Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2010 11:38:11 AM EDT
Price check on Colt MKIV, Series 80 1911
Saw this at the local fun shop, am told it is actually a Series 70 that Colt mismarked as a series 80.  I have no F'in idea.  I just know I don't have a 1911 yet, and it's on my bucket list.
Sorry for the crappy cell pics, and they're asking $1,000 - comes with a beat up box - condition of gun is extremely good (damn perfect actually) except for two small scratches by the take down.

Educate me, and yes I know there's a 1911 forum but I'd prefer to post here in GD with other tards like me.

Also - I have about $300 in store credit so my out the door cost would be $700.  Is it worth it?
Edit-

Alright, after doing some cursory research on these, they don't appear to be anything very wonderful - so I'll pass on this.

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#1]
i did a quick google search, and i found the series 80 introduced a firing pin safety.  if i was going to buy it under the assumption that it is a series 70, id ask the gun shop owner to remove the slide so i could inspect it.  if i find a firing pin safety on the bottom, id pass.  if you want a pretty series 80 go for it.  i personally wouldnt buy such a pretty and potentially collectible gun, because i wouldnt want to shoot it or carry it and cause holster wear.

eta if it has no firing pin safety and is marked series 80, maybe some colt collectors would want the transition model and pay a premium for it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice gun for a ridiculous price, IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess a better question for me would be:

What Colt 1911 is the best combination of decent quality/reliablity/value?

I'd like to get one someday, and the shiny black finish on the one above was appealing - and I prefer black finishes - but I don't really feel like doing a bunch of research on another type of gun.

I just would like to know what model Colt 1911 I should be looking at.  There's a gun show coming soon too, so it would give me a reason to look around.

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#4]
If it is truly a mismark, then it might be worth something.

If it's a swapped slide, then it ain't.

If it's really a Series 80, you need to change gun stores...

ETA: The true Series 70 guns were a pretty sight to behold. Gold Cups also hold their value pretty well. I personaly would never buy a 1911 with any kind of firing pin safety, unless it was one of those rarities that only came with one (I own a blued Colt Delta Elite - 10mm, only made in Series 80)
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#5]
$600?
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#6]
That price is excessive.   Look elsewhere imho.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]
You can buy a brand-new Colt 1911 Government Model re-issue for about the same price, if not a little less.
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Shop said it was built at the end of the Series 70 production, but was marked as an 80.  Could be legit, or B.S..

I don't know, but I get the feeling the 70's were more valuable?

At this point, I'm interested in knowing if the shop has an honest deal - and what Colt 1911 I really should be seeking.

I just don't feel like becoming a 1911 expert just to buy one nice Colt.

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can buy a brand-new Colt 1911 Government Model re-issue for about the same price, if not a little less.

Whats a re-issue?
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Just called the shop, there is no firing pin safety, it's original and came from the factory as is.  No slide swap, and numbers match the box.

He says it has the features of the 70, but came from Colt marked as an 80.

It is a very attractive model.

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i did a quick google search, and i found the series 80 introduced a firing pin safety.  if i was going to buy it under the assumption that it is a series 70, id ask the gun shop owner to remove the slide so i could inspect it.  if i find a firing pin safety on the bottom, id pass.  if you want a pretty series 80 go for it.  i personally wouldnt buy such a pretty and potentially collectible gun, because i wouldnt want to shoot it or carry it and cause holster wear.

eta if it has no firing pin safety and is marked series 80, maybe some colt collectors would want the transition model and pay a premium for it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Tooo much hoopla over a firing pin safety. And that gun is a shooter, nothing special in my book. Haggle the price down as far as you can without getting thrown out the door and head for the range!

If it had all the original paperwork, a pristine box, NO scratches and never had the slide worked or hammer dropped... maybe collectible depending on serial number range.

For the $1K, you can get one of the newest reproduction Series 70's NIB.

You may want to log into one of the Colt 1911 forums and ask about 'transition' models.... those truly in the know would be able to give you a finer experienced opinion about its 'potential collectability'.

For the money being asked, I'd be looking at one of the WWI/WWII reproduction series 70's... and I'd still shoot it FTW, that's what they're made for, shooting.

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

For the $1K, you can get one of the newest reproduction Series 70's NIB.

See, I didn't know this.
I expect to pay $1K for a decent 1911 (don't know why, but that's what I expect) - but I'd like to get the Colt name to match my AR.
I guess I might ask the following:
If I want a Colt 1911, in a black finish, other than in addition to the Series 70 designation  - is there anything else I should be seeking?
On the other hand, the finish on this gun in question is very nice - but even if its a mismarked 70 and worth more to a collector, doesn't it make it a PITA when trying to sell to an average Joe?

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#13]
just curious, why do you not want a Series 70?
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

just curious, why do you not want a Series 70?

I have no idea what I want.  I'd like a Colt 1911 in black - how's that for stupid reasons to want a gun?

I just want a decent deal on a respectable 1911, preferably Colt, and in black to match my firearms motif.

How's this:

I don't often shop for 1911's, but when I do - I prefer black Colts...

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#15]
$1,000 is way too much.

Yes they are out of stock at the moment, but look here- http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/141/products_id/36102

That's a NIB pistol too, with free shipping, so for $1,000, a dealer would be making $157 for about 5 minutes of paperwork.

That comes out to $1,884.00 an hour for labor
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

$1,000 is way too much.

Yes they are out of stock at the moment, but look here- http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/141/products_id/36102

That's a NIB pistol too, with free shipping, so for $1,000, a dealer would be making $157 for about 5 minutes of paperwork.

That is appealing.

See, I don't know what I want until I post some reference point on Arfcom.

I think I want that one now.

ETA - I put that on my Buds "wish list" - so I'll get an email when they come back in stock.

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Unless you're willing to save more $$ and get an 'original' shooter, this would do...

WWI Reproduction

However, I did find a review but I'm not sure it applies to this WWI model...

Series 70 reproduction review

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Or, you can hold out, search on gunbroker or gunsamerica and find a really nice gold cup that hasn't been altered.

I like black pistols too!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
$1,000 is way too much.

That is appealing.

ETA - I put that on my Buds "wish list" - so I'll get an email when they come back in stock.

That's what I was going to recommend, but you said you didn't want a 70 series gun
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
$1,000 is way too much.

That is appealing.

Yeah I've been wanting one too for a while!  But I need to save all the money I can at the moment.  If you end up getting one, post up a good review with lots of pics so I can drool
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That's what I was going to recommend, but you said you didn't want a 70 series gun

I didn't want to give that impression, and I didn't think I posted that - but if I did it was not my intention.
I just want a reliable, respected name brand, 1911 type EBP.

ETA -  I edited a post above with a strike through where my intention could be misconstrued.  I said "other than a series 70 designation, .... I meant "in addition to the series 70 designation" - like Galactic Commander or something

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Price check on Colt MKIV, Series 80 1911

Saw this at the local fun shop, am told it is actually a Series 70 that Colt mismarked as a series 80.  I have no F'in idea.  I just know I don't have a 1911 yet, and it's on my bucket list.

Sorry for the crappy cell pics, and they're asking $1,000
- comes with a beat up box - condition of gun is extremely good (damn perfect actually) except for two small scratches by the take down.

I'd have a hard time getting past the fact that it's supposed to be a Series 70 that Colt mismarked as a Seies 80. Possible? I guess, but to double check I'd at least check the box to see if it's labeled as such on the original label, if it's on that box.

$1,000.00? Too much.

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#23]
For the Series 70 Reproductions, do they pay just as much attention to detail, like the collet bushings?
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#24]
It appears Buds doesn't have ANY Colt pistols in stock.

Is that normal?  Do they bring in a pile, then sell out?  No inventory?

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#25]
No such animal.

Parts gun at best.

Pass is right!
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
For the Series 70 Reproductions, do they pay just as much attention to detail, like the collet bushings?

the new series 70 does not have a collet bushing
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It appears Buds doesn't have ANY Colt pistols in stock.

Is that normal?  Do they bring in a pile, then sell out?  No inventory?

yeah its normal

you can get a better colt then that made new. with better features

take a look at the colt XSE 1911 gov.   has a black finish. ambi saftey, and novak low mount combat sights, and  tighter then  stock tolerances, adn a few other nice semi custom touches. all for around 800
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#28]
You can see the firing pin block without disassembling the pistol. Simply lock the slide to the rear and look at the exposed underside of the slide.
The round part:

The flat metal part in the frame pushes up and disengages the firing pin block when the trigger is pulled. Many people don't like this feature because it can negatively affect trigger feel.

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#29]
For $1K buy a Colt rail gun
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I have had an identical condition one (true 80 series)on the EE here for $700 for weeks with no bites,so I would say $1000 is a bit out of line.  TJR
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#31]
If I already had a $300 store credit and I just needed to pony up $700 in cash I'd buy it and shoot it until they stop making .45 ACP ammo or I ran out of money to buy reloading components.

There may be some value in having a mis-marked pistol slide but it has no meaning to me good or bad.

It's a Colt without the 80's guts –– it would make a great blaster and will be for your son or grandkids when you pass on.
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That price is excessive.   Look elsewhere imho.  

So far out of line, not worth haggling.
Go elsewhere.

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I wouldn't pay more than $650 for that blued pre-enhanced Series 80 MKIV Colt Government Model
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top