User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 11:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Who cares?  Its a big rat.

Because if beating the coon to death turned them on, the next time it might be the neighbors cat or dog.  And if beating, mutilating or setting the dog or cat on fire really gave them a hard on, imagine what they'll do if they get a hold of someone's child or the retarded kid down the street.

Beating animals to death for grins and giggles is the sign of a dangerously sick mentality.

ETA: They should send the city an itemized bill for their services, seeing as animal control is clearly not doing their jobs.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there such a thing as raccoon season? They paniced. Atleast none of them got fucked up by a pissed off coon.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Atleast theses kids weren't eyeballing with vodka. That's the new fad

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
That's the way it should be handled instead of these bullshit animal cruelty charges for cases like this.

In some cases, animal cruelty fits.

This isn't one of those cases.

Link Posted: 5/27/2010 12:50:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If they were on a church youth group, then why didn't they tell someone or ask for assistance.

"Hey, um, we sort of, uh, trapped this racoon and we don't know what to do with it..."

Instead, they decided to just kill it!?

Sound moral and spiritual instruction coupled with critical thinking skills in this bunch...

It's a juvenile Y chromosome thing.  Critter caught mostly = critter killed.  If girls had somehow been in the same situation they'd be in the hospital after trying to save it.

For guys, it's pretty much instinctive to crush the skull of any imobilized creature with a stick.  That's why we've survived this long.  Ugh.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 2:33:22 AM EDT
[#6]
confused.  I actually hope to snare a raccoon this weekend and beat it to death.  It is an aspiration of mine.  you see they have killed my chickens, ducks and turkeys.  only good coon is a dead one if livestock are involved.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 3:08:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Those tails don't just fucking magic themselves on to antennas.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 3:14:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Only in this day and age, beating a rodent to death is considered news.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 3:18:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's the way it should be handled instead of these bullshit animal cruelty charges for cases like this.

Yeah,.  We should definitely teach our youth that senselessly beating and killing animals is just worth a few bucks.  There's no other consideration in the matter at all.

The pussification of America continues.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 3:24:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would throw each of them a severe beating and then a fine.  So what if it's just a raccoon.  Beating an animal to death shows some signs of being not right in the head.  I wonder if any of these youths are bed wetters too.....

Would have rather they left it in the snare to slowly die of starvation?

What was the purpose of snaring it to begin with?

Go back to watching Dancing with the Stars.  Seriously, this is what boys are supposed to do.  This is what we all did growing up where I came from.  Sitting inside playing idiot games, sucking down Ritalin, and watching the boob tube are not what boys are supposed to do.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 3:30:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah,.  We should definitely teach our youth that senselessly beating and killing animals is just worth a few bucks.  There's no other consideration in the matter at all.

Would a death sentence make you happy?

Link Posted: 5/27/2010 3:39:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm glad they confessed.  Now the raccoon's family can finally have some closure.

Link Posted: 5/27/2010 3:45:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll echo the same statement of some. The boys were probably just dicking around with the trap and most likely never put serious thought into if it actually worked. Once they had in fact snared a coon, they did what most normal folks would do –– bash its fucking skull in. What's the big deal? I think even the charges they got were out of line.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 4:00:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would throw each of them a severe beating and then a fine.  So what if it's just a raccoon.  Beating an animal to death shows some signs of being not right in the head.  I wonder if any of these youths are bed wetters too.....

Not if I was around.

My 80 year old second cousin lived near us  when I was young.  One of my jobs was to check on her every morning.  One day I knocked on the door and she did not come out so I took my key and went in.  she was covered with blood and bandages.  I asked her what had happened and she said a cat had scratched her.  I said must of been one big cat and she replied the cat was still outside.  

So she took me to the cat.  It was a big Ole raccoon.  See she fed her cats and then would pick up the food till the next day and put it back out.  She did not want to feed all the cats around so when this cat started eating the food she did what she always did and that was grab the coon by the front leg and carry it away from the bowl.  

I asked her what happened and she showed me all her wounds and I asked her what had happened to the coon and she said after it finally bit her she got a pipe and killed it.  It turned out to be clean without rabies.  

The kids may have been wrong but all animals are put on the earth for our use and coons are just varmints to be dealt with at will by humans.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 4:03:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I hate raccoons and generally subscribe to the theory that if a) it is out in the day and b) not scared of my presence the it gets a bullet to the head.  They are nasty critters, the fact that those kids get charged for anything is

Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:00:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
How is this any different than shooting coons?

There is one getting in my trash if they want to come trap it for me.

Had a friend tell me about going coon hunting a while back. Said they treed one and they told him to shoot it. He did, good shot and killed the shit out of it. They all looked at him like he'd just banged there daughter. Apparently you're sposed to wound them so the dogs get to play too...

I wouldn't want a wounded coon on my dogs. A big coon can kill a dog. Hell, I've seen coons go 35 pounds. They can get really vicious too.

Ordinarily, you kill the coon before you let the dogs fuck with it. Personally, I like BBQ'd coon so I ain't gonna let my dogs tear it up.  

Yeah I have seen coons kick ass on dogs and cats.
When I was a kid we had a big black lab named Bo that loved killing coons. He would sometimes jump the fence and come back with one a few hours later. He would turn into a different dog when he saw one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:11:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Hell, I beat a deer to death with a broken off pine sappling because I didn't have another cartridge.  It was brutal.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:15:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A baby seal walks into a club.....

"What can I get you?" asks the bartender. "A Canadian Club," replies the seal. ...

As far as the coon goes...get real, it's a friggin coon.

Link Posted: 5/27/2010 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if I was around.

My 80 year old second cousin lived near us  when I was young.  One of my jobs was to check on her every morning.  One day I knocked on the door and she did not come out so I took my key and went in.  she was covered with blood and bandages.  I asked her what had happened and she said a cat had scratched her.  I said must of been one big cat and she replied the cat was still outside.  

So she took me to the cat.  It was a big Ole raccoon.  See she fed her cats and then would pick up the food till the next day and put it back out.  She did not want to feed all the cats around so when this cat started eating the food she did what she always did and that was grab the coon by the front leg and carry it away from the bowl.  

I asked her what happened and she showed me all her wounds and I asked her what had happened to the coon and she said after it finally bit her she got a pipe and killed it.  It turned out to be clean without rabies.  

The kids may have been wrong but all animals are put on the earth for our use and coons are just varmints to be dealt with at will by humans.

If I saw some hippy beating down a bunch of kids, for trapping a raccoon. I would probably shoot him.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#21]
My understanding is this is technically the sop for fur hunters.  Usually, the back end of a certain rather heavy flashlight would manage the job with a single blow to the head - less likelihood of damaging fur and cheaper than bullets.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I sure am glad shit like that didn't happen when I was a kid!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go back to watching Dancing with the Stars.  Seriously, this is what boys are supposed to do.  This is what we all did growing up where I came from.  Sitting inside playing idiot games, sucking down Ritalin, and watching the boob tube are not what boys are supposed to do.

Yeah, dancing with the stars my ass.  I'm out there every day working with my hands since I was old enough to swing a hammer.  I think you have the wrong guy here.  I just don't see the point in snaring a fucking raccoon.  I had better things do do with my time.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if I was around.

OK.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#26]
The news station has painted this as a learning experience.

Along with the oil spill and a couple of other things, it was big on TV here this morning and they interviewed a DNR officer.

http://www.kcci.com/news/23685503/detail.html

DES MOINES, Iowa ––
Iowa Department of Natural Resources officials said Wednesday that four teens were charged after they confessed to killing a raccoon.

DNR spokesman Kevin Baskins said the incident happened at Ledges State Park on Saturday night.

The boys, ranging in age from 15 to 18, were on a church youth group camping trip with the Third Reformed Church in Pella.

Investigators said the teens made a crude snare to trap a raccoon wandering near the campsite. They took a sapling tree and bent it all the way over, then put a rope in the middle with some bait. The animal walked into the trap and was caught in the rope.

"It was basically a home made trap, almost like you would see in old western shows. They had the tree bent over and that was basically used to snare the animal," said Baskins.

The teens told authorities that they panicked and didn't know how to free the animal, so they beat it to death.

Another camper called authorities to report what happened. DNR officials said the teens confessed to the beating.

All four teens were charged with illegal trapping and killing of wildlife, a $161.25 fine with court costs. Authorities identified the teens as Frank Ahrens, 18, of Montezuma; Jacob Gleason, 15, of Leighton; Brennan Mejia, 16, of Pella and Tyler Holtrop, 16, of Otley.

Baskins said the teens could have faced more serious charges but did not because they confessed and apologized.

"We're pretty well satisfied that these kids were remorseful about what happened. You know, hopefully we've had a bad situation here that is at least a learn experience and teachable experience for others," said Baskins.

DNR officials said they ask all campers to respect nature and don't encourage close encounters with animals.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if I was around.

If I saw some hippy beating down a bunch of kids, for trapping a raccoon. I would probably shoot him.

I'm the furthest thing from a hippy possible.  I'd like to see that shot.......
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Eh, raccoons are pests.  Who cares?
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if I was around.

No kidding.  It's always puzzling to me how city boys think (using this thread as an example) it's just peachy to beat a human, but it's BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD to beat on a mangy and troublesome vermin.  The logic escapes me!  

City boy?  I live in a town of 10K people.  I have a farmers tan like you wouldn't believe.  I work with my hands every day and have never had a non-construction job in my life.  Try again.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if I was around.

OK.  

As long as you're back, can I ask?––

Why is beating a coon bad, but beating a human good?  Serious question––not trying to pick a fight.  I really don't get it.  

Context.  The story made is seem like these kids just snared a raccoon to play pinata with it.  that's fucked up.  Fucked up people usually start out wetting beds and torturing animals.  If it was a simple pest controll issue that's another matter.  If I had to do some pest control I have a P22 with an AAC Aviator on it.  Very quiet, very quick, very civil.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if I was around.

OK.  

As long as you're back, can I ask?––

Why is beating a coon bad, but beating a human good?  Serious question––not trying to pick a fight.  I really don't get it.  

Context.  The story made is seem like these kids just snared a raccoon to play pinata with it.  that's fucked up.  Fucked up people usually start out wetting beds and torturing animals.  If it was a simple pest controll issue that's another matter.  If I had to do some pest control I have a P22 with an AAC Aviator on it.  Very quiet, very quick, very civil.

How can context make it acceptable to beat a human?  

Last I checked that is virtually never legal––nor warranted.  Was that just big talk on the internet by chance?  

"I" was used as the collective "I"  How would "I" myself issue a fine?  Once again, context.

Big talk on the internet like "not if I was there" or "I would shoot someoine if I saw that."  Yeah, something like that......

Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I have not tried the 4D mag method personally - to be honest I only hunted coons for a month or two and it was out of pure revenge and hated.  We used .22, was easier.  Friends told me they use Mag-clubs.

Coons are evil and sadistic.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#38]
You don't see it printed in the article, but on the news this morning they mentioned that several raccoons were harassing the campsite, or however they phrased it.  This is why the teens set the trap.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, dancing with the stars my ass.  I'm out there every day working with my hands since I was old enough to swing a hammer.  I think you have the wrong guy here.  I just don't see the point in snaring a fucking raccoon.  I had better things do do with my time.

Serious question... Would you have preferred they faced felony animal cruelty charges?  

They kids made a mistake and owned up to it.  I'm sure they trapped the coon just to see if they could and when their little snare worked they didn't have a plan to release the animal so they panicked.  I hardly think that warrants any more punishment than they received.

Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if I was around.

I dont know what is more odd.  You wanting to commit a Felony Assualt on a bunch of Teenagers over trapping a varmint.  Or you wanting to see yourself getting  shot while doing it.  You are a peculiar man with peculiar priorities.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question... Would you have preferred they faced felony animal cruelty charges?  

They kids made a mistake and owned up to it.  I'm sure they trapped the coon just to see if they could and when their little snare worked they didn't have a plan to release the animal so they panicked.  I hardly think that warrants any more punishment than they received.

Absolutely not.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You don't see it printed in the article, but on the news this morning they mentioned that several raccoons were harassing the campsite, or however they phrased it.  This is why the teens set the trap.

That's kind of a different angle than kids stringing up and beating an animal for fun.  That's what I meant by context.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if I was around.

I dont know what is more odd.  You wanting to commit a Felony Assualt on a bunch of Teenagers over trapping a varmint.  Or you wanting to see yourself getting  shot while doing it.  You are a peculiar man with peculiar priorities.

Something tells me I lead a far more normal life than you......

My priorities are fine and mostly involve generating income for myself.  Your comprehension into the matter may be what's off.

I've had enough of the dirt farmers in these threads so I'm out of this one.  I'd much rather discuss firearms than beating animals which is why the majority of my posts are in Tech instead of GD.........
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if I was around.

Something tells me I lead a far more normal life than you......

My priorities are fine and mostly involve generating income for myself.  Your comprehension into the matter may be what's off.

I've had enough of the dirt farmers in these threads so I'm out of this one.  I'd much rather discuss firearms than beating animals which is why the majority of my posts are in Tech instead of GD.........

Well, Bye.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonder if God would have a problem with four of his young followers trapping and killing one of his creatures for the fun of it? Sorry cup o' crazy sauce, but if having a little morality makes you a pussy, I would recommend taking a 2nd look at your upbringing. They were in no danger, nor was anyone else. They were not out there for food, or creating hats for the homeless. You and I both know what happened. Boys thought it would be fun to try something they saw on TV, it worked, and suddenly they realized they were about to get in in hot water. So "Hey, kill it, no one will know." They panicked and killed something to cover their asses.
To many internet commandos on this site like to make themselves feel better by saying "It's not human, who cares." Problem is just because something is not human does not mean it can't feel pain or fear. Doesn't mean it's insignificant. Being able to recognize this doesn't make you a pussy, it makes you a man.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying beating it to death was the right answer, but they killed vermin... Would you have them thrown in jail?
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wonder if God would have a problem with four of his young followers trapping and killing one of his creatures for the fun of it? Sorry cup o' crazy sauce, but if having a little morality makes you a pussy, I would recommend taking a 2nd look at your upbringing. They were in no danger, nor was anyone else. They were not out there for food, or creating hats for the homeless. You and I both know what happened. Boys thought it would be fun to try something they saw on TV, it worked, and suddenly they realized they were about to get in in hot water. So "Hey, kill it, no one will know." They panicked and killed something to cover their asses.

To many internet commandos on this site like to make themselves feel better by saying "It's not human, who cares." Problem is just because something is not human does not mean it can't feel pain or fear. Doesn't mean it's insignificant. Being able to recognize this doesn't make you a pussy, it makes you a man.

So what would you like to have happened in this case?  They were ticked and fined.  What more do you want?

Link Posted: 5/27/2010 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh its vermin.  and it was harassing the camp.  I dont lose much sleep over swatting flies either,
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what would you like to have happened in this case?  They were ticked and fined.  What more do you want?

You're missing my point. I'm not arguing about a punishment.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#50]
I know a kid that would always abuse racoons, opposums, squirrels, stray dogs etc. in the most brutal ways. He was absolutely psychotic. He'd catch animals and then drown them alive, or burn them to death.

He's becoming a cop now.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top