Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2010 11:10:01 PM EDT
It seems many asian folks live on nothing else but rice, and you hear stories of POW's being fed nothing but rice.

Can you survive on rice alone?
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You need rice with some kind of protein.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#2]
My roommate did for about a year.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]
While rice makes up a large portion of their diet they do not live on it alone. Often it has fish or other sea food along with local vegtables. While you could "live" on it you would not be healthy. Lack of protien, vitamin c and other things would have you looking like Amy Winehouse after a few weeks.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#4]
No.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Only if your name is Remo Williams.

buk
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#6]
No.  You need essential amino acids which rice doesn't have.  Most bean crops have these amino acids.

Remember, you don't need any protein in you diet, just all essential amino acids.  And essential fatty acids.  With enough carbohydrates so you can synthesize all other amino and fatty acids.

It is amino world without chemists.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Rice alone no.

Rice and beans is a complete protein though, and is a staple for the majority of the world.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No.  You need essential amino acids which rice doesn't have.  Most bean crops have these amino acids.

Remember, you don't need any protein in you diet, just all essential amino acids.  And essential fatty acids.  With enough carbohydrates so you can synthesize all other amino and fatty acids.

Interesting.

So when they say "beans and rice, rice and beans", it actually means something.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 11:21:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No.

white rice is enriched with thiamine by law in the US
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know about rice, but you can survive on ramen noodles alone for a long time.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#11]
here's a simple poor peasants meal

hot bowl of rice with a raw egg on top for some protein, the egg cooks instantly over the hot rice
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.

So when they say "beans and rice, rice and beans", it actually means something.

Exactly.  Remember, the essential fatty acids are just as important.  An egg a day is all you need!  With a cup of rice.  Beans may not have enough fatty acid.  

Link Posted: 6/27/2010 1:54:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I read you don't need carbs but if you don't get fat and protein you will surely die.
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 2:02:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Eat brown rice, not that polished white vitamin-depleted crap!
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 2:39:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Ever see those pics of "fat" kids in Africa? Gigantic distended belly, but otherwise skinny as a rail?
That is what happens when you overdose on rice without enough protein.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 3:33:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I see what you did

Link Posted: 6/27/2010 4:45:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Eat brown rice, not that polished white vitamin-depleted crap!

Not even brown rice has all essential amino acids or essential fatty acids.

And to answer the question...that idiot in Alaska died of starvation because he had only rice.  And couldn't hunt to save his life.

Link Posted: 6/27/2010 4:49:09 AM EDT
[#18]
No.  Not long term.  You still need protein and other essential amino acids and vitamins.
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 4:50:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
While rice makes up a large portion of their diet they do not live on it alone. Often it has fish or other sea food along with local vegtables. While you could "live" on it you would not be healthy. Lack of protien, vitamin c and other things would have you looking like Amy Winehouse after a few weeks.

This.
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 4:54:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

No.  Not long term.  You still need protein and other essential amino acids and vitamins.

You don't need a gram of protein.  All proteins you consume are reduced to the constituent amino acids in digestion, you cannot absorb proteins.

Rice lacks a few essential amino acids.  Combining beans can offset, making for all essential amino acids.  Then your body can manufacture all other non-essential amino acids.  

Likewise with essential fatty acids, only beans and rice lack some.  So you need nuts.  Better yet, just have 2 eggs a day.  Bam, all essential amino and fatty acids.  

Link Posted: 6/27/2010 4:57:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 4:59:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Great, not even 9 Am and now I'm hungry for fucking rice.
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 5:02:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't need a gram of protein.  All proteins you consume are reduced to the constituent amino acids in digestion, you cannot absorb proteins.

Rice lacks a few essential amino acids.  Combining beans can offset, making for all essential amino acids.  Then your body can manufacture all other non-essential amino acids.  

Likewise with essential fatty acids, only beans and rice lack some.  So you need nuts.  Better yet, just have 2 eggs a day.  Bam, all essential amino and fatty acids.  

Except beans count as a protein on every food pyramid I've seen.  Adding beans is adding protein.  I don't really care what happens to the protein in the end.  I just know it is needed.

Link Posted: 6/27/2010 5:11:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Charlie can, and grow stronger too.
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 5:14:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Likewise with essential fatty acids, only beans and rice lack some.  So you need nuts. Better yet, just have 2 eggs a day.  Bam, all essential amino and fatty acids.  

The eggs also give additional B Vitamins.  Although a better source of B12 is dairy products.  A true vegan who doesn't take some kind of B12 supplement will become profoundly deficient.  The small amounts of fish or meat in most Third World diets is usually enough to supply B12.

ETA:  To answer the OP's question:  NO!
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 5:15:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Charlie did.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 5:16:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Charlie did.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I beat you to it.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 5:17:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Except beans count as a protein on every food pyramid I've seen.  Adding beans is adding protein.  I don't really care what happens to the protein in the end.  I just know it is needed.

2 problems...the food pyramids are wrong.  And not all proteins have all essential amino acids.  So while you could have all the protein the food pyramid claims you need, you still will be short of essential amino acids!  Meaning the food pyramid is WRONG!

Link Posted: 6/27/2010 5:20:21 AM EDT
[#29]
No.
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 5:22:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Rice + milk + honey/sugar = win.
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 5:23:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Charlie can, and grow stronger too.

Charlie ate it with a little rat meat.
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 5:27:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

2 problems...the food pyramids are wrong.  And not all proteins have all essential amino acids.  So while you could have all the protein the food pyramid claims you need, you still will be short of essential amino acids!  Meaning the food pyramid is WRONG!

I think we agree in reality.  We both agree that rice alone cannot sustain human life over the long term.  Proteins would have to be added and varied enough to get the necessary nutrition to live.  I wonder also about exactly how many different vitamin deficiencies there are and whicch ones can kill.  Any info on that?

Link Posted: 6/27/2010 5:28:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rice + milk + honey/sugar = win.

One of my favorite cereals.  With sugar for me please.
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 5:50:17 AM EDT
[#34]
If you eat a bunch of rice, you will suffer from elevated blood sugar levels.

I worked as a Missionary for a year, ate probably 50% of my calories from rice, you definitely feel the difference - sluggish and tire more easily.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top