.

The permit is for very small scale distillation only, and the output cannot be drank.

I do not know any details, this is just something I read.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Question is whether they consider building a still to be like building a DIAS...

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Imagine getting caught with moonshine, an unregistered machine gun and a carton of untaxed cigarettes.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#41]
good going federal government.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Imagine getting caught with moonshine, an unregistered machine gun and a carton of untaxed cigarettes.

Ever been to rural Kentucky?

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Question is whether they consider building a still to be like building a DIAS...

There are legitimate uses for a still.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Not sure about moonshine but you can make 100 gallons of wine per person, per house hold, up to 200 gallons a year for personal use. I started making some earlier this year. Ive made about 15 gallons so far.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I have family in academia studying distillation ... they agree with the folks here saying that you cannot distill for personal use.  So buy the legal stuff if you want to stay on the right side of the law.

I know it's not the real thing (and apparently it is FAR lower quality than the real McCoy), but I just got these:

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are legitimate uses for a still.

Like Chris Rock said, "There's a reason to kick an old man down a flight of stairs...just don't do it."
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Title says it.  Not for sale.  Internet sources are conflicting so I dont know.    To distill a small amount to drink, not fuel  nor barter nor to render hookers unconscious is it legal?

Who gives a shit any more.  So many stupid laws just do it and keep mum.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

You'd probably wish you woulda killed someone instead.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have family in academia studying distillation ... they agree with the folks here saying that you cannot distill for personal use.  So buy the legal stuff if you want to stay on the right side of the law.

I know it's not the real thing (and apparently it is FAR lower quality than the real McCoy), but I just got these:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/stockshift/2010%20Smoky%20Mountain%20National%20Park%20TN/Day4-TSAInspectedMoonshine3Large.jpg

Shine with labels?
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Homebrew beer isn't.

Well that just makes everything better now doesn't it.

I sure am glad the federal government lets me brew beer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top