Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2010 9:25:03 AM EDT
Why do people constantly answer questions or arguments with "Well, I feel that..." or " I personally think that..." Whenever I'm debating anything from politics to pocket lint I make a serious effort to use logic, facts, or personal experience/observation. I personally don't give a flyin ratfuck about your personal feelings, especially when arguing over important stuff like healthcare, economics, or U.S. war policy. Is it a generational thing, kids get a too "touchy feely every loser's a winner" education in school now...but I'm seeing it more an more in all age groups. Is it the liberal moonbattery currently en vogue? Whats the deal? Did I miss a memo?

<Why do people continue to use profanity in thread titles?  Yes––you missed the memo, it's called the Conduct Code.  ––tbk1>
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Because if I say, "I feel that you're incorrect" it won't hurt your feelings as much as saying "You're incorrect."  It's a way of hedging on the issue.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Because if I say, "I feel that you're incorrect" it won't hurt your feelings as much as saying "You're incorrect."  It's a way of hedging on the issue.

Because people have vaginas.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Because they're presenting opinions, not necessarily facts.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#4]
How does that make you feel?
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't kid yourself, both sides do it. It's all about appealing to basic emotions, a very human thing for everyone.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This. Emotion makes up our personalities and view points.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I learned to use hedge clippers on those.

Mostly, people are non-confrontational, and see honest debate on topics
as conflict. They can't handle the truth.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They lady would be correct.  Those are ways of prefacing a statement of opinion.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Opinions should be based on some sort of logic just as much as what you "feel."  I can "feel" bad for people living on welfare, but I would not let my "feelings" drive me to supporting economically unviable policies to mitigate their situation, especially when logic dictates these very policies harmful for everyone under them.

You can "feel" an emotion; you cannot "feel" a fact or an observation.  These are simple rules of the English language.

Liberals, with no basis in logic for their arguments, attempt to use "feelings" as a modifier to somehow elevate their argument towards validity.

Edit:  I am just as guilty of the incorrect usage of the word "feel" as anyone else.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I feel, no wait I think....no.

Start over.

This thread is, in fact, retarded.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I feel your pain. I also feel that you will recieve the answer you seek in a brilliant bolt of inspiration.
On the other hand that could be alien plasma death rays
who knows are you in Shitcargo?
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I always just say , I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#13]
It's just a fucking word.  It's no different than saying "I think".

You're over analyzing the problem WAAAAAAAY too much.    Did they hurt your feelings by using the wrong verb?

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So very this.

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Because the majority of people are incapable of sufficient reasoning and most of them never will be capable of it.  It is hardly generational, just a fact of life.  Many philosophers have described this phenomenon over the ages.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I seriously FEEL that you need to take your medication and I personally think that you need mental help for your anger issues.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#17]
x1000

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#18]
so you are whining about people whining? or is it your opinion people are whiny? do you feel that people are whiny about feelings?
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#19]
So what ARE your viewpoints on pocket lint?  And don't give me any of that wishy-washy "I keep it for fire-starting" limp-dicked bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Ethos, logos, pathos.

If you can't use all three in a debate, yer gonna lose.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I feel it's Because they're presenting opinions, not necessarily facts.

fixed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Is this sort of like why do women cry?
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
first post nails it; I was taught to always state it as a feeling so the person on the opposite side has a harder time refuting it.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Because facts are concrete and provable and not always on your side.  Feelings on the other hand are abstract and can never really be proven as right or wrong.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I feel your pain. I also feel that you will recieve the answer you seek in a brilliant bolt of inspiration.

On the other hand that could be alien plasma death rays

no, thankfully a bit downstate

who knows are you in Shitcargo?

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#27]
because many arguments are over non empirical evaluations or aesthetics, in which feelings or judgements based on feelings have merit...
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Feminized society....nuff said.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Because the majority of people are incapable of sufficient reasoning and most of them never will be capable of it.  It is hardly generational, just a fact of life.  Many philosophers have described this phenomenon over the ages.

Quoted:
Ethos, logos, pathos.

If you can't use all three in a debate, yer gonna lose.  

this is probably where I was going with this. yes I probably do have anger issues, but its more of an annoyance than anything, no I'm not whining just looking for reasons why and wanting to make my own arguments better
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
because many arguments are over non empirical evaluations or aesthetics, in which feelings or judgements based on feelings have merit...

the problem lies in the fact that I hear it constantly over quantifiable issues
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Opinions should be based on some sort of logic just as much as what you "feel."  I can "feel" bad for people living on welfare, but I would not let my "feelings" drive me to supporting economically unviable policies to mitigate their situation, especially when logic dictates these very policies harmful for everyone under them.

You can "feel" an emotion; you cannot "feel" a fact or an observation.  These are simple rules of the English language.

Liberals, with no basis in logic for their arguments, attempt to use "feelings" as a modifier to somehow elevate their argument towards validity.

Edit:  I am just as guilty of the incorrect usage of the word "feel" as anyone else.

I'll give you some examples.

"I feel abortion should be conditional"

"I feel Biden would make a terrible president"

"I feel church and state should be separate"

All lines from common debates. All feelings.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#32]
guess I'm just an emotionally detached prick...ehh...cant win em all
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Because they are too stupid to use logic and think people actually give a shit what their "feelings" are.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Most of the people I talk to that are self professed "Masters of Logic", are just loud mouthed blowhards that use plea to emotion and plea to authority arguments with little logic. They are no better than the overly emotional people they look down their noses at.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#36]

we've been [wrongly] taught that "feelings" are somehow equivalent or even superior to facts.

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#37]
I think that perhaps a few people are getting the use of emotions rather than facts in an arguement mixed up with a commonly used turn of phrase that people use to introduce an opinion.

"I feel," I believe" , "It is my opinion that," are all prefaces used when people, in discourse, want to introduce an opinion and really have no bearing if that opinion is based on fact or emotion.

For example:

"I feel that PMAGS are the best mag (opinion) because after shooting hundreds of mags with hundred of rounds of ammo, PMAGS have never jammed (fact...or at least an observation).  Opinion based on fact.
                                                                      VS
"I feel that PMAGS are the best mag (opinion) because the other mags make me cry (emotion).  Opinion based on emotion.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the problem lies in the fact that I hear it constantly over quantifiable issues

Obviously, hearing people say "I feel 2+2 should equal 5" is retarded.  People do this all the time, and I agree it's irritating, but this kind of thing (agreed that my example is oversimplified) is rarely the subject of a determined argument because eventually someone looks up the facts and wins the argument.

When it's a question of interpreting the facts,  things like "I feel...",  start to enter the picture.  It's usually the lead-in to their argument, e.g. "I feel that communism is bad because it demands a trust in government  that I do not feel is appropriate.  It also tries to artificially impose collectivism on the human animal which is intrinsically individualistic."  Neither of these are empirical fact, even though they're based on observational phenomena.  This is why you follow that up with an argument (hopefully based on quantifiable things) to demonstrate why you believe this and support your premise.  The problem arises when people try to muddy the waters (either accidentally or intentionally) with statements like this: "you're wrong, because the idea of working together for the common good all the time makes me happy", but this counterargument fails to address the individual premise in any way, it's just a parallel premise (as stated).  When arguing with someone, this is a poor tactic.  If your opponent does this, the worst thing you can do is get drawn off your argument to pursue this red herring.  You must squash it immediately with a resounding "hey dumbass, that has nothing to do with the point I'm trying to make... either get with the program or I'm going to stomp your nuts into malt-o-meal... I can kick your ass on that subject some other time, preferably after I'm done monkeyfucking you on this one".  Confidence is essential in debate.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#39]
In an informal discussion, it's not a big deal, but in a debate setting, you CANNOT make it seem like it's a personal opinion. It's your job in a debate to explain that your side is correct and why it is that way. I was in a government class in high school that was also a sort of debate team called "We the People," and if anybody EVER said "I feel that..." or "I personally believe that..." our teacher would be severely disappointed. He would always say to say exactly what you were going to say, but delete the "I feel that..." from the front of it and you will instantly sound far more assertive. The main idea of what I'm trying to get across is that feelings don't get you very far in a debate, but evidence and logic do. However, in an informal discussion, it's okay, because you don't have any objective in the discussion.

On a side note, when someone says "I feel that..." and things like that, they sound like Miss Teen South Carolina to me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Because arguments based on facts are a losing proposition for people who have replaced reason with emotion.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
In an informal discussion, it's not a big deal, but in a debate setting, you CANNOT make it seem like it's a personal opinion. It's your job in a debate to explain that your side is correct and why it is that way. I was in a government class in high school that was also a sort of debate team called "We the People," and if anybody EVER said "I feel that..." or "I personally believe that..." our teacher would be severely disappointed. He would always say to say exactly what you were going to say, but delete the "I feel that..." from the front of it and you will instantly sound far more assertive. The main idea of what I'm trying to get across is that feelings don't get you very far in a debate, but evidence and logic do. However, in an informal discussion, it's okay, because you don't have any objective in the discussion.

On a side note, when someone says "I feel that..." and things like that, they sound like Miss Teen South Carolina to me.

True, but debate and debate competitions have really changed. I saw a video where the "debators" would stand up and try to read off their points as fast as they could in an alloted time, making it just an exercise in speed reading.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top