Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 10/19/2010 6:45:13 AM EDT
http://www.expressjetpilots.com/the-pipe/showthread.php?39523-Well-today-was-the-day&s=fa4b43b8bf827740d0e4181293394570
The following was written by a pilot on another forum, concerning his difficulties with TSA and the new "back-scatter" method of screening passengers.
My name is Michael Roberts, and I am a pilot for ExpressJet Airlines,
Inc., based in Houston (that is, I still am for the time being). This
morning as I attempted to pass through the security line for my commute
to work I was denied access to the secured area of the terminal building
at Memphis International Airport. I have passed through the same line
roughly once per week for the past four and a half years without
incident. Today, however, the Transportation Security Administration
(TSA) agents at this checkpoint were using one of the new Advanced
Imaging Technology (AIT) systems that are currently being deployed at
airports across the nation. These are the controversial devices featured
by the media in recent months, albeit sparingly, which enable screeners
to see beneath people’s clothing to an extremely graphic and intrusive
level of detail (virtual strip searching). Travelers refusing this
indignity may instead be physically frisked by a government security
agent until the agent is satisfied to release them on their way in what
is being touted as an "alternative option” to AIT. The following is a
somewhat hastily drafted account of my experience this morning.

As I loaded my bags onto the X-ray scanner belt, an agent told me to
remove my shoes and send them through as well, which I’ve not normally
been required to do when passing through the standard metal detectors in
uniform. When I questioned her, she said it was necessary to remove my
shoes for the AIT scanner. I explained that I did not wish to
participate in the AIT program, so she told me I could keep my shoes and
directed me through the metal detector that had been roped off. She
then called somewhat urgently to the agents on the other side: "We got
an opt-out!” and also reported the "opt-out” into her handheld radio. On
the other side I was stopped by another agent and informed that because
I had "opted out” of AIT screening, I would have to go through
secondary screening. I asked for clarification to be sure he was talking
about frisking me, which he confirmed, and I declined. At this point he
and another agent explained the TSA’s latest decree, saying I would not
be permitted to pass without showing them my naked body, and how my
refusal to do so had now given them cause to put their hands on me as I
evidently posed a threat to air transportation security (this, of
course, is my nutshell synopsis of the exchange). I asked whether they
did in fact suspect I was concealing something after I had passed
through the metal detector, or whether they believed that I had made any
threats or given other indications of malicious designs to warrant
treating me, a law-abiding fellow citizen, so rudely. None of that was
relevant, I was told. They were just doing their job.

Edited...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 6:46:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe he didn't want them seeing his little dirty bomb
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 6:50:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool way to quit your job..

Need to read when I am not driving for more witty comments later

TSA can not detain a person if I am wrong then please post the TSA policy of UOF and their UOF continum
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 6:55:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I live just across the state line from Memphis. This was all over the news here. They didn't say anything about wanting to do a strip search on him.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#4]

I keep reading really nice things about TSA....

they had me remove my shoes and nearly strip me naked in 2004, while I was leaving Denver for New-York....  I'm pretty sure that search request was made by the lady at the check in, who wrote something on the tickets.. Still wonder why..  Swiss passport for me, and italian passport for the 2 people with me...

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cool way to quit your job..

Need to read when I am not driving for more witty comments later

TSA can not detain a person if I am wrong then please post the TSA policy of UOF and their UOF continum

More panache than the flight attendant who took the chute.

Fortunately for me the last time I had to fly (Dad's funeral) was several iterations of assaninity ago. I have neither the requirement nor the desire to participate in the current circus.

"If it says Boeing, I ain't foing".

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:00:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Stuff like that is why I've decided I won't fly anymore, unless it's a life or death thing.  If I can't drive there, I don't need to go that badly.

I'm sure some of you think that's stupid, but you and I know, the crap they pull is doing nothing for security.  Anyone could still get anything on the plane.  We have to get it right 100% of the time, they only have to get it right once.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#7]
you are going to want to cut the article down before the mods arrive.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:03:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:03:46 AM EDT
[#9]
The terrorists are winning.  Enough of the PC bullshit, we need to start profiling.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

you are going to want to cut the article down before the mods arrive.

It's a direct quote from the Gentleman involved. Posted on a message board... I don't think it violates any copyright laws.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#11]
fuck em
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:08:34 AM EDT
[#12]
F the TSA.  I won't go through the screening machines either.  Just tell them that you can't raise your arms above your head and they won't yell out "We've got an Opt Out over here" or so my experience has been.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:08:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Maybe he has a fetish of wearing womens panties and he didn't want them to see them?
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:09:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Didn't John Ross have a prescription for this?

TXL
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:11:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Maybe he has a fetish of wearing womens panties and he didn't want them to see them?

So what if he did?  Does that negate his rights to refuse an unreasonable search without evidence of any wrong doing?

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:12:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Man I hate flying.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The terrorists are winning. Enough of the PC bullshit, we need to start profiling.

In before a certian someone comes in and tells you how profiling does not work and how everyone is planning on blowing up a plane until proven otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:18:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Man I hate flying.

Indeed.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I actually read the whole thing.  That guy is a loon and I'm glad he will no longer be flying aircraft that I may be traveling on.  He must have one teeny tiny pecker to be such a douche about refusing not only the scanner but the pat down as well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I, unfortunately, am scheduled to fly in a couple months.  The first time in years.

So I can tell these morons I don't want to go through the body scanner?  Which they label as an opt-out?  What do they do instead?  Just the wanding or will they put their hands on me patting me down as if I were under arrest?
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I actually read the whole thing.  That guy is a loon and I'm glad he will no longer be flying aircraft that I may be traveling on.  He must have one teeny tiny pecker to be such a douche about refusing not only the scanner but the pat down as well.

I'm not really sure how you would draw that conclusion...

Those scans are a rights violation. If the public uproar gets louder, the TSAs ability to explain things away gets muffled.

I have to commend him for his decision... you may be OK, with having your rights trampled and privacy invaded - I'm not.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:23:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The terrorists are winning. won.  Enough of the PC bullshit, we need to start profiling.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#23]

There are currently 322 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 320 guests)

People are watching.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:24:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I, unfortunately, am scheduled to fly in a couple months.  The first time in years.

So I can tell these morons I don't want to go through the body scanner?  Which they label as an opt-out?  What do they do instead?  Just the wanding or will they put their hands on me patting me down as if I were under arrest?

Yes. You get the hand-wand and a pat down.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Douche fight!

Of course, the whole idea of screening someone with access to the flight deck, the fire axe, and controls is somewhat
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The terrorists are winning.  Enough of the PC bullshit, we need to start profiling.

Unfortunately, I do believe that 'profiling' is an option to any TSA agent... it's just that the people they choose to profile are typically PC to profile.

... and I did write up a short rant about TSA and Homeland Security but in the interest of my own longevity and future as a 'free' man, I opted to delete them before publishing them to an internet sight that is undoubtedly monitored by said agencies...

Fuck TSA. I hope the pilot keeps his job. I hope his 'supervisor' tells TSA to fuck off and die and I hope the pilot finds legal council to challenge his detainment and humiliations.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those scans are a rights violation. If the public uproar gets louder, the TSAs ability to explain things away gets muffled.

I have to commend him for his decision... you may be OK, with having your rights trampled and privacy invaded - I'm not.

If you read the whole thing and can't find the logical inconsistencies then I can't help.  He refuses the scanner (so what, I don't care).  Then he refuses a pat down (why?).  Later on he claims that TSA just wouldn't be happy until they saw him naked.  Is he such a moron that he doesn't understand that a pat down is not a strip search?    I get patted down going into nightclubs in most cities, it's not a big deal.  I'm not embarrassed about my body, so I don't have one iota of problem standing in the scanner, as I've done many times.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#28]
since allegedly the "powers that be" are observing this thread may I shout out to DIA TSA Employee <removed> that I didn't not notice the obvious power trip you got you little dicked faggot in donning rubber gloves and cracking jokes about a cavity search to the young mother with newborn 2 places ahead of me in line and at that had you taken your "joke" further the only cavity being explored would have been your orbital cavity with my thumb doing the exploring

that is all
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Should I have to make that decision, I will opt out of the scanner and let someone fondle my junk, just on principle.  

CJ

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:31:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Did it occur to them that the pilot doesn't need to bring a weapon.....he fucking is at the controls of a more powerful weapon than he could possibly smuggle.

DUMBASSES.....that is a term that doesn't adequately describe just how dumb those guys was.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you read the whole thing and can't find the logical inconsistencies then I can't help.  He refuses the scanner (so what, I don't care).  Then he refuses a pat down (why?).  Later on he claims that TSA just wouldn't be happy until they saw him naked.  Is he such a moron that he doesn't understand that a pat down is not a strip search?    I get patted down going into nightclubs in most cities, it's not a big deal.  I'm not embarrassed about my body, so I don't have one iota of problem standing in the scanner, as I've done many times.

Your willingness to submit to such intrusions is not grounds to force others to do the same.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Should I have to make that decision, I will opt out of the scanner and let someone fondle my junk, just on principle.  

CJ

Maybe they offer junk-fondling WHILE you are in the body scanner. That would be neat to see.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You and I are 2 very different people.

If I am getting a pat down, it means I am in handcuffs and about to go for a ride in some form of law enforcement vehicle, having been accused of a crime or am being detained by a certified LEO with those powers. That is the only time that treatment is legal.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your willingness to submit to such intrusions is not grounds to force others to do the same.

I "submit to such intrusions" because it is required of my service to the US military. Likewise this douche has to comply with the standards as a condition of his employment.  Like I said, good riddance to bad rubbish.  There are plenty of pilots waiting on the furlough list to take his job.  He knew he'd be subject to security screenings daily when he took the job.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I actually read the whole thing. That guy is a loon and I'm glad he will no longer be flying aircraft that I may be traveling on. He must have one teeny tiny pecker to be such a douche about refusing not only the scanner but the pat down as well.

Really? I also read the whole thing and saw nothing wrong with what he said or did.  But if you hate freedoms.... well, to each his own I guess.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. You get the hand-wand and a pat down.

FWIW, I've been "selected for random additional screening" several times.  Every pat down I ever had was a complete joke and would not have found anything I had made any effort to hide.  They swept me with the wand first, but weapons are not necessarily made of metal.

Since they normally do these in full view of everyone waiting to go through the metal detector, I'm convinced their only intent is to make people think they're doing their job.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:39:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If I am getting a pat down, it means I am in handcuffs and about to go for a ride in some form of law enforcement vehicle, having been accused of a crime or am being detained by a certified LEO with those powers. That is the only time that treatment is legal.

I have a pacemaker, I get patted down every time I fly.
It is no big deal and the procedure is really non invasive to a normal person.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:39:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Good for you.  I hope you get to keep your job.  Someone has to stand up for our Civil Liberties.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#40]
fess up arfcom whom has walked through one of these with a high hard one
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Good for you.  I hope you get to keep your job.  Someone has to stand up for our Civil Liberties.

I didn't write this, it's from a pilot on another forum...

Sorry - I'll try to clarify up top

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:45:09 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

fess up arfcom whom has walked through one of these with a high hard one

That would be hilarious, but anything you worked up in the line by checking out the hotties would be instantly destroyed when you get to the TSAurus Rex waiting to wave you through.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:46:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CJ

Maybe they offer junk-fondling WHILE you are in the body scanner. That would be neat to see.

Freaky...."Paging TRG. TRG please pick up the pink courtesy phone".

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#44]
I am sympathetic to the cause but that guy comes off as a total douche nozzle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Ask yourself this... would you let your wife go through that machine?  Knowing that dudes would be looking at her butt naked?
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:48:47 AM EDT
[#46]
The whole joke of matter is that the reason for have these scanners is bullshit.  They will not detect the type of bomb the underwear bomber had but they seem to be halfway decent at detecting some drug smugglers and in any case have found about 80 prohibited items nationwide in the past year.
Further Reading
Some more Reading
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:48:55 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My issue with this procedure doesn't even get that far... it's the principle to me. Being a law-abiding citizen and having committed no crime...

What is the difference between the physical treatment a drug-dealer that just got busted received... and of you, on your way to Pebble Beach to play golf? I don't see any... hands on your body, looking for tools of criminal behavior and bad intentions.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

My issue with this procedure doesn't even get that far... it's the principle to me. Being a law-abiding citizen and having committed no crime...

What is the difference between the physical treatment a drug-dealer that just got busted received... and of you, on your way to Pebble Beach to play golf? I don't see any... hands on your body, looking for tools of criminal behavior and bad intentions.

You can drive....that's the bottom line.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The whole joke of matter is that the reason for have these scanners is bullshit.  They will not detect the type of bomb the underwear bomber had but they seem to be halfway decent at detecting some drug smugglers and in any case have found about 80 prohibited items nationwide in the past year.
Further Reading
Some more Reading

yep personal stash bags nips and lips is about what theses detect
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Ask yourself this... would you let your wife go through that machine?  Knowing that dudes would be looking at her butt naked?

OMG, that's like totally porno!  

Might even be able to see if she's wearing a thong or granny panties.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top