Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
You do your thing. I'll do mine.
Instructor
Posted: 8/22/2010 11:47:05 PM
Today I had one person who was upset we couldn't roll a CSI van on their parking lot fender bender/drive off.

Another told me "he had seen it on tv" and wanted me to make an arrest.

And another wanted a report because someon talked "mean" to them.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

3%er

Any opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect upon any agency or orginization which I may be employed or affiliated.
far_right
Follow Chairman Meow
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/22/2010 11:58:10 PM
More like stupid people should be cancelled.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." T. Jefferson
DKing
Member State Bar of Georgia & ARFCOM
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 12:05:12 AM
Sure blame your departmental short commings on tv. That's like blaming peter north for your wife cheating on you!

:p

Professor Henry Jones: I suddenly remembered my Charlemagne. Let my armies be the rocks and the trees and the birds in the sky

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire, DKing.
www.shooterslegion
Bama-Shooter
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 12:07:40 AM
Originally Posted By DKing:
Sure blame your departmental short commings on tv. That's like blaming peter north for your wife cheating on you!

:p

Exactly.

I had to quit watching Law and Order because of all the laws and amendments the cops break.

3%er

Any opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect upon any agency or orginization which I may be employed or affiliated.
HiredHitman
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 12:08:51 AM
Can't stand either of those shows.

I would be perfectly okay if they both disappeared.
CujoTwoOne
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 12:09:00 AM
Everytime I watch Law & Order it seems extremely anti-gun, so yes I agree it should be canceled lol
Mom2Sarah
911, where is your emergency?
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 12:09:35 AM
[Last Edit: 8/23/2010 12:10:11 AM by Mom2Sarah]
I love those shows, I'm especially hooked on the true-crime tv shows Can't watch them with the SO though, 5 minutes in he starts either correcting the fictional tv cops, or solving the crime before the first commercial
The only way to safe guard the second amendment is to grow the number of people not only into shooting but who understand its role in our heritage. -PaddyMurphy
Banshee35
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 12:11:10 AM
Uhh ... Law and Order has been canceled but it still runs 24 hours a day in syndication
DKing
Member State Bar of Georgia & ARFCOM
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 12:12:39 AM
Law and order is to trial work what going to a strip club is compared to a 50 year marriage with 3 children and 6 grandchildren. Law and order is all show without any substance or consequence. Real trials take long comitments and are a labor of love. That's why I couldn't watch it any more.

The csi jury voy dire questions have been amking their rounds around here. I have my own little tricks to counterbalance that though.

Professor Henry Jones: I suddenly remembered my Charlemagne. Let my armies be the rocks and the trees and the birds in the sky

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire, DKing.
www.shooterslegion
Bama-Shooter
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 12:14:18 AM
Originally Posted By Mom2Sarah:
I love those shows, I'm especially hooked on the true-crime tv shows Can't watch them with the SO though, 5 minutes in he starts either correcting the fictional tv cops, or solving the crime before the first commercial

I like the tru crime type shows but these other shows have built people up into an expectaion vs real life.

3%er

Bama-Shooter
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 12:16:03 AM
Law and order is to trial work what going to a strip club is compared to a 50 year marriage with 3 children and 6 grandchildren. Law and order is all show without any substance or consequence. Real trials take long comitments and are a labor of love. That's why I couldn't watch it any more.

The csi jury voy dire questions have been amking their rounds around here. I have my own little tricks to counterbalance that though.

The guy who said he had seen it on tv, wanted my name and badge number. He was turning me in to his lawyer.

I handed him my business card.

3%er

paddymurphy
F.I.F.I
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 12:16:17 AM
Originally Posted By Mom2Sarah:

Bama, use it as an opportunity. Next time some one says we want the CSI van, tell them sorry we don't have one. Remember the budget increase you voted down last year? That was gonna get us one.
So we have to use the states and they only come out for murders and shit.
If the Minute Men had buried their guns we would still be a colony.

I don't mean to be captain obvious of the asshole ship but yes, that many of your fellow Americans are THAT stupid. <----originally posted by sleepy56ace
RCJ
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 12:16:37 AM
Well, it keeps Ice T from wanting to kill cops now, as the irony would be maddening.
"Well, it's a mess, ain't it sheriff?"
"If it ain't, it'll do til the mess gets here."
ARJJ
Rifleman
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 12:16:38 AM
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Today I had one person who was upset we couldn't roll a CSI van on their parking lot fender bender/drive off.

I feel your pain.
STOP RESISTING!

fla556guy: "When you have a shit-hole the answer is to flush it as fast as possible, not bathe in the shit."
kap_x
Internet Celebrity
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 12:18:48 AM
[Last Edit: 8/23/2010 12:19:17 AM by kap_x]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSI_effect

The CSI effect (sometimes referred to as the CSI syndrome) is a reference to the phenomenon of popular television shows such as the CSI franchise raising crime victims' and jury members', even criminals', real-world expectations of forensic science, especially crime scene investigation and DNA testing. Much of these concerns stem from the "dramatic license" taken by the writers of forensic science television—glamorizing the field, overstating the accuracy of forensic techniques, and exaggerating the abilities of forensic science—and from the extension of pop images past the realm of entertainment programming and into that of news reporting and the general criminological dialogue. The CSI effect is purported to skew public perceptions of real-world forensic science, as well as the behavior of criminal justice system actors; this is of particular concern in the courtroom setting, where many prosecutors feel pressured to deliver more forensic evidence.
macaronics.com
Isenhelm
:Vae Victis:
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 12:39:06 AM
CSI is hilarious it is a little bit sci fi with the bullshit gadgets they have.

: Veritas Odium Parit : Meditate on Death : Die Free :
MetalChef
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 12:44:06 AM
The GF's dad had that problem when he got near the end of his career. People think those shows are real-that CSI can get results that fast with amazing high tech devices. He had to explain to many, many people that CSI was science fiction and all that stuff DOES NOT exist..heck, it took a week on average to get fingerprint matches.

Both those shows should go away because they are out of plot lines/ideas..they are just recycling the same episode over and over.
weptek911
Orbit Guard Veteran
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 12:44:37 AM
[Last Edit: 8/23/2010 12:45:29 AM by weptek911]

Another told me "he had seen it on TV" and wanted me to make an arrest.

And another wanted a report because someone talked "mean" to them.

Kind of on the same note, I had a big box store loss prevention crew member hand me a Styrofoam coffee cup that an escaped shoplifter had handled so I could track him down via fingerprints once. Once.

I've been battling some internal demons this week, so far I'm 0 for 6.
كافر.
Banshee35
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 12:57:52 AM
I used to watch CSI once in a while but then the jump the shark moment for me...

In an episode they had an audio recording of the exhaust of the suspects car. They went into all this bullshit detail as to how it was like an Italian import that wasn't being run on premium because you could hear it knock. They seemed to somehow know that kind of car it was just by the exhaust note.

I had had enough, called bullshit and FO never to look back! Oh, and CSI Miami with that no-talent overly dramatic sunglasses ginger David Caruso can suck my balls.
BF1985
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 1:22:01 AM
[Last Edit: 8/23/2010 1:23:51 AM by BF1985]
Originally Posted By kap_x:

The CSI effect (sometimes referred to as the CSI syndrome) is a reference to the phenomenon of popular television shows such as the CSI franchise raising crime victims' and jury members', even criminals', real-world expectations of forensic science, especially crime scene investigation and DNA testing.Much of these concerns stem from the "dramatic license" taken by the writers of forensic science television—glamorizing the field,overstating the accuracy of forensic techniques, and exaggerating the abilities of forensic science—and from the extension of pop images past the realm of entertainment programming and into that of news reporting and the general criminological dialogue. The CSIeffect is purported to skew public perceptions of real-world forensicscience, as well as the behavior of criminal justice system actors;this is of particular concern in the courtroom setting, where many prosecutors feel pressured to deliver more forensic evidence.

I find this one the most disturbing. Jury's wont convict because the prosecution didn't do what they saw on TV.
thedoctors308
Po-leece
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 1:30:09 AM
"I know my rights, I watch the First 48 everyday!" - from a murder suspect to me.
This post contains personal opinion only and should not be construed as information released in an official capacity
Cypher15
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 1:32:34 AM

Originally Posted By BF1985:
Originally Posted By kap_x:

The CSI effect (sometimes referred to as the CSI syndrome) is a reference to the phenomenon of popular television shows such as the CSI franchise raising crime victims' and jury members', even criminals', real-world expectations of forensic science, especially crime scene investigation and DNA testing.Much of these concerns stem from the "dramatic license" taken by the writers of forensic science television—glamorizing the field,overstating the accuracy of forensic techniques, and exaggerating the abilities of forensic science—and from the extension of pop images past the realm of entertainment programming and into that of news reporting and the general criminological dialogue. The CSIeffect is purported to skew public perceptions of real-world forensicscience, as well as the behavior of criminal justice system actors;this is of particular concern in the courtroom setting, where many prosecutors feel pressured to deliver more forensic evidence.

I find this one the most disturbing. Jury's wont convict because the prosecution didn't do what they saw on TV.
if it makes the burden of truth tougher... good. that whole 100 guilty men goin free to keep one innocent out of prison

Coyote with 40 people crammed into a minivan gets into a chase with DPS, Paco over estimates his driving abilities and *whmmo!* the Astrovan of Immigration becomes a Pinata of Pain, hurling broken bodies like so many tasty pieces of cheap candy...
thedoctors308
Po-leece
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 1:37:16 AM
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
if it makes the burden of truth tougher... good. that whole 100 guilty men goin free to keep one innocent out of prison

Prisons are full of innocent men.
This post contains personal opinion only and should not be construed as information released in an official capacity
Dave_A
SPC/ARNG. 19K
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 1:38:22 AM
The one that pisses me off about CSI, is the use of 'The Patriot Act' as a Deus-Ex-Machina to 'fix' a glaring hole in the story...

Every time they need to do something illegal, 'Patriot Act' and it's OK...

In real life, of course, the Patriot Act doesn't allow ANY of that shit...

But people believe it does due to CSI, and that helped the ACLU sell their bullshit even better (go figure, liberal writers)....
Originally Posted by N1Rampage: I'd pay them to abort and give them chauffeur service to the clinics if I could. I'm not pro-choice. I'm pro-abortion.

(Much worse than saying 'Anonymity is not a Right')

6 Less Trolls... Next?
USP45Tim
That's just like, your opinion, man.
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 1:39:52 AM
Whenever someone mentions CSI, I immediately cut them off.
The measure of a man's character is what he can do for someone who can do nothing for him.
Spartanatheart
Omega Man
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 1:40:54 AM
Originally Posted By far_right:

I like your idea & want to suscribe to your newsletter.
I'm not crazy. The fact that I'm sharpening a Bowie knife as we chat is perfectly normal. LOL

Live well. You may be the only Bible anyone ever reads.
Infantry26
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 1:43:44 AM

Originally Posted By Dave_A:
The one that pisses me off about CSI, is the use of 'The Patriot Act' as a Deus-Ex-Machina to 'fix' a glaring hole in the story...

But people believe it does due to CSI, and that helped the ACLU sell their bullshit even better (go figure, liberal writers)....

True, they often use it as plot device or whatever that's called to fix shitty screenwriting and condition the audience...
Gulbrandr2
Your interrogation technique is flawed.
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 1:49:26 AM

First post nails it.
When faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage.

Those folks who think profiling has no place in the world we live in and believe that all folks have good intentions are called victims of violent crimes.
elemeno
Large Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 1:54:53 AM

Well there's always Bumfuck Egypt.
Dave_A
SPC/ARNG. 19K
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 1:58:53 AM

Originally Posted By Infantry26:

True, they often use it as plot device or whatever that's called to fix shitty screenwriting and condition the audience...

Deus Ex Machina (God from the Machine)
Originally Posted by N1Rampage: I'd pay them to abort and give them chauffeur service to the clinics if I could. I'm not pro-choice. I'm pro-abortion.

(Much worse than saying 'Anonymity is not a Right')

6 Less Trolls... Next?
Russkie
I'm NOT fat asshole, I'm Husky!
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 2:03:50 AM

rofl
I just dont care about any sports anymore, its a distraction from reality.

If people were as passionate about freedom as they were about their fav. sports teams, we would be a lot better off as a country.
Svetgar
Varian is pro RKBA
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 3:11:18 AM
Those shows hurt my head with their stupidity.
AFK IRL
wingnutx
Barry Goldwater for Emperor
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 4:07:39 AM
TANSTAAFL

National pride is to countries what self-respect is to individuals: a necessary condition for self-improvement. - Richard Rorty
wingnutx
Barry Goldwater for Emperor
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 4:11:21 AM

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:
"I know my rights, I watch the First 48 everyday!" - from a murder suspect to me.

I love that show.

Motherfuckers just don't know how to keep their mouth shut.
TANSTAAFL

National pride is to countries what self-respect is to individuals: a necessary condition for self-improvement. - Richard Rorty
eodtech2000
Fire in the Hole!!!!
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 5:00:07 AM
Originally Posted By wingnutx:

I love that show.

I like the First 48, it is pretty much all old-school. Lots of casing, interviews, hopefully a little luck, and some dumb ass suspects. Does show how dirt cheap life is though in the hood.
Originally Posted By EdAvilaSr:
And i am writing from my office (on the 1st floor, not the basement) and if I read another personal attack I will lock the account............... like a hurricane would hit a screen door.
RickNC
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 5:20:17 AM
Reminds me several years ago when I was working LP at a large retail store. There was a guy who's car got hit in the parking lot. He came to us asking for the video of which we couldn't give him. I checked it out adn explained to him that his car was at the outer reaches of the camera and I could see another car in the area that MAY be the car that hit him.

I told this guy that I could see the car driving way from the camera, but it was too far away to make out any details. This guy argued with me saying that if he had that video he could take it to the police and with just a few mins they could blow up the picture of the plate and clear it up. I told him there was no way that could be done in this case. He swore it could be done because he saw it on CSI.
joker581
Cowboy Elvis
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 6:19:25 AM
Originally Posted By wingnutx:

I love that show.

I'm always amazed at the ones who come in voluntarily. I'll never understand how anybody could kill someone and then accept an invitation to come on down to the police station to talk about it a couple of days later.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Bonk2029
RIP Puggie, I miss you
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 6:23:39 AM
Oh fuck. Don't me started.

<––- crime scene unit supervisor.
"The will to win compares little to the will to prepare to win." - Paul "Bear" Bryant
vanilla_gorilla
Browncoat
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 6:28:52 AM

Originally Posted By Bonk2029:
Oh fuck. Don't me started.

<––- crime scene unit supervisor.

The public are the police and the police are the public, and both share the same responsibility for community safety. - Sir Robert Peel
wgjhsafT
Modern Nomad
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 7:27:53 AM

My sister does for real autopsies. It isn't like Bones, CSI (name your city and military branch), and or L&O. Nothing is fast, nothing is 100% obvious, and the folks who do half the stuff you see on TV aren't really cops nor are they highly paid medical folks.

A guy told me one time, "Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."
Eagle157
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 7:53:32 AM
Are you in Huntsville? Madison? Sounds about right for some of the people around there.
greenranger
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 7:53:52 AM
I like "criminal minds" where they call their resident computer nerd girl, giver her some random search terms and she somehow in 3 seconds can search everything anywhere and get a picture of the suspect from his high school lunchroom ID card from 15 years ago.

Example: "I need you to search for white males, ages 25 to 40 whose mama committed suicide, daddy had the clap on his right testicle, made A's in high school physics, visits gay porn shops, has an earring in his left ear that looks like a budweiser bottle, is missing a front tooth and has a job as a book store clerk"

Three seconds later the ONLY result from the "search" is...TA DAH!!! The suspect...

Give me a freaking break .

GR
Eagle157
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 7:54:41 AM

The guy who said he had seen it on tv, wanted my name and badge number. He was turning me in to his lawyer.

I handed him my business card.

Damn that will probably go on your "Permanent Record"!
jrollins
Crazy Trucker Dude
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 8:00:58 AM
I want one of those 10 second DNA machines

I'm a duck! Quack! Quack!
scottedward58
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 8:16:07 AM
[Last Edit: 8/23/2010 8:26:12 AM by scottedward58]
Originally Posted By CujoTwoOne:
Everytime I watch Law & Order it seems extremely anti-gun, so yes I agree it should be canceled lol

I once saw an eposode of the show of Homicide life on the streets (his show before law and order) where the defectives determined that it wasn't a suicide because the person was shot in the head with a 44 magnum and if he had shot himself with a gun that big there would be a mark on his finger from pulling the trigger on a gun that powerful. The guys a moron I don't know why his shows are on TV unless it is a concerted effort to dumb down the american population.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sammich
Downhill trend
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 8:19:29 AM
[Last Edit: 8/23/2010 8:20:42 AM by Sammich]
Originally Posted By Banshee35:
Uhh ... Law and Order has been canceled but it still runs 24 hours a day in syndication

Yes. But it gets better..

http://www.nbc.com/law-and-order-los-angeles/

edit: quoted wrong post
Live. Learn. Repeat as necessary.
كافر
scottedward58
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 8:23:15 AM
[Last Edit: 8/23/2010 8:24:13 AM by scottedward58]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:

Prisons are full of innocent men.

Almost no one that is in prison for a crime they commited. They're all in there for crimes they didn't commit because they pleaded down to a lesser crime. so technically they are innocent of the crime they were convicted.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RDak
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 8:23:19 AM
What is CSI and Law and Order?
Sub-MOA
S P Q R
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 8:25:06 AM
Personal favorite is CSI Miami... it makes the others look like intellectual TV.

... Lets neutralize this swimming pool full of concentrated acid with a box of baking soda.
Entropy. It's the law.
buckfever34
God Bless Our Troops.
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 8:28:25 AM

Originally Posted By JPratt06:
Next time they visit, answer the door in a tinfoil hat and underwear, clutching a beltfed and a copy of 1984.
JustinOK34
Professional Left-Hand Turner
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2010 8:30:06 AM
I've always wondered what computer operating systems they used in CSI. It's not windows based! That shit is high speed!
Free Rodent!
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2