Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 30
Posted: 6/1/2010 12:14:21 PM EDT
I used to hunt Elk in an area of the Oregon Coast range known as God's Valley. My best friends father introduced us to this area. It was a large farmstead in the middle of the Tillamook State Forest that had been abandoned to the state when the owner died in the 1940's. All that was left were several large grass fields surrounded by dense forest.  It was prime elk habitat as the elk would come down to the fields to graze at night. My friend and I noticed some strange things about the area while camping in the summer and hunting in the fall. There was an area about 1/2 mile from camp we referred to as the Dead Zone. It was a strange area that gave us bad vibes. The forest would be alive with game and game trails. Elk, pheasant, squirrel, coyote etc. Then almost like crossing a line painted on the ground there was an area about 1/4 mile long where nothing and I mean nothing, lived. No game trails, no squirrels barking, not even birds in the trees, no sounds, even the air was still. Then 1/4 mile later you would cross another invisible line and bam! The forest would be alive again. That was the Dead Zone.

September 30th 1994 I left work that Friday, packed then headed to God's Valley for the Opening day of Coast Black tail Deer season. God's Valley was not a real good area for deer but I was by myself and didn't know any other a hunting areas very well. After driving for about 2.5 hours I left the blacktop and was on the logging roads. At the time God's Valley was at the end of a dead end logging road 7 miles from the highway. During elk season there are dozens of camps and RV's parked along the road and several down at God's Valley. I was quite surprised that when I arrived to the valley at about midnight it was deserted and I did not see a single camp or RV the entire way in.

I pulled all the way into the large U shaped clearing. At the bottom of the U was a huge old growth Douglas Fir with a rock firepit close by. I parked about 30 feet from the tree and left my headlights shining on its base while I set up camp. I had Black Sabbath turned way up as I unpacked my truck.  About 20 minutes later I was bent over setting up my dome tent when the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I turned my head and thought I heard a commotion coming from the woods. It was hard to hear over the music. I walked to the drivers door of my truck and turned the music down. I listened and heard nothing so I shrugged it off, turned my music up and went back to work.

A couple minutes later I distinctly heard a loud snap of a breaking branch to the left of my camp. I walked to my truck and turned my music off again.  I listened intently for at least a minute then I heard a very light rustle of leaves and a twig snap. The sound came from the woods on the other side of a 50 foot long blackberry bush that ended just short of the big old growth tree. About a minute later I heard another soft footfall. Then another. At the time it reminded me of my own sounds when quietly stalking game through the forest.  For some reason I thought it was another hunter or someone playing a joke. I called out "Hello, someone there?!"  Silence, nothing. About another full minute later another couple of soft crunches. There is a game trail on the other side of the blackberry's. Whatever is making the sound is on the trail and slowly coming closer to where the blackberries end at the base of the tree.

By this point Im getting nervous. Maybe it’s a drunk hunter playing games but Im by myself 7 miles into one of the thickest forests in the US. I was carrying a revolver in a shoulder holster. My rifle and speed loaders were cased and  underneath a ton of shit behind the seat.

I drew my revolver and yelled “Hey quit fucking around, I got a gun and this shit ain’t funny!”  No response, nothing. I figured I would either hear a man running away, busting brush of an animal running or something but there was only silence. About a minute later I can hear more creeping steps along the trail. It’s get closer to the gap between the blackberries and the tree. Perhaps 30 feet away now. My headlights are shining on the bottom of the tree but I still can’t see anything.

I made the loudest most guttural scream I could muster. I could hear it echo through the valley. More silence. A minute later more quiet stalking footsteps. Im 6’3, 260 lbs. It sounds like a man my size or better trying to be quiet. Two legs? I see a large shadow move into the gap and behind the tree. The tree is about 5 feet wide. I am now scared for my life. I fire a round high up into the tree.  The gunshot echoed for a long time. I saw part of a tall shape and yellowish eyes peer at me from behind the tree. I screamed as loud as I could and fired two more shots into the tree. The shots echoed for along time then silence. I didn’t see it anymore. I stood there waiting. I had 2 or 3 shots left. I wasn’t sure. After about half a minute it just walked away into the woods. It was no longer trying to be quiet but it wasn’t in a hurry. It just walked away into the darkness. I listened for a couple minutes until I couldn’t hear it anymore. I picked up my entire set up dome tent, threw it in the back of my truck. I threw my pots, pans and cooler and everything else on top. I was out of there and back on the gravel road 90 seconds later.

I drove the 2 and ½ hours back to Portland shaking. I arrived at my friends house at about 3 in the morning. I woke him up and told him what happened. The next afternoon  we packed several rifles and drove back. I had to show him and see if we could find anything. It looked much different in the daylight. We parked at the base of the tree and looked around.  On the trail behind the tree we could clearly see  it’s prints in the soft earth. It’s prints were almost half again as large as my size 13 boots. The footprints were so far apart that I had to stretch my legs as far as they would go to match the stride.

Since then I no longer go into the forest alone and I hunt with an FN FAL.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Ostrich.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#3]
actor from "SCARE TACTICS" practicing....

ETA...I love stories like this....
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#4]
possum
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Since then I no longer go into the forest alone and I hunt with an FN FAL.

Wear your ICP makeup next time too, the BigFoot probably won't know what to make of you and he'll run off
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#7]
in on one!
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Why do these stories always have a part about "the hair on the back of my neck standing up?"  I'm pretty sure field biologists don't get a spooky feeling when they are in the vicinity of other undiscovered species.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#9]
So it was just checking you out, and you start shooting? I'll bet it just wanted a ride somewhere, just like in those jerky commercials.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
in on one!

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Oregon. Check

Sasquatch. Check

FAL. Check

Carry on.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#12]
What ever happened to identifying your target?  There's a reason why we don't shoot every scary noise we hear in the woods.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Fucking Bigfoot, where is he at?
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#14]
What you didn’t see was the rest of the pack. They are not a solitary animal but travel in family groups. You will usually only see one though, the rest are watching to see your reaction.

At least that’s what someone else here claimed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#15]
If you'd shot between those yellow eyes you might be rich and famous beyond your wildest dreams as the guy who actually bagged a Bigfoot.

But Obama would be pissed that his wife's gone missing.

CJ

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Pot grower?
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What ever happened to identifying your target?  There's a reason why we don't shoot every scary noise we hear in the woods.    

I don't think "hunters" identify targets. They hear something or see movement and start shooting. How else to people dressed in dayglo orange get shot every year?
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#18]
This is one myth that I just can't even fake being interested in. The only bigfoot I saw was when I took my shoe off.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I think I've read some of your "Dear Penthouse" stories .
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#20]
PICS?
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#21]
they are aliens that are vacationing on earth that's  why there are no bones....  
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for posting your story. You should have taken pics or cast of the foot prints though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
possum

What else could it possibly be?
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#25]
the only real problem about posting stories like this is the ridicule and non-belief...I do not believe in Bigfoot/aliens. etc...

but I do love the stories....

so OP take all the responses with thick skin....
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why do these stories always have a part about "the hair on the back of my neck standing up?"  I'm pretty sure field biologists don't get a spooky feeling when they are in the vicinity of other undiscovered species.

That’s how them sasquatches stay undiscovered. They have telepathy and can cloud men’s minds. But it doesn’t always work apparently. Perhaps that sensation is the result of this.

That’s probably why the sasquatch only show themselves one at a time. They send one member of the pack out to see if you are immune to sasquatch mind control.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Tagged. Can't say I'm a big believer in teh bigfeets, but threads about them have potential to become interesting to read nonetheless.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Fuck bigfoot, I would rape that motherfucker if I ever saw one. God damn welfare leech living off the land like some fucking bush hippie retard.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't normally, but...

IN
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#30]
bull fuckin shit on the bigfoot stories. In the history of man kind one person hasnt dropped the hammer on one, found a dead one, found bones of a dead one, taken a decent picture or anything concrete. A animal that size would be a busy mother just eating to stay alive, that means travel and lots of it. Its 2010 for god sakes people thats a long damn time to find one of those fuckers by now.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
possum

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Why is it I feel I read this story before some where?

Just not the part about the FN FAL.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
bull fuckin shit on the bigfoot stories. In the history of man kind one person hasnt dropped the hammer on one, found a dead one, found bones of a dead one, taken a decent picture or anything concrete. A animal that size would be a busy mother just eating to stay alive, that means travel and lots of it. Its 2010 for god sakes people thats a long damn time to find one of those fuckers by now.

That I could understand.

It's like trying to find bones of a dead grizzly or a large cat.

It's hard but since this country was founded, people in the early days all carried rifles .

Not one shot in 200 years.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

nothing to say huh

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#38]
So basically,  you're scared of the dark and your imagination played tricks on you until you started firing wildly into the woods and ran off screaming like a little girl.  Did I miss anything?
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#39]
fail, you didn't SIIHPAPP

(Sasquatch is female, duh)
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Interesting there could be a big foot or a type of mountain gorilla that lives in North America. The reason’s they haven’t been found yet very small population, very reclusive, bury or eat their dead. There are still parts of North America that is rarely visited by man. Don’t know if they exist or not.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

So basically,  you're scared of the dark and your imagination played tricks on you until you started firing wildly into the woods and ran off screaming like a little girl.  Did I miss anything?

Sounds about right to me.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#43]
In and hooked on BF
just curious........... what prompted you to tell your story now?

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I live in Oregon.

Trust me, Bigfoot is real and there's at least 2 of them.

And they stink...  well, usually only at the end of a long day

Can't get the damn things off the end of my legs for the life of me!!!

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
possum

http://inlinethumb15.webshots.com/25934/2210768910100032457S600x600Q85.jpg

AWESOME!

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#46]
You didn't rip your friends still beating heart out afterwards?
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Stay off the mushroom tea.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#48]
lol.  i hunt that area every year.  I've seen bears do that when they think they are hidden.  Why do all these Sasquatch stories involve uneasy feelings and the dark?  I feel relaxed when Im hunting and out in the woods.  The nighttime also doesn't play tricks with my mind.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
possum

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#50]
ost, tagged for later, in on one, and all other applicable arfcom cliches.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top