BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I wish I could remeber the name of this toy, but it was cool -

It was a (humanoid) plastic "robot" probably 18+ - 24" tall, one fist was spring loaded and could shoot off, and had two spring loaded missles in the middle of it's chest - yes, this had the ultimate rapid erect nipples.

IIRC, it had wheels on the bottom of it's feet, and was generally yellow with blue and black on it.

Figure early eighties or so.

I think there were two more in the series, with different flying off bits.

Anyone have any idea what it was called?

ETA:

Found it!

http://weirdscifi.ratiosemper.com/shogun/gaiking.html

I forgot that it had spare ammo for the nip, er... chest rockets on it's shoulders.

I still have mine!  Raiden, Mazinga, Gaiking, Daimos, Dragun and Godzilla. (sp on all those). I have the weapons for most. I saved my nickles and got one on my own and the rest showed up for Xmas. It was awesome! Must have been around 1980 or so.

Here is a pic of the net.

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#2]
My brother had the VF-1 shaped Jetfire Transformer, wish he still had it.

I had all kinds of toys as a kid, but when I discovered Lego, that is all I wanted. I did have a GI Joe phase, had the A-10 looking thing with 3 engines.

There used to be this really cool line of cap guns, that looked exactly like real guns, had copies of real life pistols rifles and sub guns. My brother got the Tec-9 copy. They took caps in linear strips.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Lawn Darts

What ones do you remember?

I had a few sharp sticks and a lot of rocks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#4]
My buddy had a blue 1:1 scale MP5A3 that looked exactly like the real thing.

Another had a black mag-fed Beretta M9 cap gun.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 10:35:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How about the LARC M19A Freon powered full auto BB Gun? It held about 3K BBs and had and awesome ROF. Besides destroying the Ozone layer you put the freon can under the dryer vent on the side of your house for about 30 min to really build the pressure up and then go destroy your little brother and your cat.
That stuff will cost a cool $100/can today.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Helmets we don't need those to ride a bike!

i disagree.
<= cyclist who rode over 2000 miles this year.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a Mattel SAA look-alike that shot the Mattel Shootn Shell. You put a Greenie Stick 'em cap on the back and push the plastic projectile in the case, and you open the loading gate(just like a real SAA) and proceed to load in 6 rounds. The Greenie Stick 'em caps were expensive, like 3 or 4X the rolled caps.

I also had a SAA look-alike that took the roll caps. You open up the side and put in a roll cap, and there would be little hand the moves the caps up with each pull of the trigger.

The good old days.

"If it's Mattel, it's swell."
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 11:04:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Geez, all I had were books...

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 11:18:36 PM EDT
[#10]
My bro's chemistry set circa 1970 had everything necessary to make black powder.

And when we ran out, we went to the drug store and got refills of potassium nitrate.

Try that today.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 12:01:57 AM EDT
[#11]

It's a blessing I did not have that book around 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 12:17:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I remember lawn darts! Seems like someone was always buying my brothers and I those things. And those toy guns that were pretty realistic (long before the whole colored safety cap thing came around) that tended to make passerbys a little nervous.

But I was never allowed to have a skateboard as a kid because they were too dangerous! Not really understanding the logic behind that, of course...
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 12:34:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My brother had the VF-1 shaped Jetfire Transformer, wish he still had it.

I had all kinds of toys as a kid, but when I discovered Lego, that is all I wanted. I did have a GI Joe phase, had the A-10 looking thing with 3 engines.

There used to be this really cool line of cap guns, that looked exactly like real guns, had copies of real life pistols rifles and sub guns. My brother got the Tec-9 copy. They took caps in linear strips.

Remember those - they were made by larami. Had a removable magazine that would hold two strips of caps - as each cap fired, it was cut off the strip and ejected. Coolest things for playing guns - looked very real.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 1:14:33 AM EDT
[#14]
The Larami cap guns were fucking AWESOME!  Battlestar Galactica toys that shot missles, realistic looking toy guns to play war with, The Green Machine big wheel.  What awesome stuff to grow up with.  Now kids are so coddled that when they do get hurt being kids, the parents want to call the lawers and have corporations closed down. Bunch of damn pussies
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:04:45 AM EDT
[#15]
tag for more...

b
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:12:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Captain Planets Wheeler has a very weak lighter inside of him, on the back he had a thumbwheel and when you pressed that sparks would shoot out of the little hole in his chest.

Growing up in Florida there are dry seasons and times when we are on fire.

Get this toy in the middle of some dry leaves and you could start a brush fire.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:53:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Anybody else have these? With the missiles that shot right into your eye.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:59:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Awesome! I forgot about those My sister and I used to use it as a jump rope.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:10:00 AM EDT
[#19]
We just fought each other w/ our BB guns...

..."One Pump Rule"
Also, like most young boys, i was a pyro...When i was 13-14, you could still buy mercury switches at Radio Shack

I'll just leave it at that
Speed
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:11:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Best thing my brother and I ever had:

Dammit, well it was a picture of a Honda Trail 70, no helmets.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:12:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:19:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Extorris/400774455_8a5280ab05.jpg

I had Mazinga as well.  Cool as shit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:29:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It was a (humanoid) plastic "robot" probably 18+ - 24" tall, one fist was spring loaded and could shoot off, and had two spring loaded missles in the middle of it's chest - yes, this had the ultimate rapid erect nipples.

IIRC, it had wheels on the bottom of it's feet, and was generally yellow with blue and black on it.

ETA:

Found it!

I forgot that it had spare ammo for the nip, er... chest rockets on it's shoulders.

I had the "Mazinga" one. He launched the missles from his one hand, and held a sword in his other. Dang that thing was fun!!!

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:33:55 AM EDT
[#24]

these were the best!

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#25]

You beat me to the Shogun Warriors. I had 5 or 6 of those things at one point. My favorite one threw the ax in his hand pretty damn hard.

Found him, it was this guy:

Insert foolishly stolen bandwidth photo here....

Reading more, it seems there were only 4 of them released in the US. Was there another toy like the Shogun Warriors? I remember fighting with my friend over who got the "extra one" to make up a 3 robot unit.

Edit:  Sorry about that.  I wasn't thinking, and the readers of this thread paid for it.  I forgot how much bandwidth a site like this can use in a single day.  Even if it was a small site, it was still me stealing that guys bandwidth.  It won't happen again.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about the LARC M19A Freon powered full auto BB Gun? It held about 3K BBs and had and awesome ROF. Besides destroying the Ozone layer you put the freon can under the dryer vent on the side of your house for about 30 min to really build the pressure up and then go destroy your little brother and your cat.

my dad had one of those when i was a kid.

I had one and I would put the freon can in a jar of warm water while I shot it to keep the pressure up.

We also had BB wars, I can't believe no one lost an eye.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#27]
I remember being somewhat unattended at grandma's one day.  I occupied myself with a brick, hammer, and a box of .22.   Never got one to pop...luckily
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Tinker Toys and Home Chemistry set....

No wonder the engineers of the current generation all are nothing but Computer Science idiots (to be fair, i am too).
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#30]
I never had that toy a couple of posts up. Hasbro "Copraphiliac Japanese Girl"
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Knicker Knockers or Clackers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLHftISLNHE

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:52:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yep, my brother and I had one each, plus I think it may have been the same company that made the Godzilla I had.  We had a lot of this stuff.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#33]
toys/guns aren't dangerous.  they are inanimate objects that will not hurt anyone.  those that misuse toys are dangerous and are eligible for darwin awards.

i had a 22 rifle at 6, a 38 revolver at 8, and a 35 remington at 12.  guess what? i never shot any one no matter how mad i was.  i was taught to respect the guns lethality.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I had a Raiden.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My Tonka trucks were metal.  If you fell on it it was going to leave a mark.  And you could use it to beat the shit out of little Billy that lived down the street if he pissed you off.....

Still got most of mine, stored safely away . Built in the 70's with real steel.

Best Christmas present was my Honda Z50, it was yellow and had 3 gears and never quite running.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Child of the 80s here.

We had

1. An arsenal of cap guns that were the exact same size and weight as real firearms (my favorite was my 1911).

2. BMX bikes + plywood+ 2x4s+ tools = very dangerous ramps to do tricks on

3. Lawn darts (of course)

4. Fire (always a crowd pleaser)

5. Aresol cans, fire and BB guns

6. Fireworks (not just the pussy kind, 8oz rockets, mortars etc)

7. Model rockets

8. Motorcross bikes and scooters

9. Muriatic acid (etch your name into the concrete sidewalks and roads)

10.BB guns

11.Radio flyer wagons

12.Sleds (I had one that was like a snowmobile sans motor)

13.Shovels (built trenches, tunnels and some very sketchy dirt jumps for BMX and dirtbikes)

14.Abandoned industrial parks (not really a toy, but all kinds of dangerous fun)

15.Dry ice (add to a soda bottle, pour in some water, cap and run like hell).

16.Radio Controlled cars, boats and planes (not the toy store ones)

ETA: Shopping carts "borrowed" from the local grocery store. Bombing a steep hill in one of those, not safe (I have the scars to prove it).

Amazing that I survived my childhood.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Get hit with one of those and you'll be getting coloring books for Christmas for the rest of your life...Blue Collar Comedy Tour
Quoted:
Lawn Darts

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Chinese Stars. They were the real deal! My brother would fling one of those and I would be bob'n and weav'n.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Get hit with one of those and you'll be getting coloring books for Christmas for the rest of your life...Blue Collar Comedy Tour
Quoted:
Lawn Darts

Who was it that posted that here years ago?  It was something along the lines of;

"I carry a lead weight on the end of chain.  One smack in the grape and it's coloring books for Christmas.  You guys savvy me?"
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I had an early 70's knock off of the "Tracer Disk Gun" that would shoot the little plastic frisbee through a cardboard box.

Also the little fiberglass bow and arrow set with the suction cup arrows that everyone stuck in a pencil sharpener.

And my pride and joy... a Gilbert Chemistry Lab. I think I probably still have little slivers of glass in my right hand from that fucker.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lawn Darts

Who was it that posted that here years ago?  It was something along the lines of;

"I carry a lead weight on the end of chain.  One smack in the grape and it's coloring books for Christmas.  You guys savvy me?"

don't forget the "It's not whiz bang tactical but"

I remember it but don't remember who it was

tm 31-210 is crazy. I had to go find it after that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I had a Battlestar Galatica Viper and Cylon fighter that were recalled because kids were choking on the missiles that were spring-loaded and fired like 20 feet.  My parents just told me not to put them in my mouth.

Damn that is exactly what I wanted to post.  But I had all three, Colonial Viper, Cylon fighter, and the Colonial Scarab.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
rock wars. Nothing larger than your thumb or everyone beat your ass.

Yep, but after some kids had to go to the ER we switched over to crab apples instead.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I had an "almost full size" machine gun on a tripod that fired red plastic bullets about 30-40 feet.

THIS!!!  I wondered if anyone would know what I was talking about.  That f#@ker ROCKED!  My bullets were white but it sure spit them out.

I also got an M-14 that shot plastic bullets a good distance.  Detachable mag and everything.  Man, toys were great in the late '60's...

TC

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#45]

And it shot around corners if you angled the gun 45 degrees!

SST Destruction Derby!  Toys that you were supposed to smash up!
I'm an HTML idiot and I don't know how to embed video

Cap Bombs...These were the...well, bomb.  Went great with my Western play set, which came with not only a brace of cap pistols, gun belt/holsters, badge AND bandit mask, felt cowboy hat, kerchief, AND a cap lever-action rifle!  Full size!  Can't find picture

Tin Can Alley...photosensitive (didn't know that when I was a kid) rifle that would "blink" a light when you pulled the trigger––if you "hit" the can just right, a little solenoid would kick it off the fence rail.  Good stuff!  Plus, the gun was just friggin' fun to play with outside at night.

Probably my favorite toy as a kid...Everybody loved Star Trek, but I was a Space: 1999 fan!  Freakin' thing was like 3 FEET LONG!

Soccer Boppers!  Can you imagine the horror among today's parents if these were released NOW?  My brother and I spent many, many happy hours wailing on each other with these things––and many, many more hours when somebody got hurt and lost their temper––then it was even MORE FUN!

Aurora Slot Cars!  Remember these?  "Now with the JAM CAR!", which was just another car that would  race down the track, randomly changing lanes.

Ricochet Racers––not very common, but this thing kicked ass!  High-speed cars were loaded into shells, then the shells were chambered and fired on the floot, which spit these cars out at a very high rate of speed.  There was a "safety" on the front that would only allow the car "launcher" to be fired on the floor, but a fairly clever child could easily figure out that if you held it in by hand, you had an AWESOME grenade launcher for war games outside (which is how I lost my cars)...

Mattel Agent Zero Bazooka
My friend had one, but was not allowed to play with it after his parents heard it fire the first time.  It sucked: Every time I went over to his house, we'd ask his mom if we could play with it, and every time it was "No!  That thing is WAY too loud for your ears!" and then went back to her Burt Bacharach turned way too high up on the hi-fi...

Ghost Gun!  Turn the lights out, and ghosts would "fly" by in the light beam!  You had to shoot them when they got just right in the cross hairs, and then a black hole would appear where you shot them...Great stuff!  Fun outside!

Water Weenies!  Don't know what happened to these...they were a Summertime staple, growing up...every summer we got new bathing suits, air-mattresses, and water weenies!

Wow...looking back, as a child all my favorite toys were weapons related...I guess I was always a gun nut...with two VERY COOL EXCEPTIONS:
1) A microscope––many, many hours playing with that, and making slides
2) A "woodworking" kit that came with small, but very real tools.  Saw, block plane, brace and bit, a vise that would clamp to a table (I'll bet a lot of dining room tables got sawed into), screwdrivers, etc...You could actually build real stuff with that set, and I loved it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

ETA:

Found it!

GaiKing was a great cartoon.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
[div]PVC pipe and bottle rockets.  

[div]We made our own extremely accurate guns for bottle rocket wars. [/quote]

A friend brought back about 1000 bottle rockets from vacation (illegal in IN at the time).  His dad was a golfer and he had some of those 3 foot long tubes to put in your golf bag to keep the clubs separated.

We'd put cardboard to plug up one end and cut a square hole to light the fuze and we were GTG!  No paper boy or neighborhood cat was safe.  Some of them were defective––they wouldn't explode, they would just fire the main propellant then arc down and the charge gunpowder would propel it downward.  Those worked great for shooting over the top of someone's house and hitting the people in the front yard.

Good times!

TC

ETA: When we got older, we did the tennis ball cannon and shot crab apples at cars with wrist rockets.  Dumb assed kids, we shot at ONCOMING cars.  Almost got our asses beat once.  Fortunately, we E&E'd through a maze of apartments behind my friend's house.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#48]
No mention of gas powered control-line airplanes.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The Green Machine was the shit. It put Big Wheel to shame with it's ebrakes that would put you in a power slide, spinning around like a madman. I don't think they make the because of all the bleeding cuts, scrapes and bruises they would give the real daredevil kids. http://www.tomheroes.com/images/greenmachine.jpg

The Green Machine was the Ferrari of kids 3-wheeled toys.  Good memories.  

I want one now...
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Captain Planets Wheeler has a very weak lighter inside of him, on the back he had a thumbwheel and when you pressed that sparks would shoot out of the little hole in his chest.

Growing up in Florida there are dry seasons and times when we are on fire.

Get this toy in the middle of some dry leaves and you could start a brush fire.

No shit. The Captain Planet doll could be used to start forest fires. That's even better than the sled so you can get run over by a car!

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top