Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2010 11:00:16 AM EDT
So I apologize if there is an easy to find location with the info I'm looking for, but if there is I can't find it.  If my question's easily answered somewhere I would greatly appreciate a link.

I'm not really looking for legal advice per se, more of specific states laws in layman's terms for owning an AR with a collapsible stock, ect.  I'm a resident of South Carolina, that spends quite a bit of the year in Georgia.  Neither of which I've been able to find any problems with having an AR, but that's moot.  My problem is that work may have just thrown a wrench in my works and is sending my to the NJ/PA area for a few months.  Most likely living in NJ near PA.  Is there any benefit to being a SC resident living up there?  

Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#1]
live in PA, commute to NJ

PA has no restrictions on AR15's or ammo capacity

NJ was the model for the 94 AW ban, no mags over 15 capacity, no pre-ban provision, no collapsible stocks, bayonet lugs, flash hiders, threaded barrels, so on and so forth.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

NJ was the model for the 94 AW ban, no mags over 15 capacity, no pre-ban provision, no collapsible stocks, bayonet lugs, flash hiders, threaded barrels, so on and so forth.

Yeah, this. Taxes are better in PA, too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm considering it.  But where I'll be is just far enough into NJ that it would be expensive enough to commute that it wouldn't be worth while.  The wonders of owning a Jeep.

I'm assuming you can't posses a high-cap AR in NJ even if you're not shooting it there?  What about people that are driving through?

I'm trying to learn as much as I can.  Weapons laws are one of those things I would like to stay on the good side of the law for.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#4]
CA has the worse laws for evil scary guns. Read the flow chart on Calguns.net if you want to learn about it.

NY's AWB looks like heaven compared to ours.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
CA has the worse laws for evil scary guns. Read the flow chart on Calguns.net if you want to learn about it.

not really, you have preban provisions, and you can install a bullet button and have all the evil features...

OP, where are you working?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are going to be living in NJ, do not take your firearms!!!!

Well, you may be able to get away with a shotgun for defensive purposes, but no handgun or AR!!!!!!!!!

You will kiss the ground of South Carolina upon your return.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#7]
You will be entering a land in which you cannot even pump your own gasoline!  That's right - it's ILLEGAL for you to put gas in your car yourself.

Do everything you can to avoid an iencounter with the NJ State Police Storm Troopers.

In the menu bar at the top is a button labelled "Hometown."  Go to the NJ forum to ask for details.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I seriously think I'd rather be homeless in CA than live in a modest apartment in NJ. Ditto for Maryland.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm considering it.  But where I'll be is just far enough into NJ that it would be expensive enough to commute that it wouldn't be worth while.  The wonders of owning a Jeep.

I'm assuming you can't posses a high-cap AR in NJ even if you're not shooting it there?  What about people that are driving through?

I'm trying to learn as much as I can.  Weapons laws are one of those things I would like to stay on the good side of the law for.

Correct
Peaceable journey laws apply... You can drive through as long as the AR is legal in the state you are starting from and traveling to, but you may not stop.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm considering it. But where I'll be is just far enough into NJ that it would be expensive enough to commute that it wouldn't be worth while. The wonders of owning a Jeep.

I'm assuming you can't posses a high-cap AR in NJ even if you're not shooting it there? What about people that are driving through?

I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Weapons laws are one of those things I would like to stay on the good side of the law for.

Correct

Peaceable journey laws apply... You can drive through as long as the AR is legal in the state you are starting from and traveling to, but you may not stop.

Not even for gas, rest stop break, or food?

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm considering it. But where I'll be is just far enough into NJ that it would be expensive enough to commute that it wouldn't be worth while. The wonders of owning a Jeep.

I'm assuming you can't posses a high-cap AR in NJ even if you're not shooting it there? What about people that are driving through?

I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Weapons laws are one of those things I would like to stay on the good side of the law for.

Correct

Not even for gas, rest stop break, or food?

peaceable journey says you can only make necessary stops... like gas or bathroom or flat tire etc

i wouldn't risk it in NJ

but since the OP is moving to NJ peaceable journey doesn't apply... he isn't passing through... he would leave SC legal, end up in NJ illegal..
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the info... I was afraid of that.    ...and I just bought it.  I guess I'll be trying for a PA apartment and live with the $10+ in gas a day, and I guess I'll at least have my shotgun to blow up some clay.  But, I am glad that I'm able to drive with it from legal state to legal state and not have to ship it if need be.  The amount these laws vary is asinine, but then again preaching to the choir.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:52:04 AM EDT
[#13]
If you're staying in PA, be aware that Philadelphia's gun laws are different from the rest of the state.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:18:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info... I was afraid of that.    ...and I just bought it.  I guess I'll be trying for a PA apartment and live with the $10+ in gas a day, and I guess I'll at least have my shotgun to blow up some clay.  But, I am glad that I'm able to drive with it from legal state to legal state and not have to ship it if need be.  The amount these laws vary is asinine, but then again preaching to the choir.

Drop me an IM with locations and budget info and I'll see what I can do in terms of finding you a good PA location. I live about 2 minutes from two bridges to NJ and the rental prices here are pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:20:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you're staying in PA, be aware that Philadelphia's gun laws are different from the rest of the state.

Doesn't PA have statewide preemption? Reminds me, my PA CCW expires soon.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:04:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't PA have statewide preemption? Reminds me, my PA CCW expires soon.

PA does have pre-emption. The only difference is that open carry iin Philly requires a CCW (it's written in the law that way).
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:09:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just say no to living in NJ/NY

PA is the way to go
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

NJ was the model for the 94 AW ban, no mags over 15 capacity, no pre-ban provision, no collapsible stocks, bayonet lugs, flash hiders, threaded barrels, so on and so forth.  This
Come here so we can give you the same advise
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=50

Stay in PA!!!

I am looking to move to PA in the next 15 Months and commute 1.5 hours each way to live in freedom.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:22:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I seriously think I'd rather be homeless in CA than live in a modest apartment in NJ. Ditto for Maryland.

Maryland is a Semi-Free State.

You can own all sorts of  Class III Goodies there.
They're nutso with 20 round capacity magazines, but they have no problem of a resident going out of State for larger capacity magazines.  You can own machines guns, but they had to be Registered and renew the Registration yearly.  Their Form 1 and Form 4 paperwork is handled by The State Directly instead of Local Authorities.  Some Marylander can fill you on all the goodies they have.

That being said It's been years since I've last set foot Down There.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:11:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

NJ was the model for the 94 AW ban, no mags over 15 capacity, no pre-ban provision, no collapsible stocks, bayonet lugs, flash hiders, threaded barrels, so on and so forth.  This
Come here so we can give you the same advise http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=50

Stay in PA!!!

I am looking to move to PA in the next 15 Months and commute 1.5 hours each way to live in freedom.

this is why i left NJ 4 years ago
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#21]
So I'm 95% sure I've been able to convince them to keep me down here. I'll know for sure in a couple weeks. Here's hoping.

Got some good info from this thread, so thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#22]
You could borrow our law "book".

Sadly it is outdated and does not cover the stuff since 2006.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Um I've shot at carbine matches with guys from NJ. They have ARs but the mags are restricted to 15 rounds. I think you can get a permit to own pistols but not carry. Not that I would choose NJ over PA if I was concerned about firearms ownership. PA is pretty good, except for not being able to hunt with semi automatic rifles (or something like that)

in NJ you need an FID card to purchase and carry long guns, and I am almost positive you need it to buy handgun ammo (maybe even rifle now). you need to apply for a handgun purchase permit for every handgun you want to buy. the FID card is good forever, the handgun purchase permit expires 90 days after issued with an option for a 90 day extension. concealed carry is on the books, but it is not a shall-issue state. concealed carry permits are typically only issued if you can get the approval of a judge, but even then there is no such thing as self-defense in NJ, so it's really a moot point.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

not really, you have preban provisions, and you can install a bullet button and have all the evil features...

OP, where are you working?

BBs suck. Enough said.

At least in NY, I can drop my mag with a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I heard you need that card to buy BB guns

this is correct. Air rifles and black powder are considered firearms.

BB guns (pistols) are considered handguns are require a handgun purchase permit

it's pretty fucked up considering in PA none of these things are regulated as firearms and can be bought at most walmarts or sporting goods stores
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#28]
It's actually interesting to me that PA is that nice of a state with guns because I know they're are sorts of terrible for the Jeep crowd.  I mean shit, I have SC tags on mine and got pulled over in PA for having my doors off.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I heard you need that card to buy BB guns
I have Bad News and Good News

Bad News

This is correct. You will need a Pistol Purchase Permit for  BB Gun Pistol

Good News

The good news  is ,I went looking at more houses in PA today.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Um I've shot at carbine matches with guys from NJ. They have ARs but the mags are restricted to 15 rounds. I think you can get a permit to own pistols but not carry. Not that I would choose NJ over PA if I was concerned about firearms ownership. PA is pretty good, except for not being able to hunt with semi automatic rifles (or something like that)

Correct, semi-autos are a no-go for hunting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top