Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2010 5:39:18 PM EDT

Made pancakes and (again) the first pancake just wouldn't cook right.

But the rest were perfect.

I waited longer this time for the griddle to heat up evenly to the right temperature and all.

But still, no matter what it seems like the first pancake of the batch is always the worst.

It always happens that way no matter what.

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Becaue we usually don't let the pan get hot enough before we pour.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Cause you suck at cooking?

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
pancakes how the fuck do they work?
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Muslim curse.
And mohamed said.  "I shall take your first poured pancake, and your socks.

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Cook the first one last.

Then they'll all be perfect.

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the amount of time that the pan cake batter has been mixed has something to do with it too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Never have that problem.

What are you cooking on?  
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems like the pan needs to "seasoned."  Got something to do with the butter/grease and the liquid in the batter reacting with the cooking surface.  Ever notice the same thing with deep frying?  The first batch of whatever doesn't brown as nicely as later additions.  Seem like it takes one or two loads to get the oil working right.  Some cooks save a little old oil to add to fresh batches so it browns better.  Alton Brown talks about both subjects on his cooking show.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#9]
So you have one to put on the head of a bunny  
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The first pancake is properly regarded as a burnt offering to the pancake gods.  Do not begrudge the pancake gods their due, lest they strike you with a shortage of maple syrup.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#11]
It's kinda like casting bullets!
The first couple are sacrificial to to gods so the rest turn out OK......
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Cook the first one last.

Oh yeah! Good idea man!

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I was thinking of this the other day, honestly.

1. the pan was probably not hot enough

2. there was too much oil in the pan
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Because if there wasn't one that was obviously inferior, which one would we have to feed the women/children?
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cook the first one last.

This is the kind of outside the box thinking that will save the economy! Hail Obama!

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Seems like the pan needs to "seasoned."  Got something to do with the butter/grease and the liquid in the batter reacting with the cooking surface.  Ever notice the same thing with deep frying?  The first batch of whatever doesn't brown as nicely as later additions.  Seem like it takes one or two loads to get the oil working right.  Some cooks save a little old oil to add to fresh batches so it browns better.  Alton Brown talks about both subjects on his cooking show.

I vaguely remember Alton Brown talking about this too. Something about the oil having to burn in, drive off the residual moisture in the oil or something.

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Ah, Grasshopper! You must remember that the ox is willing but the mind is slow.

Meaning that your mind plays tricks on you regarding when the pan is hot enough. Ben Franklin was right when he said 'a watched pot never boils'.

I had the same problem for years until I was interrupted before I put the first one on the pan.

It gave the pan enough time to REALLY heat up properly.

What you do is wait until you are absolutely sure the pan is hot enough and then go do something for 5 minutes or so.

When you get back, try it.

Betcha the first one comes out just fine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#18]
too much oil/butter, etc.

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#19]
It is because of the lack of something in the oil. I want to say water(maybe hydrocarbons?) but it might be something else. I heard a really good explanation the other day but cannot remember where. Probably Alton Brown? Basically if you reuse or add some old oil to new oil you do not have that issue. I am sure one of our chefs can explain it properly.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Meaning that your mind plays tricks on you regarding when the pan is hot enough. Ben Franklin was right when he said 'a watched pot never boils'.

I had the same problem for years until I was interrupted before I put the first one on the pan.

What you do is wait until you are absolutely sure the pan is hot enough and then go do something for 5 minutes or so.

Ha Ha -
You have a way of screwing up a quote in such an eloquent way that it still makes sense....  

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha Ha -
You have a way of screwing up a quote in such an eloquent way that it still makes sense....  

I know it is supposed to be 'The mind is willing, but the ox is slow/

Several years ago I wrote a little parody of a Zen Shooting team match with that quote and the team took it as a slogan for quite a whils.

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Then check the temperature of the pan with a few drops of water.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Then check the temperature of the pan with a few drops of water.

You check the pan with a few drops of water THEN skin out for a few minutes.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha Ha -

I know it is supposed to be 'The mind is willing, but the ox is slow/

Several years ago I wrote a little parody of a Zen Shooting team match with that quote and the team took it as a slogan for quite a whils.

There ya go again....

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#26]
you're not using enough ground beef.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Mom always made waffles instead of pancakes.  The first one was always "The dog waffle", a tradition that continues to this day.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

+1

I do this anytime I am frying something. If you stand over it you will over estimate the temperature.

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Made pancakes and (again) the first pancake just wouldn't cook right.

But the rest were perfect.

I waited longer this time for the griddle to heat up evenly to the right temperature and all.

But still, no matter what it seems like the first pancake of the batch is always the worst.

It always happens that way no matter what.

I changed to an electric teflon griddle, no more throw aways.

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The pan is hot enough when a splash of water sizzles.  Get your fingers wet, flip a few drops in.  Sizzle => cook, no sizzle => crank the heat up.

That's exactly how I do it.

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The first pancake is properly regarded as a burnt offering to the pancake gods.  Do not begrudge the pancake gods their due, lest they strike you with a shortage of maple syrup.

This. The elder gods must be appeased.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

For most this is the answer, but mine always turn out great from the first one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I thought this was universal so many of the replies are confusing me.      

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I thought this was universal so many of the replies are confusing me.

Ditto. It happens every time. Same thing when frying eggs. I have been told that cooking the first pancake evenly distribute the heat.. It is just a fact of life!

Amos1909
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#36]
I never had that problem

I would suspect you are not letting the pan get to the right temp
(to hot or cold at first)

also Gas stoves give better control
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Never seem to have that problem.  I prefer waffles though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

THIS.

From many years in the past as a SOC this was the reason.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Shit, that is usually my best one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Cook the first one last.

But the last one is always too small.

I always cook my pancakes third.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think the amount of time that the pan cake batter has been mixed has something to do with it too.

^ ^ ^ ^

That.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#42]
If you would have said crepes, then I'd agree with you.

Pancakes, on the other hand, are ridiculously easy to get right.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#43]
You have to wait for the light on the griddle to go off.

Also, have you tried the WalMart brand blueberry pancake mix yet?

It rocks.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't have that problem. You must be doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Wait is that why my mom always made sure I got the first one?  I thought I was special.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Never had that problem. I use a griddle.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:06:51 PM EDT
[#47]
THE trick (I use exclusively cast iron) is a HOT pan and THEN cold oil. You can't put your oil in the pan before it is cooking hot, meaning the water dances.

Be sure to only use a couple drops of water or you've just cooled the pan off.

Very little oil.

Be willing to eat a less than perfect pancake.

I was camping with my friends and our boys (one each for three of us). I asked the boys if they wanted pancakes. Sure!! Cooked the bacon first. Reserved the grease and put in enough for each pancake as necessary. Pancakes were loaded with bacon grease and little bits of bacon. The other two boys wouldn't touch 'em cause they didn't look like Bob Evans pancakes. My boy Jake was plowin' through them as were the two boy's dads. By the time they got up the gumtion to try one, and realized that they were heaven on earth when it comes to camp food, there weren't many left. Snooze and loose, fellas.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#48]
You have to wait until the frying pan is up to temperature. It's not hot enough when you are making your first one. By the time you are done with it, the next one is getting the proper heat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Thick batter + no oil =The best pancakes ever!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top