Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2010 11:09:07 AM EDT
They rejected my wife's check today at the grocery store she has shopped at for 12yrs, every Sunday...WTF?    The teller said it was for "lack of funds", but on checking online, and calling telecheck, there isn't a problem with that, as there is over $2000 in there.    I called the number on the rejected slip, and all I could get was automated shit.  

I plugged in all the info and all it said was that it wasn't for lack of funds, but because the check fell below their standards for acceptance.   What the fuck that is, I'm not sure.  It said her frequency of checks, or the number on it, or the amount($65), or "a number of other things," could be the reason.  

What in the hell do I do now?       Our credit score is over 800    She paid for the groceries with a credit card, but will she ever be able to write a check there again? or will it be rejected each time?
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Check here:

http://www.firstdata.com/telecheck/telecheck-request-file-report.htm

You'll get a copy of your report with them and you can figure out from there what is going on.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Use a debit card next time?
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1

Why would you use a check at the grocery store for $65?

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

All I can think is being stuck in line behind that grumpy of fuck who doesn't trust "them plastic things" or the grandmother type with stage three Alzheimers who can't remember her name as they write out a check.....

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Check here:

http://www.firstdata.com/telecheck/telecheck-request-file-report.htm

You'll get a copy of your report with them and you can figure out from there what is going on.

hehe

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They rejected my wife's check today at the grocery store she has shopped at for 12yrs, every Sunday...WTF?    The teller said it was for "lack of funds", but on checking online, and calling telecheck, there isn't a problem with that, as there is over $2000 in there.    I called the number on the rejected slip, and all I could get was automated shit.  

I plugged in all the info and all it said was that it wasn't for lack of funds, but because the check fell below their standards for acceptance.   What the fuck that is, I'm not sure.  It said her frequency of checks, or the number on it, or the amount($65), or "a number of other things," could be the reason.  

What in the hell do I do now?       Our credit score is over 800    She paid for the groceries with a credit card, but will she ever be able to write a check there again? or will it be rejected each time?

By "teller" do you mean cashier?

Telecheck has no access to your bank account or bank balance so whoever told you that has no idea what they are talking about.  People's names DL #'s and checking account numbers are submitted to Telecheck for either writing bad checks or having an overdrawn checking account that was charged off by a bank.  Most likely some data entry clerk at Telecheck or some other institution typed in a driver's license number wrong and it happened to be your wife's - that happened to me once.  Stay on the automated system until she can talk to a person and it will get corrected.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#7]
This happened to me twice. First time was at a CompUSA and I was incensed about it. Went through all the hassle and phone calls with Telecheck to find out what was going on only to get no satisfactory answer.

Next time it happened was at a Chinese food joint.  I wrote "VOID" on the first check and wrote a second one that went through.  

Fuck Telecheck.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Deposit the check into your bank account and use your debit card?
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#9]
This is why I always have emergency wampum on me.  Fancy-schmancy checks, pfft.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Check? So ya'll were the ones holdin up the line.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#11]
People still write checks at the grocery store?
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I hate when people write checks at the store when they have credit or debit cards. It takes FOREVER, don't they realize checks are for big purchase items, it's not the 50's anymore.

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I hate people that still use checks at stores.  Usually they stand their oblivious to what is going on until the cashier says "that will be $65.74".  Only then does the woman, I've never seen a man do this, snap back to reality with a suprised look on her face like she's not sure what is going on, then it will hit her to get out her checkbook.  After 5 minutes of digging through her purse she triumphantly raises the checkbook to start writting the check.  Why she couldn't have done that when her groceries were being rung up is beyond me.  Next she'll take 2 more minutes to write the check before handing it to the cashier.  The cashier will then ask to see her drivers license, 3 more minutes of digging in her purse, plus ask for a phone number.  When the check is finally run through the machine the machine will act up and the check will have to be run through 3 or 4 more times.  Finally the purchase is approved.  People that use checks should be forced into one line so they can't bother the rest of population that can manage to pay in 30 seconds or less.

I don't know if you wife is like the people I just described.  Even if she isn't you won't get any sympathy from me, checks are out dated and nothing but a hassle.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I tell the cashiers in my store to take a hard look at anyone under 40 who wants to write a check.  It cracks me up when some 22 year old whips out a checkbook.  Now, some old folks just can't adjust, but since the float period is gone, there is just no reason.  Telecheck and the store know nothing about your account.  Some mistake just put you on the bad list.  The stores usually can't override a "do not accept."  Join our brave new world of debit cards.  It was awesome when the float went away.  Stores that took thousands of dollars in checks, mostly in the latter part of the month, went down to just $50-$90.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I use my Chase Amazon card for everything.  1% back(*) on all purchases, 2% on some things, 3% on things bought at Amazon.  I only use checks for the occasional Neanderthal that does not take credit/debit.  Don't know why anyone would want to carry around checks these days.

(* - redeemable as either Amazon gift certificates or a number of other typical items.  I generally just get Amazon gift certificates.)
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#17]
No one actually uses checks anymore. If not cash, debit cards ftw.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pay cash next time.

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#19]
cash is king
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I had that shit happen to me at Home Depot when I was waiting on a new debit card after I lost my old one. Had to go to the bank and withdraw cash to go back and pick up the stuff I needed.

I've never bounced a check and I had plenty of cash in the bank to cover the purchase. I don't know what happened and I don't care because I hate checks anyway.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#21]
checks are VERY insecure..
Here is the personal information on the average check;

Name
Address
Phone number
Bank account number
routing number for your specific bank
Signature

For the really paranoid there is;
Finger prints
Handwriting sample
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Checks are so last decade...
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Why the hell do people even carry check books anymore? Just use the debit card.

I thought checks were only to use if you had to mail in a payment or pay the yard man.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#24]
use a debit card, cashiers and the people behind you, hate it when you write a check.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#25]
It's called a Visa Check card.

I worked at a grocery store...we got rubber checks all of the time....lost a lot of $$$$

I don't know why any merchant would take checks these days...almost no recourse when it comes to ISF.

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Debit Card or Credit Card...it's time to get with the program.

I honestly don't see why most people wouldn't just use a credit card considering that you can get 3% cash back with cards these days.  If you are mature enough to pay the bill each month and treat it only as a cash proxy rather than a credit line then it's basically like getting a 3% price reduction on anything you purchase.  Why the heck not?

I don't know what the hell a "Telecheck" is anyway...

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Pay cash next time.

Same thing...

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
checks are VERY insecure..
Here is the personal information on the average check;

Name
Address
Phone number
Bank account number
routing number for your specific bank
Signature

For the really paranoid there is;
Finger prints
Handwriting sample

I got a check the other day from and older couple.... had BOTH THEIR SS#s as part of the address block
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Debit Card or Credit Card...it's time to get with the program.

I honestly don't see why most people wouldn't just use a credit card considering that you can get 3% cash back with cards these days.  If you are mature enough to pay the bill each month and treat it only as a cash proxy rather than a credit line then it's basically like getting a 3% price reduction on anything you purchase.  Why the heck not?

I don't know what the hell a "Telecheck" is anyway...

+1 Since I have a business CC, I am eligible for 5% at participating retailers like gas stattions. For those of us who drive 1500-2700 miles a WEEK it adds up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Whats a..."check"?

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Stop holding up the line, use plastic.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I use checks just to piss off all the tight assed mutherfuckers who can't wait 30 seconds for anyone else.

I'm going to start using more checks now that I see it's this big of a deal to some wack jobs...
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#33]
I had a similar problem when I bought a Beretta 686 a few years ago. Telecheck rejected the transaction with plenty of money in the account. It seems one of their criteria for "good" checks is they are written out of the account on a weekly basis. If you only write checks occasionally, your check gets flagged as "bad".
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I hate people that still use checks at stores.  Usually they stand their oblivious to what is going on until the cashier says "that will be $65.74".  Only then does the woman, I've never seen a man do this, snap back to reality with a suprised look on her face like she's not sure what is going on, then it will hit her to get out her checkbook.  After 5 minutes of digging through her purse she triumphantly raises the checkbook to start writting the check.  Why she couldn't have done that when her groceries were being rung up is beyond me.  Next she'll take 2 more minutes to write the check before handing it to the cashier.  The cashier will then ask to see her drivers license, 3 more minutes of digging in her purse, plus ask for a phone number.  When the check is finally run through the machine the machine will act up and the check will have to be run through 3 or 4 more times.  Finally the purchase is approved.  People that use checks should be forced into one line so they can't bother the rest of population that can manage to pay in 30 seconds or less.

I don't know if you wife is like the people I just described.  Even if she isn't you won't get any sympathy from me, checks are out dated and nothing but a hassle.

Add to that the ones that continue to stand there and balance their checkbook after the cashier is done.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#36]
These things can be over-ridden by management.   You should check with the manager.   They may value you as a customer.   If not, hint at least that you're going to complain to Telecheck AND his company.  They used to be sensitive to losing a customer, especially if there is really no issue except some glitch in check approval software.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Whats a..."check"?

The thing I use at the DMV because they don't accept CC.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

People still write checks at the grocery store?

My mom does...   And she's mentioned some rude people too.   I watched her once and she pre-fills out the check except for the amount, so she's pretty aware (for 89).   She never learned to drive or swim or use a computer.

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I cant use them at Target of Dicks Sporting Goods. But I can use them at WalMart and Dunhams Sports. I have no clue, I didnt care enough to call the number on the slip. I figure a very common name and a screw up somewhere somehow.

Theyre free and I need deposit slips so I burn them up at Walmart. I sign it and hand it to them to print out.

And FU all it doesnt take any longer than my debit card.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#41]
I cant remember the last time I used a check...
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I hate when people write checks at the store when they have credit or debit cards. It takes FOREVER, don't they realize checks are for big purchase items, it's not the 50's anymore.

Horseshit. Take check out, hand to cashier who does the same things as a CC or debit card does, you don't even fill out the check in most places and unlike CC users, there isn't 3% taken by the CC company which is more profit for the store.

I hate dumbass CC users who have to try 8 different cards to find one that isn't over the limit myself. Nothing like going into debt for milk, eggs, and frozen pizza at 21% interest.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I use checks just to piss off all the tight assed mutherfuckers who can't wait 30 seconds for anyone else.

I'm going to start using more checks now that I see it's this big of a deal to some wack jobs...

Good... I will be the guy behind you with the cell phone taking snapshots of all your info... thanks for the cash sucka!
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

It's nice to know I'm not the only one writing checks at the grocery store.

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
cash is king

Debit card = Cash
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
cash is king

Debit card = Cash

Not if you're dealing with me it's not. If I can't fold it, tear it in half or roll it up and snort a line with it then it's not cash.

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#48]
The grocery store rejected your check?

Just go home, put a nice LP on the record player to relax and use your rotary phone to call Gladys down at the bank.

Next thing you know they'll want you to pump your own leaded gas down at the filling station.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't have a checking account, I don't have a debit card. Everything is cash or credit card. Most of the time it's the credit card because I get 2% cash back. Contrary to belief on arfcom credit cards are not evil, a free 30 day loan...hell yeah.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#50]
God I hate it when I get stuck behind someone writing a damn check.

Debit cards FTW...it's the 21st century after all...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top