Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2010 6:17:50 PM EDT
The wife and I was in western Ky this past weekend and got to do a little blackberry picking.  The next day her left leg was covered with bumps.  She has tried different shampoos and creams with no luck stopping the itch  Any advice would be appreciated

Obligatory pic of the wife (well her leg anyway).  Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]
those look like chiggers and not much you can do, just try not to scratch them too much
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#2]
i'd use a roll-on deodorant.w*rks for me
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Turkey mites and chiggers are (apparently) not the same.

Two guys at work have had them and they persist for quite some time.  I think one went to the doctor for a treatment of some sort and the other was given a take-home ointment or something.

IOW, go see a doctor.

I'd never heard of turkey mites until just recently in Indiana.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#4]
looks gnarly whatever it is
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe use some bleach after scratching them open? I know some people that do that with poison ivy.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn.  That don't look fun.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#7]
She says the itch really bad.  I counted over 170 bumps on both of her legs.  Supposedly this is a bad year for turkey mites and other critters.
SHe is afraid to scratch them open because she dosen't want them to scar.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Try dealing with them like actual turkeys. A load of 3 inch number 4 might do the trick. Make sure you use non-toxic though. You know, for her safety.

Really, go to your local drugstore and get calamine(SP??) lotion.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Ice cube on each one (one at a time), for as long as you can stand it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Found this on the intertubes:

Relief is quick and easy just go buy a bottle of lice shampoo, wash with it then take the shampoo and rub it on the areas like lotion and let it dry, if they start itching again just rub more on and let it dry. You will begin healing within a day or two and no more outbreaks. I had another friend who said that taking a bath with a couple of cap fulls of bleach in the water would work too

Makes sense..
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I have never heard of turkey mites( lone star ticks) but here is what I found.

Home treatment of turkey mites is a fairly simple and painless ordeal. Pick up a bottle of lice shampoo at your local supermarket. Take a shower or bath and wash the affected areas thoroughly with soap and water. Towel dry and then apply the medicated shampoo to any red, itchy places. Massage the shampoo into the skin and allow it to dry completely. Repeat this treatment as often as necessary; it will help to reduce the urge to scratch and help prevent the spread of the mites to other areas of the body.

Continue treatment with the shampoo for at least once a day for three days to ensure all living mites have been killed. In the meantime, collect all bedding, linens, and clothing items you have worn or come into close contact with since the probable time of infection. Wash all of those items in hot water, strong detergent and a generous measure of chlorine bleach. Dry all items in the dryer, with the temperature placed on the highest possible setting.

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The wife and I was in western Ky this past weekend and got to do a little blackberry picking.  The next day her left leg was covered with bumps.  She has tried different shampoos and creams with no luck stopping the itch  Any advice would be appreciated

Obligatory pic of the wife (well her leg anyway).  Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/windmorn/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0324.jpg

Looks more like chiggers got her. I'm familiar with turkey mites being refered to as "seed ticks"

*Take a soaking hot bath
*Apply extra strength ambesol (tooth ache med) to the bites.  Its primary ingredient is benzocaine  a topical numbing agent.
*Use benedryl topical treatment to help prevent further alergic scratching.
*If she has been scratching, Then put some neosporin on to help prevent infection.
*Apply clear nail polish to the bumps

Repeat above steps often

You can also use solar caine spray it will have a super cooling effect. However,  the ambesol works better
over all.

Not a doctor here,so take my suggestions with a grain of salt...

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Absorbine Jr. Apply liberally and often.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I got her some RId shampoo today and it didn't seem to be helping.  She has also been using some anti-itch cream as well.  Nothing is really helping stop the itching.  I was hope someone would have some first hand experience dealing with these things.  She has tried all the cures that came up on a Google search.

ETA:  They don't look like chiggers.  Chiggers usually happen on the ankles and waist line.  These are on open skin and aren't really "blistered up".
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#15]
If those are chiggers, then try nail polish. It usually helps relieve the itching.

If the bumps are weeping a lot after being scratched, it's chiggers.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If those are chiggers, then try nail polish. It usually helps relieve the itching.

If the bumps are weeping a lot after being scratched, it's chiggers.

Liquid Bandage.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top