Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Plus, as a licensed applicator you can probably get the real good stuff....

I hate messing with the stuff.  Dad got cancer from Agent Orange in Nam.  My actual job title is ground communications tech, but they needed someone to step up and get an applicators license...so here I am.  I'll tell you this though:  It beats running a fucking weed eater!  
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fire. Lots of it.

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/control.html#60
NEVER, NEVER,NEVER try to burn poison ivy out or add to a burnpile.  Smoke can and will carry the poison.  Thisdoes damage lung tissue and can lead to a longhospital visit or death.  If you ever do burn out anarea of brush, stay out of the smoke.  There may bepoison ivy that you don't see.

i've read of a person dying from a horrible allergic reaction when burning wood wrapped up in poison ivy...
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Krovar

krovar

krovar
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Plus, as a licensed applicator you can probably get the real good stuff....

I hate messing with the stuff.  Dad got cancer from Agent Orange in Nam.  My actual job title is ground communications tech, but they needed someone to step up and get an applicators license...so here I am.  I'll tell you this though:  It beats running a fucking weed eater!  

Actually the active ingredients of Agent Orange were not the culprit of the cancer in Vietnam vets.  Agent Orange was a mixture of 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T .  In the manufacturing process of 2,4,5-T a dioxin is formed as a waste product.  The manufacturer did not remove the contaminate so it was left in the mix and sprayed over tons of acres and lots of people.  This was the culprit of the illnesses of many vets and vietnamese that were drenched with the stuff.  2,4,5-T is no longer used but 2,4-D is very common and very safe if used properly.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you don't give a crap about anything growing there for some time you could always spray some diesel fuel. Guaranteed to kill permanently!

Yup, our Country Extension agent recommends diesel along the fence lines.
Sorry for the resurrection an old thread, but a search for "weed killer" brought me here.

I have a driveway area and an earthen area under a picnic table that I need to kill all the weeds AND grass.   I assume kerosene will work the same won't it?   Also, what does one use to "spray" it?  

Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#6]
vinegar and a tarp will do it pretty quick
but for a small area roundup in the pump&go hand sprayer is pretty low stress
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a ton of poison ivy growing in my backyard.  I've bought and sprayed some of the Round Up Poison Ivy/Heavy Brush Killer, and it hasn't done that good of a job.  Some of the ivy died, but a good bit of it still looks healthy.  My dad was telling me that the older round up was way stronger than the stuff you can buy in the chain stores now, and I tend to believe him as this stuff seems pretty weak. I even mixed it a little stronger than it said on the bottle.

Are there any other good weed killers that I can get online or at a commercial farm store or something?  I have a friend who has a friend or works for Norfolk Southern Railroad, and he gave me some weed killer that they use to spray the tracks off with and it was much much better than round up, totally killing any plant it touched.  I want something that will kill of the poison ivy and keep if from coming back for say a season, but I don't want to make the soil so poisoned that plants will never grow there again.

get a couple of goats. end of poison ivy.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top