Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2010 9:47:14 PM EDT
I have always wondered if a person on antidepressants can still purchase guns.

I think there is a question asking, if you have been diagnosed with depression etc....

Can you?
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

However, it's up to you and your therapist to make an informed decision whether or not your treatment is advanced or effective enough to make possession of a firearm a good idea.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I think there is a question asking, if you have been diagnosed with depression etc....

Can you?

Pretty sure you can't only if you have been deemed mentally ill by the state.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, so you have to tell them that you have guns upfront?

Link Posted: 3/28/2010 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Its up to you what you tell them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/28/2010 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I think some ADs are also used for smoking cessation and other weird things like sleep disorders. It would be the state deeming a person mentally unstable to really make it where they couldn't purchase a gun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think some ADs are also used for smoking cessation and other weird things like sleep disorders. It would be the state deeming a person mentally unstable to really make it where they couldn't purchase a gun.

Migraines too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#8]
i dont see how'd they ever find out
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes.

However, it's up to you and your therapist licensed drug dealer to make an informed decision whether or not your treatment is advanced or effective enough to make possession of a firearm a good idea.

Fixed.

Link Posted: 3/28/2010 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

However, it's up to you and your therapist licensed drug dealer to make an informed decision whether or not your treatment is advanced or effective enough to make possession of a firearm a good idea.

Fixed.

I LoL'ed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Fixed.

I LoL'ed.

Everyone I know on ADs is more seriously fucked up by being on them, several are downright schizo

Link Posted: 3/28/2010 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Fixed.

I LoL'ed.

Everyone I know on ADs is more seriously fucked up by being on them, several are downright schizo

Have you seen them off their meds for a significant period of time?

Care to post your PhD in psychology or behavioral medicine?  Now, I don't have one either, but I CAN post my ICD9s and the shit I went through that gives me a much better idea than you apparently have of what we're talking about.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Fixed.

I LoL'ed.

I'm more fucked up off them trust me. I'm fucking half retarded either way though
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to post your PhD in psychology or behavioral medicine?  Now, I don't have one either, but I CAN post my ICD9s and the shit I went through that gives me a much better idea than you apparently have of what we're talking about.

I was pretty much raised on them

When I moved out at 18, I went cold turkey and havent looked back.  All those doctors were telling me that I had to have them to stay safe, and that I shouldnt ever buy guns

I'm convinced the fucktards just wanted my parents money, because here I am 6 years later, with tons of guns and happy as can be
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Fixed.

I LoL'ed.

My own mother so yes.  I work with several crazies too who go off their meds on occasion or have to be cycled onto another med because the previous one stopped working, those gaps in cycles are always good for a laugh and/or awkward moment.

I am assuming you are involved in that profession in some way, I'd also hazard a guess you think they are far too commonly prescribed.

Link Posted: 3/28/2010 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#16]
They probably don't need the anti-depressants once they start shooting, they'll be happy again.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#17]
This whole bit about mental illness disqualifying people from owning guns is a bad idea.

1. If they want a gun they can still get one.

2. It discourages people from seeking out help for fear of losing their gun rights.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 10:45:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

This whole bit about mental illness disqualifying people from owning guns is a bad idea.

2. It discourages people from seeking out help for fear of losing their gun rights.

+10000.

I *might* know someone who has suffered from bouts of depression for years, but has not sought treatment due to the career and legal implications.

It *might* even run in his entire family, who are all military personnel, who have done the same thing.

It's a fucked up situation and only makes things worse.

Link Posted: 3/28/2010 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#19]
In reference of someone who said antidepressants don't work.

My brother's wife was completely FUCKED in the head, she is always crying, getting mad that my brother will not take up her religion(she it Pentecostal, brother said it was CRAZY in her church, he went with her 1 time, then said fuck that) she always wants her way, she wanted to know where every fucking penny went, that he spent, she demanded that he gives her his check, and gives him 50$ a week to spend on himself, the rest has to go through her, my brother could not take it anymore, asked her for a divorce, she said no, then tried to stab him with a big ass knife, THEN she tried to shoot herself with one my guns I let my brother use for home protection, he took the kids and went to live with my mom/dad for a few days, then she finally admitted that she is a complete fucking nut(she convinced herself it was all my brother fault), told her doc, the doc said she was the problem, he said she REALLY needed help (border line bipolar?) she was diagnosed with all kinds of shit, severe anxiety / panic attacks every day, severe depression etc...

They got her on 2 pills(one in a blue thin rectangle box), it just fucking amazed me how she is so upbeat, she lost like 20lbs(about 5'8" 110 now), she not longer goes ape shit if my brothers comes home after 5PM, or if he goes out a buys something without her permission, he said she wants to fuck all the time, cooks every meal from scratch, always wants to go out to do something, I NEVER see them argue anymore, she also lets him hold onto his earned cash.

My brother said she is like a new woman.

She thought the pills were just a placebo effect after the first 2 months of use, she quit taking them without my brother knowing, she got worse and worse as the days went on, until my brother said WTF, then counted her pills and confronted her, then she broke down and started crying, then started taking them again.

Now he has to hand feed the pills to her everyday, the first week he started hand feeding her the pills, she said "I'm that bad?", he just handed her a glass of water then gave her that look.

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.

Fixed.

I LoL'ed.

The drugs are designed to make people more messed up.

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 12:57:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Fixed.

I LoL'ed.

The drugs are designed to make people more messed up.

Yeah, all those thousands of researchers are looking for ways to ruin lives.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 1:10:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Now that Uncle Sam owns your medical records, it's not much of a stretch to put you on a no gun list that will hit the background check.  They could do it just like the no fly list.  It'd make sense from their perspective to add anyone that loses a job, files for divorce or returns from a combat tour as well.  

Scared yet?
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 1:23:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My brother's wife was completely FUCKED in the head, she is always crying, getting mad that my brother will not take up her religion(she it Pentecostal, brother said it was CRAZY in her church, he went with her 1 time, then said fuck that) she always wants her way, she wanted to know where every fucking penny went, that he spent, she demanded that he gives her his check, and gives him 50$ a week to spend on himself, the rest has to go through her, my brother could not take it anymore, asked her for a divorce, she said no, then tried to stab him with a big ass knife, THEN she tried to shoot herself with one my guns I let my brother use for home protection, he took the kids and went to live with my mom/dad for a few days, then she finally admitted that she is a complete fucking nut(she convinced herself it was all my brother fault), told her doc, the doc said she was the problem, he said she REALLY needed help (border line bipolar?) she was diagnosed with all kinds of shit, severe anxiety / panic attacks every day, severe depression etc...

They got her on 2 pills(one in a blue thin rectangle box), it just fucking amazed me how she is so upbeat, she lost like 20lbs(about 5'8" 110 now), she not longer goes ape shit if my brothers comes home after 5PM, or if he goes out a buys something without her permission, he said she wants to fuck all the time, cooks every meal from scratch, always wants to go out to do something, I NEVER see them argue anymore, she also lets him hold onto his earned cash.

She thought the pills were just a placebo effect after the first 2 months of use, she quit taking them without my brother knowing, she got worse and worse as the days went on, until my brother said WTF, then counted her pills and confronted her, then she broke down and started crying, then started taking them again.

Now he has to hand feed the pills to her everyday, the first week he started hand feeding her the pills, she said "I'm that bad?", he just handed her a glass of water then gave her that look.

He married her when she was a nut or did he knock her up or something?
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 1:25:03 AM EDT
[#24]
The key words are "Adjudicated Mentally Defective" which means a judge has made a legal decision regarding your mental competency. Being diagnosed with a mental disorder by a Doctor does not prevent a person from purchasing firearms. The exact wording in the form 4473 is as follows:

Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes having been adjudicated incompetent to manage your own
affairs) or have you ever been committed to a mental institution?
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 1:44:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Can you?

The question on the 4473 pertains to whether you have been ajudicated mentally ill––this means you have been involuntarily committed to a hospital for treatment.  Just taking some medicine is not a factor.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 1:46:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Fixed.

And your solution to the pervasive problem of Major Depression is?????
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 1:46:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Fixed.

I LoL'ed.

Sounds like you could use a little anti-psychotic yourself
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 2:09:13 AM EDT
[#28]
The Virginia tech killer was commited at one point and still was able to buy guns.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 2:16:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Good points.

In CT as long as you haven't been hospitalized by order of a judge for mental reasons within a certain period of time (10 or twenty years?), or declared "mentally defective" by a judge, you are good to go.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 2:22:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Fixed.

And your solution to the pervasive problem of Major Depression is?????

I had major depression for many years, and I beat it without the ADs.  They always wanted to put me on them, and I did for a while, but refused past a certain point, because I decided that if I was depressed then so be it.  I needed to just learn how to deal with it.  That attitude shift, along with a few other things did the trick.  You could google "mindfulness" if you want to learn about the thing that helped me the most.  In a nutshell, it means focusing on the here and now as much as possible.

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 2:27:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Fixed.

I LoL'ed.

The voices in my head seem to be in the general consensus that you want to take our guns. We don't like you anymore, and are considering legal action, and possibly stalking.

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 4:56:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I know several veterans and cops who feel that exact way.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 4:58:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

THIS.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 5:03:43 AM EDT
[#34]

can you guys on antidressants still purchase guns?

Do antidressants make you wanna run around nekkid or what?

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 5:19:56 AM EDT
[#35]
wait until the Government can tie your Medical records to your IRS records to the FBI records that maintain the database the local Gun dealer calls for your yellow sheet..

anti-depressant use is going to FLAG gun ownership and eventually ammo ownership,,yes, I think they are going to register ammo sales. cant control the guns, control the
thing makes the gun run.
any and all Psycho Therapy will flag gun ownership once they access your medical records, HIPPA is a thing of the past...the GOVmEt is up your ASS

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The Virginia tech killer was commited at one point and still was able to buy guns.

Cho was not involuntarily committed.  At a commitment hearing people who haven't really gone off the deep end are often given a choice by the judge - go seek treatment voluntarily or you will be involuntarily committed by the state.  Cho went voluntarily to "outpatient" treatment, hence he was not a prohibited person.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 5:52:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I use a very light AD for headaches, back pain and the sleep issues stemming from that . It's about 1/3 the dose of someone using it for depression.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 5:53:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Yep, you hit that nail on the head.  knocked up, 1 month after they fucked(basicly first date), she moved in with him, then a week later they got married.

I thought the kid was not his for sure, but his little girl looks so much like him.
Quoted:
Quoted:

He married her when she was a nut or did he knock her up or something?

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 5:53:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Yes I can...and will continue to.  It's when I haven't had my ADs for a few days when people need to watch out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 6:03:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Well you have to wear pants in order to get service at my local gun stores so antidressants would be a no go.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 6:08:47 AM EDT
[#41]
I would not want to be labeled as "depressed" by a doctor and perscribed AD's. First of all now you have a "pre-existing condition" and can have major insurance troubles. Second at some point in the future who knows what whacky legislation the dems will come up with. One day depression could be legally declare a major liability and you could be banned from owning guns... call me paranoid but why take the chance.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 6:26:03 AM EDT
[#42]
LOTS of people seem to have an opinion here.  Are you ALL depressed?
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#43]
I thought guns were an anti-depressant.  They've always worked for me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Fixed.

I LoL'ed.

I used to work with a guy that was on AD's and he either forgot to take his medicine or went off them, came into work and went off the deep end.  He started into a profanity laced tirade and began throwing paper and furniture all over the place.  The secretary called the police and they removed him, the big boss didn't file charges, but would not let him come back until he was "medically cleared" to return to work.  Scared the shit out of me, I seriously thought for a minute that I might die.

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

It's coming. Govt healthcare. Big brother will be watching and reading your medical info.

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's coming. Govt healthcare. Big brother will be watching and reading your medical info.

Damn, that's enough to make me depressed.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

They are knowingly creating meds that are designed to create dysfunction in order to mask other dysfunction.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Most of arfcom self-medicates with teh booze, eliminating the red tape.
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

They are knowingly creating meds that are designed to create dysfunction in order to mask other dysfunction.

My god, are you fucking serious???  Have you ever read anything about hard neurobiology or neuropharmacology?  Obviously not.
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My god, are you fucking serious???  Have you ever read anything about hard neurobiology or neuropharmacology?  Obviously not.

I've read plenty of research papers and have dealt with more than my fair share of the crackpots in the mental health community. Oh and I've also been on the board of a well known national mental health organization, been on national television to speak about mental health issues, assisted in the research for Fluvoxamine, and set up one medical conference.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top