Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/9/2010 2:05:44 PM EDT
When I bought my first VW diesel car in 2002, diesel was just $1.35/gallon, I paid up to $4.78/gallon at the peak of the bubble.  With a few exceptions this past year, diesel always seems to be 10-40 cents higher than regular gasoline, although sometimes its between regular and premium.  Everything I've read says that diesel is easier to manufacture and does not require as much refining as gasoline and it yields much greater efficiency.  Add to that the already efficient infrastructure to distribute diesel with semis, trains and ships needing huge quantities of diesel fuel.  I didn't notice a spike in the price of diesel when low sulphur diesel became mandatory and I was running biodiesel from the pump for a while that was cheaper than regular pump diesel when prices were $4+/gallon.  My new VW diesel gets 42-45 mpg but it still kills me to see diesel going higher and higher when compared to gasoline.

People have told me that it's the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and the demand for the war machine that raises the price, others tell me that it's the states and their taxes on diesel or that the government subsidies on E85 gasoline make it just seem cheaper.  It makes me wonder why the price of diesel always seems to be higher than gasoline?

Anyone got the answer?  Should diesel be cheaper than gasoline all things being equal?
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Taxes
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#2]
anything business related is always higher
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Because our elected leaders are taxing the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm guessing taxes or regulations because back in the 90s diesel was cheaper than gas.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems like diesel began to consistently cost more than gas about the time ULSD was phased in. Maybe it's the ULSD.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Seems like diesel began to consistently cost more than gas about the time ULSD was phased in. Maybe it's the ULSD.

I believe this is the reason. Price jumped when they mandated the Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Tractor trailers burn diesel, so the government taxes the fuck out of it.

The weakened dollar doesn't help, but that raises the price of gasoline right along with diesel.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When I bought my first VW diesel car in 2002, diesel was just $1.35/gallon, I paid up to $4.78/gallon at the peak of the bubble.  With a few exceptions this past year, diesel always seems to be 10-40 cents higher than regular gasoline, although sometimes its between regular and premium.  Everything I've read says that diesel is easier to manufacture and does not require as much refining as gasoline and it yields much greater efficiency.  Add to that the already efficient infrastructure to distribute diesel with semis, trains and ships needing huge quantities of diesel fuel.  I didn't notice a spike in the price of diesel when low sulphur diesel became mandatory and I was running biodiesel from the pump for a while that was cheaper than regular pump diesel when prices were $4+/gallon.  My new VW diesel gets 42-45 mpg but it still kills me to see diesel going higher and higher when compared to gasoline.

People have told me that it's the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and the demand for the war machine that raises the price, others tell me that it's the states and their taxes on diesel or that the government subsidies on E85 gasoline make it just seem cheaper.  It makes me wonder why the price of diesel always seems to be higher than gasoline?

Anyone got the answer?  Should diesel be cheaper than gasoline all things being equal?

Primary reason is there is less of it per barrel of crude. Secondary is that much more is being used now -vs- mid 1980's.

ETA: The ULS mandate has added to the price, but diesel surpassed gasoline in price a long time ago.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Because it is better.  

What do you expect for GD?
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#10]

global economy, global demand -

http://www.biodieselathome.net/Diesel_Fuel_Prices/
"a lot of people are now wondering why diesel fuel costs higher than gasoline. The primary reason is the increasing global demand. ...More than 50 percent of new registrations for 2007 were diesel-consuming vehicles. In India, the same trend applies: the numbers of new vehicles sold have doubled in five years, and 30 percent of which is diesel-powered. This percentage is projected to reach 50 percent by 2010. In China, the increasing demand for diesel fuel is in direct proportion with its economy.

http://www.dieselserviceandsupply.com/Diesel_Fuel_Prices.aspx
"Refineries in the US have been operating at 90% of their production capacity for more than a decade. Tight worldwide refining capacity and competing international demand for refined distillates affect the price of diesel fuel in the US...."
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#11]
What is your fuel efficiency.  It should be a lot higher than any gasoline counterparts.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Primary reason is there is less of it per barrel of crude. Secondary is that much more is being used now -vs- mid 1980's. http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/energyexplained/images/charts/products_from_barrel_crude_oil-small.gif

ETA: The ULS mandate has added to the price, but diesel surpassed gasoline in price a long time ago.

Um, no.
That is what we do with it, not what "naturally" is more or less.  Diesel was an easier refining process than gasoline until ULSD kicked in.
Shit, the difference between kerosine Jet-A and diesel is practically nothing.
To answer the question, taxes and ULSD

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#13]
supply and demand?
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

"a lot of people are now wondering why diesel fuel costs higher than gasoline. The primary reason is the increasing global demand. ...More than 50 percent of new registrations for 2007 were diesel-consuming vehicles. In India, the same trend applies: the numbers of new vehicles sold have doubled in five years, and 30 percent of which is diesel-powered. This percentage is projected to reach 50 percent by 2010. In China, the increasing demand for diesel fuel is in direct proportion with its economy.

"Refineries in the US have been operating at 90% of their production capacity for more than a decade. Tight worldwide refining capacity and competing international demand for refined distillates affect the price of diesel fuel in the US...."

Gonna have to call you out on the last quote there. I do cold air projects for refineries, and you can tell by how much air the crackers consume what they're running at. Rarely do they run at 90%. They run in constant flux dictated by market price. The local Marathon refinery just put in a new ULS unit and they barely run it.

Same thing goes on with the drillers. Many a time I have seen a crew get sent back to the shack because "that rig ain't runing today".
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#15]
It's because every refinery had to spend multiple millions upgrading or building in their refineries to meet the ULSD regulations. They of course pass the costs to the buyers.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Primary reason is there is less of it per barrel of crude. Secondary is that much more is being used now -vs- mid 1980's. http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/energyexplained/images/charts/products_from_barrel_crude_oil-small.gif

Um, no.
That is what we do with it, not what "naturally" is more or less.  Diesel was an easier refining process than gasoline until ULSD kicked in.

Uh yeah. I work in the industry.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#17]
How about the fact the primary user of gasoline is the every day citizen. They get pissed off about 5 cent raises in gas.

Diesel on the other hand is used by business (truckers etc). They can raise this higher, the companies pay, then pass the cost onto the consumer. (Every day citizens) Then there's taxes......
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gonna have to call you out on the last quote there. I do cold air projects for refineries, and you can tell by how much air the crackers consume what they're running at. Rarely do they run at 90%. They run in constant flux dictated by market price. The local Marathon refinery just put in a new ULS unit and they barely run it.

Same thing goes on with the drillers. Many a time I have seen a crew get sent back to the shack because "that rig ain't runing today".

Your experience, maybe.   But the DOE confirms US refinery capacity utilization rate of 88% on average so far this year.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pnp_unc_dcu_nus_m.htm

Similar rates on the DOE site going back 10 years (historical link is at the DOE page above).
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I remember $.17   diesel & $.24 gas.
About the only diesel contraptions were Semi's & farm equipment.

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um, no.

Uh yeah. I work in the industry.

As a petro-chemical engineer?
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#21]
laws of supply anf demand.
it's as simple as that.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
it's as simple as that.

Not quite.
Kerosine and Jet-A are the same thing (minus dye), yet their cost is different.

Minor trivia.  the "K" in KC-130, KC-135 and KC-10 is for Kerosine.
Diesel is pretty much the same thing as well.  
The difference is taxes and refining cost for the ULSD.
It is government manipulation to account for the deltas.
Diesel is an easier cut for baseline refining.  Less cracking.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
it's as simple as that.

Whew, thanks.......for a second I thought taxes had something to do with it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The Ol' Crew Chief

How freakin old are you?
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I work in an oil refinery.  It's all about supply and demand and government regulations.  

1 - Supply & demand - Europe & the rest of the world now uses much more diesel than they did before (demand has gone up).  Some say diesel demand is growing at twice the rate of gasoline - Diesel Demand

2 - Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel - Thanks to our wonderful politicians and our bureaucratic EPA which has required oil refineries to remove more sulphur from diesel fuel. It is very expensive to remove sulphur out of motor fuels.  It involves hydrogen and a lot of expensive process equipment and catalyst.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
it's as simple as that.

I guess even the stupid is bigger in Texas.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Ol' Crew Chief

How freakin old are you?

That's when people made $0.50 an hour...

Gasoline is more affordable now than it was in the 1960's.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um, no.

so government and government? That is the answer to all things priced high and why.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

so government and government? That is the answer to all things priced high and why.

Taxes and regulation.  Everything from gas to HFCS.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 11:44:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um, no.

The answer to that question depends on who's in office.
Right now there's a democrat in office so its all of their fault in the eyes of a republican.

When a republican's in office, it's then called capitalism to a republican.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#31]
China
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um, no.

The answer to that question depends on who's in office.
Right now there's a democrat in office so its all of their fault in the eyes of a republican.

When a republican's in office, it's then called capitalism to a republican.

Bullshit!

Over the top environmental regulation and taxes are always part of the problem when you talk about fuel prices.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 6:07:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um, no.

no.
the question is why diesel is now more expensive than regular gasoline when it used to be the opposite.
organic engineering didn't change.  government regulations did.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 6:11:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Part of it is due to the fact that a barrel  of oil will yield more gallons of gasoline than diesel. Diesel contains more energy per gallon than gasoline - and there is only so much energy content in a barrel of oil. More gallons of fuel per barrel = cheaper cost per gallon of fuel*

*Assuming the refining costs, distribution costs, taxes, etc. are similar for both fuels
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 6:22:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Part of it is due to the fact that a barrel  of oil will yield more gallons of gasoline than diesel. Diesel contains more energy per gallon than gasoline - and there is only so much energy content in a barrel of oil. More gallons of fuel per barrel = cheaper cost per gallon of fuel*

*Assuming the refining costs, distribution costs, taxes, etc. are similar for both fuels

no, most crude has to be broken down (cracked) to yield enough gasoline.
diesel is the easier refining process (at least used to be)
but refining is a small part of the cost and refineries are set up for a specific yield.  changing that yield (ULSD) can be expensive.
fact is diesel used to be cheaper, and now it costs more.
guess we found the god particle.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 6:45:45 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Ol' Crew Chief

How freakin old are you?

Damn, how old does he need to be?  I'm 54 and I remember $.24 a gallon gas.  I remember Shell 101 octane super for $.32 a gallon.  I wasn't driving then, but I remember it.  I was 10 years old when my Dad bought a 67 390 Mustang and it had 10.5 to 1 compression ratio, the owners manual called for 99+ octane gas and he used to fill it at the local Shell station.  I remember filling my first street motorcycle at age 13 and paying $.33 for a gallon of 97 octane regular.  I also remember one trip with my Dad in the Mustang when he had to fill up in the Big Bear mountain area, he bitched to high heaven about having to pay $.55 a gallon.  

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Gasoline used to be a waste byproduct of refining diesel and kerosene.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#38]
I dont know....but I have a dumbass BIL who thinks diesel is more expensive because people on the east cost use it to heat their homes and it makes it cost more
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 6:49:01 AM EDT
[#39]
I get a weekly pricing summary from the DOE...  it's interesting to watch the changes.

You can sign up here:    http://www.eia.gov/oog/info/wohdp/diesel.asp
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 6:50:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Because it is better.  

What do you expect for GD?

This.   My next ride will be a TDI
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 6:51:00 AM EDT
[#41]
My wild guess is the demand for diesel is inelastic. I'd wager aggregate demand for gasoline can change with price but trucks and other diesel powered motors don't change their patterns much.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The Ol' Crew Chief

How freakin old are you?

Damn, how old does he need to be?  I'm 54 and I remember $.24 a gallon gas.  I remember Shell 101 octane super for $.32 a gallon.  I wasn't driving then, but I remember it.  I was 10 years old when my Dad bought a 67 390 Mustang and it had 10.5 to 1 compression ratio, the owners manual called for 99+ octane gas and he used to fill it at the local Shell station.  I remember filling my first street motorcycle at age 13 and paying $.33 for a gallon of 97 octane regular.  I also remember one trip with my Dad in the Mustang when he had to fill up in the Big Bear mountain area, he bitched to high heaven about having to pay $.55 a gallon.  

Yup, I was pumping gas during the "Gas shortage" you know, when everyone was lined up and stations were running out. Funny thing was we were getting the same shipments but the imaginary shortage became self fulfilling.

Diesel is going up because in the US diesel is bad. The new epa regs have pretty much eliminated the inherent advantage over gas.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:05:01 AM EDT
[#43]
It was not always this way.

I remember 15 cent diesel and 24 cent gasoline.

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I work in an oil refinery.  It's all about supply and demand and government regulations.  

1 - Supply & demand - Europe & the rest of the world now uses much more diesel than they did before (demand has gone up).  Some say diesel demand is growing at twice the rate of gasoline - Diesel Demand

2 - Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel - Thanks to our wonderful politicians and our bureaucratic EPA which has required oil refineries to remove more sulphur from diesel fuel. It is very expensive to remove sulphur out of motor fuels.  It involves hydrogen and a lot of expensive process equipment and catalyst.

This is correct. The US could not sell the old diesel mix to Europe. ULSD allowed US companies to sell the product in Europe. Bigger market. Demand is higher. So is the price.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:20:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is correct. The US could not sell the old diesel mix to Europe. ULSD allowed US companies to sell the product in Europe. Bigger market. Demand is higher. So is the price.

I learned something today...thanks very much.

And, of course, fucked again by government.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#47]
IT'S ALWAYS TAXES!!!!!

Here in Colorado (taxes as of 2009):

Gasoline                        Diesel
Federal          .184                               .224
State              .205                               .22

Total               .389                              .444        
per gal

Diesel is taxed .054 more per gal.

Fuel prices  Gasoline                        Diesel
per gal           2.58                               2.96
(87 oct)

Diesel is priced  .38 higher per gallon.

So you can see plain as day, if they lowered the diesel taxes to what gas is taxed at, diesel would be MUCH cheaper than gas per gallon!!!!

(I proudly use an Arfcom logic calculator for my math)
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#48]
One of the reasons I bought my powerstroke in 2003 was the fact that at the time, diesel was ~40 cents cheaper than gas. 6 months later, that was no longer true. :/
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:28:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Because non producers will always have their chubby little hands in the pockets of producers. That's why.

Only some diesel is more expensive. Explaing how contractors get diesel cheaper would be a violation of coc and make SOS cops froth at the mouth.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top