Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2010 9:19:53 PM EDT
I went to renew the lease on my apartment (been living here a little over a year) and the landlord said she would need pay stubs AND a copy of my bank statement for last month. I found this to be odd as I've never heard of a landlord asking for bank statements and really don't think it is her or anybody else's business. Is this normal for them to want a copy?
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
never heard of that either

running a credit report yeah but not bank statements

Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#2]
No.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Time to find a new place.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Black out every single item but the one check paid for rent.  Maybe leave utilities open too, if you're generous.

No acct #s, no balance, nothing.

Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I've done it. Just wave some sign of financial reliability at her, nothing weird about that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Black out every single item but the one check paid for rent.  Maybe leave utilities open too, if you're generous.

No acct #s, no balance, nothing.

Only thing you need not black out is your name and name of bank
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#7]
show your pay stub but tell them to pound sand on the bank statement.

Have you ever had a problem paying your rent on time?

Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#8]
pay stub sure, bank statement go fuck yourself
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe if you were a new tenant, but I think it's bullshit for her to require that from an existing tenant. (Assuming you're a good tenant who always pays his rent on time, of course.
)

Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#10]
That's BS. Never give your bank statements to anyone. If you want to play her game just black out everything on the statement then give it to her. I would also report this to the management company.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've done it. Just wave some sign of financial reliability at her, nothing weird about that.

Like, a year's worth of rent paid on-time?

If you were just entering this place, OP, I'd say maybe.  Since you've been there a year, you tell her "you can have the forms I gave you when I signed the first lease."
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I went to renew the lease on my apartment (been living here a little over a year) and the landlord said she would need pay stubs AND a copy of my bank statement for last month.

I found this to be odd as I've never heard of a landlord asking for bank statements and really don't think it is her or anybody else's business. Is this normal for them to want a copy?

I'd tell him her to go play in traffic.

Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I went to renew the lease on my apartment (been living here a little over a year) and the landlord said she would need pay stubs AND a copy of my bank statement for last month. I found this to be odd as I've never heard of a landlord asking for bank statements and really don't think it is her or anybody else's business. Is this normal for them to want a copy?

you have already shown her that you are able to pay your rent since you have already resided in this apartment for close to a year.
I would think this should be sufficient info she needs perhaps a Credit Report but anything else as everybody has stated I would not provide to her.

Tag for update
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

He's been living there over a year

Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd ask for their bank statements, too, so that you know the property might not be foreclosed on in the future...

I've read stories before of landlords taking the rent money, then just not paying the bank...

Link Posted: 6/22/2010 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell no. Send a blacked out copy where part of the account number is visible as well as your direct deposit or manual deposit line. If that doesn't fly, submit the bird and find a new place.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#17]
That's very unusual for a renewal.  Many times prospective tenants who are self-employed/contractor or retired will be required to provide bank statements showing steady income or a certain amount of cash in the bank to qualify for new rentals. (this varies widely from owner to owner, or management company)

A> They're refinancing or selling the property, and the bank or buyer is asking for it because of shitty landlord bookkeeping.

B> New management company is taking over, many reasons come into play there... don't even know where to start.

C> You've not been 100% on time with rent recently, and they think they can fill your spot with a more qualified tenant.

As a former (Texas) landlord, I'd say no.  Worst they can do is ask you to leave at the end of your lease.  In Texas, the landlord has to give you at least as much notice of new terms for renewal as is required from you to give notice to leave.  Typically, I'd give minimum six weeks written notice for any change in terms prior to renewal, more if big changes are made.

Laws vary from state to state, but the above is almost universal.  You'll need to check with your state's landlord-tenant site for more information.

If it comes down to it, and you want to stay there despite this, all you need to show them IMO is name and either end balance OR deposits (if deposits only they might ask for three or more statements)
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 3:22:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Tell her to pound sand.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 3:39:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Fuck that.
I'd move.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 4:13:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Absolutely not!  Your renewing, not submitting an application, even then a bank statement is over the top. They are welcome to run a credit check on you though.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 4:14:56 AM EDT
[#21]
She wants to know how much to raise your rent.

Tell her to fuck off.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 4:21:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wow, that's pretty intrusive. I feel as though a credit history report would suffice.

If you have not given her cause (previous late payments, etc) there is no reason to be giving out that personal information.

Handing her a bank statement with sharpie marks all over it will only piss her off... talk to her, explain why you do not want/ should not hand this info over, and remind her of your other housing options.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 4:22:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Negative on both.

She wants more of your income. Get out now.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 4:23:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Not abnormal but there are plenty that won't ask for it.  99% of the time just printing the main page that show's current balance is more than sufficient.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 4:34:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I wouldnt want my a land lord knowing how much money I actually had...
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 4:41:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
show your pay stub but tell them to pound sand on the bank statement.

Have you ever had a problem paying your rent on time?

+1

for a NEW renter - maybe.  For a longstanding tenant with prompt paying history - there are too many places available.   If you've had problems paying in the past...  well, then is it worth the hassle to move?

Ultimately it boils down to A: is it worth jumping through hoops to avoid moving?  B:  are there better places, in better locations, for the same or less rent?    In either case, you'll probably have to do something similar if you move to a new place (including the rent up front) so it could be a wash.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top