Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2010 3:52:05 PM EDT

Ok, so the service manual says the turn signal relay is located to the left of the steering column, under the dash, and shows a not-at-all helpful picture of a typical black relay box (hey faggots how about putting a picture of where the fucking box IS).  So in an attempt to figure out which relay is the turn signal relay, I pulled nine, yes NINE relays out of that area, and you know what's funny?  I can't figure out what any of them do.  The truck starts right up, drives around, lights go on and off, radio works, etc. with nine relays sitting in the passenger seat.  I can't figure out anything that doesn't work just like it did before with all nine relays removed.  But my front turn signals still won't work (and yes I checked the fuses and yes I replaced the bulbs just in case and yes they worked two months ago when I bought the truck and it was inspected).

If someone can tell me where the turn signal relay actually is, I will be very happy with them and I won't be nearly as tempted to shoot some relatively random person in the face today.  Thanks so much in advance.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Do the rears work?
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, on both sides.  However the left flashes fast (like a bulb is burned out which is why I replaced them), the right flashes at the correct speed.

Why oh why is shooting people illegal?  I need a stress reliever right now and there are so many useless people nearby!
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The flasher unit is in the LH kick panel.
You'll see a junction box, and at the very top, facing towards the rear of the car, a black relay looking thing. That's it.

It has 3 terminals. And it is not going to be the problem, most likely.

Edit: Looking at the wiring diagram - I can almost guarantee it needs a turn signal switch assembly.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't translate wiring diagrams to real life wires for shit.  That's why I hate doing electrics.  I can torque bolts and sand bodywork with no problems but electrical gremlins I guess I'm just not smart enough to tackle.  

I have a spare vehicle that I'm cannibalizing for parts, so acquiring parts isn't a problem.  If you can tell me where the turn signal switch assembly is, I would be most obliged.  Is it up in the steering column by the actual control stalk?  

I should use this fucking Haynes manual for toilet paper, its useless.  I need a real shop repair manual but haven't found one for sale online anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can't translate wiring diagrams to real life wires for shit.  That's why I hate doing electrics.  I can torque bolts and sand bodywork with no problems but electrical gremlins I guess I'm just not smart enough to tackle.  

I have a spare vehicle that I'm cannibalizing for parts, so acquiring parts isn't a problem.  If you can tell me where the turn signal switch assembly is, I would be most obliged.  Is it up in the steering column by the actual control stalk?  

I should use this fucking Haynes manual for toilet paper, its useless.  I need a real shop repair manual but haven't found one for sale online anywhere.

It would be the stalk itself, and the piece inside the column.
TOOL REQUIRED

* J-29752 Steering Wheel Remover

PREPARATION:

* Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.
   * Turn the ignition switch to "LOCK".
   * Disconnect the battery "-" terminal cable, and wait at least 5 minutes.
   * Disconnect the yellow 3-way SRS connector located under the steering column.

CAUTION: The wheels of the vehicle must be straight ahead and the steering column in the "LOCK" position before disconnecting the steering wheel. Failure to do so will cause the coil assembly to become uncentered which will cause damage to the coil assembly.

REMOVAL

1. Driver air bag assembly:

1. Loosen the driver air bag assembly fixing bolt from behind the steering wheel assembly using a Torx driver or equivalent until the driver air bag assembly can be released from steering assembly.
        2. Disconnect the yellow 2-way SRS connector located behind the driver air bag assembly.

WARNING: The air bag assembly should always be carried with the urethane cover away from your body and should always be laid on a flat surface with the urethane side up. This is necessary be cause a free space is provided to allow the air cushion to expand in the unlikely event of accidental deployment. otherwise, personal injury may result .

2. Steering wheel

1. Apply a setting mark across the steering wheel and shaft so parts can be reassembled in their original position.

2. Use special tool. Remove the steering wheel. Move the tires to the straight ahead position before removing the steering wheel.

CAUTION: Never apply force to the steering Wheel in direction of the shaft by using a hammer or other impact tools in an attempt to remove the steering wheel. The steering shaft is designed as an energy absorbing unit.

3. Instrument panel lower cover

1. Remove the engine hood opening lever.
        2. Remove the illumination light harness connectors.

4. Steering column cover
  5. Combination switch and SRS coil assembly:

1. -Disconnect the wiring harness connectors located under the steering column.

2. Remove the combination switch assembly with SRS coil.

NOTE: The SRS coil is a part of the combination switch assembly, which can not be replaced separately. Therefore, be sure not to remove the SRS coil from the combination switch assembly.

INSTALLATION

1. Combination switch and SRS coil assembly

1. After installation of combination switch assembly, connect the combination switch wiring harness connector and the SRS 3-way connector located under the steering column.

2. Turn the SRS coil clockwise to full, return about 3 turns and align the neutral mark.

CAUTION: When turning the SRS coil clockwise to full, stop turning if resistance is felt. Forced further turning may damage to the cable in the SRS coil.

2. Steering column cover. When installing the steering column cover, be sure to wire (through each harness) as illustrated so that the harnesses starter switch, combination switch and SRS coil may not catch wiring.
  3. Instrument panel lower cover

1. Install the illumination light harness connectors.
        2. Install the engine hood opening lever.

4. Steering wheel

1. Align the setting marks made when removing.

CAUTION: Never apply force to the steering wheel in direction of the shaft by using a hammer or other impact tools in an attempt to remove the steering wheel. The steering shaft is designed as an energy absorbing unit.

2. Tighten the steering wheel fixing nut to the specified torque. Torque to 34 Nm (25 ft. lbs.) .

5. Driver air bag assembly

1. Support the module and carefully connect the module connector.

NOTE: Pass the lead wire through the tabs on the plastic cover (wire protector) of inflator to prevent lead wire from being pinched.

2. Secure the module with one bolt to relieve weight on the connector wire.

3. Tighten bolts to specified sequence. Torque to 8 Nm (69 inch lbs.) .
        4. Connect the battery "-" terminal cable.
        5. Set ignition to "ON" while watching warning light.
        6. Light should flash 7 times and then go off.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Where did you get that from, and where can I get the whole thing?  

I swapped steering wheels on my old Camaro years ago, but I've never removed one with an airbag.  

FUUUUUUUUU
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Alldata.com

If you send me an email tomorrow, I'll email or fax it to you with the pictures.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 7:54:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Email sent. Rented a steering wheel puller today but I'm going to start with finding and swapping the relay first as that will be easier.

EDIT: Turn signal relay was right where you said.  Swapped it out just to make sure and you are right, no change.

Gonna start pulling the steering wheel off the donor truck now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Email sent. Rented a steering wheel puller today but I'm going to start with finding and swapping the relay first as that will be easier.

EDIT: Turn signal relay was right where you said.  Swapped it out just to make sure and you are right, no change.

Gonna start pulling the steering wheel off the donor truck now.

I haven't got an email yet - try [email protected]
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I have good news, bad news, and really bad news.

Good news:  I managed to swap the entire steering wheel switch assembly without breaking anything or making anything worse.  The lights, cruise control, wipers, etc. all work just like before.  And I didn't have to pay anyone for labor, my only cost was $2 for a torx head from the local hardware store.

The bad:  it didn't make a damn bit of difference on the turn signals.  I have now swapped bulbs, relay, and switch assemblies and there is no change.

Really bad news:  Someone has obviously been in here already.  There is a Viper alarm system under the dash and a gordian knot of twist-connectors, black electrical tape and not-at-all-OEM zip ties.  There is a small brown wire that goes nowhere, it just ends in a bare lead.  There are two relays there that aren't present at all on the donor truck.

And something very, very weird happened when I reconnected the negative battery terminal.  The engine fired right up, with the ignition key in my back pocket.  Everything worked, the car could shift gears, all lights worked, etc, no matter what position the key was in.  I think maybe the stupid alarm has an engine remote start or something.  After playing with key positions for a couple of minutes it became clear there was no way to electrically shut the engine off, so I pulled the air filter cover off and shoved my fist into the intake plenum, stalling the engine as it starved for air.  

I also noticed that while the engine was in "haunted tank" mode the driver's side front turn signal was on constantly.  So that bulb does work and the wire to it was getting constant power while the engine was running with no key in the car.  

Ideas anyone?  Swap out the entire wiring harness from the old truck?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top