Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Call the customer support number for what brand crock/slow cooker it is, they usually sell replacement liners for around $15.00. If it is a real cheap one, toss and get new one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#2]
pics in op
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry OP, that's a fatal break.  I don't think you'll be able to repair that one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#4]
A few drops of super glue ought to do the trick.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sorry OP, that's a fatal break.  I don't think you'll be able to repair that one.

Serious?

I mean it holds no pressure other than pickles.  You don't think JD or some other epoxy would be enough?

It goes back together tight and the angle of the break holds it in place.  I damn near think bubblegum would do it.

I figure I only got a one shot deal at it so I am trying to figure the best odds for it.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious?

I mean it holds no pressure other than pickles.  You don't think JD or some other epoxy would be enough?

It goes back together tight and the angle of the break holds it in place.  I damn near think bubblegum would do it.

I figure I only got a one shot deal at it so I am trying to figure the best odds for it.

The only way to really know for sure is to try it, but given that the break is at the center line, I think if you fill it, it'll likely re-open the crack.

I helped a friend make kimchi in a similar crock.  One of the ones we used was 'fixed' with crazy glue and dried in the sun after suffering a similar break.  It broke along the same crack lines just after filling.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious?

I would try silicone adhesive. Get the stuff that they use to bond aquariums together, and let it cure for a good long time before you fill it.

ETA:  Marine epoxy would probably work too, but it would be visible unless you are very careful.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#8]
So what is the proper term of what it is made out of?

Ceramic
Terracotta

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So what is the proper term of what it is made out of?

Ceramic
Terracotta

I would say ceramic.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Anymore crock experts out there?

I should call TRG, he is a wizz at these things.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
sorry to hear that.

<edited after clarification>

SYSTEM MESSAGE is not sure what to do about that.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#12]
5min Epoxy works and the easiest
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Ouch
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#14]
3M 5200 marine adhesive will fix the crap out of anything.  It's on the pricey side but it is amazing stuff.  You'll be putting those big pickles in your mouth again in no time.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#15]
just be careful that what you use is not toxic.  some of the stuff may make you real sick.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

just be careful that what you use is not toxic.  some of the stuff may make you real sick.

Yes, please don't try to put it back together with anthrax or bubonic plague.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
sorry to hear that.

<edited after clarification>]

SYSTEM MESSAGE is not sure what to do about that.

Finally got SYSTEM MESSAGE to divide by zero.

And again, leave it to the roaring uterus...
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I would put thin layer of 30 min expoy on the top of the part where it broke then mate it together and wipe the excessive off the side, if your careful it shouldnt squish out at all. then put good amount of 30 min expoy on the inside about 1 inch wide along side. it should hold it with dirt and planting pickles. But just importantly thing is to REMEMBER to NOT pick it up by the rim anymore, just lift it with the bottom. That should do the job, wont look good if someone looks inside but it will be filled with sod so who cares at least you still get to save it somehow.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

So no one has got an answer?

If my penis broke, and I had to glue it back together, I would just use some Gorilla Glue.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#20]
My brother broke his crock when he tripped and fell on it. I'm not sure how he got it fixed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Rock out with your crock out...
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow...DK had to edit out 9 posts by people who quoted something they shouldn't have
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Wow...DK had to edit out 9 posts by people who quoted something they shouldn't have

Including himself, if you didn't catch that

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
it will be filled with sod so who cares at least you still get to save it somehow.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I posted food grade epoxy on page 1.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I totally mis-read the title.  

Yep, me too

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Mine broke like that and I just filled it with concrete and chicken wire.  

No problems since.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#29]
GE makes a SS electronic programmable that wallyworld pimps out cheap
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#30]
OK, Ill ask the most obvious question. Why fix it when you can just buy another one?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, please don't try to put it back together with anthrax or bubonic plague.

Damn.  Now what should I do with all of this anthrax?

Last time I used it to glue envelopes shut...  Lets just say that didn't go over well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OK, Ill ask the most obvious question. Why fix it when you can just buy another one?

Have you priced large crocks?
I vote food grade epoxy and never lft it by the top.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:26:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Super Glue and lots of it
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
it will be filled with sod so who cares at least you still get to save it somehow.

http://somewhatsketchy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/crock-of.jpg

ooohhh I see now, didnt know you mean that you use it to store pickles in or maybe I didn't read it correct in the first place! well you could use clear epoxy and if done smoothly, it should be clear but you could still see it a litttle. If that bothers you then  you can find a flat paint that matches the color and paint over it. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#35]
my bride had a big old ceramic pot with a banna plant [or something] in it, under the carport. of course, i moved it [just a little] and dropped it too hard, and it cracked, broke, similar to your picture. i took the plant out, cleaned it fairly well, and gorilla glued it back together. this was a few years ago, and it's still holding. ––––––––––––––as an aside, i'd love to have one of the big crocks like yours, they are hard to find anymore.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#36]
I picked up this tonight.

You really think I need to worry about the food grade?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Including himself, if you didn't catch that

sure did...that would make it 10 as well. I was just too busy laughing at the "roaring uterus" comments to make an accurate post.

eta: then again I never saw the pic before it was deleted so from reading DK's post regarding SYSTEM MESSAGE it looked like at first he wasn't sure to remove it or not, then tbk1 decided and did it.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you priced large crocks?
I vote food grade epoxy and never lft it by the top.

Ya, so they are $135-250 depending on sizes from 2.5 gal to 5 gallons.I just did a Google search for large stonewear crocks.  Im sure the OP can swing that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:50:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'd say if it's not recommended for aquariums that some nasty shit seeps out of it.  I wouldn't put food near it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ya, so they are $135-250 depending on sizes from 2.5 gal to 5 gallons.I just did a Google search for large stonewear crocks.  Im sure the OP can swing that.

Been in the family a long time.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Word to the wise....   Stop playin with your grandpa's crock.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've actually got a couple of my great grandmother's crocks. They kind of smell funny and I'm not sure what to use them for.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've actually got a couple of my great grandmother's crocks. They kind of smell funny and I'm not sure what to use them for.

I'm bailing out of this thread before my crock gets in trouble.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It was on Grandma's side.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:27:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It says not for aquariums. I gotta wonder if it can harm fish due to toxins.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It says not for aquariums. I gotta wonder if it can harm fish due to toxins.

You wanna come over and fix my crock?

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
3M 5200 marine adhesive will fix the crap out of anything.  It's on the pricey side but it is amazing stuff.  You'll be putting those big pickles in your mouth again in no time.

I went with this.  After a brief discussion, it was decided no matter what the dangerous of exposure to it, this would not be in the end what kills me.

Next time I use gloves.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#48]
You could smear a thin film of silicone adhesive over the marine epoxy so the food doesn't touch it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top