Posted: 3/24/2001 5:22:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 4:03:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Phukin' A..
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 4:20:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Point well taken.

Quoted:
....people reading these posts that weren't middle-aged men used to a certain degree of coarseness.
View Quote

Have you recently been within earshot of unsupervised 10 year olds? Whew! They could give us all a lesson in the real meaning of coarseness.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 4:21:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't understand this, a lot of gun boards are doing this language thing, I just don't understand why we have to be so PC for the rest of the world, its an informal forum for us to ask questions and talk about problems, foul language doesn't bother me unless its directed at another person.

in other words, "this is f**ked up" is fine

but, "you are a F**king a**hole" is not.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 4:31:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Are people afraid that the Pre-12 kids are reading our posts and learning the 'bad' words?

Come on.  They're worse then the 'old folks' half the time.

Yes, I do agree that 'we' have to watch our posts. But at a moment of emotion, it's hard to type different then what's going through the brain.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 4:37:15 AM EDT
[#5]
What the #@$% does he mean.OHH my $#^%^^@ virgin ears.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 4:38:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 4:39:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey kaliburz 308 posts!Ilike that #.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#8]
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~thegardenweasel/_uimages/sucka.jpg[/img]

[size=4]LISTEN UP SUCKAS[/size=4]
I pity the foos that need to talk
trash..keep up yo' cussin' I'll have to
kick yo.....behind.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 4:43:30 AM EDT
[#9]
beekeeper1 very well said.i became accustomed to this on the old board and have tried to pratice this on other boards as well.with the exception ak47net.there are times when  i feel the need to censer a word or two.but you'll know what i meant. it's what i would say to you if we were sitting around having a beer together.time to watch the soprano's.mmk
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 5:08:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 5:18:20 AM EDT
[#11]
In real life I'm about the biggest gutter mouth there ever was and ever has been.

On the forums, not so much.  About the worst I'll say around here is occasionally "ass" or some word based upon that word.

If I use something else it's usually because I feel it clearly makes my point and the situation is neccesary, even then I'll usually put an asterisk or two in there to censor it out a bit.

Gun forums are where I am usually found to be the most civil.  In a chat room or some various other forums I'm much closer to what I'm like in real life.  In real life I will to some degree take into consideration the present company and edit the things I say depending on whether or not there are younger ears tuned into the conversation or maybe females that I actually consider to be genteel women who's feelings I value.

edited after mattja's post :)
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 5:19:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes I have to agree. Now I am one of the first ones to let rip with all the F's & everything else. I just don't do it when the whole world can look. I guess I am good at shutting it off because of my job I kinda have to in order to deal with some of my more impossible Patients. Boy I sure would like to mother them & then some. LOL
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
maybe females that I actually consider to be gentile women who's feelings I value.
View Quote

Same here, but I don't mind if they are Jewish.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 5:31:23 AM EDT
[#14]
yep, i'm a female.  =)

i appreciate the chivalry.  but i could make a sailor blush too.  so it doesn't really bother me.  but if we should stop, then i'll do my best.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 7:06:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I absolutely agree beekeeper and you should be commended for mentioning it. Though I don't believe in PC, I do agree that it is a matter of being civil on a public board.

Also, agree with Striker. We don't need to reinforce some peoples perceptions that we are "knuckle dragging neanderthals or gutter trash" There are anti lurkers here, and don't be surprised if somebody's posted anger or foul language shows up in the news media and reaffirmed when the readers check it out. It simply gives them ammunition that you have a temper or are ignorant and shouldn't have a gun(especially one of those "black plastic ones"). I am just as guilty as anybody else and am going to heed beekeepers words.

It isn't about PC for me, its just about not CONTRIBUTING to the bad press and pre-disposed mindsets we black plastic gun owners get.

When we are in person, I'll judge the situation and act accordingly. However, where the foul language is concerned, I'll try to act the same here as if my mother read this board. There is a time and a place.

MadMatt, madman kirk, uglygun, Medic08 thanks for your support of beekeeper. No offense to others and I respect your opinions too. Just think generally speaking he's got a point and its a good idea.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I use language like that sometimes...
but it slips out.
I think people need to realize that this board represents us. I can imagine HCI or the NY Times trying to use these forums against us.

Thanks for listening.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think it has more to do with portraying ourselves as knuckle dragging neanderthals or gutter trash.
View Quote

Ugggggg

Av8tor
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I am not here to cater to some little feces kids. It is just more pc bovine excrement.

If you don't like it then you can go copulate yourself.

Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Why are some words considered bad anyway i mean lets go to websters site and have fun!

Main Entry: fuck
Pronunciation: 'f&k
Function: verb
Etymology: akin to Dutch fokken to breed (cattle), Swedish dialect fokka to copulate
Date: 1503
intransitive senses
1 usually obscene : COPULATE -- sometimes used in the present participle as a meaningless intensive
2 usually vulgar : MESS
3 -- used with with transitive senses
1 usually obscene : to engage in coitus with -- sometimes used interjectionally with an object (as a personal or reflexive pronoun) to express anger, contempt, or disgust
2 usually vulgar : to deal with unfairly or harshly : CHEAT, SCREW
----------------------------------------------
Main Entry: shit
Pronunciation: 'shit, interjectionally also 'shE-&t
Function: noun
Etymology: (assumed) Middle English, from Old English scite; akin to Old English -scItan to defecate
Date: circa 1585
1 usually vulgar : EXCREMENT
2 usually vulgar : an act of defecation
3 usually vulgar : NONSENSE, CRAP
4 usually vulgar : any of several intoxicating or narcotic drugs; especially : HEROIN
5 usually vulgar : DAMN 2
6 usually vulgar : a worthless, offensive, or detestable person
- shit·ty /'shi-tE/ adjective, usually vulgar
------------------------------------------------
Main Entry: ass
Pronunciation: 'as
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English assa, probably from Old Irish asan, from Latin asinus
Date: before 12th century
1 : any of several hardy gregarious African or Asian perissodactyl mammals (genus Equus) smaller than the horse and having long ears; especially : an African mammal (E. asinus) that is the ancestor of the donkey
2 often vulgar : a stupid, obstinate, or perverse person -- often compounded with a preceding adjective
------------------------------------------------
Thats pretty much covers the big 3, I mean, folks, they are just words, I for one like to put my middle finger up at the world, I am well spoken but also can make a sailor wince, I don't cuss at work, I don't cuss in front of kids, but can't I cuss when talking to friends (yes, this board is like a huge group of friends/soap opera [:D])
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Potty mouth? Please give me a break. What, are we 5 years old now?
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I prefer genteel women who are also gentiles. :)

genteel - refined.
gentile - Christian. Not really a nice word as it comes from Late Latin and means "pagan".
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Foul language is just an example of a weak mind trying to express itself forcefully.

As a Christian, I make it a point to NOT use foul language, because that is part of my beliefs.

I don't expect those who have not received Jesus Christ as Saviour to act the way I do. That would NOT be fair, or right. Its getting the cart before the horse.

I DO object to foul language in general because IMO foul language is part of the dumbing down of America, where people can't express a coherent thought without the aid of obscenties.

I object to use of foul language by gun owners in particular  becasue it feeds the "nuckle dragger" stereotype the HCI types like to paint us with. And I REFUSE to give them any ammo to shoot me with. If me eating ice cream made HCI happy, I'd "swear off" (no pun intended  [:D] )ice cream for the rest of my life.

thats all.

Link Posted: 3/25/2001 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Another thing we need to do is to stop bashing each other's states of residence.  We are all aware of some of the draconian methods that our legislators use to curb our freedoms.  Rubbing each other's faces in it solves nothing and turns us against ourselves.

Think when you type.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I`ve worked as a Construction worker, plumber, truck driver, and soldier(among other things). These proffessions are chock full of colorful characters and language. If I say anything that offends your sense of morality, please just ignore me as a child.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top