Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 416
Posted: 10/5/2010 2:47:23 PM EDT
Looks decently entertaining. Still in closed Beta but I've read you can still get signed up.

Anyone here tried it?

World of Tanks

Trailer 1 - WoW joke

Trailer 2

Trailer 3 - Eve joke

Trailer 4 - Racing joke

Originally Posted By E-95 and the crew of ARFCOM armorhedz  all the way back here on P. 297 but presented here for easy reference.

AR15.com World of Tanks FAQ

• How do I create an account and download the World of Tanks client?
    On the upper right corner of the World of Tanks website there is a "create account" link.  Click that and it's pretty self-explanatory from there.  Once you complete the account creation you will be automatically taken to the client download page or you can just click the following link (you still have to create an account on the website): World of Tanks Client Download

• Glossary of terms commonly found in game:
    World of Tanks Wiki - Glossary

• Basic tactics and strategy for new guys:
    World of Tanks Strategy Series - Basic Tactics Guide: Part 1 of 2
    World of Tanks Strategy Series - Basic Tactics Guide: Part 2 of 2
    World of Tanks Wiki - Basic Tactics
    World of Tanks Wiki - Battle Mechanics
    WoT Database - Maps - Clicking each map will reveal details on common strategies for that location.

• How do I join one of the AR15.com Clans?
    Login to the World of Tanks website (the login link as at the top, right of your browser window).
    Once you login, close to the top on the right side you'll see a Community link.  Click that and then select Clans as seen below.

Type in the name of the AR15.com Clan you'd like to join (currently there are three:  AR15, AR-15, and AR_15 and hit enter.  The clan in question will show up like the screen shot below.  Click the clan name.

Once you're in the Clan screen, on the right hand side you'll see a link for Join Clan like below.  Click the link and a small message window will appear.  Type that you're from here, click Send, and one of the Clan leaders will approve your membership shortly.

• An additional option is to PM one of the Clan leaders with your World of Tanks Username and ask them to send you an invite.  You’re looking for the Commander and Deputy Commander ranks in the Clan member lists.  Most of their AR15.com names are the same as in WoT but the three Clan Commanders are:

AR15:  Strykewolf
    AR-15: LCPL4ever
    AR_15: tony55690

• Where do I find the iOS / Droid World of Tanks app?
    iOS World of Tanks Assistant
    Droid World of Tanks Assistant

• Where do I get that sound / reticle / XVM / camera zoom mod that Moe, Larry, and Curly were talking about?
    Most of the popular World of Tanks mods can be found here:  Curse.com WoT Mods

• Where are the weak spots on AFV X?  Every time I shoot one all my rounds bounce!
    There's an online database of the entire tech tree for all nations here:  WoT Database. You can see from the screen shot below that it pretty well mirrors the in-game tech tree with the addition of the premiums at the far right.

Click on any AFV and it will open a popup window like you see below.  Note that there are several buttons at the bottom of the window.

Most of the AFV's from around Tier V and up have a Vulnerability button.  Clicking that button will open another window below that will show weaknesses for that particular AFV.

*** You should note that the bottom of the window has a view from all four sides and the top of the AFV. Click to enlarge them. ***

• What is the AR15.com in-game Channel name and password?
    Channel Name:  arfcom
    Password:  FUAROCK

• I hear guys talking about TeamSpeak/TS3 and/or Vent.  What's that?
    TeamSpeak 3 (or TS3) and Ventrilo (most often abbreviated as Vent) are widely used by gamers who use the software to communicate with other players on the same team of a multiplayer game. They chosen by gamers because the clients use minimal CPU resources.  They can be downloaded here:
    TeamSpeak 3
    Ventrilo Client

Here are short guides on how to setup TS3 or Vent once you get it installed:
    teamspeak.com
    overclock.net

The following servers are used by AR15.com for TS3:

Engine_95's TS3 Server
    Address: astatine.typefrag.com
    Port: 4670
    Password:  FUAROCK

The following servers are used by AR15.com for Vent:
    Free Lunch Vent Server
    Hostname:  strontium.typefrag.com
    Port:  5559
    Password:  none

Twelvepack's Vent Server
    Hostname:  v98.darkstarllc.com
    Port:  4162
    Password:  none

Ask around in the in-game clan chat.  I'm sure there are some other TS3 and Vent servers guys are using that aren't listed here.

• How do I get a detailed layout of my stats, kills per AFV, efficiency, etc.?

There are a number of different ways to view this information outside of the regular Statistics page in-game.  The first and easiest for most folks are the official World of Tanks smartphone applications listed above.  They will give you basically the same information as the in-game Statistics page with the addition of allowing you to directly compare your stats against any other player.

There are a number of stat tracking sites like Tank-Tracker.com, Tanks.OfScience.net, NoobMeter.com, etc.  However, these sites seem to pop up quickly and within a couple of months disappear.  One of the popular theories is that their data mining on the WoT server farms creates what WG.net perceives as unnecessary traffic and are eventually blocked at the perimeter security.  Hence their short lifespan.

If you're looking for just your Efficiency Rating (calculated from some magic formula of kills, capture points, defense points, etc.) take a look at WoT-News.com.  Yes, it's in Russian but the calculator portion should already be translated.  Just make sure to change the drop down list next to where you enter your username to the US server instead of the default European server.

For probably the most in depth analysis use the World of Tanks Dossier Tool.  It allows you to upload the dossier of your account that's stored on your computer and is a statistician's wet dream.  It's a complete breakdown of every AFV you've been behind the wheel of, how much damage you did, what you killed, hit ratio, capture points, medals, awards, etc.

Finally, there are two great applications: WoT Statistics created by Nsaaiman on the European server and WoT Logger 2, created by Gottzila also on the European server.  They both run in the background while you've got the client running and records relevant statistics to a local database.  You can then view the results to a ridiculous amount of detail:

WoT Statistics

WoT Logger 2

Results can be broken down by specific vehicle class, AFV model, or even individual battles.  And WoT Statistics allows you to create custom graphs for specific time periods.

Link Posted: 10/5/2010 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#1]

hmm

whats the game play like?  are you playing the game from inside the tank or is it from an aerial perspective?

Link Posted: 10/5/2010 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

hmm

whats the game play like?  are you playing the game from inside the tank or is it from an aerial perspective?

Curious about that myself. I havent tried it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Has potential.  Hope they can pull it off.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#4]
It is pretty cool, it will be pretty good once it comes out.

-beta tester
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks cool

Link Posted: 10/5/2010 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#6]

edit, just saw the video above

Link Posted: 10/5/2010 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Consider this a tag.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#8]

edit, nvrmnd just saw the vid above.

Link Posted: 10/5/2010 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#9]
currently in the beta

its very arcadey but still tremendous fun

armor penetration is modeled, not sure if it's entirely historically accurate but i doubt it is because of gameplay considerations, but lets just say noob tanks can't blow up tigers.

There are ahistorical aspects to the game, for variety and gameplay purposes. For example if you have a KV-1 you can get the KV-2 turret and a 107mm gun, a combination i'm not sure actually existed.

Or my current tank , a Tiger I with the 88mm L/71 gun, a combination i know did not , and could not , exist.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks pretty cool.

87th Arfcom Armored Army?
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Freaking cool  

Link Posted: 10/5/2010 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Looks like it's 'adjustable'

The main mode is the third person view with four scales of remoteness from your tank and possibility to freely rotate the camera around the vehicle. The game also features the sniper mode for tanks and the “howitzer” mode for long-range artillery. Moving your tank is implemented by standard WSAD+Mouse controls. There’s also a “cruise control” mode for going forward and backward on various speeds which can be engaged by R and F buttons.

Link Posted: 10/5/2010 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#13]
downloaded the beta, played it for a bit. neat, but not enough to keep me interested
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah - if this game is any good, sign me up for the Arfcom guild. We will terrorize the 80%ers on our server!
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Tag
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll probably try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZGsUa5Nqos

(ETA)  I want a sports car so I can play dodge the tank.  

Trailer #4
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I LOVE the sceen  of the starfighter gettn it!!  I Lol'd
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

currently in the beta

its very arcadey but still tremendous fun

armor penetration is modeled, not sure if it's entirely historically accurate but i doubt it is because of gameplay considerations, but lets just say noob tanks can't blow up tigers.

There are ahistorical aspects to the game, for variety and gameplay purposes. For example if you have a KV-1 you can get the KV-2 turret and a 107mm gun, a combination i'm not sure actually existed.

Or my current tank , a Tiger I with the 88mm L/71 gun, a combination i know did not , and could not , exist.

IIRC armour thickness is mainly modeled on historical accuracy, but this has raised balance questions.  Tiger1s have about 120mm unsloped frontal armour, which can be easily penetrated by many things.  Speed is not historically accurate.

Gunsets are not historically accurate.  They usually have the historical gunset, with a bunch of non accurate guns.

I've been playing for a while.  I have an IS7 researched (have an IS4 since IS7 costs too damn much), T44, SU8, and leopard.

Link Posted: 10/5/2010 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'll probably try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZGsUa5Nqos

(ETA)  I want a sports car so I can play dodge the tank.  

Trailer #4

You can get light tanks, which are nice and fast and play dodge the tank shells

Link Posted: 10/5/2010 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

hmm

The gameplay isn't that good, I tried the beta.

Its very basic deathmatch/capture hold stuff.

The gameplay comes down to holding down the trigger and hitpoints. Armor doesn't seem to be modeled.

Overall I got bored very quickly. It might have a lot of vehicles, but they all play the same.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Looks like it has potential but the last MMO that had potential that did parody trailers like that sucked and was DOA days after the release.
I'm talking about Global Agenda.

Link Posted: 10/5/2010 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hmm

The gameplay isn't that good, I tried the beta.

Its very basic deathmatch/capture hold stuff.

The gameplay comes down to holding down the trigger and hitpoints. Armor doesn't seem to be modeled.

Overall I got bored very quickly. It might have a lot of vehicles, but they all play the same.

Its still in beta.

Armour is modeled.  At lower levels, armour is so low that it doesnt matter.  At medium and higher levels, armour is very evident.  Angle of armour is modeled too.

Lights, mediums and heavies have much different gameplay.  Heavies are slow as hell but (usually) can take a hit.  Reload is slow as well.  Mediums and lights can easily circle heavies and kill them, since heavies often can't turn their turret fast enough.  Tanks have weak rears, so you can just keep smacking them in their rear.  Thus, heavies need the support of mediums in order to do well.  Lights are mainly used for scouting and killing arty.  You can easily kill tank destroyers in lights.

Then you have Tank Destroyers and Self Propelled Guns (arty).  TDs aim faster and reload faster than tanks, and usually have better frontal armour but weak side and rears.  They are pretty much snipers.  Shoot their tracks and they are pretty much fucked.  Since they have no turrets, you can circle them easily in mediums and lights.  SPGs do a ton of damage but reload very slowly and have a tiny amount of health.

Link Posted: 10/5/2010 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#23]

I put my application in.

Link Posted: 10/5/2010 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I just applied for status in the beta. I'm not much of a gamer but if arfcom has an armored division, I want in it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Surprisingly capable gun stabilisation systems, it seems.

NTM
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like it's 'adjustable'

The main mode is the third person view with four scales of remoteness from your tank and possibility to freely rotate the camera around the vehicle. The game also features the sniper mode for tanks and the “howitzer” mode for long-range artillery. Moving your tank is implemented by standard WSAD+Mouse controls. There’s also a “cruise control” mode for going forward and backward on various speeds which can be engaged by R and F buttons.

i'm downloading the beta right now, should be done in a couple hours.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2010 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Been playing it for about a month with some friends, its pretty fun (especially now that i have an IS).

oh, and you guys applying for it on their website, don't bother, just go to

MMORPG (8462 keys as of post)

OnRPG (says they have about 4157 keys left, dunno how often it is updated)
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#28]
found it to be a run and gun arcade match more than anything, not really interested in long term.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 2:10:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Im beta testing it. I have only been playing a few weeks. Its ok, it is not a simulator style game. Im only playing to bide my time until release of Black Ops.

It is much more fun when you can squad up with a friend and play while on comms with a few people. Then you will actually use some teamwork, that in itself makes it more enjoyable. Is it a game worth buying? Possibly if it isnt a 60 dollar game......
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 2:18:35 AM EDT
[#30]
If I can run a Pzkpfw II Ausf L (Luchs) it might have to be the 87th Arfcom Panzer Division.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 2:21:38 AM EDT
[#31]

The Luchs gets pretty damn fun when its got an upgraded engine and tracks.  Small and fast.

It sucks bad stock

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 2:25:57 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The Luchs gets pretty damn fun when its got an upgraded engine and tracks.  Small and fast.  

It sucks bad stock

Cool!  The Luchs has always been my favorite WW2 German tank.

I'll start practicing "Panzerlied".
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 2:57:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It sucks bad stock

Cool!  The Luchs has always been my favorite WW2 German tank.  

I'll start practicing "Panzerlied".

The Luchs line ends with the Leopard.  Its a very short line, but its very fun.  Small and fast tanks that are hard to hit, but low on armour and with a small gun.  Its great fun trolling SPGs and TDs with them.

If you are in a small tank and you have a friend in a small tank, and you are both fighting a big tank like a maus or something, you can block him by sitting in front and behind him.  This effectively neutralises him since he wont be able to move lol.

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Im beta testing it. I have only been playing a few weeks. Its ok, it is not a simulator style game. Im only playing to bide my time until release of Black Ops.

It is much more fun when you can squad up with a friend and play while on comms with a few people. Then you will actually use some teamwork, that in itself makes it more enjoyable. Is it a game worth buying? Possibly if it isnt a 60 dollar game......

I think the game's going to be free
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Been playing it for about a month with some friends, its pretty fun (especially now that i have an IS).

oh, and you guys applying for it on their website, don't bother, just go to Gamespot and pick up a key.

I just tried it. It told me that they're out of keys.

Found one elsewhere on the internet
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh, and you guys applying for it on their website, don't bother, just go to Gamespot and pick up a key.

that sucks, was gonna try playing tonight

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can find keys elsewhere if you look.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Signed up for beta last night about 11 pm and had an email with a key at 4 am. Been playing today. Seems pretty fun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here are a couple other sites

MMORPG (8462 keys as of post)

OnRPG (says they have about 4157 keys left, dunno how often it is updated)

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Got my code, installing now.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Might have to try this.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Says on the site that infantry will be implemented later on. That sounds awesome.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Says on the site that infantry will be implemented later on. That sounds awesome.

I think they just haven't ruled infantry out yet, but i doubt they'd add it anytime soon.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think they just haven't ruled infantry out yet, but i doubt they'd add it anytime soon.

IIRC its doubtful they will add infantry.

Beta is supposed to end in a few months, but I think it will probably be early next yr.

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I disapprove of their portrayal of EvE Online
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#46]
I need a good tank game...
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#47]
not a tag
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Dling now.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Gonan have to fire up the Windows Box for this.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Reminiscent of WW2 Online
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 416
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top