Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/11/2010 12:32:20 AM EDT
Is fucking stupid It may as well be non-existent. I'm sure some people here could pull it off because of facial differences, but for the majority of people they look like either pedos, or a nazi. Spent a half hour trimming mine to regs. It doesn't look terrible, but I'm sure I'm within a hair of being out of regs. I'm no Lt. Col., so I can't get away with a bushy out of regs stache'
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:33:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:34:16 AM EDT
[#2]
There were a bunch of girls in our shop last year that used to joke that the Army regs pretty much outlawed anything but the "molester stache"  Funny as hell.....
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:35:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I just need a set of aviators and I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:56:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:37:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it was sometime around the turn of the last century, maybe a bit later, when the regs were changed regarding facial hair to what they are now.  Back then soldiers could have facial hair so long as it was conservative, in a mainstream style (nothing crazy), was well-maintained, kept neat, etc., and was in a natural hair colour and anything not being grown or already grown out had to be kept clean-shaven.  You also were allowed somewhat longer hair, like what Navy regs allow.  The Navy was the last holdout on the facial hair (my friend has a picture of his great-grandfather in uniform in the 1950s and he had a handlebar mustache with a goatee).  I believe they briefly prohibited it and then Zumwalt brought it back and then it went away again in the 1980s.  Some militaries still do allow facial hair for regular units (as opposed to special operations type forces), especially naval forces (navies, coast guards, marine corps, etc.).
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:58:49 AM EDT
[#6]
They should allow beards. Beards are manly.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:07:23 AM EDT
[#7]
how does don't ask don't tell work with stashes?

i mean isn't that like walking around with a lisp and saying everything is super?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:10:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm sure some people here could pull it off because of facial differences, but for the majority of people they look like either pedos, or a nazi.

Not everyone can be as awesome a Michael Biehn.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:13:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:23:29 AM EDT
[#10]
post a pic OP
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:25:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe you should trim it down to a boxcar mustache. It's within regs. Just tell them you admired Charlie Chaplin as a child.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:27:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I grew up in the Army.  Milspec 'staches surrounded me, it was the 'Nam era.       This caused me a bit of confusion and some misunerstandings when i joined the Navy and found myself stationed just north of San Francisco...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Anything above a horizontal line drawn from corner to corner of the mouth should be allowed.  I absolutely can't stand the USAF/USA mustache regs.  I only ever grow one on deployment, when I can grow it well out of regs without too much hassle.  Mine is blonde and halfway invisible anyway, so it's not like most people would even notice.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:52:23 AM EDT
[#14]
The Coast Guard had beards until the 80's.  Then a new Commandant came in that was a Mormon and didnt like beards or the type of white t-shirts that we wore under our dress shirt.  All kinds of fucked up rules were put in place because of a religous nut.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to have one, but it looked like it Hitler 'stache.  I've been clean-shaven for over 10 years.

I remember reading something about the combat 'stache during OIF/OEF deployments.  Was that an isolated incident or is it a common occurance?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:04:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Army regs on facial hair are silly and antiquated. I don't understand how a beard would make me less effective at killing mujaheddin. We pretty much have grooming standards left over from the 1950's. Can some one explain how a flat-topped high & tight isn't faddish? It certainly isn't conservative or professional looking to anybody born in the last 40 years.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:10:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I used to have one, but it looked like it Hitler 'stache.  I've been clean-shaven for over 10 years.

I remember reading something about the combat 'stache during OIF/OEF deployments.  Was that an isolated incident or is it a common occurance?

Mine wasn't in regs too often
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Army regs on facial hair are silly and antiquated. I don't understand how a beard would make me less effective at killing mujaheddin. We pretty much have grooming standards left over from the 1950's. Can some one explain how a flat-topped high & tight isn't faddish? It certainly isn't conservative or professional looking to anybody born in the last 40 years.

The regs are designed to make it easier for a combat surgeon to treat facial wounds.  Medics and surgeons are usually in a hurry.

No hair on the lip?  Stitch or staple it.

Hair on lip?  Cut off lip and staple it.  

So I was told in Airborne School, way back in 1979.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I grew mine out on this deployment, and sure enough there was someone that had to say something about it being out of regs.  It was very close to being in regs, but rules are rules.  So I trimmed it up to a toothbrush.

AMI
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I grew one on deployment just long enough to see how retarded it looked.

I wouldn't have even tried here at home where normal people might see me
TL nails it again:

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The regs are designed to make it easier for a combat surgeon to treat facial wounds.  Medics and surgeons are usually in a hurry.

I think it may actually have to do with the wearing of gas or other similar types of masks.  Facial hair can interfere with a proper seal in some cases.  Personally, I think if your job does not require the use of one you should be gtg or if you an demonstrate your style doesn't interfere you should be gtg as well.  There may be other reasons, though.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Standard for 2D Cav Aviators
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I remember reading something about the combat 'stache during OIF/OEF deployments. Was that an isolated incident or is it a common occurance?

Here's the article from last year:

http://www.stripes.com/news/soldiers-iraq-staches-pay-lip-service-to-machismo-1.88707

Soldiers’ ‘Iraq ’staches’ pay lip service to machismo

By Steve Mraz

Stars and Stripes

Published: March 1, 2009

PATROL BASE TAHWEELA, Iraq — Soldiers out of Grafenwöhr, Germany, have added something new to the face of U.S. military power during their current deployment to Iraq — the moustache.

The moustache has become a fashion sensation among soldiers at Forward Operating Base Hammer and Patrol Base Tahweela.

Enlisted soldiers and officers with the 3rd Battalion, 66th Armor, and Company A, 1st Battalion, 2nd Infantry Regiment sport moustaches — or as they’re better known here, the "combat ’stache" or the "Iraq ’stache."

Some moustaches are thin, raggedy looking things that resemble shredded felt. Others are full, thick testosterone-fueled testaments to masculinity. It’s as if their owners are declaring their machismo from the mountaintop of their upper lip.

Mostly, the lip slugs are grown and groomed downrange for humor and camaraderie. Staff Sgt. Michael Bezdziecki’s full-bodied, rounded moustache has people telling him he looks like the guy on the front of the Pringles potato chip cans. And it’s because he does.

Sgt. 1st Class David Jones had never grown a moustache. But after caving to peer pressure, he proudly wears one now. His wife can’t stand it, so he’ll have to shave it before he redeploys.

First Lt. Lucas Barger, who also will likely lose the moustache when he heads home, hates the way his growth looks.

"It’s the Iraq ’stache," he said. "You gotta grow it. My girl hates the ’stache. So when you’re gone, and she’s not around, you grow it."

Growing moustaches downrange is just boys being boys, said 1st Lt. Javier Avila.

"We cut loose a little bit," he said. "We keep it in [regulations] as much as possible. It’s time to be boys. Most of these guys are young and they don’t grow ’staches out, so why not give it a shot?"

The dark stubble on Pfc. Ashraf Yasin’s upper lip is what will become his moustache soon. He’s growing it out to "look cool," he said.

"I gotta fit in with my brothers," he said. "When you go to Iraqi army camps and they see you with ’staches, they think it’s pretty sweet."

Sgt. Louis Scharf had a deployment ’stache but accidentally shaved it off a few weeks ago because he’s so used to shaving his whole face.

But don’t you risk looking like a creepy, unseemly sort with a sickly ’stache?

"If it’s sickly, yes," Scharf said. "But if you grow it full and mesmerizing, people stare, and they’re like, ‘Wow. That guy has one heck of a moustache.’ "

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Robin Olds:

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#26]
"If it’s sickly, yes," Scharf said. "But if you grow it full and
mesmerizing, people stare, and they’re like, ‘Wow. That guy has one heck
of a moustache.’ "

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

"If it’s sickly, yes," Scharf said. "But if you grow it full and mesmerizing, people stare, and they’re like, ‘Wow. That guy has one heck of a moustache.’ "

FUCKING LOL

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Hahaha holy shit that moustache is fuckin epic!

I bet if he ever went down in the forest/jungle, he could saw down trees and build a log cabin with that thing!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Police that moo-stache!  You're starting to look like Elvises!

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is much easier to mask ventilate someone who doesn't have facial hair. Navy Nurse Anesthetists and Anesthesiologists would in years past frequently order Sailors to shave their beards etc. prior to their scheduled surgery.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what's the procedure for a scalp wound? Why are we allowed hair at all?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#32]
My ginger-stache looks like ass.  Either way, it would probably last 3 days before my PSG and SLs held me down and shaved it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The regs are designed to make it easier for a combat surgeon to treat facial wounds. Medics and surgeons are usually in a hurry.

No hair on the lip? Stitch or staple it.

Hair on lip? Cut off lip and staple it.

It is much easier to mask ventilate someone who doesn't have facial hair. Navy Nurse Anesthetists and Anesthesiologists would in years past frequently order Sailors to shave their beards etc. prior to their scheduled surgery.

This is very, very true.  As an anesthesiolgist, I loathe facial hair for dealing with an airway.  

I'm not .mil, but actually wrote in a patient's chart (after a nearly impossible ICU reintubation complicated by a Santa Claus beard/stache): "STRONGLY recommend shaving patient prior to considering extubation.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

So what's the procedure for a scalp wound?

They have to shave it before they stitch.

In my case, they run all over Balboa Naval hospital looking for a razor, and by the time they find one the novacaine has worn off so it hurts like hell

It would have been much easier if I had been bald.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:08:48 AM EDT
[#35]
If you're badass enough, regs don't apply to you:

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:25:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Just shave it the fuck off.
It's one more thing for the lifers to fuck with you about.  Really, don't you have anything else to deal with that's more important?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:32:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I almost caught a stroke laughing so hard. Man I wish they would put Generation Kill on HBO on demand

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:37:46 AM EDT
[#38]
I've seen chicks with more epic mustaches than me.

It is nice never having to worry about shaving before going to work.

No place for frozen boogers to hang onto either.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:42:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So what's the procedure for a scalp wound?

They have to shave it before they stitch.

In my case, they run all over Balboa Naval hospital looking for a razor, and by the time they find one the novacaine has worn off so it hurts like hell

It would have been much easier if I had been bald.

That was a rhetorical question, which would be more obvious without the snipped quote. Of course they shave the scalp, so why is it a bigger deal for the docs to have to shave the face before surgery? How often would it even be an issue? If the medical considerations are the reason for a ban on facial hair, why no ban on scalp hair?

The real answer isn't medical/surgery considerations or the seal of gas masks. It's an irrational and arbitrary opinion of the established military that a clean shaven, short haired man is what a soldier should look like. It's all very subjective and I happen to disagree with it. Of course, I still shave every day before work, cause changing that policy is well beyond my pay grade.

It's similar to the reflective PT belt situation. AR 670-1 doesn't say anything about the belts. They're intended as a safety measure to increase visibility to vehicles while running along roads during periods of darkness, yet they have become part of the uniform, regardless of visibility and whether or not the individual soldier is any where near traffic. We don't trust our soldiers to make a simple judgment call as to whether or not they should wear a reflective belt based of a common sense METT-TC analysis. So we go with the lowest common denominator and make ridiculous blanket rules. It is my philosophy that this mentality only yields a sub-optimal quality of soldier. People will rise to the responsibility bestowed upon them. If we treat them like children they'll act like children.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Don't feel so bad, you can still buy a pink shirt and drive a roadster.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:02:16 AM EDT
[#41]
My last day at my old reserve unit I showed up for formation with a fu man chu mustache. Boy were there a couple pissed off 2nd lewie's. My first sergent told them to STFU, it was my last drill with them. Skip was one cool guy. As First Sergents go, he was the best I had encountered
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

In ancient Greece, shaving was viewed as trying to emulate females and was pretty much advertising that you want a cock in your pooper. Beards are natural and manly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In ancient Greece, shaving was viewed as trying to emulate females and was pretty much advertising that you want a cock in your pooper. Beards are natural and manly.

That's pretty much exactly the way the Afghans look at it today.  But they are a bunch of goat and boy touchers....  

Cultures and times change.  Get with America 2010.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

"Gotta rock the Hitler."

"Looks good."

"It looked good on Hitler."
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Anything above a horizontal line drawn from corner to corner of the mouth should be allowed.  I absolutely can't stand the USAF/USA mustache regs.  I only ever grow one on deployment, when I can grow it well out of regs without too much hassle.  Mine is blonde and halfway invisible anyway, so it's not like most people would even notice.  

Yeah...about that...one of my buddies got a counseling statement for his 'stache being out of regs while we were in A'stan.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it may actually have to do with the wearing of gas or other similar types of masks.  Facial hair can interfere with a proper seal in some cases.  Personally, I think if your job does not require the use of one you should be gtg or if you an demonstrate your style doesn't interfere you should be gtg as well.  There may be other reasons, though.

I am hereby calling BS on the gas-mask reasoning, since there were those two guys with beards proscribed by their religion who were able to seal a gas mask, thus getting an exemption.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's pretty much exactly the way the Afghans look at it today.  But they are a bunch of goat and boy touchers....  

Cultures and times change.  Get with America 2010.

Which America? Lots of great Americans, past and present, sport beards. America 2010 is an America of choice. Some choose beards, some don't. I think it is the Army and other services that need to "get with America 2010" (this statement needs to be qualified - there are many ways that I don't think the military should go the way of the rest of the country).
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#48]
I was USAF but the reg is the same I believe...

Not to extend past the line of the lip nor the corners of the mouth...

Here is a pic from way back in the glory days A Buddy of mine calls it the "80's TV Cop Moustache" (TJ Hooker)

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#49]
I never could figure out why so many guys rocked the Nazi 'stache while I was in.

It would literally take less time to shave your entire face.

I also noticed that it seemed to be part of the membership package in the Warrant Officer Corps.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#50]
blacks and latinos can pull it off.
My warrant officer as a BMO had an awesome stache in regs (RIP Jonny)

White folks look like hitler.
sad fact.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top