Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 4:30:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Ok, I did an internet search............why in the fu** are any of you wasting your time on that absolute junk!!

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 4:41:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Reminds me several years ago when I was working LP at a large retail store. There was a guy who's car got hit in the parking lot. He came to us asking for the video of which we couldn't give him. I checked it out adn explained to him that his car was at the outer reaches of the camera and I could see another car in the area that MAY be the car that hit him.

I told this guy that I could see the car driving way from the camera, but it was too far away to make out any details. This guy argued with me saying that if he had that video he could take it to the police and with just a few mins they could blow up the picture of the plate and clear it up. I told him there was no way that could be done in this case. He swore it could be done because he saw it on CSI.

It's easy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 4:45:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
"I know my rights, I watch the First 48 everyday!" - from a murder suspect to me.

I love that show.

Motherfuckers just don't know how to keep their mouth shut.

I've never understood why the just confess, why not keep your mouth shut and ask for an attorney.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 4:48:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if it makes the burden of truth tougher... good.  that whole 100 guilty men goin free to keep one innocent out of prison

Prisons are full of innocent men.

Most of which plead guilty.

Funny shit isn't it?

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 4:52:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"I know my rights, I watch the First 48 everyday!" - from a murder suspect to me.

I love that show.

I've never understood why the just confess, why not keep your mouth shut and ask for an attorney.

Most of these guys aren't what I would call "sharp".

You, like most of the rest of us, know what to do because we have IQ's higher than 20.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:02:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've always wondered what computer operating systems they used in CSI.  It's not windows based!     That shit is high speed!

i always wondered that myself, never any loading screens or normal delays, it has to be a mix of screen shots or some kind of video they hit play on that looks like they are doing it interactively or something.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:04:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Today I had one person who was upset we couldn't roll a CSI van on their parking lot fender bender/drive off.

Another told me "he had seen it on tv" and wanted me to make an arrest.

And another wanted a report because someon talked "mean" to them.

haha, we get this sometimes too.

We always get a laugh out of it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:05:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:14:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Try being a prosecutor. Juries can't figure out why we just have eye-witnesses and the criminalists didn't go to the scene, peel 8 layers of paint off the door, check the body for fingerprints, collect all the bugs in an 8 mile radius and then didn't catch the bad guy who confessed.

And victims who want us to do the same thing.  In 45 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:21:12 AM EDT
[#10]
What he said. I have several prosecutor friends that HATE those shows. It seems that Juries actually BELIEVE all that shit and expect every $5 shoplifting case to have video, blood spatter analysis, DNA etc.....It has started to affect their ability to get convictions. Juries WANT to see that stuff, they expect it. Not good.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:27:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
More like stupid people should be cancelled.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

This
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:28:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That show is actually useful as hell to teach people how to get away with murder. If you're gonna kill a bitch in the hood, do it, but DO IT ALONE AND KEEP YOUR GODDAMN MOUTH SHUT TILL THE DAY YOU DIE!
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:29:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
if it makes the burden of truth tougher... good.  that whole 100 guilty men goin free to keep one innocent out of prison

We just released a guy here that confessed to murder after a 30 hour interrogation. 6-7 years later DNA evidence proved it was someone else. May not be full of em, but it's got plenty of em.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:31:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Few years ago I had some parts stolen off my truck, so I call the Sheriff's dept. A deputy comes out, looks things over, and then starts filling out a report. The deputy told me that there is almost no chance the parts will be recovered or the person caught.

I looked at him and said, "Then you need to get someone out here and start dusting for prints, this should be solved in less than an hour not counting commercials."

The deputy got the look on his face like ah shit another CSI fan....

I then told him, "Nah just bullshittin' ya. I just need to make the report so I can file a claim with my insurance. Hell I know you guys have better things to do than chase after $200 of parts."

He smiled and said he wished more people knew reality from TV, the cop shows are a pain in the ass.

On a side note I have relation that's a general practice doctor, and she hates all those damn drug commercials trying to convince you to see your doctor if you show signs of...and then they list enough stuff that you are bound to have at least two of the "symptoms"  If you wake up alive, and/or breathing than you may have XXXXXX disease see your doctor right away.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:42:04 AM EDT
[#15]
NCIS is where it's at.

I wonder how Israel FOing will affect the new season?  

Seriously though, I had to stop watching Law and Order, (especially the "SVU" one).  Constantly recycling the rape/wife beating story lines (especially with kids as I have 2 daughters) was just uncomfortable to watch.

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:42:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Today I had one person who was upset we couldn't roll a CSI van on their parking lot fender bender/drive off.

LOL. We get this all the time. People (SHEEPLE) will believe anything they see on TV and the interwebz.........

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:49:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well get to it.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:01:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everytime I watch Law & Order it seems extremely anti-gun, so yes I agree it should be canceled lol

I once saw an eposode of the show of Homicide life on the streets (his show before law and order) where the defectives determined that it wasn't a suicide because the person was shot in the head with a 44 magnum and if he had shot himself with a gun that big there would be a mark on his finger from pulling the trigger on a gun that powerful. The guys a moron I don't know why his shows are on TV unless it is a concerted effort to dumb down the american population.

Best post of the whole thread.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:12:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:13:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Try dealing with College age kids who have been raised watching these show. Not to mention at my campus it's all agricultural related education, ya know farm kids. Very little real world experience.  The crap they expect me to be able to do when someone backs into their car or swipes there laptop from an unlocked dorm room is unbelievable.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:22:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another told me "he had seen it on TV" and wanted me to make an arrest.

And another wanted a report because someone talked "mean" to them.

Kind of on the same note, I had a big box store loss prevention crew member hand me a Styrofoam coffee cup that an escaped shoplifter had handled so I could track him down via fingerprints once. Once.

Pppphhhhffftttt! Anybody and everybody  knows you are supposed to request the DNA sample test. What an Idjit. Hope you set him straight in a very harsh tone. Bet he'll never make that mistake again.

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 7:49:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've always wondered what computer operating systems they used in CSI.  It's not windows based!     That shit is high speed!

Yeah, but all those whirs, clicks, chirps, beeps, and whistles would annoy me to no end. They can keep it.

Edit: Anybody remember the old days when some keyboard drivers actually had sounds for keypresses? They had everything from manual- and electric typewriter sounds to chirps. I never did understnad why folks would want that - and I've been around long enough to remember offices before the large influx of desktop computer technology.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't know if it's been posted but there's a new Law & Order coming outl Law & Order:Los Angles :)

I think I rooted for the bad guys on L&O, Jack got on my nerves
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but all those whirs, clicks, chirps, beeps, and whistles would annoy me to no end. They can keep it.

Edit: Anybody remember the old days when some keyboard drivers actually had sounds for keypresses? They had everything from manual- and electric typewriter sounds to chirps. I never did understnad why folks would want that - and I've been around long enough to remember offices before the large influx of desktop computer technology.

http://www.grc.com/freeware/clickey.htm

Not to annoy the people we have to work with, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#25]
My favorite CSI Miami, is the aftermath of a hurricane.

A bucket of spent bullets (that's another story) tipped over in the wind and one bullet was picked up by the wind and hurled hard enough to break a window, go through a woman's neck and lodge itself in a wall.

I LOL'd through the entire episode, then gave my wife a little synopsis, then let her watch it. Pure comedy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I love that show.

I'm always amazed at the ones who come in voluntarily. I'll never understand how anybody could kill someone and then accept an invitation to come on down to the police station to talk about it a couple of days later.

Just about everybody thinks they can talk their way out of a beef, especially once a detective starts throwing those hypotheticals out there.
What would you say if we found your fingerprints on the murder weapon?
What would you say if we had you on video tape at the crime scene?
What do you think happened that night?
You didn't mean to kill him, the gun just went off, right?
It was just self defense - he came at you, and you had no choice, right?
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I love that show.

An attorney?
Only guilty people need attorneys.
Look, we just need to get your side of the story so we can clear this thing up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSI_effect
The CSI effect (sometimes referred to as the CSI syndrome) is a reference to the phenomenon of popular television shows such as the CSI franchise raising crime victims' and jury members', even criminals', real-world expectations of forensic science, especially crime scene investigation and DNA testing.Much of these concerns stem from the "dramatic license" taken by the writers of forensic science television—glamorizing the field,overstating the accuracy of forensic techniques, and exaggerating the abilities of forensic science—and from the extension of pop images past the realm of entertainment  programming and into that of news reporting and the general criminological dialogue. The CSIeffect is purported to skew public perceptions of real-world forensicscience, as well as the behavior of criminal justice system actors;this is of particular concern in the courtroom setting, where many prosecutors feel pressured to deliver more forensic evidence.

I find this one the most disturbing. Jury's wont convict because the prosecution didn't do what they saw on TV.

While in most cases I would agree, not this one.

The expectation of the jury is beyond reasonable.

It's one thing for a jury to be firmly confident in their decision, but it's another to demand, let's say, DNA from a small blood sample that's been on a fence post for a month and a half, or a wireframe simulation of an entire altercation.

In other words, juries want to rely on technologies that don't exist.

Enhance!

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Surprise, it's a fake OS.

m
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#30]

this is why you watch CSI.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
http://i42.tinypic.com/k9ca43.jpg

You should see real crime lab techs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i42.tinypic.com/k9ca43.jpg

You should see real crime lab techs.

Yeah, most of them look like a cross between Helen Thomas and Chewbacca.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Phoenix M.E. has some pretty cute chicks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure blame your departmental short commings on tv. That's like blaming peter north for your wife cheating on you!

:p

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Exactly.

I had to quit watching Law and Order because of all the laws and amendments the cops break.

That's exactly why I don't watch that crap. It really does have an effect on people's thinking, too. Maybe even more so than the national media.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top