Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/15/2010 9:18:01 PM EDT

The B-1R Air Dominance Fighter!

Everything about that concept screams.........

America, fuck yeah!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#1]
What no embedding?

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#2]
The BoneR huh?

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What no embedding?

Personally, I think embedding videos on a forum sucks. I don't know about everyone else, but I'd much rather click a link and let the video load in a new window, so I can continue browsing and posting in threads while I wait.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The BoneR huh?

Good one!

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What no embedding?

Personally, I think embedding videos on a forum sucks. I don't know about everyone else, but I'd much rather click a link and let the video load in a new window, so I can continue browsing and posting in threads while I wait.

you know that when video is embedded you have 2 choices, click to watch it as it is on the forum, or click on it  around the play button in the center and it will open up new page directly at youtube.

but to topic, I dont think B1R will ever happen. we will see.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#6]
BONER ftw!
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm digging the tail config.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#8]
We will definitely need something in addition to the F-22.  Something cheap and easy to build.  Much like the F-16 was to the F-15.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]
The B-1R is really a stellar idea.  It's SO good, in fact, that I have to wonder what we have that makes it a waste of time.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We will definitely need something in addition to the F-22.  Something cheap and easy to build.  Much like the F-16 was to the F-15.

That was supposed to be the F-35.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Primorsky will be along any minute now to say the B1-R will fall apart at the sight of Russian aircraft in the event of a dog fight...

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#12]
i don't know anything about a2a combat, but by golly that sounds awesome.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well it wouldn't be a B1R if you wanted something cheap.

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The B-1R is really a stellar idea.  It's SO good, in fact, that I have to wonder what we have that makes it a waste of time.  

Barack Obama and Robert Gates?  
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

That might not be why it hasn't been made... Far more likely there just isn't the money nor the need... How many air-forces on Earth could throw an entire wing of fighters at us at once if they wanted to anyway? Especially that we couldn't just deal with using fighters anyway. Besides, a strategic bomber is so valuable, fucking with one might be a bad idea. Nothing worse than losing one of those from the inventory... Well, except losing a carrier.

That said, it's damn cool. If only the B-1B line was still open.
Now... I tell you who could really, really use them... The Australians... As an F-111 replacement... Fuck, China would throw a temper tantrum.

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Almost a Star Wars opening sequence, but in the air, oh well. Need another beer...
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#19]
The thing is with B-1Bs you have to generate 2 jets just to get one off the ground. The B-1B is a huge POS.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The thing is with B-1Bs you have to generate 2 jets just to get one off the ground. The B-1B is a huge POS.

That's what happens when you don't have enough of something. It breaks, and it's tough to fix it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Does anyone remember a novel from the mid 90s or so that utilized this concept? It was a few AMRAAM armed B1s ambushing a Russian raid on a carrier group. The lead pilot muses that he has the highest kill score and that it ain't bad for a bomber pilot. It wasn't Dale Brown either.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Burka, Burka, Burka
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Who's got the money to field all those targets?  China perhaps in the future?  

The flying boner, it'll stick the wood to the bag guys.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Fighters do the same thing. they do back up A/C. At Misawa the 13th would have 3 backups ready for the day. On the last go of the day, ops would throw some pilots in them and fly them.

But I agree its is the most MX intense jet I have been around. I used to work with C5 too. So that's saying a lot.

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what happens when you don't have enough of something. It breaks, and it's tough to fix it.

B-1s are notoriously unreliable. The mission capable (MC) rates are terrible. As much as I hate to say (I hate the BUFF) the B-52 is a much better aircraft IMHO. I've worked B-52Hs from '02-'05 and '08-present.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fighters do the same thing. they do back up A/C. At Misawa the 13th would have 3 backups ready for the day. On the last go of the day, ops would throw some pilots in them and fly them.

But I agree its is the most MX intense jet I have been around. I used to work with C5 too. So that's saying a lot.

You know that with heavies (which the B-1 is) only 1 spare is ready. The AF tries to fly the B-1 like a fighter which it's really not.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Interesting, I was waiting for your input on this. I had this idea a few years ago so I figured it was sure to be shit!

It seems it is underpinned on extending the amraam range, making it no longer the amraam I guess, the F-22's remaining undetected, and the russkies not also developing a super long range missile.  Also holy hell the closure rates in that encounter! Those boners are covering significant distances while still rippling missiles.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#28]
DO WANT!

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, I was waiting for your input on this. I had this idea a few years ago so I figured it was sure to be shit!

It seems it is underpinned on extending the amraam range, making it no longer the amraam I guess, the F-22's remaining undetected, and the russkies not also developing a super long range missile.  Also holy hell the closure rates in that encounter! Those boners are covering significant distances while still rippling missiles.

Current range on the latest AMRAAM is in excess of 120 nautical miles, or significantly more, depending on the flight envelope at launch and the kinematics of the intercept.

The F-22 is incredibly stealthy.

The Russians have very long ranged BVRAAMs, but they generally suck ass at engaging targets with low RCS or high kinematics, and are pretty impotent against targets with both qualities (B-1R, F-22). You add our EW abilities into it, which make us gods in air warfare, and the Ruskies are fucked.

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Does anyone remember a novel from the mid 90s or so that utilized this concept? It was a few AMRAAM armed B1s ambushing a Russian raid on a carrier group. The lead pilot muses that he has the highest kill score and that it ain't bad for a bomber pilot. It wasn't Dale Brown either.

Tag

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#31]
My BIL is a B-1 pilot.

I have not talked to him much since he was deployed flying a desk in Iraq on this last one.

I did mention the rumor about the F-22 engines to him about five years ago and he really thought that was not going to happen.

We don't spend too much time talking planes though as rather drinking and planning hog hunts.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tag

I thought that was "plan of Attack" with the Vampire bombers...
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tag

Been a while since I read that book... I don't remember any engagement of Soviet Naval Aviation a Russian carrier strike package by any super-B-1Bs, although that certainly sounds like a Brown thing.
I remember Plan of Attack being cool and yet disappointing and not grounded in reality in the slightest.

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tag

The Sixth Battle by Barrett Tillman

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's it!!!
THANK YOU!!!

That has been bugging the hell outta me ever since that show with the B1R...sad thing is I should have a copy of that in my closet somewhere...gonna have to dig around for it.

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Current range on the latest AMRAAM is in excess of 120 nautical miles, or significantly more, depending on the flight envelope at launch and the kinematics of the intercept.

The F-22 is incredibly stealthy.

The Russians have very long ranged BVRAAMs, but they generally suck ass at engaging targets with low RCS or high kinematics, and are pretty impotent against targets with both qualities (B-1R, F-22). You add our EW abilities into it, which make us gods in air warfare, and the Ruskies are fucked.

Until you said that I was thinking this thing would be a bitchin' platform for some Phoenix missiles.

And that plane gives me a chub...
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#37]
WHO is gonna PAY FOR THIS??

BARRY SORENTO???

Also, doesn't hanging all those missles off the belly defeat the stealth of the B-1???

BONE-R....BONER.....That's a GREAT ONE!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You add our EW abilities into it, which make us gods in air warfare, and the Ruskies are fucked.

Dream on. Long range SAMs are capable to blow your planes out of the sky. Meter-band radars as additional radar acquisition for S-400 L-band radars(that are almost jamproof by the fact) making stealth tricks nearly useless.

B1R upgrade is still looking cool.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You add our EW abilities into it, which make us gods in air warfare, and the Ruskies are fucked.

Dream on. Long range SAMs are capable to blow your planes out of the sky. Meter-band radars as additional radar acquisition for S-400 L-band radars(that are almost jamproof by the fact) making stealth tricks nearly useless.

+

=

More than one way to skin a cat...quite literally in this instance.

Go ahead, try and burn through our ECM.  We've got a little present for you.

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Never will happen.

Typical overblown exaggerated BS that you see on TV all the time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Well, I for one, would not want to fly a big ass B1R with all those fighters around. Seems you'd be shot down asap.

Waste of money.
Just build more F-22 and be done with it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dream on. Long range SAMs are capable to blow your planes out of the sky.

Ummm... Hate to break this to you Comradski, but we were talking about BVRAAMs, not SAMs...

Meter-band radars as additional radar acquisition for S-400 L-band
radars(that are almost jamproof by the fact) making stealth tricks
nearly useless.

Not all stealth is equal... I will give you Russians credit... You have perfected air defenses to shoot down the F-117s particular brand of stealth... Good job... Considering that we just retired them all, I guess it won't bother you guys any when we rebuild and sell them to Poland.

You know, nothing keeps you guys from sticking the MiG-25s radar in an Tu-160 and loading it full of BVRAAMs... After all, it's a copy of the B-1A to start with.

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#43]
AWACS and 5  B-52 drones loaded to the hilt with missiles and ECM.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 11:44:53 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

You know, nothing keeps you guys from sticking the MiG-25s radar in an Tu-160 and loading it full of BVRAAMs... After all, it's a copy of the B-1A to start with.

Whoa whoa whoa.  The B1ski is NOT a copy of the bone.  They just HAPPEN to look exactly like each other.

Our local minister of disinformation has already covered that one.

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#45]
That thing sure is sexy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoa whoa whoa.  The B1ski is NOT a copy of the bone.  They just HAPPEN to look exactly like each other.

To be honest, the Tu-160 isn't a copy of the Bone... It's a copy of the Bone's father, the B-1A... They made some interesting improvements actually. But they fucked some stuff up too... And the Tu-160 will never come close to handling like a B-1B does.

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 11:54:48 PM EDT
[#47]
F-18F  - 10 AIM-120 and 2 AIM-9

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

F-18F  - 10 AIM-120 and 2 AIM-9

http://www.indiadaily.com/images/editorial/2056_320.jpg

The F-22 is currently intended to be able to carry two AMRAAMs on each wing hardpoint (total of eight), plus six internal (grand total of 14 AMRAAMs), plus two AIM-9Ms.

Now, that doesn't factor in future plans to integrate a triple-rack for the F-22 external hardpoints... Which would give you a total of 18 AMRAAMs and 2 AIM-9s.

Add on top of that the fact that the F-22 has a riduculous, near order-of-magnitude better kinematic advantage for launch, and the abilities would be scary.

Of course, sacrificing the stealth characteristics of the F-22 for external stores would be kinda retarded... But if someone is magically generating wing-scale sorties of Flankers... Well, let's just say I'm not too worried about the Raptor getting hurt, even with stealth removed totally (and it wouldn't be).

The main thing about the B-1R, is the potential to mount a ridiculously powerful radar on it, and the kinematic advantage of it as a launch platform, in addition to stores capacity.

Whilst the F/A-18E is quite impressive in loadout and its ability to kill enemy fighters... The simple fact is, it will never be able to take full advantage of the AMRAAMs abilities, due to kinematics.

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 12:09:10 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is why I think it is fucking hilarious that China screwed them on the illegal copies of their SU-27. And the fucks had the nerve to be upset about it. Clowns...

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 12:14:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's it!!!
THANK YOU!!!

That has been bugging the hell outta me ever since that show with the B1R...sad thing is I should have a copy of that in my closet somewhere...gonna have to dig around for it.

Yeah, the B1s unloaded 180 AMRAAMs on the Backfire Regiment. The EWO starts screaming about F16 class radar, and the Backfire CO thinks 'That's impossible, we're in the middle of the Indian Ocean!'
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top