Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/11/2010 5:49:54 PM EDT
I have a ton of poison ivy growing in my backyard.  I've bought and sprayed some of the Round Up Poison Ivy/Heavy Brush Killer, and it hasn't done that good of a job.  Some of the ivy died, but a good bit of it still looks healthy.  My dad was telling me that the older round up was way stronger than the stuff you can buy in the chain stores now, and I tend to believe him as this stuff seems pretty weak. I even mixed it a little stronger than it said on the bottle.

Are there any other good weed killers that I can get online or at a commercial farm store or something?  I have a friend who has a friend or works for Norfolk Southern Railroad, and he gave me some weed killer that they use to spray the tracks off with and it was much much better than round up, totally killing any plant it touched.  I want something that will kill of the poison ivy and keep if from coming back for say a season, but I don't want to make the soil so poisoned that plants will never grow there again.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't give a crap about anything growing there for some time you could always spray some diesel fuel. Guaranteed to kill permanently!

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't want to make the soil so poisoned that plants will never grow there again.

Poison Ivy is a broad leaf...you need 2-4D. Things guys at the RR use you dont know whats in there...and they can use some nasty stuff because they obviously dont ever want stuff to grow on the RR bed ever again.

Roundup is great, but it wont always kill big plants (especially if they have some woody stems) thats what a good dosage of the 2-4D is for. But when you re-spray I would put roundup in it again.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to a farm supply place and get the REAL Round Up.

I don't know if you can now, but you used to be able to buy the concentrate and mix it yourself.

I was using it right after it came out that way.

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Fire. Lots of it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Brush B Gon
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't know if you can now, but you used to be able to buy the concentrate and mix it yourself.

Just bought a small bottle of the concentrate myself.  
Not the "concentrate", but the "CONCENTRATE".
$50 for about a pint.

But as already mentioned, diesel fuel works wonders.
Growing up on a farm, we had garden sprayers loaded with diesel.
Not much risk of fire.  Kills weeds dead.  

OH, and DON'T BURN POISON IVY.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But as already mentioned, diesel fuel works wonders.

I have a job where I spray a lot of brush. My boss was telling me last week that he saw a study recently where brush was sprayed with Diesel, Garlon and crop oil, and Garlon and diesel mix; the straight diesel worked the best. But that info was followed up with "But I cant have ya spraying diesel on plants all over the state either"
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the pelletized round-up pro at work.  Mix it a little strong and the evil weed is gone for good.  The nice thing about roundup is you can plant seed a week later and have no problems.  I spray that stuff like water on a house fire.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm thinking I may just use a light spray of diesel fuel on the poison ivy that is on the wooded edges of the yard, and respray the areas I want to eventually plant with the remainder of the round up I have.  If that doesn't work, I'll try going to a Farm store and see what they have to offer.

Good thing about diesel is that it is a hell of a lot cheaper than concentrate round up
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Diesel contaminates soil.  Glysophate (RoundUp) is neutralized by soil.  It is designed to kill the plant by traveling from the green leafy parts of the plant to the roots.

Using concentrations higher than the instructions call for can be counterproductive as it can break down the vascular system of the plant before the poison reaches the roots.

Spray it in the morning when the pores of the leaves are open. Wait 2 weeks and reapply to whatever is still alive.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I have heard that vinegar water will kill stuff but never have tried.  Cheap way!
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Roundup ultramax at 2.5 ounces per gallon of water.  It's not going to kill it overnight, but it will in a couple days.

We get it by the 35 gallon drum.  35 gallons of super concentrate goes quite a ways when it comes to killing plants.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#13]
brush b gone will get er done

it may take a week or two

but spraying 30 percent of the leaves until wet

will KILL the entire plant

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Crossbow herbicide is your answer. Mixture of 2,4D and triclopyr. Always follow label directions because that is some potent shit.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=crossbow+herbicide
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Fire. Lots of it.

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/control.html#60

NEVER, NEVER,
NEVER try to burn poison ivy out or add to a burn
pile.  Smoke can and will carry the poison.  This
does damage lung tissue and can lead to a long
hospital visit or death.  If you ever do burn out an
area of brush, stay out of the smoke.  There may be
poison ivy that you don't see.

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Roundup 2-4D and Banville is scorched earth.  If there is a local COOP you can get the good stuff.  The right mix ratio is important, but even the concentrate varys in concentration so I can't tell you without knowing exactly what your using the exact ratio.  There are all sorts of different generics of Roundup.  I mix 15 gallons of roundup with 385 gallons of water in my sprayer.

One thing to remember, Roundup and 2-4D are not residuals (2-4D can be for about a week) so they only kill the live plants that they touch.  So if there is seed in the ground (which there is) then things will start growing back soon after everything is dead.

It sounds like you want a ground killer.  I am not familiar with names but know that you can get some that will work for a year or more.  That is probably what the railroad guy has.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't want to make the soil so poisoned that plants will never grow there again.

Poison Ivy is a broad leaf...you need 2-4D. Things guys at the RR use you dont know whats in there...and they can use some nasty stuff because they obviously dont ever want stuff to grow on the RR bed ever again.

Roundup is great, but it wont always kill big plants (especially if they have some woody stems) thats what a good dosage of the 2-4D is for. But when you re-spray I would put roundup in it again.

Roundup & 2-4D are both labeled for mixing together.  3-4oz. per gallon of water (that's the concentrate for $100 a gallon); that's the labeled maximum.  Adding a surfactant ~1 to 2 oz. per gallon can make the herbicide wet the plant better; it's cheap.  

Stand upwind and watch yer ass if you burn the dead plants

-hanko
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:It sounds like you want a ground killer.  I am not familiar with names but know that you can some that will work for a year or more.  That is probably what the railroad guy has.

I use Krovar, 2 lb. per 15 gallons in an atv mounted sprayer.  Usually good for 2+ years of scorched earth.  Labeled for Roundup and 2,4-D...mix it all together & it's one stop ivy death.

Liquid ground sterilants are out there, I've never used any.

-hanko

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Crossbow, that shit will kill a tree....
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I have had really bad luck killing brush and mesquite with straight diesel.  Virtually zero kill after 1 year.

For poison ivy I would use triclopyr (probably the active ingredient in brush -b- gone, definitely the active ingredient in Remedy....

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

There are all sorts of different generics of Roundup. I mix 15 gallons of roundup with 385 gallons of water in my sprayer.

That's about what I mix the 41% Glysophate at....

It will kill the entire plant.  It just takes time and reapplication if necessary.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Monobor
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#23]
You don't need any shitty  Round-Up just use 24-d and use it one the heavy side and anything with a fucking leaf will be history. Dont even bother buying any weed killer from wal mart, i would be willing to take bets that a human could drink that shit and not even get drunk.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
There are all sorts of different generics of Roundup. I mix 15 gallons of roundup with 385 gallons of water in my sprayer.

It will kill the entire plant.  It just takes time and reapplication if necessary.

And then it will come back next year.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#25]
The stuff the Railroads use contains 2-4D.  You don't want to use this if you or a neighbor has flowers or sensitive veggies in the garden.  You also do not want to use it if someone is raising cotton nearby.  The stuff moves, and can kill or damage quite a ways away from where you sprayed it.  It does not, however, have any activity in the soil, which means that you will not ruin the soil for anything in the future.

If I were you, I would try buying some real Roundup, and not anything premixed from Lowes or Walmart.  I have killed weeds that really should not have been killed with Roundup.  First off, do not apply the Roundup until the weather is warm, and the weed is green and growing.  If the weed is under stress, such as when its dry or really hot, it will not take up the Roundup as readily.  I would mix the Roundup 50/50 with water.  If you buy the Roundup from a farm supply store, ask about additives, such as ammonium sulfate, or other translocating aids.  These increase the uptake of Roundup, and help you kill things you might not otherwise kill.  

If its dry, you might try watering the ivy for a few days to "destress" the plants first.  Beyond that, if this doesn't work and you want something stronger, you might try a product called Crossbow.  This contains 2-4D, so the same cautions apply I mentioned above.  Crossbow works well on woody, brushy plants, where Roundup is weaker.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You can still get 5 gallon jugs of  just straight round up at places like tractor supply, although it's like $80. You mix it yourself and it will last a long time. If regular stuff isn't working i'd suggest mix your own and not use as much water in the mix.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Did anyone mention that Roundup will kill his grass?
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It will kill the entire plant. It just takes time and reapplication if necessary.

How long do you think 2 4 D lasts?  It breaks down fast also and is more toxic to humans.

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I mix the 41% Glysophate (Roundup) at 1.5 ounce per gallon for grass type weeds and 3 opg for woody stem weeds.

Sometimes I add some 2-4-D Amine in the spray mix.

I but it by the case (Two-2 gallons jugs) at a farm supply.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Did anyone mention that Roundup will kill his grass?

Sounds like you have first hand knowledge of this.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Go ask the local Co-Op, I could give you a good answer here, as others have done, but it would get lost in the midst of the roar.

About roundup:

The little bottles you buy are a ripoff, marketed towards people who know nothing about herbicides. What you *want* to do is buy a 2.5 gallon jug of ~41% concentrate. Buy the generics (SAME active ingredient, glyphosate, maybe a lesser surfactant, but you'll never notice the difference) and they should cost less than $50 for the whole jug. Never buy anything smaller than one gallon, and never buy anything less than 41% concentrate. That's a waste of money. Oh, and yeah, you can buy a 30-hgallon drum, but that's more than a homeowner will use in a lifetime.

Anyway, get your roundup, you'll need no more than a gallon per acre of treated surface (I'm guessing this means you'll need an ounce or three, as you have a small area) and mix it with 2,4-D, as noted above, or any premix that contains triclopyr. You'll only need a tiny amount of the latter.

Re-treat as necessary. If you really want to stop ALL growth there, for a year or so, look into some Pramitol. Your local Co-Op should be able to get you some.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Go ask the local Co-Op, I could give you a good answer here, as others have done, but it would get lost in the midst of the roar.

About roundup:

The little bottles you buy are a ripoff, marketed towards people who know nothing about herbicides. What you *want* to do is buy a 2.5 gallon jug of ~41% concentrate. Buy the generics (SAME active ingredient, glyphosate, maybe a lesser surfactant, but you'll never notice the difference) and they should cost less than $50 for the whole jug. Never buy anything smaller than one gallon, and never buy anything less than 41% concentrate. That's a waste of money. Oh, and yeah, you can buy a 30-hgallon drum, but that's more than a homeowner will use in a lifetime.

Anyway, get your roundup, you'll need no more than a gallon per acre of treated surface (I'm guessing this means you'll need an ounce or three, as you have a small area) and mix it with 2,4-D, as noted above, or any premix that contains triclopyr. You'll only need a tiny amount of the latter.

Re-treat as necessary. If you really want to stop ALL growth there, for a year or so, look into some Pramitol. Your local Co-Op should be able to get you some.

Pramitol, or the generic Prometon, is a soil sterilant, and you won;t get anything to grow there for awhile.  It comes in liquid or pellet form.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you don't give a crap about anything growing there for some time you could always spray some diesel fuel. Guaranteed to kill permanently!

Yup, our Country Extension agent recommends diesel along the fence lines.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I want something that will kill of the poison ivy and keep if from coming back for say a season, but I don't want to make the soil so poisoned that plants will never grow there again.

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It will kill the entire plant. It just takes time and reapplication if necessary.

How long do you think 2 4 D lasts?  It breaks down fast also and is more toxic to humans.

2,4-D has a half life in the soil of about 10 days and glyohosate has little to no soil activity at all.  As far as human toxicity is concerned 2,4-D and or glyphosate is not a problem.  Now tank mix the two and you will kill grasses and broadleaves but it could take 14 to 21 days for final results.  2,4-D can volatilize and be carried away from the target area so be careful around non-target plants.  Use an amine formulation of 2,4-D to aid in reducing drift/volatility.  Ivy is a perennial plant and it will be something you may have to treat many times to get rid of.  There are more products out there that can control this weed but many are not friendly to other plants and trees around ones house so you must be careful.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have heard that vinegar water will kill stuff but never have tried.  Cheap way!

Actually you want to use 20% vinegar...or 10% pickling vinegar is ok.

Spray it during the afternoon with direct sun.  It is NOT specific....it will KILL everything it touches!  be careful spraying around other plants you DON'T want to kill.

Great for driveways, curbs, and sidewalks that have weeds/grass growing in the cracks and seams.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Pramitol, or the generic Prometon, is a soil sterilant, and you won;t get anything to grow there for awhile.  It comes in liquid or pellet form.

That sounds like exactly what he wants.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I read it wrong, but I was understanding back yard to mean he might want to grow grass there or something.  If he wants bare dirt, then yes, thats the ticket.  I would mix the liquid pramitol with the Roundup and smoke that ivy.  He can use more pramitol later to make sure he soaked the dirt good for nothing to come back.  Just be careful where you use pramitol because if you get alot of rain, runoff can move the pramitol and kill stuff in places you did not intend.  If this happens, you will be moving out bad dirt, and bringing in new dirt, or either living with bare ground for awhile.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So, just checking my math. You buy the concentrate which is 41% active ingredient. You then mix 15 gallons of Roundup to 385 gallons of water. 15/385= 3.89%

3.89% x 41% = 1.5% Glysophate in the final mix.

I just looked at the 1.33 gallon jug I bought at Lowes, and it is premixed at 2.0%

I'm surprised you guys are having luck with it. The Bermuda grass in my flower beds has laughed at it through 2 applications.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, just checking my math. You buy the concentrate which is 41% active ingredient. You then mix 15 gallons of Roundup to 385 gallons of water. 15/385= 3.89%

I just looked at the 1.33 gallon jug I bought at Lowes, and it is premixed at 2.0%

I'm surprised you guys are having luck with it. The Bermuda grass in my flower beds has laughed at it through 2 applications.

Actually, that's a little stouter than I mix it at work.  I generally use around 4 oz to a gallon which is a pretty stout mix.

2 gallons of 41% /~58 gallons water and 1/3 bottle dish soap

Results I get are fine and thorough on a variety of weeds including Johnson grass......

Maybe you're doing something wrong?

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know why but the pre-mix crap always performs like that, the 41% mixed 3 oz to the gallon, applied while the grass is growing, will kill the shit out of it. Bermuda is hardy and may require extra spot spraying, but not a complete re-application.

What the OP needs is Tryclopyr , sold as REMEDY ultra or a combination formulation like Crossbow. These are "restricted" and probably require a liscence  to purchase in any state. Remedy is about 100$ a gallon.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I read it wrong, but I was understanding back yard to mean he might want to grow grass there or something.  If he wants bare dirt, then yes, thats the ticket.  I would mix the liquid pramitol with the Roundup and smoke that ivy.  He can use more pramitol later to make sure he soaked the dirt good for nothing to come back.  Just be careful where you use pramitol because if you get alot of rain, runoff can move the pramitol and kill stuff in places you did not intend.  If this happens, you will be moving out bad dirt, and bringing in new dirt, or either living with bare ground for awhile.

Very true and I'm glad you mentioned it. I'd hate to create a herbicidal maniac on accident. So would the OP's neighbors.

I want something that will kill of the poison ivy and keep if from coming back for say a season, but I don't want to make the soil so poisoned that plants will never grow there again.

Hmmm....not exactly sure what he really wants. If I were him and there were no veggie gardens or soybeans or cotton nearby, I'd go with roundup plus 2,4-D.

I'd reiterate, though, to the OP, that you DO NOT spray 2,4-D anywhere near cotton. 2,4-D is a plant growth hormone and very volitale; it can travel in the air, hit a plant a LONG way from where it was sprayed, and even the most minute amount of it can cause massive uncontrolled plant growth (usually on the side that was hit more than the other side) than burst cell walls and kills the plant dead. Grasses are largely immune to this; cotton is HIGHLY susceptible, though. It's bad stuff if used carelessly.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Actually, that's a little stouter than I mix it at work.  I generally use around 4 oz to a gallon which is a pretty stout mix.
2 gallons of 41% /~58 gallons water and 1/3 bottle dish soap
Results I get are fine and thorough on a variety of weeds including Johnson grass......
Maybe you're doing something wrong?

I don't doubt for a second that I am doing something wrong, but I thought it was idiot proof.
I was using this stuff. I just wet down each of the little bastards. I went a little heavier on the second application, but it didn't seem to help. I had about 50% kill rate.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  Plus the RR folks are probably licensed applicators who can get the good commercial stuff.

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bermudagrass forms an extensive root system that roundup just can't completely kill out. Other grasses are easier to kill; you can actually use roundup in low doses to help maintain a bermuda lawn (that's off-label and illegal, I'm only speaking in hypotheticals here) free of undesireable grasses. You're actually probably top-killing the bermuda, it's just returning from the roots.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

You can still buy 50% Roundup concentrate without a permit; at least I did a couple of years ago.  I mix it at 2-3% final concentration and that pretty much wipes out any non-woody plants it comes in contact with.

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually 2-4 D is relatively non-toxic, which is why it is still available over the counter.

Still, you don't want to be smearing it on your bare skin.  But it's not like some horrible Potion of Death.

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#48]
2,4,5-T.

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How long do you think 2 4 D lasts? It breaks down fast also and is more toxic to humans.

Actually 2-4 D is relatively non-toxic, which is why it is still available over the counter.

Still, you don't want to be smearing it on your bare skin. But it's not like some horrible Potion of Death.

Yea I don't like messing with it.  Especially with wind drift.  Ive got a JD gator spray rig with a 60 gallon tank, a 10 ft boom, and a spray wand at work.  I work on a 17000 acre bombing range and I'm the only licensed applicator.  We have 20+ targets to keep the weeds down on plus the roads and our tower/shop compound.

I usually get misted a little with the glysophate in the Oklahoma wind.... I don't want anything stronger, especially since what we're using works.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How long do you think 2 4 D lasts? It breaks down fast also and is more toxic to humans.

Still, you don't want to be smearing it on your bare skin. But it's not like some horrible Potion of Death.

Yea I don't like messing with it.  Especially with wind drift.  Ive got a JD gator spray rig with a 60 gallon tank, a 10 ft boom, and a spray wand at work.  I work on a 17000 acre bombing range and I'm the only licensed applicator.  We have 20+ targets to keep the weeds down on plus the roads and our tower/shop compound.

I usually get misted a little with the glysophate in the Oklahoma wind.... I don't want anything stronger, especially since what we're using works.

Plus, as a licensed applicator you can probably get the real good stuff....

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top