Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/10/2010 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to change my name to Mohammed Mohammed Mohammed.  Then when I renew my drivers license, refuse to get my photo taken...religious reasons, you understand.
Link Posted: 4/10/2010 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're talking about black people in America doing it, it's because their former name is their "slave name."

No, it's not just Blacks who do it.  It's an Islam thing.  Look at Yusuf Islam (aka Cat Stevens).

that's a good example
why do Muslim store owners named Mohammed call themselves "Mike", and Hassan or Hussein call themselves  "Sam"?

Link Posted: 4/10/2010 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Korean roommate had a Catholic name.

well, that explains it.  thanks.

It is common of many cultures

I'm not Catholic (so a real catholic will have to help us out)

but as they get "confirmed: they will add a saints name

So "Mr Harry Old Man"  would be "Mr Harry Old Joe Man" (Joe being the name of a saint).

(I did not use a real saints name since I really don't know them)

I'm Catholic and I actually took the Saint's name that shares mine.  It used to be a big deal (required) to take a Saint's name when you got confirmed, but not anymore.  Most do just for the symbolism, but regardless, the confirmed Catholic doesn't change the name they go by.  This confirmation name is just what goes down in any records and something that might mean alot to them in their full acceptance of the faith.  My fiance' is a convert and took the name Mary Magdalene cause she's the patron saint of converts.  It was especially meaningful to her because, coincidentally in this thread, she's a convert from islam.
Link Posted: 4/10/2010 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

that's a good example
why do Muslim store owners named Mohammed call themselves "Mike", and Hassan or Hussein call themselves  "Sam"?

[/quote]

Fits the name tag on the shirt better.  7-11 doesn't have very big name tags...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top