Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2010 5:41:54 PM EDT
I would like to start my search with a thank you to all of the fanatical muslims that we have killed with this fine caliber. A caliber that was invented to kill fanatical, bamboo wrapped, drug induced Moro muslims in the Phillipine-American War. Without your idiotic drug laden suicide tactics, the .45, and the very 1911 itself may have never been invented.

Thank you.

Now that that's out of the way...

I think this is the sexiest version I have ever seen:

I'm leaning towards a Smith or a Sig because of the external extracter. It seems that it may be more reliable. I DO NOT want to get some jam-o-matic that needs to be massaged and tweaked to run properly.
To have a weapon fail on me repeatedly is unacceptable, and will cause me not to trust it, and therefore sell it.

...that being said, am I on the right track, or do I need to be looking at springfields and/or Colts?

If there was such an animal as a HK45 tactical, I would buy it immediately, because I'm about to start my stamp collection...but that appears to be a while off at best.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#1]
FWIW, I have two Dan Wessons and love them both. Bonded with the almost immediately.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#2]
have you tried a usp tac i really like mine it is 100 percent reliable!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy what you're going to buy, but Springfield always goes bang in my book.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I would probably still get the HK45 first. I really really want a Springfield TRP though, but it's a good bit more:

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Of all the 1911's I've seen, the external extractor versions have the most trouble.

Go with a custom 1911 and you'll be happy you did.

www.ccunworks.com
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#6]
sounds like you know what you want.  I would be happy with either.  Might not have that many external extractor fans here.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
have you tried a usp tac i really like mine it is 100 percent reliable!!!

I really liked it, and it was on the top of my list until I held an HK45. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Approved list:

Springfield (mil spec and up)
STI (like bigfoot, I have never seen one in person, but hear a lot about them)
Dan Wesson (custom gun parts included at factory build prices)
anything custom from the big names if you have the money

-FWIW-I avoid the external extractor.  I like a 1911 that's as standard in parts as possible.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would probably still get the HK45 first. I really really want a Springfield TRP though, but it's a good bit more:

http://sgcusa.com/images/large/HK45_Right_Side_A.jpg
http://sgcusa.com/images/large/HK_45C_Right_Side_A.jpg
http://www.fastfirearms.com/images/products/detail/springfield_0210382.jpg

If it had a match trigger (I don't even know the difference honestly, but the overtravel screw is nifty), and threaded barrel like the USP tac, I would be all over it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#10]
FNP-45 Tactical  15+1 rounds of thug-wrecker

I have the standard model.  Have thought of trading it in on the tactical model in black, but I don't really have any issues with it as it is, and besides I only paid $350 for it LNIB so I'd probably just buy a Tac model to go with it.  FNH put some brains behind this thing.  Some VERY good ergos for a monster high-cap.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Between the 1911 and the Sig...it depends...

If you're willing to spend a lot more, get the 1911.

If you want to get it done without spending nearly as much, go with the Sig.

That said, I have heard of extractor issues with the P220
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#12]
FNP
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
FNP-45 Tactical   15+1 rounds of thug-wrecker
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/snpr1/fnh-fnp45.gif

I have the standard model.  Have thought of trading it in on the tactical model in black, but I don't really have any issues with it as it is, and besides I only paid $350 for it LNIB so I'd probably just buy a Tac model to go with it.  FNH put some brains behind this thing.  Some VERY good ergos for a monster high-cap.

Molested one of those at the funshow this weekend, and although i wasn't crazy about the USP style meat tenderizer grips, I didn't rule it out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I wanted a 1911, so I bought an XD 45.  As I predicted, my wife confiscated it and put it in her night stand.

So now I have my 1911.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I would like to start my search with a thank you to all of the fanatical muslims that we have killed with this fine caliber. A caliber that was invented to kill fanatical, bamboo wrapped, drug induced Moro muslims in the Phillipine-American War. Without your idiotic drug laden suicide tactics, the .45, and the very 1911 itself may have never been invented.

Thank you.

http://guns4u.info/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/108287_large.jpg

I'm leaning towards a Smith or a Sig because of the external extracter. It seems that it may be more reliable. I DO NOT want to get some jam-o-matic that needs to be massaged and tweaked to run properly.

To have a weapon fail on me repeatedly is unacceptable, and will cause me not to trust it, and therefore sell it.

...that being said, am I on the right track, or do I need to be looking at springfields and/or Colts?

If there was such an animal as a HK45 tactical, I would buy it immediately, because I'm about to start my stamp collection...but that appears to be a while off at best.
I shot one of these at the S&W factory range and it the overall nicest 1911 I have shot.   It makes you look like a hero it shoots so well, I'm going to get one

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Between the 1911 and the Sig...it depends...

If you're willing to spend a lot more, get the 1911.

If you want to get it done without spending nearly as much, go with the Sig.

That said, I have heard of extractor issues with the P220

I think he is talking about the Sig GSR, not the regular Sig pistols.

I haven't held too many 1911s, but the one that really struck me as an exceptional pistol was a Dan Wesson 1911, and the Springfield TRP. If I was to get another 1911, I would take a look at the custom names. If you don't mind spending the extra money, this is probably the best route, buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

FWIW, I have two Dan Wessons and love them both. Bonded with the almost immediately.

My Dan Wesson is my favorite 1911, bar none.  Fit, finish, accuracy and reliability are outstanding.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a springfield, and an STI no problems with either.. I carry my springfield....
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My Dan Wesson is my favorite 1911, bar none.  Fit, finish, accuracy and reliability are outstanding.

Another satisfied customer.
I've had my Springfield Mil spec for years and it has never let me down. The instant I got my hands on my DW, I knew the Springfield would be shelved, and it has been for the reasons mentioned above.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Get an Ed Brown

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#21]
My daily carry is a HK45, one of the low serial number German models, I love it.
Supposedly you can get extended barrels from Scottsdale
gun club.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a springfield, and an STI no problems with either.. I carry my springfield....

I actually like the springfield mil-spec a lot. About the least fancy model out there, but it looks good. I wouldn't mind roughing it up a bit either.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Another satisfied customer.
I've had my Springfield Mil spec for years and it has never let me down. The instant I got my hands on my DW, I knew the Springfield would be shelved, and it has been for the reasons mentioned above.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I vote the Midsize M&P 45 ( stock number 109307 ), 10 rds of 45 ACP goodness in a package roughly the same size as my Glock 19.

Not as sexy as the 1911, but a damn fine pistol.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#25]

That is one sexy sombitch.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My daily carry is a HK45, one of the low serial number German models, I love it.
Supposedly you can get extended barrels from Scottsdale
gun club.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Yeah...I thought about that, but...IDK. I would rather wait for the real deal with a match trigger. I think I've tried to fit too many square pegs into round holes, and I would sell it as soon as they came out with the real thing anyway.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thank you.

1911s DO NOT have external extractors, you dont fuck with the design handed down from God to the prophet JMB
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#29]
XDm-45
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I would like to start my search with a thank you to all of the fanatical muslims that we have killed with this fine caliber.

There is irony in your post, because Muslim enemies are probably the LEAST likely to be killed than .45 ACP than any of our former or current enemies.

The war would have effectively been over by the time any 1911s would have made it to the field...

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#31]
There is irony in your post, because Muslim enemies are probably the LEAST likely to be killed than .45 ACP than any of our former or current enemies.

The war would have effectively been over by the time any 1911s would have made it to the field...

You do know why the 45 was originally adopted in the first place, correct?

Think... Phillipines.... Moros.... Pershing....

EDIT : reading your post again, maybe you do...
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Sig GSR hands down.  I own an Colt XSE, Springfield Loaded, Sig GSR.  I have owned a Kimber TLE II.  Without doubt the Sig is the finest fitted and most accurate of the four.  The only bitch about the sig is the slide profile makes it more of a pain to find holsters for, but they're easy enough to order.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I am a big fan of the 1911's!
I'm not a big fan of the external extractor.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Don't fall for myths...  The timing is off.  .45 Long Colt would have been the dominant .45 caliber handgun in the field.  Since the service needed an autoloader, .45 ACP was under development roughly at the same time as the war.  The Moro Rebellion would have been in the winding down phase well before any "Make a difference' quantiy of 1911s could have made it into the field.

Edit Reword:
.45 caliber (LC or ACP) were not developed due to the war, it's just the event that demonstrated that caliber .45 was clearly superior to small black powder cartridges, and this was due to LC.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#35]

i like this one

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#36]
I thought the DK Performance Center gun was a .38 Super...
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

i like this one

<a href="http://img706.imageshack.us/i/springfieldoperator.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/6044/springfieldoperator.jpg</a>

I want that in all black.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't fall for myths...  The timing is off.  .45 Long Colt would have been the dominant .45 caliber handgun in the field.  Since the service needed an autoloader, .45 ACP was under development roughly at the same time as the war.  The Moro Rebellion would have been in the winding down phase well before any "Make a difference' quantiy of 1911s could have made it into the field.

Edit Reword:
.45 caliber (LC or ACP) were not developed due to the war, it's just the event that demonstrated that caliber .45 was clearly superior to small black powder cartridges, and this was due to LC.

Based on the experience with the Moros and extensive testing on animals and human cadavers, an Army Ordnance Board headed by Col. John T. Thompson (inventor of the Thompson sub-machine-gun) and Col. Louis A. La Garde, determined that the Army needed a .45 caliber cartridge to provide adequate stopping power.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Ah, my .45s...ove my Colt Defender and my All German made Sig P220.  

Neither have ever had a single failure.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A local shop has one of those in stock , it is used but looks great.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#41]
If you're buying on a budget, the Springfield line has never let me down.

If you buy a 1911 with an external extractor, I'll fucking spank you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#42]
A lot of it depends on if you are planning on carrying it.  The HK/FN variety are pretty bulky.  1911's are pretty svelte and though heavy, that can be dealt with with a good holster, belt and maybe an alloy frame.  If it's HD weapon I would pick high cap with a rail for a light.  

I've had 8 1911's and kept two.  One is an SA compact that took three trips back to the factory to run right but is now perfect.  Which speaks well for SA's service since a mass produced 1911 is hit or miss.   The other is an old ugly nickel Combat Commander that was modded by Kings (Used to be the schniz in 1911 mods I hear) that I picked up for a song and will cycle spent shells.  Prolly the last gun I would ever sell since a 100% reliable 1911 with a great trigger is just too fun.

If I was to get another, I would go custom.  Keep in mind there is nothing really "custom" about modern custom 1911's...  It's just the way they were meant to be built; forged and machined parts, assembled and fitted by hand to make sure they run right.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#43]
I like my Smith & Wesson 1911 TFP. It gets rid of the firing pin safety. It is also made of Stainless steel with a Melonite coating. The SKU is 108309. Good luck with your new toy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If you're buying on a budget, the Springfield line has never let me down.

If you buy a 1911 with an external extractor, I'll fucking spank you.

lol. Is it really that forbidden? They had to add it for a reason right?
All the Smith and Sig guys seem to never have a problem with their factory direct 1911's, but I hear hit and miss stories about all the others.

...just sayin'

...politely
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A local shop has one of those in stock , it is used but looks great.

How much?
Not that I would buy it of course
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

It is generally a good idea to get a 1911 with an internal extractor. The Springfield TRP is good to go right out of the box and leaves you lots of options for customization down the road (because you will customize it). I love the 1911 platform as much as anyone else and have carried one for duty, but I will also admit that it is 5 minutes to midnight for this gun. With the release of so many less-complicated, ergonomically-sound, reliable, and higher capacity .45's by so many makers, the 1911 is fast approaching the history books in the professional world. While nothing shoots like a 1911, 8-10 rounds in the mag and the religious maintenance schedule pale in comparison to some of the other offerings. For what it's worth, I now carry an M&P. But, I will always love and shoot 1911's.

This. I feel nostalgia has had alot to do with it, and I've had a couple 1911's in my day.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top