Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2010 6:45:38 PM EDT
Say I wanted to make a primitive spear and attach a spear head to the spear shaft with rope. How do you do it? Whats the proper technique?
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, call me a cheater but they make a Spear shaped knife that can attach to any standard threaded mop handle. I thought about getting one.

I just looked it up again. Its the SOG spirit knife. Has a set screw for attachment to any proper sized branch or stick and will screw directly on to a standard push broom handle, etc.

And I know, you're talking all Indian mojo and stuff but this is an option I am interested in.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You want to use something that will shrink, like rawhide or sinew. Wrap it tight while wet, it will tighten more as it dries.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a rifle.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the tips. I'm specifically interested in how to use the cordage. Are there any animated images out there on how to do it?

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Socket or tang?

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Socket or tang?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Pick up a book on early human tools.  It's not hard to make your own knives, spears, axes, or hand axes/Ulus.  

Hell, they're made with rocks and sticks so you can afford to experiment all you want.  Just no cheating with power tools.  

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#9]
i though you said "how to re-attach a stripper's head" haha
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Socket or tang?

He's asking what kind of spear head.  A socket will fit over your shaft.  A tang will need a split shaft to fit inside.  Different methods for each.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#11]
You've got some things to get figgered out here:
-head (shape it to have sharp edges on the front, but not where it is lashed into place)

-shaft (I think this is the most important part-good strong, light, straight, smooth piece of lumber-you have to throw it, remember?)  Also, the shape of the spear shaft where you lash the head on is important to how the lashings work.

-lashings-sinew, rawhide shrink as they dry, so they are on the list.

You can lash a bayonet to a bamboo pole with paracord, and have a great weapon, but it isn't necessarily a spear.  Throwing spear? Stabbing spear?  What's it for?

I know these aren't really answers, but they may help to get you the info you are looking for.

Edit: obvious question-a stone (flint) head, or a bronze head?  Bronze allows you to make a socket, but stone generally doesn't
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Socket or tang?

A socketed spear can be friction fit (like a socketed chisel), but is normally held on with a long rivet through the socket and shaft.  For a tanged spear, look up primitive arrows.  You're basically talking about a scaled-up version of the same thing.

BTW, many people I know that dabble in blacksmithing use socketed chisels to make socketed spears.

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the great tips everyone.

Lashing was the word I was looking for. Now I'm finding what I need on youtube/etc.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#14]
You're not done, mister
Show us the results (with wild bacon that you speared) to save your rep.
Or at least a nice spear
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#16]
SOG Spirit and a broom handle.  Or any knife blade + a stick + some rope/paracord/sturdy twine = spear
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You're not done, mister

Show us the results (with wild bacon that you speared) to save your rep.

Or at least a nice spear

I'll whisper to it too.

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Say I wanted to make a primitive spear and attach a spear head to the spear shaft with rope. How do you do it? Whats the proper technique?

rope = fail  You need rawhide to do it correctly.
Split shaft, insert spear head , wet rawhide wrap tightly allow rawhide to dry.apply additional course of rawhide thongs

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#19]
The thread title was so cool, I just had to stop by.

...I got nothin'
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Gonna need some pine pitch, sinew and lots of hide glue!
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Pick up a book on early human tools.  It's not hard to make your own knives, spears, axes, or hand axes/Ulus.  

Hell, they're made with rocks and sticks so you can afford to experiment all you want.  Just no cheating with power tools.    

I take it you have never flintknapped before! Good luck trying to make an arrowhead just by reading a book!

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 12:58:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

chew tendons and sinews down to cord size and use that.  or use some high strength cording.  ROPE is too big.  And since you want it to be the proper technique use brass nuts and bolts and cover those with the cord.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top