Site Notices
7/29/2014 4:02:36 PM
7/28/2014 11:40:43 AM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 6/8/2010 11:22:40 PM
Starting to hear fireworks in my neighborhood and I got to wondering why that big ass illegal firecracker is called an M-80, Or M-100, or M-1000 or whatever.
Was it originally a Military explosive or something? What does the 80 mean?
(yeah, I could google it, but arfcom is better than google!)
realwar
Silence!!!! I keel you!!!
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2010 11:24:35 PM
Real M-1000 are cool as hell. You will know when one goes off sounds like tannerite.
Lightning_P38
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2010 11:25:17 PM
[Last Edit: 6/8/2010 11:26:34 PM by Lightning_P38]
It is just a name game. I don't know if any specific firecracker has ever been banned or not, but I don't think so.

As far as I know it started with the M-60, then somebody came out with an M-80, and told everybody that the M-60 was really a quarter stick of dynamite, and was banned, but the M-80 was just as powerful, but not banned yet. Then the M-100, then how knows.

ETA: I am pretty sure that the original M-60's were made in the factory that Mattel used to make M16 rifles in.
DrMark
Diet Mountain Dewaholic
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2010 11:28:58 PM
I think many years ago the military had an explosive called the M80, used for simulating artillery.

RIP - John Dean "Jeff" Cooper
RIP - Wayne Henry Cobb Jr. (Eric the Hun)
Theo
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2010 11:31:12 PM
Originally Posted By DrMark:
I think many years ago the military had an explosive called the M80, used for simulating artillery.

this
Well, I was lying there looking up at all the dials and buttons and toggle switches on the control panel, and I thought to myself, Good God, this thing was built by the lowest bidder.
--astronaut Wally Schirra
brucers99
Gun Toting Attorney
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2010 11:31:36 PM
M-80s are a class of large firecrackers, sometimes called salutes.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_%28explosive%29#cite_note-FW-GLOSS-S-0][1][/url] The Simulator, Artillery, M80, was originally made in the early 20th century by the U.S. Military to simulate explosives or artillery fire;[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_%28explosive%29#cite_note-1][2][/url] later, they were manufactured as fireworks. Traditionally, M-80s were made from a small red cardboard tube approximately 1½ inches (3.8 cm) long and 9/165/8 inches (1.4–1.6 cm) in diameter, with a Visco fuse coming out of the side, holding approximately 2½–3 grams of pyrotechnic flash powder; one source states that an M-80 has at least 3 grams of explosive.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_%28explosive%29#cite_note-2][3][/url] For comparison, the Quarter stick contains 20 grams of explosive.

[edit] Early use and USA legislation

Due to property damages and bodily harm caused by M-80s, Class C fireworks—now known as Consumer Fireworks (class 1.4G), as opposed to Display Fireworks (which were Class B, and are now 1.3G)[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_%28explosive%29#cite_note-CLASSIFICATIONS-3][4][/url]— civilians are no longer allowed to carry a pyrotechnic device containing more than 50 milligrams of pyrotechnic flash powder. In 1966, M-80s and cherry bombs were banned by the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and the Child Protection Act of 1966. Furthermore, they were then made illegal by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) in the 1970s. In 1975, U.S. federal regulations were passed to limit all consumer-grade fireworks in the United States to a maximum of 50 milligrams flash powder, down from a previous maximum of 200 milligrams (though firecrackers mounted onto a rocket stick, or other aerial firework devices, such as Rockets, Roman Candles, and Cakes, may have up to 160 mg).

Half Sticks are 10 times bigger than M80s therefore numerous injuries accompanied their use during the 1950s and 1960s, and still occur, as M-80s are still produced and sold primarily on Indian reservations.[citation needed] Despite instructions to only ignite the product on the ground (many M-80s even have the words "do not hold in hand" written on the tube[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_%28explosive%29#cite_note-FW-GLOSS-S-0][1][/url]), many users attempt to light an M-80 while holding it, then throw it before it explodes. Others attempt to relight a device that went out. Due to their illicit nature, M-80s may also contain unstable compositions, which add to the possibility of injury. There have been documented cases of users losing their fingers or hands[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_%28explosive%29#cite_note-CPSC-4][5][/url]. Peter Criss, drummer for the rock band Kiss, was a victim of an M-80 during a 1976 Richmond Coliseum concert when a fan threw an M-80 onto the stage, nearly knocking him off his drum riser and leaving him with partial hearing loss for the remainder of the night.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_%28explosive%29#cite_note-5][6][/url]

[edit] Modern use

M-80s can still be legally manufactured in the United States by those holding a federal explosives license. Federal and state officials sometimes distribute them to farmers to scare away wildlife encroaching on their crops.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_%28explosive%29#cite_note-6][7][/url]

While there are currently many firecrackers sold legally in the United States today to consumers under names such as "M-80 Firecracker", "M-8000", or "M-##" (where ## is a number), all of these contain no more than 50 mg of flash powder, and the name is just a lure to make consumers think they are more powerful than they are. These firecrackers most commonly have a small capsule with up to 50 mg of powder and a fuse in it. Surrounding the capsule is plaster or a similar material, and finally a red tube and two plastic endcaps. Because of the size of these firecrackers, buyers are occasionally deceived into thinking that the entire tube is full. Also the fuse, at times, protrudes from the ends of these firecrackers, as opposed to the middle of the tube in real M-80s. Genuine M-80s have paper endcaps, and contain 50–60 times more powder. (Contrary to urban legend, an M-80 that contains 3,000 mg of powder is not equivalent to a quarter-stick of dynamite. Dynamite contains a stable nitroglycerin based high explosive, whereas M-80s or any other kind of firecracker contains a low explosive powder, like flash powder or black powder.)[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_%28explosive%29#cite_note-8][9][/url]

M-80s containing the full original explosive charge continue to be manufactured, bought, and used illegally in the United States. However, in many other countries where regulations are less stringent, large firecrackers such as the M-80 and its equivalents continue to be legally produced, sold, and used. Note that in spite of their destructive potential, M-80's and other salutes are not technically explosives. They do not produce shock waves, and they do not exhibit the Munroe effect. However, several governments have classified such large salutes as explosive devices, due to their potential for personal harm.

If a man's home is his castle, then his neighborhood is his kingdom. You cannot let anarchy reign in the streets and expect to be safe in your home. - ShaneS February 27, 2008
P08
WAIT FOR IT!
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2010 11:32:09 PM
Back in the 70's before they banned them there were M80's, Cherry bombs and Silver salutes. I think it was just a name for the cracker. All three were loud and would shred your hand if you held onto them. My dad would give them to us as kids on the 4th. Good times!
He said "Yes you did" I said "No I didn't" she said "Yes you did" then I said "Nuh uh" they said "Uh huh" then I said, If it is gonna be that kind of party I'm stickin my dick in the mashed potatoes.
JEC
Consistently Inconsistent
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2010 11:32:59 PM
I'd heard (as a kid) that the M-80 was named for having approimately the exlosive power of 1/8 of a stick of dynamite.
I don't know if that's true.
Thunder900
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2010 11:34:50 PM
Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
It is just a name game. I don't know if any specific firecracker has ever been banned or not, but I don't think so.

As far as I know it started with the M-60, then somebody came out with an M-80, and told everybody that the M-60 was really a quarter stick of dynamite, and was banned, but the M-80 was just as powerful, but not banned yet. Then the M-100, then how knows.

ETA: I am pretty sure that the original M-60's were made in the factory that Mattel used to make M16 rifles in.

Firecrackers become illegal when there is more than 50mg of flash powder in them. Anything larger than that, you need a special license. 1.3g salutes are the bomb, when you can get them legally and possess the proper credentials.
SuperJanitor
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2010 11:35:15 PM
[Last Edit: 6/8/2010 11:36:36 PM by SuperJanitor]
Originally Posted By P08:
Back in the 70's before they banned them there were M80's, Cherry bombs and Silver salutes. I think it was just a name for the cracker. All three were loud and would shred your hand if you held onto them. My dad would give them to us as kids on the 4th. Good times!

Yeah, ask anyone 40-ish or older about a cherry bomb and they'll tell you some stories. Ask a kid and you'll get the deer in the headlights look.

The nanny state has to protect us from ourselves, you know.
realwar
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2010 11:43:36 PM
You gotta watch out for some of them because some of the fuses burn quicker than others. I seen a guy light one one time and as soon as the fuse lit it went off...
Darrellbear
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2010 11:46:39 PM
I won't link it, but go over to the Gun Zone and look up its Darwin Award candidates. There's a pic of a guy who put an M80 in his mouth and set it off. It's truly awful.
ZedsDeadBaby
word.
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2010 11:51:37 PM
I had some M-80s once.

Real ones. Those things were very powerful, more so than a simple firecraker.
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to Regular Heaven or Pie Heaven, choose Pie Heaven. It might be a trick, but if not…mmmmm, boy!" -Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
70satvert
I love bourbon and wear a tinfoil viking hat.
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2010 11:54:45 PM
Sparklers are always a lot of fun.
Visualize grilled cheese.
http://www.mississippimeteorology.com/
adi
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2010 11:57:08 PM
You're gonna stand there, ownin' a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistlin' bungholes, no spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser?

TecRsq
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 12:16:17 AM

Originally Posted By adi:
You're gonna stand there, ownin' a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistlin' bungholes, no spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser?

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
qfast817
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 12:17:20 AM

nothing better than joe dirt

JarheadPatriot
I got kicked out of recess, 'cause I don't play!
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 12:19:39 AM

Originally Posted By JEC:
I'd heard (as a kid) that the M-80 was named for having approimately the exlosive power of 1/8 of a stick of dynamite.
I don't know if that's true.

I heard something similar. A H-100 was a 1/4 stick of TNT, and an M-80 was half of that.
WHAT NOW?

2nd BN, D Co., Plt. 2025, 4/4/88

Charlie don't surf! And neither does Mohammed!
subjectofcalifornia
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 12:27:21 AM
A neighbor of mine back in the '80's used to get us "Seal Bommbs" They where yellow and about twice as long as a M-80. They had a waterproof fuse, we would save them for times when the drainage ditch would flood.

One half of it was sawdust to make them float about 3-4 feet under water . When th editch was moving swiftly they would blow about 12' away! it was a good time to be had!
realwar
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 12:28:59 AM

ArimoDave
Meet George *below*
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 12:33:18 AM
Originally Posted By SuperJanitor:
Originally Posted By P08:

Yeah, ask anyone 40-ish or older about a cherry bomb and they'll tell you some stories. Ask a kid and you'll get the deer in the headlights look.

The nanny state has to protect us from ourselves, you know.

Yep. While in Jr. High the rage was for the misfits to flush cherry bombs in the toilets. On several occasions one or another of the boy's bathrooms was closed due to drain plumbing failures.
The First Amendment was designed to protect offensive speech, because nobody ever tries to ban the other kind---Mike Godwin
Nozzelnut
This space for rent.
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 12:36:44 AM
[Last Edit: 6/9/2010 12:38:35 AM by Nozzelnut]
Joe Dirt fireworks scene embed fail
" I feel sorry for the people that don't drink; because when they wake up that's as good as they're gonna feel all day."
UZI4you
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 12:38:57 AM
I work at a fireworks stand I laugh at everyone who walks in looking for M-80s.

I really like the kids (10 to 15 year olds) who say they know where they can buy M-80s, I always tell them they have been banned before they were born.
USC45
Healbot
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 12:39:37 AM
I used to have gross cases of these packed into a larger case. We shot them all of during the 80s. I wanna say we got em from a Govt ugh place.
http://www.ump45.com/
TheYellowThing
License to slouch
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 12:57:33 AM
[Last Edit: 6/9/2010 12:59:33 AM by TheYellowThing]
MYTHBUSTERS material. Will an M-80 or "cherrybomb", placed under an upturned garbage can, propel a person sitting upon it airborne?

edited for some clarity

-GunNutJuell-
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 1:01:04 AM
Originally Posted By UZI4you:

I really like the kids (10 to 15 year olds) who say they know where they can buy M-80s, I always tell them they have been banned before they were born.

When I was in highschool me and a bud went to "The" stand that sold bigger illegal stuff. The guy kept asking me if I was a cop, and if I was, I had to tell him. I LOL'd. He kept telling me they were illegal too. I think he figured that would make me want them more or something.
He had this garbage bag FULL of M-80's, coke can sized ones, tennis ball shaped ones, etc. He wanted $2 a pop for the M-80's!
I bought two and thanked him. They were neat, but not $2 neat, or bloody stump worthy.
Xela
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 1:30:23 AM
I use to get real m80s as a kid off the Indians on the reservation by my house. They call them K88s, k100s, and k1000s. They were homemade with tons of flash powder, in a cardboard tube with a waterproof wick. They were strong enough to blow mailboxes, roadkill, or anything else we could stuff them in.
ultramagbrion
GUERRILLA MACHINIST
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 1:32:58 AM
Originally Posted By brucers99:
M-80s are a class of large firecrackers, sometimes called salutes.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_%28explosive%29#cite_note-FW-GLOSS-S-0][1][/url] The Simulator, Artillery, M80, was originally made in the early 20th century by the U.S. Military to simulate explosives or artillery fire;[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_%28explosive%29#cite_note-1][2][/url] later, they were manufactured as fireworks. Traditionally, M-80s were made from a small red cardboard tube approximately 1½ inches (3.8 cm) long and 9/165/8 inches (1.4–1.6 cm) in diameter, with a Visco fuse coming out of the side, holding approximately 2½–3 grams of pyrotechnic flash powder; one source states that an M-80 has at least 3 grams of explosive.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_%28explosive%29#cite_note-2][3][/url] For comparison, the Quarter stick contains 20 grams of explosive.

[edit] Early use and USA legislation

Due to property damages and bodily harm caused by M-80s, Class C fireworks—now known as Consumer Fireworks (class 1.4G), as opposed to Display Fireworks (which were Class B, and are now 1.3G)[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_%28explosive%29#cite_note-CLASSIFICATIONS-3][4][/url]— civilians are no longer allowed to carry a pyrotechnic device containing more than 50 milligrams of pyrotechnic flash powder. In 1966, M-80s and cherry bombs were banned by the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and the Child Protection Act of 1966. Furthermore, they were then made illegal by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) in the 1970s. In 1975, U.S. federal regulations were passed to limit all consumer-grade fireworks in the United States to a maximum of 50 milligrams flash powder, down from a previous maximum of 200 milligrams (though firecrackers mounted onto a rocket stick, or other aerial firework devices, such as Rockets, Roman Candles, and Cakes, may have up to 160 mg).

Half Sticks are 10 times bigger than M80s therefore numerous injuries accompanied their use during the 1950s and 1960s, and still occur, as M-80s are still produced and sold primarily on Indian reservations.[citation needed] Despite instructions to only ignite the product on the ground (many M-80s even have the words "do not hold in hand" written on the tube[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_%28explosive%29#cite_note-FW-GLOSS-S-0][1][/url]), many users attempt to light an M-80 while holding it, then throw it before it explodes. Others attempt to relight a device that went out. Due to their illicit nature, M-80s may also contain unstable compositions, which add to the possibility of injury. There have been documented cases of users losing their fingers or hands[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_%28explosive%29#cite_note-CPSC-4][5][/url]. Peter Criss, drummer for the rock band Kiss, was a victim of an M-80 during a 1976 Richmond Coliseum concert when a fan threw an M-80 onto the stage, nearly knocking him off his drum riser and leaving him with partial hearing loss for the remainder of the night.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_%28explosive%29#cite_note-5][6][/url]

[edit] Modern use

M-80s can still be legally manufactured in the United States by those holding a federal explosives license. Federal and state officials sometimes distribute them to farmers to scare away wildlife encroaching on their crops.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_%28explosive%29#cite_note-6][7][/url]

While there are currently many firecrackers sold legally in the United States today to consumers under names such as "M-80 Firecracker", "M-8000", or "M-##" (where ## is a number), all of these contain no more than 50 mg of flash powder, and the name is just a lure to make consumers think they are more powerful than they are. These firecrackers most commonly have a small capsule with up to 50 mg of powder and a fuse in it. Surrounding the capsule is plaster or a similar material, and finally a red tube and two plastic endcaps. Because of the size of these firecrackers, buyers are occasionally deceived into thinking that the entire tube is full. Also the fuse, at times, protrudes from the ends of these firecrackers, as opposed to the middle of the tube in real M-80s. Genuine M-80s have paper endcaps, and contain 50–60 times more powder. (Contrary to urban legend, an M-80 that contains 3,000 mg of powder is not equivalent to a quarter-stick of dynamite. Dynamite contains a stable nitroglycerin based high explosive, whereas M-80s or any other kind of firecracker contains a low explosive powder, like flash powder or black powder.)[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_%28explosive%29#cite_note-8][9][/url]

M-80s containing the full original explosive charge continue to be manufactured, bought, and used illegally in the United States. However, in many other countries where regulations are less stringent, large firecrackers such as the M-80 and its equivalents continue to be legally produced, sold, and used. Note that in spite of their destructive potential, M-80's and other salutes are not technically explosives. They do not produce shock waves, and they do not exhibit the Munroe effect. However, several governments have classified such large salutes as explosive devices, due to their potential for personal harm.

Thankee sai
......and the road becomes my bride.
Proud sponsor of Ranstad's Militia and americansnipers.org
kap_x
Amphigorous Xylopolist
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 1:33:35 AM
[Last Edit: 6/9/2010 1:34:02 AM by kap_x]
I believe all firecrackers are now limited to 50mg grains of flash powder

ETA: Should have read the wiki entry
I love Man vs. Nature threads!
Hoppy
The one and only.
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 1:38:07 AM
Originally Posted By TheYellowThing:
MYTHBUSTERS material. Will an M-80 or "cherrybomb", placed under an upturned garbage can, propel a person sitting upon it airborne?

edited for some clarity

No, it will just blow a hole in the side of the can.

They will take out a rural mailbox though (I was a kid in the 50's and 60's).

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
bluetick357
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 2:00:37 AM
I may or may not have a large bag of M-80s,I think I may have lit 3 in the past 5 years.They are certainly not to be messed with...I mean run like hell if you intend to set one off.
marksman121
FU whale, FU dolpheen!
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 2:04:56 AM
Kinda like a Class C model rocket engine that CATOs...
"It says......'You're shit out of luck. *BAM* '” - Harry Callahan
BikerTrashXx4
Hooligan
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 2:18:46 AM
Ok, how about this: I know a guy who has a fireworks license of sorts, he can get stuff bigger then an average consumer, I am guessing it is some kind of business thing. Anyway, about 10 years ago I went to his July 4th party. Before his 45 minute aerial display, he had some big boomers that looked like softballs and sounded like dynamite. Anyone know what I am talking about, or were they homemade?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of themself without that law is both.
Barrelburner
Crackerhead
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 2:20:26 AM
I once put a M1000 into a restaurant-style 5-gallon bucket, hoping to launch it.

Blew that bucket into a million pieces
I don't want to spend the rest of my life
Looking at the barrel of an Armalite
-----------------------------------------
Got an AK-47 for his best friend...business the American way
mattja
What he lacks in lean, he makes up for with mean.
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 2:25:12 AM
We had cherry bombs and M80's year round when I was a kid. Although, we didn't do anywhere near the crazy stuff my dad and his friends did in the 1930's. He has stories of kids blowing up toilets and stuff like that. Throwing cherry bombs at each other for fun.
"Okay, but I'm not good at details, or the big picture. I also show up late, and drunk. I've got a good feeling about this."
- Homer Simpson
TheOtherDave
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 2:55:21 AM
Originally Posted By -GunNutJuell-:
Starting to hear fireworks in my neighborhood and I got to wondering why that big ass illegal firecracker is called an M-80, Or M-100, or M-1000 or whatever.
Was it originally a Military explosive or something? What does the 80 mean?
(yeah, I could google it, but arfcom is better than google!)

Because they'd get sued if they printed "Glock" on the side.

(I get a pass on these jokes, one of mine really did blow up)
Crude
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 2:58:47 AM
My grandpa that passed away last year had a coffee can with "cherry bombs" in it. I actually believe him as he had those kind of connections and they were louder than anything I've ever seen. He brings out the can and goes "I thought it was ok to mix em with smoke bombs, only now I can't tell a difference" Sure enough, first one was red smoke...second knocked a full soda can that was left after a hasty retreat over.
jonrowe2020
A wolf among sheep.
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 3:08:30 AM
we had "H-1000" we taped um up to arrows, lit em then shoot them off a cross bow. Lots of fun, you could feel the explosion in your chest.
"Stand Tall, Shoot First!"
Citabria7GCBC
Sit-ah-bre-ah 7GCBC
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 3:10:31 AM
Originally Posted By Hoppy:
Originally Posted By TheYellowThing:

edited for some clarity

No, it will just blow a hole in the side of the can.

They will take out a rural mailbox though (I was a kid in the 50's and 60's).

Yes it will!!!

Its where we get the term "shit hits the fan."

The explosive scares the shit out of someone inside the can so bad that it propells them upward.
[NO TEXT]
Floppy_833
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 3:10:55 AM
I once read in an old book that at one time (several decades ago) a cherry bomb was equal to four M-80's, or 160 firecrackers.
So from that it can be assumed that one M-80 = 40 firecrackers.

––––––

The stuff in the US today is pretend stuff, it's nowhere near what it used to be.
~
Hoppy
The one and only.
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 5:20:36 AM
Originally Posted By Floppy_833:
I once read in an old book that at one time (several decades ago) a cherry bomb was equal to four M-80's, or 160 firecrackers.
So from that it can be assumed that one M-80 = 40 firecrackers.

––––––

The stuff in the US today is pretend stuff, it's nowhere near what it used to be.
~

M80's and cherry bombs were about the same, maybe a little edge to the M80.

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
SrBenelli
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 7:44:21 AM
Back when I lived up in NY, we used to be able to get "the good stuff" by going into Chinatown in NYC.

Wanna' have some fun? Duct tape an M-80 to a can of starting fluid, then chuck it REAL FAR! Nice fireball!
Smith & Wesson makes a 1911.......... Sig Sauer makes a 1911..........

.....................when Glock comes out with their 1911, a whole lotta' Glock people are going to need therapy!
eodtech2000
Fire in the Hole!!!!
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 8:36:25 AM
[Last Edit: 6/9/2010 8:41:03 AM by eodtech2000]
Here you go from NAVORD OP 2213, First Revision Change 19, 1 Oct 1965/ 1st Change 1 Jan 1969. This is all unclassified and in the public domain now.

Originally Posted By EdAvilaSr:
And i am writing from my office (on the 1st floor, not the basement) and if I read another personal attack I will lock the account............... like a hurricane would hit a screen door.
P08
WAIT FOR IT!
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 11:09:06 AM
I just remembered this, we used to take 8oz rockets and pull the nose cone off. Fill the tip with some red dot powder and put a cherry bomb on the tip. Instead of a wimpy few lady fingers you got a good whomp at the end.
He said "Yes you did" I said "No I didn't" she said "Yes you did" then I said "Nuh uh" they said "Uh huh" then I said, If it is gonna be that kind of party I'm stickin my dick in the mashed potatoes.
Taboot
Right wing conspirator
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 11:12:43 AM
We used to put M80s in a thick walled aluminum tube and jam a tennis ball into the end before it went off. The height and speed were impressive.
If you gotta shoot, shoot. Don't talk. -Tuco

This guy is destroying our country. - Mark Levin

Matt_The_Hokie
LMT For Me
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 11:21:05 AM
My dad has told me on various occasions as a child he would make tennis ball mortars using a metal pipe, a tennis ball and an m80 or cherry bomb as the propellant. Said he could get upwards of 200ft.
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth" - George Washington
-GunNutJuell-
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 11:24:48 AM
Originally Posted By eodtech2000:
Here you go from NAVORD OP 2213, First Revision Change 19, 1 Oct 1965/ 1st Change 1 Jan 1969. This is all unclassified and in the public domain now.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee46/eodtech2000/eod/m80-0.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee46/eodtech2000/eod/m80-1.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee46/eodtech2000/eod/m80-2.jpg

Well that settles it! Thanks!
dedfella
scrap connoisseur
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 11:29:56 AM
M80s seemed to have more destructive power.

Cherry bombs seemed to have a louder bang.

In the long ago I remember witnessing 2 teenage guys (I was maybe 10) rig up a plastic rocket with 2 cherry bombs attached.

Using some conglomeration of tape and fuse they launched the rocket over main street in the little one horse town I grew up in. The rocket went up, the cherry bombs lit and fell away. They detonated almost simultaneously about 4 feet from the plate glass window of the Drug Store. Broke the window and lights came on all over town. I was with an older cousin and we GTFO before the popo showed up.
regrettably remorseless
Windustsearch
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 11:43:37 AM
Every Halloween the trees are filled with underwear, and every spring the toilets explode.

RenegadeX
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 11:53:02 AM

Originally Posted By UZI4you:

banned != not for sale

Like most things, they can be bought on the black market.
CBR900
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 12:02:36 PM
Originally Posted By mattja:
We had cherry bombs and M80's year round when I was a kid. Although, we didn't do anywhere near the crazy stuff my dad and his friends did in the 1930's. He has stories of kids blowing up toilets and stuff like that. Throwing cherry bombs at each other for fun.

Lemme guess: bought @ the Sausalito flea market?
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2