Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/11/2010 12:26:00 PM EDT

Was greatly intrigued with one at the funshow today.

May pick one up at the next show if the price is right and depending on reviews, experience etc.

Anyone have one?

Do tell!

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Anyone?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#2]
complete

piece

of

garbage.

All my friends warned me about DPMS' piss poor quality control.  

But,

hey,

I thought,

they're a big company,

been around for years,

so they must be putting out quality products.

So I bought a new one.

Not happy that I got a 19rnd and a 10rnd mag instead of two 19rndrs.   The case still had the factory tamper-proof seals on it.

My pile of parts would group 6" with match ammo at 100 yards, on a bench rest, with other shooters doing no better.   The chamber was seriously messed up,with sharp groves that would grab the shell casing and cause numerous FTEs.    Along with magazines that would contribute to frequent jams, and a trigger worse than any firearm or power tool I've ever owned, It quickly became the 2nd worst firearm I've ever bought.   I do not believe the factory ever test fired the rifle.

I bought just after Obummer got elected, when DPMS customer service virtually disappeared.  

I took a $450 loss on that POS.

Stay turned, the DPMS koolaid drinkers will be here shortly.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
complete

piece

of

garbage.

But,

hey,

I thought,

they're a big company,

been around for years,

So I bought a new one.

Not happy that I got a 19rnd and a 10rnd mag instead of two 19rndrs.   The case still had the factory tamper-proof seals on it.

My pile of parts would group 6" with match ammo at 100 yards, on a bench rest, with other shooters doing no better.   The chamber was seriously messed up,with sharp groves that would grab the shell casing and cause numerous FTEs.    Along with magazines that would contribute to frequent loading jams, It quickly became the 2nd worst firearm I've ever bought.   I do not believe the factory ever test fired the rifle.

I bought just after Obummer got elected, when DPMS customer service virtually disappeared.  

But the mags are cheaper than ArmaLite AR10 mags!

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Interesting.

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Interesting.

Anyone else?
I have a buddy with one, he loves it.

My AP4 has been 100% thus far.

Seems people either love them or hate them....

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#6]

I'm gonna bump this for the night crew and read it in the morning. Hopefully there's more people with experience with this gun.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:11:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Not with that gun, but my DPMS 16 Lite has worked flawlessly with all ammo since day one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#8]
dpms lr-308 I got is a PIECE OF CRAP!

Just kidding, it shoots everytime and pretty accurate.  Looks great and my cop buddy wants one now.  Anything that may be wrong with it can be upgraded or replaced.  Its not like they are whittled out of a solid chunk of aluminum and you are stuck with what you have.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got a stock AP4 that is accurate and reliable.   The rifle will shoot FGMM into sub 1" at 100yds with boring regularity.   I have another but the only parts DPMS made are the receivers and carrier so I guess I cant go into that one.

Buy some of the Magpul magazines and you're good to go.   Personally though I'd rather go to a 20" barrel so you can get out a bit further and take advantage of the .308s longer legs.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#10]
My is not a 308 but has run great for thousands of rounds. I was really green when I bought it and didn't belong to AR15. It wasn't until I joined that I knew about all the hate. If I knew what I know now I would do it differently but honestly I have had great luck with it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Brother had one never had a problem.

sold it and bought a different model DPMS .308.

Anytime you ask about DPMS you are going to have a couple people who say they are total piles of shit and 10 people that have never had a problem with them.  If I was using an AR platform for my job would I get a DPMS?  No, but I think they are decent rifles.

Norris
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not with that gun, but my DPMS 16 Lite has worked flawlessly with all ammo since day one.

same here !.......for 685.00 ...very clean gun..
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a LR-308 and love it.  It's very accurate and I have had no problems.
I would and have recommended them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

complete
piece
of
garbage.

But,

hey,

I thought,

they're a big company,

been around for years,

So I bought a new one.
Not happy that I got a 19rnd and a 10rnd mag instead of two 19rndrs. The case still had the factory tamper-proof seals on it.

My pile of parts would group 6" with match ammo at 100 yards, on a bench rest, with other shooters doing no better. The chamber was seriously messed up,with sharp groves that would grab the shell casing and cause numerous FTEs. Along with magazines that would contribute to frequent loading jams, It quickly became the 2nd worst firearm I've ever bought. I do not believe the factory ever test fired the rifle.

But the mags are cheaper than ArmaLite AR10 mags!

So are the magpul ones that are flawless.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I see all kinds of DPMS hate here. A trusted gun shop near me sells DPMS guns and parts like nobody's business. He is as concerned about customer satisfaction as he is profit. If DPMS was as bad as a lot of folks here make them out to be, I'm sure he would not carry their product. My own experience with DPMS has been also positive one. IMO, they offer a great selection of discount priced gear. For the beginner/plinker/fun shooter, we should be glad that such companies exist. I can't afford top shelf and after shooting a few "better" (more expensive) brands, I can't tell a nickle's worth of difference. Of course, I'm not a competeition shooter either, but for my needs, DPMS does just fine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I've got a stock AP4 that is accurate and reliable.   The rifle will shoot FGMM into sub 1" at 100yds with boring regularity.   I have another but the only parts DPMS made are the receivers and carrier so I guess I cant go into that one.

Buy some of the Magpul magazines and you're good to go.   Personally though I'd rather go to a 20" barrel so you can get out a bit further and take advantage of the .308s longer legs.

I got a FAL for reaching out.

But the sportical at that price was beckoning me.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Puchased mine in early 2008 and took about 11 months to come in (through our local firearms dealer).  DPMS .308 LRT - I have never had a problem with it.  Well made, shoots great and will consume any ammo I put through it.  Came standard with an 18" barrel - would rather a 20 - 22" but it does exactly what it was designed to do.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I also have a FAL but for reaching out the LR308 is in an entirely different league.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I also have a FAL but for reaching out the LR308 is in an entirely different league.  

Indeed it is.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:03:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Bump for day crew.

Any last info or direction to more info would be great. Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I have an LR308 AP4 that I hunt with it and I love it.

I've never had a problem with it.

It shoots great, and functions flawlessly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't have a 308 DPMS, but for the most part my DPMS Panther-Lite has been a good rifle. It started acting funny when it needed gas rings (Short-stroking) and it never really has liked steel cased ammo,  but any brass I put through it functions flawlessly, and it's plenty accurate for my tastes.  It seemed to be built well too––-super tight tolerances everywhere, but takes all kinds of mags without hesitation either.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I just got a DPMS LR 308 and am taking it to the range for the first time on Friday. So I will find out soon enough.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
complete

My pile of parts would group 6" with match ammo at 100 yards, on a bench rest, with other shooters doing no better.   The chamber was seriously messed up,with sharp groves that would grab the shell casing and cause numerous FTEs.    Along with magazines that would contribute to frequent jams, and a trigger worse than any firearm or power tool I've ever owned, It quickly became the 2nd worst firearm I've ever bought.   I do not believe the factory ever test fired the rifle.

DPMS does not have "tamper proof" seals on the rifles we ship, nor do we send the rifles with 10 and 19 rnd mags. It is either 2 19 rnds mags or 2 10 rnd mags depending on where it is shipping to.

Nice theory,

That is some seriously strong koolaid.

Here’s reality...

I still have the factory shipping case...

And here it is...

Now, if ya look reeeeeeal close at one end,   you can see a factory seal, deliberately placed smack dab over the seam of the two-piece case.   Now, that was done to show if anyone, besides the buyer, had opened the case.   That seal was intact when I received the rifle.
Perhaps you have some other euphemism for “tamper-proof” that the rest of us aren’t familiar with?

Yes, I did black out parts of the bar code.   Sorry, but I find the fanaticism, with which your PR department denies reality, quite disturbing.

And if you look back at the open case, you’ll see that seal was placed on the end where the two mags were packed.   Which suggests to me, the 10 rounder was a factory “mistake”.   That mag is still with the case.  It cost me another $50 to buy a replacement, due to the election time price hikes.   I seriously doubt the distributor made a swap.   I have had several conversations with them, a small family operation, and they were the most honest, helpful people I’ve dealt with in many years.   They offered to send me a 19 rounder, free,  when they could obtain one, but I declined, because I didn’t feel it was their mistake.  I’ll assume it was a mistake.   I hope no one at the factory was substituting 10s for 19s, so they could resell the 19s for $50+.

And here’s another case.

An unfired .308 case.    I lightly bead-blasted this, placed it in the chamber and rotated it to discover  what was causing the cases to stick.   The bright rings tell the story.    I later used a sophisticated borescope to inspect the chamber, and confirmed raised circular ridges inside.   That explained the Failures to Extract.  I tried inserting a fired case, but it required a hammer to get it into the chamber.    I spent hours, with various grades of sandpaper glued to empty cases, to sand down the ridges.    Perhaps your machining department should consider more frequent replacement of chamber reamers.  

The Failures to Feed were attributed by many, to poorly designed mags.   And I believe your company was exchanging them for better functioning ones.    I bought six new mags, and got five lemons, all causing FTFs.

I tried contacting your company about the wrong mag, the faulty mags, the messed up chamber, and the poor accuracy, but the manufacturing frenzy created by the election apparently required customer service to pull other duties instead.   Phone calls got voicemail with a request to leave a message (never returned) and your website had a message plastered over it stating you were unable to respond to email at that time.   That message stayed up for at least a few weeks.
I know your company denied this previously, but I did take a screen shot of your web page.  If I find it, I’ll post it here.

Do you realize, that every time you make a blanket denial post, the credibility of your company takes another step deeper into the crapper?   Do a search of this site and others.   The problems with your rifles and mags are now very well documented.

Maybe your CEO should make a phone call to Ed Avila, and have this thread vaporized, before anyone else reads it, or copies it to another website.   Whoops!,  too late.  

in-teg-ri-ty [ in tégg ri tee ]  
 1. possession of firm principles: the quality of possessing and steadfastly adhering to high moral principles or professional standards.   In western ethics, integrity is regarded as the quality of having an intuitive sense of honesty and truthfulness in regard to the motivations for one's actions.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:10:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

complete

SNIP

1. possession of firm principles: the quality of possessing and steadfastly adhering to high moral principles or professional standards.   In western ethics, integrity is regarded as the quality of having an intuitive sense of honesty and truthfulness in regard to the motivations for one's actions.
WOW tag for answer

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I love my 5.56.. I've ran it like a dog and never had problems. Most hate is Internet hype from people thats never owned one. My buddy has a .308 and never had any problems either.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Jeez...

I've heard about the quality control issues, but that's some story.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ok.  I'm in.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#30]
in on this one
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I sell um

been a mixed bag

moved a metric shit load of them and remingtons during the 08 post election season

seems to be either flawless tack drivers or absolute hunks of shit

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Oh my.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#33]
OSI

My 5.56 Sportical has had no problems whatsoever and will group brown bear into 1.5". With good ammo, who knows yet. That will come soon enough and I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Hmm
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I love my 5.56.. I've ran it like a dog and never had problems. Most hate is Internet hype from people thats never owned one. My buddy has a .308 and never had any problems either.

Fascinating statement.

Care to enlighten us with the scientific research that brought you to that conclusion?

Perhaps cut it down to 20 pages, and keep it in layman's terms, so we can follow your logic easily.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I picked up a DPMS .308 sportical on Labor Day, and got around to shooting it last weekend.  Awesome fun, no FTF's, no FTE's, but the trigger was shit.  Pull wasn't bad, around 6.5lbs, but really, really gritty.  Had a local guy work on the trigger and it's great now.

After seeing that picture of the brass, I just pulled out the brass I shot on Sunday (20 of em), and every single one of them does have a little gash in the case.  No idea if it's normal or not, as I've never bothered to collect my brass before.  I took a pretty good look at the bore when it was apart for the trigger work, and I didn't see any burrs or other issues.

I've been happy, it's getting a bunch of new stuff put on it to make me even more happy, and I've had to call DPMS with questions twice now and both times Mark W has been *extremely* helpful, moreso than I expected or deserved.

ETA: Monarch 150gr softpoints, range we were going to doesn't allow FMJ on the rifle range.  They don't take credit cards either, we're not going back.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a buddy who has one. Great rifle, though the first thing I would do would be upgrading the trigger.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:16:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a 24 inch stainless lr308. never had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 12:19:43 AM EDT
[#39]
got a dpms lr308 from someone on the ee here and was told it had no issues, but the bolt catch doesn't. called dpms and talked to mark who said it wasn't a dpms rifle, just a stripped lower put together wrong, set screw on bolt catch needs to be properly set, no big deal just make sure its done by someone who knows what they are doing. so, at the range, sighted in with a new scope and ended up with consistant 1 moa with federal and black hills ammo. Nerf, was that alpine range?only 100 yards, wish i had somewhere in DFW to shoot farther.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 2:57:31 AM EDT
[#40]
I have the 24" SS LR308.
Purchased it second hand from a great guy who installed a Jewell trigger in it.
Shoots sub moa all day with good ammo.
Never had an issue and even purchased another one and sold to a friend. No issues there either.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:03:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
complete

DPMS does not have "tamper proof" seals on the rifles we ship, nor do we send the rifles with 10 and 19 rnd mags. It is either 2 19 rnds mags or 2 10 rnd mags depending on where it is shipping to.

Nice theory,

That is some seriously strong koolaid.

Here’s reality...

I still have the factory shipping case...

And here it is...

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p201/glerbbb/IMG_0048.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p201/glerbbb/IMG_0049.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p201/glerbbb/IMG_0050.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p201/glerbbb/IMG_0055.jpg

Now, if ya look reeeeeeal close at one end,   you can see a factory seal, deliberately placed smack dab over the seam of the two-piece case.   Now, that was done to show if anyone, besides the buyer, had opened the case.   That seal was intact when I received the rifle.
Perhaps you have some other euphemism for “tamper-proof” that the rest of us aren’t familiar with?

Yes, I did black out parts of the bar code.   Sorry, but I find the fanaticism, with which your PR department denies reality, quite disturbing.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p201/glerbbb/IMG_0051.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p201/glerbbb/IMG_0052.jpg

And if you look back at the open case, you’ll see that seal was placed on the end where the two mags were packed.   Which suggests to me, the 10 rounder was a factory “mistake”.   That mag is still with the case.  It cost me another $50 to buy a replacement, due to the election time price hikes.   I seriously doubt the distributor made a swap.   I have had several conversations with them, a small family operation, and they were the most honest, helpful people I’ve dealt with in many years.   They offered to send me a 19 rounder, free,  when they could obtain one, but I declined, because I didn’t feel it was their mistake.  I’ll assume it was a mistake.   I hope no one at the factory was substituting 10s for 19s, so they could resell the 19s for $50+.

And here’s another case.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p201/glerbbb/IMG_0002.jpg

An unfired .308 case.    I lightly bead-blasted this, placed it in the chamber and rotated it to discover  what was causing the cases to stick.   The bright rings tell the story.    I later used a sophisticated borescope to inspect the chamber, and confirmed raised circular ridges inside.   That explained the Failures to Extract.  I tried inserting a fired case, but it required a hammer to get it into the chamber.    I spent hours, with various grades of sandpaper glued to empty cases, to sand down the ridges.    Perhaps your machining department should consider more frequent replacement of chamber reamers.  

The Failures to Feed were attributed by many, to poorly designed mags.   And I believe your company was exchanging them for better functioning ones.    I bought six new mags, and got five lemons, all causing FTFs.

I tried contacting your company about the wrong mag, the faulty mags, the messed up chamber, and the poor accuracy, but the manufacturing frenzy created by the election apparently required customer service to pull other duties instead.   Phone calls got voicemail with a request to leave a message (never returned) and your website had a message plastered over it stating you were unable to respond to email at that time.   That message stayed up for at least a few weeks.
I know your company denied this previously, but I did take a screen shot of your web page.  If I find it, I’ll post it here.

Do you realize, that every time you make a blanket denial post, the credibility of your company takes another step deeper into the crapper?   Do a search of this site and others.   The problems with your rifles and mags are now very well documented.

Maybe your CEO should make a phone call to Ed Avila, and have this thread vaporized, before anyone else reads it, or copies it to another website.   Whoops!,  too late.  

Gotta say, backed up his original post pretty dang well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:47:26 AM EDT
[#42]
I've got the AP4 and not the sportical. It's been reliable although somewhat picky on ammo.
I would purchase one again.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:18:59 AM EDT
[#43]
OP buy a Armalite for peace of mind. The DPMS sounds like a gamble. And resale sucks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:19:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Sounds like you got a Lemon. The post here sound more positive than negative by a fairly large number. I think with any product a bad one slips through the cracks now and then. I guess the Beef would be is that there not standing behind the product but other posters are saying the CS is very helpful.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:28:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sounds like you got a Lemon. The post here sound more positive than negative by a fairly large number. I think with any product a bad one slips through the cracks now and then. I guess the Beef would be is that there not standing behind the product but other posters are saying the CS is very helpful.

Are we reading the same thread? Sounds to me that DPMS is a gamble
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:52:03 AM EDT
[#46]
I have the LR308 AP-4 and it has been a good rifle so far. The only issues with it are a couple of bad magazines.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:20:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are we reading the same thread? Sounds to me that DPMS is a gamble

O.K fair enough. There is one really bad review vs 50 good ones so.....Mines been great.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm gonna go ahead and jump in on this one... DAMN

Nice reply GAU5-A-A
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:38:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
got a dpms lr308 from someone on the ee here and was told it had no issues, but the bolt catch doesn't. called dpms and talked to mark who said it wasn't a dpms rifle, just a stripped lower put together wrong, set screw on bolt catch needs to be properly set, no big deal just make sure its done by someone who knows what they are doing. so, at the range, sighted in with a new scope and ended up with consistant 1 moa with federal and black hills ammo. Nerf, was that alpine range?only 100 yards, wish i had somewhere in DFW to shoot farther.

Garland public range.  I had to go in twice to buy something.  Once for a spotting scope, I sat around for about 5 minutes while the 2 people behind the counter utterly ignored me - one was talking to some guy about his hog hunting trip, the other was doing something with a calculator.  Went back in at the next ceasefire to buy some fresh targets, and stood there with my wallet out and cash in my hand until they called the range hot.

I've been told that Elm Fork has a 400 yard range, it's a $15 range fee instead of a $10, but it's closer and I'm just sick of dealing with people who really don't want my fucking money.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
OP buy a Armalite for peace of mind. The DPMS sounds like a gamble. And resale sucks.

That's what I would (will, eventually) do.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top